Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:00:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227825 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Sandra Day O'Connor retires from Supreme Court
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sandra Day O'Connor retires from Supreme Court  (Read 6757 times)
GnRNightrain
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2005, 12:01:10 AM »

I dont know what a moderate judge is?? I know I have used the term, but only to refer to other peoples' characterizations of the court.? Either you follow the actual Constitution, or you depart from it.? Those that depart from it are activists.? So I guess you could characterize a moderate as semi-activist; or an activist some of the time?? That certainly would have fit O'Connor.

Well, that's a gross simplification if there ever was one.
I actually dont think it is.  Well, perhaps from one perspective.  Among those that dont interpret according to the Constitution's true meaning there are many philosophies.  But either you follow the original true meaning or you dont.

In truth, there are two ways to interpret the constitution, and both are equally valid.? You are either an originalist (you believe in following every letter of the constitution as it is written) or you are a "Living constitutionalist" (you believe in following the spirit of the forefathers words as they apply to todays more modern society).? ?A moderate would be someone who applied both approaches, depending on their opinion of application and it's relevance.
? I actually agree with you, except I dont think the "living Constitution" approach is valid.? It certainly isnt following the Constitution according to how it was understood when it was enacted.? As you can see in many of the opinions they basically make it up as they go along, and then cite previous poorly decided/reasoned cases as precedent for their new actions.? What you end up with is a complete mess.? I think it is comparable to someone who lies, and then forgets their story so they keep lying until they end up in a big mess.? Right now much of the Supreme Court's jurisprudence is a mess because of this.? Furthermore, the whole reason that we have the current mess in the confirmation process is because of the "living Consitution" approach and other activist approaches.? You are right in that a "Moderate" follows one philosophy half of the time, and follows the other philosphy the other half.? I think that is exactly what I was alluding to.

Believing in a living constitution does not make you an activist.? To paint that picture is to politicize and vilify their viewpoint simply because you disagree with it.?
It certainly does.? Of course I think it is the wrong way to go, but you dont have to view the term "activist" negatively to characterize what they are doing properly.? Throwing away historical understanding, going away from the text, and following precedent half the time when it suits your position is clearly activist.? Some people want the court to play this role and others are ignorant of the fact that the court is playing this role.? I prefer policy and law to be dermined by democracy.? But hey, Im just an originalist.

Ditto with being an originalist: Interpreting in such a manner does not make you a right wing religious zealot.Certainly it does not.? However, the term "activist" is not aimed at just liberals, but also Conservatives.? I would call our current Chief Justice an "activist" in many of his decisions, and surely he is not a liberal.? Likewise, I would call Warren Burger an "activist".
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 12:03:32 AM by GnRNightrain » Logged
GnRNightrain
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2005, 12:14:27 AM »

I do find it humorous that many on the left are demanding that Bush point a "moderate" because Sandra Day O'Connor was a "moderate".  Of course, nothing was said when Ruth Bader Ginsberg was appointed to fill the place of Byron White, a conservative and dissenter in Roe v. Wade.  In fact, Ginsberg was formerly head counsel of the ACLU.  Thus, Clinton had no problem with appointing someone from the extreme left, and the Republicans appointed.  The appointment of Ginsberg would be the equivilant of Bush appointing the head counsel of the Christian Coalition.
BigCombo
Rocker

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2005, 12:59:24 AM »

I do find it humorous that many on the left are demanding that Bush point a "moderate" because Sandra Day O'Connor was a "moderate".? Of course, nothing was said when Ruth Bader Ginsberg was appointed to fill the place of Byron White, a conservative and dissenter in Roe v. Wade.? In fact, Ginsberg was formerly head counsel of the ACLU.? Thus, Clinton had no problem with appointing someone from the extreme left, and the Republicans appointed.? The appointment of Ginsberg would be the equivilant of Bush appointing the head counsel of the Christian Coalition.

Actually, Ginsberg was reccomended to Clinton by Orin Hatch (R, Utah) and got through congress with relative ease.  I think it would be better for America if Bush consults democrats and nominates someone they will aprove of rather than someone the dems will definitely fillabuster.  I also find it amusing that some of the republicans are already against nominating Alberto Gonzales because apparently he isn't conversative enough for their liking. 

The frustating thing about this is that its political.  I admit I know little about the difference in interpreting the constitution, but how does politcal affiliation have anyting to do with that? 

I just hope this thing doesn't turn into the John Bolton fiasco...
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: