Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 11:24:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Live 8, reviews of Robbie Williams ( must read for non believers !!)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live 8, reviews of Robbie Williams ( must read for non believers !!)  (Read 6421 times)
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« on: July 07, 2005, 03:26:59 AM »

The Daily Mail
Madonna...gave a brilliant performance of Like a Prayer. That's star quality for you. Even so, she was outshone by Robbie Williams. He picked up Live 8, put it in his pocket and walked away with the show just as Queen did 20 years ago. Robbie brilliantly worked the crowd - and the TV cameras. The cheeky grins, the winks, the jokes, Robbie had it all. He won the (Freddie) Mercury Prize, hands-down.

The Independant
The modern Robbie Williams was built for these events. The man did 3 nights at Knebworth and pulled it off. This, if anything, is bigger. He's a consummate showman.

'Cheeky Robbie steals the Show' Mail on Sunday
Total Showman - Robbie Williams stunned the crowd with a bilstering set.
Robbie Williams stole the show last night with a blistering three-song set. From the time he appeard on stage, Williams had the crowd waving and chanting...then he went into a belting version of Let Me Entertain You, getting the audience to bounce up and down, even though many of them had been on their feet for more than 10 hours...A total showman, he sang soulfully into the camera before concluding the set. During the show, as fireworks went off, he told the crowd how glad he was to be back: and if Robbie loved the crowd, the crowd loved him right back. When he left the stage he received the wildest applause of the day.

Sunday Mirror
The cheeky chappie of pop set Hyde Park alight wiht an incredible performance. Almost 2 years since his last gig, Robbie was determined to make a splash and he did. If the Americans still haven't cottoned on to his ability after last night, they don't deserve him.

Sunday Mirror
Robbie Williams rocked Hyde Park in an explosive set - his first live gig in two years. And he admitted he'd been racked by nerves...

Daily Telegraph
If anyone could take the scene-stealing mantle of Freddie Mercury, it would be Robbie. He didn't disappoint, even opening with Queen's We Will Rock You. Big hits, delivered with pizzazz and passion. Went walkabout during Angels, leaving the crowd to carry it with the biggest group singalong of the day.

The Sun
In buoyant mood, Robbie bounced around the stage singing We Will Rock You. Many watching stage-side thought he had stolen the show. he certainly got the loudest cheer - an ear-bashing 119.5 decibels.

The Telephraph
Guess who stole the show? picture of Robbie.

The Guardian
Berated by Madonna, Rocked by Robbie, Stunned inito silence by images of famine

.....after Mariah Carey, you suspect that Robbie Williams could come on, read the long-range weather forecast and still be greeted like Caesar entering Rome. Instead he does his all-guns-blazing routine, involving a cover of Queen's We Will Rock You, a kiss for a girl in the front row and a finale of Angels. The well-worn cliche about his great showmanship is well-worn only because it is true.

The London Standard
Most exciting of all were those whose mere presence injected electricity. Robbie Williams was so magnificent that even Angels and Let Me Entertain You sounded fresh.
5 stars out of 5: simply Britain's greatest entertainer

The Independent
Robbie Williams restored excitement with a brief set that confirmed him as one of the bravura performers of his era, part cheeky chappie, part brash rocker, all entertainer.

Nothing to say
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 04:18:00 AM »

yeah thats pretty funny, because he sucks ass.

and pink floyd stole the show, WORLDWIDE. VR is next :=]

Jessica
Legend

Still there

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 04:28:34 AM »

yeah thats pretty funny, because he sucks ass.

and pink floyd stole the show, WORLDWIDE. VR is next :=]

You're fooling yourself, i saw it. Everybody was BORED until robbie rocked it. And from what i heard of people who were in the crowd, first row and last rows, it's true. it was boring, everyone was BUT rob.

Nothing to say
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 07:36:14 AM »

Say what you want about this guy, but I don't think anyone since Axl Rose had this kind of power over the crowd. His live shows are magnificent

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 08:44:31 AM »

Jesus, I remember seeing this guy back in 1997, when he first started his solo career.

I was like "he's a fuckin entertainer. He's gonna make it big."

And I guess I was right. I still have that ticket...

John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 09:10:31 AM »

he is an enterteiner. You won't see him in the "greatest singers" list after 10 or 50 years. he was just a guy who was great on stage and did a few lyrics for a few songs.
Jessica
Legend

Still there

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 09:20:12 AM »

Say what you want about this guy, but I don't think anyone since Axl Rose had this kind of power over the crowd. His live shows are magnificent

True, he is the only artist who has ever made me cry because a show ended too soon in my opinion, quality quality emotion.

I mean it.

Nothing to say
Jessica
Legend

Still there

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 09:22:17 AM »

he is an enterteiner. You won't see him in the "greatest singers" list after 10 or 50 years. he was just a guy who was great on stage and did a few lyrics for a few songs.

But then, sinatra wasn't an amazing singer, yet, he WAS.

In a way, Rob's the same. He could be called CHARISMA:AURA. That guy is pure love as in universal kind of something special.

And i bet he does as good as tom jones in terms of longevity.

Nothing to say
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 09:38:48 AM »

so he is a good clown / entertainer.
is that what music should be about ?

britney is an entertainer too. marilyn manson is one too.

pink floyd stay still, and have so much more talent ....

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 10:11:36 AM »

so he is a good clown / entertainer.
is that what music should be about ?

britney is an entertainer too. marilyn manson is one too.

pink floyd stay still, and have so much more talent ....

The difference between Britney and Robbie is that Robbie has a good voice and talent. Britney's career was based on old men's sexual hunger.

I don't think Manson and Williams have much in common. And let's not talk about Floyd and Williams in the same thread. It's...  nervous

As you can see I'm not defending Williams, as I'm not a big fan of his. I won a contest back in 1997 and went from Greece to London to see him. I saw a nice entertainer, who had the potential to be a big star.

Elvis was an entertainer too... Should we discuss about him too?

Jessica
Legend

Still there

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 10:18:02 AM »

but wether one does music or else, one is still an artist ,therefore, an entertainer.

Now i have seen cirque du soleil clowns, i can tell you that some clowns have more talent than half the world's singers reunited.

Entertainement is supposed to make people happy or enlight people as to what happens around them.

Music is not supposed to be anout anything in particular.

Are there any written or oral rules as to what music is if not a form of expression ?

Nothing to say
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 11:12:59 AM »

but wether one does music or else, one is still an artist ,therefore, an entertainer.

Now i have seen cirque du soleil clowns, i can tell you that some clowns have more talent than half the world's singers reunited.

Entertainement is supposed to make people happy or enlight people as to what happens around them.

Music is not supposed to be anout anything in particular.

Are there any written or oral rules as to what music is if not a form of expression ?

no but i was just making sure that we were talking about entertainment . specifically.
same things with movies. war of the worlds can sure be entertaining. but its does NOT make it a great movie. explosions and CGs is not everything.

same thing in the music business ,
would we still ike axl rose if he was JUST running around ?
yes his stage presence and rants add a lot to the "entertainement" but there other things (songs, talent, voice ...) that makes him a great frontman.

so robbie williams can be a great entertainer, but thats all he is. and even his fans say so i guess ...

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 12:25:16 PM »

Live 8 was the first time I ever really saw him do a live performance... He did know what he was doing up there.
Lord Blackadder
Rocker

BlAdder

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 12:36:54 PM »

What was that supposed to be? His We Will Rock You was backward. 'Jonny your a young man old man singing in the street' ot whatever. And he hardly got everyone shouting We Will Rock You like Freddie Mercury. He tried to mix Bono and Queen from Live Aid by getting the crowd to sing and by serenading the girl in the audience. He just looked abit silly really.

Robbie has a good voice and is quite entertaining. But he should just stick to his own songs and not try to be Bono or Freddie Mercury, especially at the time.

I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 03:39:54 PM »

I think he's great.  And I thought his performance was great.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005, 03:50:42 PM »

i agree, he was pretty damn good

as much as i admired many of the other singers and bands, none of them gave the crowd much to sing about...it was more like...lets stand about and listen to the songs  hihi...you can give me an entertainer over a singer almost every time...

did anyone see the concert yesterday at Murrayfield?...lots of great moments in it including bono dancing with andrea corr during a duet...and chris evans singing we will rock you with the crowd...fantastic crowd!!!

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 06:05:16 PM »

Im not a fan of Robbie Williams music - but ill give it too him, he was a great entertainer at Live8.

Riot In Everyone!
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 06:09:02 PM »

He's a good entertainer, thats about it.

I thought the who were far better and actually played some good songs they had written themselves

That's a hatrick for Doull
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2005, 05:53:01 AM »

im not a fan of his music, but i never miss getting a chance to watch him live. He rocks live.

html sucks
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2005, 10:54:28 AM »

The difference between Britney and Robbie is that Robbie has a good voice and talent. Britney's career was based on old men's sexual hunger.

Elvis was an entertainer too... Should we discuss about him too?

Robbie's career is based on old women's sexual hunger as well and made Jessica to cry.. I see Robbie more as a new Simple Red? drool Simple Red makes girls cry too..

Elvis was an great enterteiner as well but I really really think that he had a bit better voice and charisma than Robbie has..? Huh
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: