Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:08:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  The GN'R song thread
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The GN'R song thread  (Read 62854 times)
purplehaze1988
Rocker

nur ihr konnt holland stoppen

« on: July 21, 2005, 10:52:53 AM »

The purpose of this thread is to list every GN'R song, and to give people an idea of whether the song is within their playing capabilities, and also provide tips for playing/getting the tone etc.

This will be a guitar thread, but if you want to create a bass or drum or whatever thread, go ahead.

Hopefully this will become a sticky thread.

Now I haven't been playing guitar long, so I'm going to be pretty useless with this thread. Still, I'll set it out and hopefully someone will take it from there:

The criteria

Beginner - Something someone could learn as their first song
Amateur - For someone who knows the basics of guitar playing (barre chords, hammer-ons & pull-offs, bends...)
Intermediate - For someone who has been playing guitar a couple of years and
Advanced - Hard songs that you'll need plenty of guitar experience for before tackling

Beginner songs

Move To The City
Album: Lies
Link to tab: see below
Playing tips:

Amp settings:
You should play it on an overdriven guitar but it sounds nice on an acoustic aswell. I'm only tabbing Slash's guitar, Izzy has some of his own riffs and interesting bits in the song I might tab them in the future

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vibrato = ~~? ?Slide = /? ?Bend = b

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riff 1

--12-12---------------------? ? ? --12-12---------------------? ? ? --12-12----------------------------? ?
--12-12---------------------? ? ? --12-12---------------------? ? ? --12-12----------------------------? ?
----------14-12-14-12-14? ? ? ? ? ?----------14-12-14-12-14? ? ? ----------14-12-14-12-14-12~~?
----------14-12-14-12-14? ? ? ? ? ?----------14-12-14-12-14? ? ? ----------14-12-14-12-14-12~~?
-------------------------------? ? ? -------------------------------? ? ?--------------------------------------?
-------------------------------? ? ? -------------------------------? ? ?--------------------------------------?

Riff 2

-------------------------? ? ? ?-----------------------------------? ? ? ?-----------------------------------
--15-15-15-15-15-15-15/? ? ? -------9-9---9-9--10-9-9-9? ? ? -----------------------------------
--16-16-16-16-16-16-16/? ? ? ? ? --x-9-9-x-9-9-x-9-9-9-9? ? ? ?--7-7-7-6-6-6-4-4-4-7-7-8-9
-------------------------? ? ? ? ? --x-9-9-x-9-9-x-9-9-9-9? ? ? --7-7-7-6-6-6-4-4-4-7-7-8-9?
-------------------------? ? ? ?----x-7-7-x-7-9-x-7-7-7-7? ? ? --5-5-5-4-4-4-2-2-2-5-5-6-7?
-------------------------? --3b-0----------------------------? ? ? -----------------------------------

Riff 3

----------------------------? ? ? ?--------------------------------------? ?
----------------------------? ? ? ?---------0-3-2-0-------------------
--9-7-9-7-9-2b-0-------? ? ? ? ? ?--9-9-9----------2-0---------------
--9-7-9-7-9-------2------? ? ? ? ? -9-9-9---------------0-2-0--------
--7-5-7-7-9--------------? ? ? ----7-7-7----------------------0------
-----------------------3b-0? ? ?-----------------------------------3b-0

Solo

-----------------2------2-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------2--2-5b--5-2---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--4b------4b-----------------4b-4b-4-4b-2-4b-2~~-2-4-2--------------------------------------------
-----------------------------4b---------------------------------2-4-2--4--2-----2-----4--------4~~-4/
----------------------------------------------------------------------4--3--3-4---3-2---2---------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------5-2---------

-----------------------------------------14---------14---------------------
-------------------------------------14----14--17b---17--14----------17b
-------------------16---14-16b------------------------------16b-14----
------14-16-14-16---16-------------------------------------------------
--16---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks *Izzy*

Patience
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

Used to Love Her
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

Don't cry
Album: Use Your Illusion I
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

Yesterdays
Album: Use Your Illusion II
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Solo is B Minor pentatonic .

Amp settings:
try playin it with a strat, it`ll sound much better.

Thanks Slashly

Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Link to tab:
Playing tips:

Thanks GypsySoul

Amp settings:

GUITARS 1-3:? Solidbody
PICKUP/POSITION:? Humbucker/Neck
GAIN:? 2 (clean), 8 (crunch)
EQ:? Bass/Mid/Treble: 6/4/6
FX:? Chorus

Amateur Songs

Welcome to the Jungle
Album: Appetite for Destruction
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

My Michelle
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

Double Talkin' Jive
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

Intermediate Songs

Estranged
Link: http://www.guitaretab.com/g/guns-n-roses/7587.html
Playing tips: The second solo's not as hard as it looks... Try it out.?
Sound settings: I think he's using the neck pickup with the tone knob rolled backwards down to 6 (for the solos). Thanks Boozer

Advanced Songs

Sweet Child O' Mine
Link to tab: http://www.snakepit.org/sweetcom.html
Playing tips:

"Sweet Child O' Mine"
Tune down 1/2 step:
(low to high) Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb
Moderate Rock d = 126? ? ?

? ? ?This is one of my favorite GN'R tunes because it's a song you can either strum along to on an acoustic or play on electric while showing off your lead playing ability.? The introductory guitar melody is not very difficult (I learned this part very early on while beginning to play guitar), however it is important to make sure that the notes don't ring together, but also don't sound too choppy.? Practice is the only way of achieving this.? Also, as this melody started out as a string-skipping exercise, it's important to make sure that you are able to accurately and quickly pick targeted strings even if they aren't adjacent to each other.? During the verse sections, Slash and Izzy lay down a ballad-type rhythm by arpeggiating the chords making up a D - Cadd9 - G - D progression.? Unlike the intro, you should try to let the arpeggiated figures ring throughout whenever possible.
? ? ? The chorus contains both a melody very similar to that of the intro and an A5 - C5 - D rhythm progression that should be played with a fairly choppy strumming pattern and a distorted sound.? This rhythm chord pattern transforms into an E5 - G5 - A5 - C5 - D5 - G5 progression partway through the solo.? The solo is probably one the hardest to tackle in the GN'R catalog in that there's a lot going on and some of these less distinct parts may be difficult to pick apart by listening to the track the first few times around.? When attempting the solo it is important to make sure that have mastered such techniques of whole and half-note bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, and vibrato.? Really the rest of it is memorization and speed.? And remember that? with enough scrutiny and practice you can nail this entire song, start to finish, in no time.

Amp Settings: Not much to this - just pick a clean sound and dirty sound that seem close enough to the recording in your opinion.? Also, remember the use of the wah pedal during the latter part of the solo.

Thanks VolcomStone

Thanks GypsySoul

One in a Million
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:

Don't Damn Me
Link to tab:
Playing tips:
Amp settings:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 07:31:37 AM by purplehaze1988 » Logged

I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.
purplehaze1988
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 03:00:02 PM »

Come on people!

Right we'll set ourselves a little goal - this thread has to be completed by the time Chinese Democracy comes out   nervous

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 10:18:12 PM »

The purpose of this thread is to list every GN'R song, and to give people an idea of whether the song is within their playing capabilities, and also provide tips for playing/getting the tone etc.

I think you got a really good idea here.? This kind of thread should really be a great help for beginners and also give the more experienced musicians here an opportunity to pass along their knowledge by helping others get over the rough spots by answering questions and/or giving tips on specific songs or riffs or whatever.

I, myself, am NOT a musician nor do I know how to read music ... BUT what I can contribute to get this thing going is to post stuff that I find in guitar mags and their writers comments/instructions.? So maybe from there youze'll have a starting point for discussing what youze find easy/difficult/confusing about a specific song.

In the August 2005 issue of Guitar One mag is GNR's version of KOHD which you listed under "Beginner songs" ... so in the next reply I'll post what? their guy says about how to play it and if youze want, later I'll post the music sheets.

Also, here's the riff for SCOM in the same issue and a pics of Slash in an ad and in the old GNR daze.

"Sweet Child O' Mine"
Tune down 1/2 step:
(low to high) Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb
Moderate Rock d = 126? ? ?Gypsy note:? that d is a music note (I think)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 11:55:11 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 10:22:05 PM »

TONE ZONE
GUITARS 1-3:? Solidbody
PICKUP/POSITION:? Humbucker/Neck
GAIN:? 2 (clean), 8 (crunch)
EQ:? Bass/Mid/Treble: 6/4/6
FX:? Chorus

Gypsy edit so hopefully youze could read it clearer
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 11:45:36 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
VolcomStone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 12:23:16 AM »

Intermediate/Advanced:

Sweet Child O' Mine
Link to tab: http://www.snakepit.org/sweetcom.html
Playing tips:
     This is one of my favorite GN'R tunes because it's a song you can either strum along to on an acoustic or play on electric while showing off your lead playing ability.  The introductory guitar melody is not very difficult (I learned this part very early on while beginning to play guitar), however it is important to make sure that the notes don't ring together, but also don't sound too choppy.  Practice is the only way of achieving this.  Also, as this melody started out as a string-skipping exercise, it's important to make sure that you are able to accurately and quickly pick targeted strings even if they aren't adjacent to each other.  During the verse sections, Slash and Izzy lay down a ballad-type rhythm by arpeggiating the chords making up a D - Cadd9 - G - D progression.  Unlike the intro, you should try to let the arpeggiated figures ring throughout whenever possible.
      The chorus contains both a melody very similar to that of the intro and an A5 - C5 - D rhythm progression that should be played with a fairly choppy strumming pattern and a distorted sound.  This rhythm chord pattern transforms into an E5 - G5 - A5 - C5 - D5 - G5 progression partway through the solo.  The solo is probably one the hardest to tackle in the GN'R catalog in that there's a lot going on and some of these less distinct parts may be difficult to pick apart by listening to the track the first few times around.  When attempting the solo it is important to make sure that have mastered such techniques of whole and half-note bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, and vibrato.  Really the rest of it is memorization and speed.  And remember that  with enough scrutiny and practice you can nail this entire song, start to finish, in no time.
Amp Settings: Not much to this - just pick a clean sound and dirty sound that seem close enough to the recording in your opinion.  Also, remember the use of the wah pedal during the latter part of the solo.

If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 10:16:57 AM »

Beginer Song

Move To The City

You should play it on an overdriven guitar but it sounds nice on an acoustic aswell. I'm only tabbing Slash's guitar, Izzy has some of his own riffs and interesting bits in the song I might tab them in the future

Vibrato = ~~? ?Slide = /? ?Bend = b

Riff 1

----------14-12-14-12-14? ? ? ?? ? ----------14-12-14-12-14? ? ? ----------14-12-14-12-14-12~~?
----------14-12-14-12-14? ? ? ?? ? ----------14-12-14-12-14? ? ? ----------14-12-14-12-14-12~~?
-------------------------------? ? ? -------------------------------? ? ?-------------------------------------- ?

Riff 2

-------------------------? ? ? ?-----------------------------------? ? ? ?-----------------------------------
--15-15-15-15-15-15-15/? ? ? -------9-9---9-9--10-9-9-9? ? ? -----------------------------------
--16-16-16-16-16-16-16/? ? ?? ? ?--x-9-9-x-9-9-x-9-9-9-9? ? ? ?--7-7-7-6-6-6-4-4-4-7-7-8-9
------------------------- ? ? ?? ? --x-9-9-x-9-9-x-9-9-9-9? ? ? --7-7-7-6-6-6-4-4-4-7-7-8-9?
-------------------------? ? ? ?----x-7-7-x-7-9-x-7-7-7-7? ? ? --5-5-5-4-4-4-2-2-2-5-5-6-7?
-------------------------? --3b-0----------------------------? ? ? -----------------------------------

Riff 3

----------------------------? ? ? ?--------------------------------------? ?
----------------------------? ? ? ?---------0-3-2-0-------------------
--9-7-9-7-9-2b-0-------? ? ? ?? ? --9-9-9----------2-0---------------
--9-7-9-7-9-------2------? ? ?? ? ?-9-9-9---------------0-2-0--------
--7-5-7-7-9--------------? ? ? ----7-7-7----------------------0------
-----------------------3b-0? ? ?-----------------------------------3b-0

Solo

-----------------2------2-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------2--2-5b--5-2---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--4b------4b-----------------4b-4b-4-4b-2-4b-2~~-2-4-2--------------------------------------------
-----------------------------4b---------------------------------2-4-2--4--2-----2-----4--------4~~-4/
----------------------------------------------------------------------4--3--3-4---3-2---2---------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------5-2---------

-----------------------------------------14---------14---------------------
-------------------------------------14----14--17b---17--14----------17b
-------------------16---14-16b------------------------------16b-14----
------14-16-14-16---16-------------------------------------------------
--16---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

smoking Izzy? smoking
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 10:38:48 AM by *Izzy* » Logged

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 11:56:32 AM »

Intermediate:

Estranged
Link:http://www.guitaretab.com/g/guns-n-roses/7587.html
Playing tips: The second solo's not as hard as it looks... Try it out.  ok
Amp settings:? (I play acoustic  Wink)

Fuck 'Em All.
purplehaze1988
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 09:27:14 AM »

OK brilliant responses so far.

More songs please (or more on the songs we already have)

purplehaze1988
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 03:32:59 PM »

Come on this is a STICKY THREAD. Don't ruin it for me now...

It's mainly just playing tips and sound settings you need t submit, i can find tabs myself.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeaasssssse

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 08:17:29 PM »

Intermediate:

The Blues
Album: Chinese Democracy
Link:http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=21313.0 (with mp3)
Playing tips: This is the first solo. It's not that hard, but you must pay attention to the tempo, it's not like a regular solo. Notice how Fortus fills up the ending of the solo. Your rhythm guitar player can't be late here. Also, Fortus goes with some power-chords ala radiohead (you know, with octaves, only the A and G strings) along with Pittman's orchestra-sound on the keyboards.
Gear settings: Gibson Guitars; Effects:RockTron Vodoo Valve and TC Electronic effects G-Force, Marshall head and cabinet. His sound can be emulated with a tube-screamer with a lot of drive. A good wha-wha (Cry Baby is enough) also can be used. But all you really need is to play with his feeling and soul. ok

Here's the tab for Robin's solo... I know it needs some fix here and there, but I think it's pretty much like that. There's also some tips with the pickups and wha-wha (Copy the tab to the notepad and it will be in the right way):

The Blues solo (by Voodoochild):

Starts with the neck humbucker:

E:--10/12\10--10--10/8--8h7p8-8h7p8-7----------------------------------------------------------|
B:-------------------------------------10-8-10-10b-10b-10b--10br10--8--8h10p8p6----------------|
G:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

E:----------------------------------------------10-12--12b--12br12--10-------------------------|
B:--3\6--5/6\8--8/10--6h8p6---8\10--10/12----12------------------------------------------------|
G:--------------------------7-------------12---------------------------------------------------|
D:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

E:--8\10--8p7h8--7-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B:-----------------8---(Cool\10/12--10br(10)\8--10-----------------------------------------------|
G:-------------------7----------------------------9--------------------------------------------|

With wha-wha:

E:-11~-10h11p10----------13~-11h13p11p10h11p10----------13\15~-13-15-17-18-17-17-15----18-22-24br24br24-|
B:-------------13-11-------------------------13p11----------------------------------18------------------|
G:-------------------12----------------------------12---------------------------------------------------|
D:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Switch to the bridge humbucker

E:-20-18-20\22-22br(22)-18-18-22-18-17-15-17-17br(17)--10br(10)--8-6---6-6h8-8~----8----8~-8~--|
B:-------------------------------------------------------------------7---------7b--7b---7--7---|
G:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

E:--13-12-10-----------------------------7---19------------------------------------------------|
B:-----------13-12-10----10h12---13p12----8-----20---------------------------------------------|
G:--------------------12-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

Right after Finck, Fortus fills:

B:-----------------------------------------------------7h8-------------------------------------|
G:-----------------------------------------------------7---------------------------------------|

b = bend
br = bend release
\ = slide
h = hammer-on
p = pull-off
~ = vibrato

purplehaze1988
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 07:32:17 AM »

well it wont let me exceed 10000 characters, so i think if this is going to go anywhere someone else will have to do it Sad

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »

well it wont let me exceed 10000 characters, so i think if this is going to go anywhere someone else will have to do it Sad
Nobody can exceed 10,000 characters in a post.? Why were you copying everyone's replies into the first post anyways?? confused? ?Wouldn't it make more sense for you to get the discussion going by commenting on tips people aleady posted or asking questions about what help you might need, or about things you find difficult or easy?

purplehaze1988
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 10:22:02 AM »

no it was supposed to be structured, rather than searching through pages and pages of trying to find a partcular song. ah well.

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 10:28:02 AM »

Structured?? oy vey!

So then why don't you just put in the first post that beginners/intermediate/advanced listing WITH JUST THE SONG TITLE and the reply number the song is listed in?

purplehaze1988
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 11:17:10 AM »

yeah good idea

but im not gonna have the net for the next two weeks now

purplehaze1988
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 02:46:30 PM »

well i just got back off holiday and i have to admit - youre all lazy bastards.

i cant be arsed with this anymore if no ones gonna submit anything. if youre a mod and reading this, delete it (or can i delete it myself).

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 08:13:47 AM »

i cant be arsed with this anymore if no ones gonna submit anything. if youre a mod and reading this, delete it (or can i delete it myself).
Oh man, stop with this lame bitching. I submitted the blues tab - wich I did myself - and you don't even cared.

IMO, this thread should stay here for begginers who wants to search for GNR tabs. Maybe I'll do the tabs for the rest of The Blues and even some Rhyiad riffs...

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 10:45:25 AM »

The thing is...

I think that if you're a beginner, you shouldn't be playing GN'R songs. You should be learning your chords, and changing effectively between them. Okay. Maybe a simplified version of KOHTD or Used to Love Her would go.

Then when you're an amateur, and you know your basic chords and can change between them well, one should try to implement alternative picking to these songs and try to start improving on the timing.

Now after you've done that, you pretty much start realizing what you can, and can't do with the guitar at the stage of progress you're at (or at least some people do.. Some don't and end up uploading stuff in which they try to play fast as hell, but sound.. well.. not that good).

After this stage, let's say the intermediate or so. You'll prolly be able to somewhat crawl through every GN'R song, but to truly play any song well you have to be a true master of the guitar to play them well. To truly nail the bends, to really master the vibratos and most of all.. to truly make the songs your own so it's not just a 100% accurate copy of the original..

I for example. Am years away from that. I can only blame myself - I started playing too late and I have to live with it. The point of all this? I don't know if people really need the tabs and such to the harder songs. They can be found elsewhere. Or at least advanced guitarists don't need to be told that it's one of the more harder songs... They know. But I do think it's a good idea to let beginners, and amateurs know what songs they shoud start off with.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
purplehaze1988
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 02:02:59 PM »

Oh man, stop with this lame bitching. I submitted the blues tab - wich I did myself - and you don't even cared.

IMO, this thread should stay here for begginers who wants to search for GNR tabs. Maybe I'll do the tabs for the rest of The Blues and even some Rhyiad riffs...

well then, if you're wiling to help then ill start this up again (probably better to make a new thread), you can submit tabs, we can use stuff thats already here, and i can sort out the layout and stuff and try to get hld of some sheet music

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 02:07:59 PM »

well then, if you're wiling to help then ill start this up again (probably better to make a new thread), you can submit tabs, we can use stuff thats already here, and i can sort out the layout and stuff and try to get hld of some sheet music

It's too much work to post each GN'R song (I'm too lazy  Roll Eyes) . If somebody requests a particular song, then we can do something...

Fuck 'Em All.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: