Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 03:19:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR vs VR (Player By Player)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR vs VR (Player By Player)  (Read 56472 times)
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2005, 11:15:24 PM »

Axl vs Scott: Overall, I prefer Axl. As much as I respect Weiland, he couldn't compare to Axl when he was in his prime. However, Scott is now the better vocalist and performer.

Slash vs Finck: This one is a no brainer to me. Slash easily wins this one. Finck doesn't have half of the talent and "coolness" that Slash has. The guy also has a horrible stage presence.

Fortus vs Kushner: This one is a tough choice. I will call it a draw. I like both of them although now that I'm thinking, I like Fortus slightly better.

Duff vs Tommy: Duff wins this one for me. Tommy does nothing for me.

Matt vs Brain: Matt. Brain has never really stood out to me but maybe I just need to listen to him more.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2005, 11:32:30 PM »

I'll throw in my 2cents here as lame an idea as it is. For the record, the original Guns are untouchable and there is no comparison whatsoever until Finck, Fortus etc.. have a string of timeless classics that have infiltrated popular culture under their belts 10 years down the track

Axl vs Scott
In the day, no question, Axl hands down. Im hoping Axl can bring more to the table than he did in 2002 however, cos based on that, Scott has him pinned at the moment

Slash Vs Finck
An absolute no brainer. Slash, of all the original Guns, has maintained his seat at the table of legends and judging by the way he has been received in VR, he will be a lifelong member. Put simply, Slash is a genuine rock n roll ?icon for the ages, Axl was one, it's a question with CD of whether he can retain some of that.

Fortus vs Kushner
Im going with Fortus only because I prefer his vibe to Kushners. I felt Kushner took up too much space on Contraband and he stifles Slash a little I reckon. Fortus' schtick (ie. Izzy clone, kind of looks a bit poseurish) annoys me a little. A tough call.

Duff vs Stinson
I like Stinson, he seems like a smart player. But Duff takes this one out. Why? he was an original member of GN'R for chrissakes? He helped write some of the most memorable rock music the worlds ever known. Can someone really call themselves a Guns N' Roses fan and slag off the likes of Slash, Duff and Izzy? mmmm it's very strange to me. But I do like Stinson and like what Ive heard of his playing in GN'R.

Matt vs Brain

Going with Brain cos he played with Primus. Matts style Ive never really liked, a bit wooden and leaden, not enough groove for my liking. And he seems a bit of twat to boot

Here is the hypocrisy of a lot of people in this thread.? The people that are talking Scott over Axl are saying well Axl back in the day would beat Scott but now since I heard Axls 2002 voice Scott is the winner.? ?YET with slash and duff its like this. Well I like the vibe of Tommy and BH is really good but slash and duff win because they helped write AFD And some of the best gnr songs ever. So why is it that for slash and duff you are dealing with what they did the in past, yet for Axl you are basing it on his now voice, that logic makes no sense what so ever.?

We are talking about how these players are NOW not back in the day, but some of you keep switching because you know that Slash and Duff have done nothing good since leaving gnr and they are not better than BH or Tommy. And you can claim well Axl has not put out anything, well we have heard Oh my god, IRS, Madagascar, the blues, cd etc etc and those songs alone are better than anything that slash and duff have done sololy or in VR.

nah, those were points I made as asides Dave - look at Brain, I chose him right? Even though Matt played on Illusions which certainly contains some classics.
Your argument is flawed at any rate. heard of Contraband? it's done pretty well (double platinum, won a grammy, successful tours and singles) Duff and Slash play on those, and that was the Duff and Slash that currently have it over Tommy and Finck? - geddit?

Also Dave, read my posts properly:
"Slash, of all the original Guns, has maintained his seat at the table of legends and judging by the way he has been received in VR he will be a lifelong member"
not to mention:
"I like Stinson, he seems like a smart player. .... I do like Stinson and like what Ive heard of his playing in GN'R."

Coupled with this, I chose Brain and Fortus.
I'm being one-sided and hypocritical how?? Huh Huh Huh

How are you being one sided? Easily. Kushner was never in gnr, so you can throw that out the window. As for picking Brain over Matt. Most gnr fans perfer steven to matt, and I can bet if steven was in VR you would pick steven over brain, even tho brain is better than steven.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2005, 11:36:13 PM »

Most gnr fans perfer steven to matt, and I can bet if steven was in VR you would pick steven over brain, even tho brain is better than steven.

tell me, which drummer would you want Dave?
I take it you are a GN'R fan arent you?  Wink

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2005, 11:41:11 PM »

Most gnr fans perfer steven to matt, and I can bet if steven was in VR you would pick steven over brain, even tho brain is better than steven.

I take it you are a GN'R fan arent you?? Wink

Josh Freese.

And you really need to learn to read. Like I have said before, and read this carefully. Just because I think another player is BETTER than a member of gnr, doesnt mean I dont like the old band. How many times to I have to say this. ARE you that slow?

If I think Hendrix is better than slash, I guess that must mean I dont like slash or gnr. By your logic it goes.
If I think that John Bonham is better than steven or matt, does that mean that I hate the old gnr? By your logic? it does.
If I think Claypool is better at bass than duff, does that mean that I hate old gnr, by your logic it does.

See how dumb your logic and the people that think like? you is?

Godforbid someone thinks another player is  better than an original gnr member.
In that Cornel thread, the people that were saying that Chris can sing better than Axl, you didnt hear me say, Oh i guess you hate old gnr. Or for the people that think scott can sing better than Axl, you didnt hear me say oh you must hate the old band. No of coarse not because I am not deliusional like some of  you that think just becasue I think BH is better than slash or tommy is better than duff then I must hate the old gnr.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 11:43:21 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2005, 11:51:38 PM »

Josh Freese.

And you really need to learn to read. Like I have said before, and read this carefully. Just because I think another player is BETTER than a member of gnr, doesnt mean I dont like the old band. How many times to I have to say this. ARE you that slow?

If I think Hendrix is better than slash, I guess that must mean I dont like slash or gnr. By your logic it goes.
If I think that John Bonham is better than steven or matt, does that mean that I hate the old gnr? By your logic? it does.
If I think Claypool is better at bass than duff, does that mean that I hate old gnr, by your logic it does.

Godforbid someone thinks another player is? better than an original gnr member.
In that Cornel thread, the people that were saying that Chris can sing better than Axl, you didnt hear me say, Oh i guess you hate old gnr. Or for the people that think scott can sing better than Axl, you didnt hear me say oh you must hate the old band. No of coarse not because I am not deliusional like some of? you that think just becasue I think BH is better than slash or tommy is better than duff then I must hate the old gnr.

now, now Dave - no need to get nasty, take a joke already buddy and lighten up - you make yourself too easy a target with your flawed, inconsistent ramblings, but when you lack the ability to be lighthearted occasionally, you really lose points

Firstly Dave, I never stated that just because someone likes the old band they can't like the new.
I like Buckethead - I like Slash as well - case in point.

The topic was to compare "present day VR members with present day GNR members"

I like present day Duff (thats right, Duff in VR) over Tommy. Doesnt mean I dont like Tommy.

I stated Duff and Slashs (and Axls , funny you didnt mention that) rich legacy as an aside to the thrust of the point.

You need to learn to read, and furthermore reason like a discerning adult Dave.

Anyways,  beer

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2005, 12:08:11 AM »

Josh Freese.

Godforbid someone thinks another player is? better than an original gnr member.
In that Cornel thread, the people that were saying that Chris can sing better than Axl, you didnt hear me say, Oh i guess you hate old gnr. Or for the people that think scott can sing better than Axl, you didnt hear me say oh you must hate the old band. No of coarse not because I am not deliusional like some of? you that think just becasue I think BH is better than slash or tommy is better than duff then I must hate the old gnr.

now, now Dave - no need to get nasty, take a joke already buddy and lighten up - you make yourself too easy a target with your flawed, inconsistent ramblings, but when you lack the ability to be lighthearted occasionally, you really lose points

Firstly Dave, I never stated that just because someone likes the old band they can't like the new.
I like Buckethead - I like Slash as well - case in point.

The topic was to compare "present day VR members with present day GNR members"

I like present day Duff (thats right, Duff in VR) over Tommy. Doesnt mean I dont like Tommy.

I stated Duff and Slashs (and Axls , funny you didnt mention that) rich legacy as an aside to the thrust of the point.

You need to learn to read, and furthermore reason like a discerning adult Dave.

Anyways,? beer

I get tired of repeating myself for ignorant people. Because you claim you are kidding when in fact a lot of people that use that logic are not.

jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2005, 12:17:40 AM »

U call me ignorant Dave? - you are proving yourself again to be a rude poster with little respect for other peoples opinions, it is sad that you can't refrain from name calling and just have a reasoned debate
very sad
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 12:58:36 AM by jimmythegent » Logged

Slash Rose
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2005, 01:37:23 AM »

axl vs.

who the hell am i kidding I WANT THE OLD GNR BACK!!!!!! come on  crying i want old rosessssss  crying crying crying crying

:smoking:Slash Rose smoking

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2005, 06:28:59 AM »

the only current member of GNR i give any credit to is axl.

VR totally blows new GNR out.

all IMO of course.

html sucks
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2005, 07:41:01 AM »

Old GNR will get back together.  Do you not think Axl realizes the same sheot we are saying?  It would be like after Led Zepplin IV, Plant went off on his own with out Page, Jones, and Bonham yet still called himself Led Zepplin.  Know three guys could match them, just like no three guys can top the old GNR guys. 
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2005, 07:57:55 AM »

all IMO of course.

well i think your listening but you cant hear dude........r' you serious

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2005, 08:51:39 AM »

all IMO of course.

well i think your listening but you cant hear dude........r' you serious

I shall repeat to you. Velvet Revolver totally blow GnewR away!!! Im very serious and yes i can hear what im playing.
You may have also noticed i put IMO.

html sucks
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2005, 11:02:37 AM »

U call me ignorant Dave? - you are proving yourself again to be a rude poster with little respect for other peoples opinions, it is sad that you can't refrain from name calling and just have a reasoned debate
very sad

People like you crack me up. You claim I don?t respect others opinions, that is funny since I gave my opinion then a few people jumped all over me for it. And name calling, that is funny since your boy providman started that. But of coarse you have to  point your finger at me since my opinion differs from yours. And the fact is, whenever someone on this board claims a member from the new gnr is better than the old gnr you guys go ballistic and throw a hissy fit.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 11:04:53 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2005, 01:37:45 PM »

Axl v. Scott:

As much as I hate to do this, I'll have to go with Scott. Granted Axl was on top of the world in GnR's hay day but what has he really done since 1994?? He released one poorly recieved single (poorly by everyone who doesn't frequent this board) and botched a "comeback" tour. Scott has released several hit albums in STP and since helped the success of VR. If we were going strictly by talent or possible talent if you left your mansion, then Axl would take it running away, but for now........ Scott

Slash v. Robin:

Slash. no explination needed. Better player, better vibe, more talented.

Slash v. Bucket:

Just to stoke the flame......... This was tougher than the slash robin battle, but still goes to Slash. I will jump on board with everyone that says Bucket is a better guitar player than Slash.... He is. But that doesn't make this battle for me. Sure Bucket is more technical than him, but to me there is no soul in shredding. I have all of Buckets albums (i do support everyone that has been in the band, I would prefer the original but if I have to put up with Rip Taylor on bongo's just to get some studio material from Axl I would) and they dont do anything for me. They are nothing more than a hidge podge of guitar solo's with and overload of synth in the background. There is no substance to his solo work. Granted he can play the fuck out of a guitar but so can 70% of the Students at the Berkley School of Music, and most of them will play to their largest crowd in the Park Street T Stop in Boston. You can rip Slash's Snake pit all you want, but the guitar work isn''t that bad..... It's the fact that the guitars for "Be The Ball" were put to a song about pinball machines. If those riff's were given to Axl, or even Scott, that album would have been 100% better. Also a guitar souldnt have more knobs buttons and switches than 1950's Mainframe. If you cant solo without 50 effects and cutoff switches than don't solo. I think that last point is why I love slash so much Les Paul + Marshall Stack + Very Minimal Effects = Greatest Rock Sound Ever *see also Jimmy Page*

Fortus v. Kushner: Izzy this si a tossup, but I'm going with Fortus, from what I've seen of each there isn't a gap in talent. But Richard just has the "Guns" look and sound...... Kushner uses to many effects for my liking.

Duff v. Tommy: This to me is the most even....Style, sound, Background. I could get on board with someone picking either of them. but if you bring it down to Replacements/solo versus GnR/Solo/VR   Duff Wins........ But I'm going draw (after all GnR has 2 keyboards and had three guitars, why not 2 basses?)

Brain v. Matt:

Brain has the more diverse body of work, and seems to be more technically skilled. But I disagree with most people criticism of him that he too heavy handed, ever here of John Bonham?Huh that guy drummed with tree trunks... that stytle works for people... but I still say Brain.

Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2005, 01:44:29 PM »

Dave - if in the slight chance CD is better than AFD and sells shitloads of copies i  would be the first to admit it. Or i could just do what you do with VR and say - "So what if the album sells millions, they have sells out tours and win grammys its still rubbish". Lets face it - if CD acheives that kind of success youll be the first parading around how the millions of sales and sell out tours mean that Nu-Gn'R is great.

Riot In Everyone!
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2005, 01:50:13 PM »

very sad

cool it jimmy, you already won this debate a couple of pages back.
it's not your fault dave can't let go. peace

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2005, 01:54:46 PM »

I thought it would be fun to compare the musicianship of these two bands. The way this will work is that I will compare each position (Lead Singer, Lead Guitar...etc), in both VR and GNR and comment on who the best player is. Let me remind you that the following is just my opinion and it is in your power to disagree with me. Here we go:

Lead Singer - (Axl Rose vs Scott Weiland) - No contest here, Axl takes this battle hands down. Don't get me wrong. I think Scott is a great singer, but Axl is perhaps one of the greatest front men of all time.

Lead Guitar - (Robin Finck vs Slash) - Once again, these are two great musicians but I am afraid that Slash wins it. No one can combine melody with hard rock licks like Slash can.

Rhythm Guitar (Richard Fortus vs David Kushner) - this one's kind of a toss up. I would have to give it to Kushner since he played with Suicidal Tendencies.

Bass Guitar - (Tommy Stinson vs Duff McKagan) This one is suprisingly close. I love Tommy's bass line on The Bluse, but in the end I think McKagan wins it. The bass line in Rocket Queen puts him over the top.

Drums - (Brain vs Matt Sorum). This one is close too, but I?d have to give it to one of my all time favorite drummers, Matt Sorum. His work on the Illusion albums (Especially Coma) was really amazing. Maybe once CD comes out, Brain will impress me as well.

Keyboards - Since VR doesn't have a keys player, this one goes to Dizzy Reed by default.

And the totals are: GNR 2 - VR 4.

These are just my thoughts; I'd like to hear some of yours.

Ben

I agree, except for Tommy Vs Duff, Tommy is not only a great player, he's a great songwriter. So I take Tommy over Duff.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2005, 02:45:49 PM »

I thought it would be fun to compare the musicianship of these two bands. The way this will work is that I will compare each position (Lead Singer, Lead Guitar...etc), in both VR and GNR and comment on who the best player is. Let me remind you that the following is just my opinion and it is in your power to disagree with me. Here we go:

Lead Singer - (Axl Rose vs Scott Weiland) - No contest here, Axl takes this battle hands down. Don't get me wrong. I think Scott is a great singer, but Axl is perhaps one of the greatest front men of all time.

Lead Guitar - (Robin Finck vs Slash) - Once again, these are two great musicians but I am afraid that Slash wins it. No one can combine melody with hard rock licks like Slash can.

Rhythm Guitar (Richard Fortus vs David Kushner) - this one's kind of a toss up. I would have to give it to Kushner since he played with Suicidal Tendencies.

Bass Guitar - (Tommy Stinson vs Duff McKagan) This one is suprisingly close. I love Tommy's bass line on The Bluse, but in the end I think McKagan wins it. The bass line in Rocket Queen puts him over the top.

Drums - (Brain vs Matt Sorum). This one is close too, but I?d have to give it to one of my all time favorite drummers, Matt Sorum. His work on the Illusion albums (Especially Coma) was really amazing. Maybe once CD comes out, Brain will impress me as well.

Keyboards - Since VR doesn't have a keys player, this one goes to Dizzy Reed by default.

And the totals are: GNR 2 - VR 4.

These are just my thoughts; I'd like to hear some of yours.

Ben

My vote

Axl, Slash, Fortus, Stinson, Brain, Dizzy
mustashius
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2005, 03:13:26 PM »

Mysteron,I couldn't agree more
That is a very serious band and capable doing almost anything
What a pity we won't see or hear them

I've seen a rich man beg
I"ve seen a good man sin
I've seen a tough man cry
I've seen a loser win
And a sad man grin
I heard an honest man lie
mustashius
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2005, 03:23:05 PM »

Except one,Finck over Fortus  - that's the band that I would like to hear playing and we got a winner for sure hihi

I've seen a rich man beg
I"ve seen a good man sin
I've seen a tough man cry
I've seen a loser win
And a sad man grin
I heard an honest man lie
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: