Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:57:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Iron Maiden Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 116197 times)
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2005, 01:26:01 AM »

Bruce Dickinson is one of the few musicians with integrity out there. Metal tends to have more of that than most genres. Smiley If they only play old songs, they're set to fade away, when the sheeple get tired of them. They have to make new music to keep people aware of them. I think people in poorer countries, like South and Central America, tend to enjoy music more anyway. Rock in Rio, anyone?

Of course, playing an old song in a new style can really be a cool experience.

They're only playing stuff off the first 4 albums during this tour cause they're promoting a DVD they just released called Early days, which focuses on the begining of their career.  The band has gone on record saying they might not play some of these old songs for a long time after this tour.  Plans are in the works for a new album to be released next year sometime.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2005, 08:46:45 PM »

Rather than me create a new thread ill just say on here instead.

What singer of maiden do  you preffer?

Since on 2 albums they had that other guy cant remember his name, hes got a cool band now though , i saw them supporting whitesnake.

html sucks
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2005, 11:38:10 PM »

Maiden has had three singers that have released albums with the band.  Paul Dianno sang on the first two Maiden albums.  He was an excellent frontman.  His voice isn't as good as Bruce Dickinson's, but still good.  Then Bruce Dickinson came along.  In my opinion he's one of the greatest frotnmen of all time.  He's got it all...voice, songwriting, stafe presence.  Bruce left the band in the early 90's.  He was replaced by Blaze Bailey, who was absolutely dreadful.  His voice wasn't anywhere near Bruce's...or Dianno's for that matter.  And the two albums he sang on were Maiden's two worst albums by far.  Thank God Bruce decided to come back about 5 years ago. 

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2005, 11:45:22 PM »

The X Factor isn't as bad as people say it is. It's bad, but there are many worse albums out there. No Prayer For The Dying is probably Iron Maiden's worst album, I'd say.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2005, 12:47:02 AM »

The X Factor isn't as bad as people say it is. It's bad, but there are many worse albums out there. No Prayer For The Dying is probably Iron Maiden's worst album, I'd say.

There may be worse albums than X-Factor, but none of them were made by Iron Maiden...except the possible exception of Virtual XL.  No Prayer For The Dying is very underrated.  Firstly, Bruce Dickinson sings on it, already making it better than X Factor or Virtual XL.  Secondly, the music is better...much heavier and old-school Maiden like.  Most Bailey era songs sound all too similar too me.  They all seem to start with that same slow boring intro guitar, then they build but I'm usually bored with the song by then, and Bailey's dreadful singing doesn't help.  The Bailey era was the lowpoint of Maiden's career, and is best ignored and forgotten.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2005, 01:17:05 AM »

If Maiden didn't get Blaze Bailey, we wouldn't get the hear the awesomeness of The Clansmanok Virtual XI is a worthless album except for this great song, which of course sounds better live with Bruce.

However, the X Factor is still very underrated. No Prayer For The Dying suffered because Adrian had left the band and Janick Gers wasn't very experienced at this point in his career. Fear of the Dark was a step up, but still very poor, and Bruce was clearly getting bored with the band. He wasn't his old self with many of the songs. His voice was deteriorating and raspy. He needed a break.

It was good that he left, since he had a great solo career and Iron Maiden explored a newer, darker sound with Blaze. The X Factor has many good songs, like Sign Of The Cross, Lord Of The Flies, and Look For The Truth. They're just different. It's definitely better than Ripper era Judas Priest.
dustNroses
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2005, 02:59:57 AM »

AWESOME NEWS!!!!! Gotta love the maiden boys!!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2005, 05:47:20 AM »

wow i didnt know that they didnt start with Bruce, i did see the difference in voice but i thought it was cause he was younger.

That was almost as shocking as when i found out Van Halen had also had Gary Cherone singing. lol.

On the Blaze Bailey thing, i have to say i think man on the edge is a really good song, probably because it was the first one i heard by them next to (dickinson) run to the hills and Wildest Dreams.

html sucks
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2005, 11:52:15 AM »

If Maiden didn't get Blaze Bailey, we wouldn't get the hear the awesomeness of The Clansmanok Virtual XI is a worthless album except for this great song, which of course sounds better live with Bruce.

However, the X Factor is still very underrated. No Prayer For The Dying suffered because Adrian had left the band and Janick Gers wasn't very experienced at this point in his career. Fear of the Dark was a step up, but still very poor, and Bruce was clearly getting bored with the band. He wasn't his old self with many of the songs. His voice was deteriorating and raspy. He needed a break.

It was good that he left, since he had a great solo career and Iron Maiden explored a newer, darker sound with Blaze. The X Factor has many good songs, like Sign Of The Cross, Lord Of The Flies, and Look For The Truth. They're just different. It's definitely better than Ripper era Judas Priest.

I agree with you I mean if Bruce hasn't gone maybe Maiden will be now a boring band, but now That Bruce has explore new sounds with his aside project I can say was for the best.
On the Baily era I think X factor is quite good, Sign Of the cross is an excellent song, Lord of the flies, the unbeliever are great songs.  peace

No man can be my equal
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2005, 03:56:04 PM »

I can't believe anybody likes Sign Of The Cross.  My opinion, that's the worst Maiden song I ever heard.  Lord Of The Flies is a close second.  I saw them play LOTF last year at show in New York.  It was the only lowpoint of the night.  Even with Bruce singing the song was so friggin' boring.  The energy was immediately sucked from the live crowd.  They play that dreadful song but completely ignored the Powerslace album that night.  Although I do agree about Bruce's solo stuff.  However, he just put out a solo album this year...without leaving the band.  Maiden had their pick of pretty much any singer they wanted, for the life of me I don't understand why they went with Blaze.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2005, 02:00:13 PM »

I can't believe anybody likes Sign Of The Cross.  My opinion, that's the worst Maiden song I ever heard.  Lord Of The Flies is a close second.  I saw them play LOTF last year at show in New York.  It was the only lowpoint of the night.  Even with Bruce singing the song was so friggin' boring.  The energy was immediately sucked from the live crowd.  They play that dreadful song but completely ignored the Powerslace album that night.  Although I do agree about Bruce's solo stuff.  However, he just put out a solo album this year...without leaving the band.  Maiden had their pick of pretty much any singer they wanted, for the life of me I don't understand why they went with Blaze.
Well yeah I don't understand that either it was a bad choice, I mean even Michael Kiske was auditionating for the lead singer that would've been cool  ok

No man can be my equal
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2005, 04:53:50 PM »

IRON MAIDEN founder Steve Harris recently talked in detail to www.classicrockrevisited.com writer Shelly Harris about why the band decided to play on the Ozzfest bill (despite otherwise being headliners worldwide since 1982) and other current events and musings about that tour and the band's real attitude toward American audiences and venues. An excerpt from Steve's in-depth interview follows:

Steve Harris: "The audiences, I think, are spread between quite a good cross-section of people; there's some to see us, there's some to see SABBATH, and I think there's some to see the younger bands on some of the other stages. But, overall, there's sometimes between 25 and 50 percent of people who haven't seen us before. That's also the reason why we're doing the Reading and Leeds festivals back home, because they're not the usual sort of metal-type festivals; you get lots of different types of bands there. So, again, that's a similar idea, that we can play to some new people, and maybe nick some new fans that normally wouldn't come and see us, you know.

"We know what these gigs are like, we've played these kinds of gigs before. But, the worst thing for us, really, the hardest thing for us, and also the thing that took the longest time for us to get our heads around, was obviously, it's under no control of ours, at Ozzfest or whatever festival it is, is that we don't have the say that we'd normally have as when we're headliners ourselves. And it's always been a bugbear with us, with playing in the States, anyway, the [seating arrangements of] the people down the front, because of the ticket arrangements. And I think if we come back in the future, and headline stuff, I think we're going to really have to try and change it, because, you know, it's really difficult playing to those people down in the front, because those are the ones we'd normally feed off of or whatever. But, the hardcore fans, or most of the ones that are really into it, are the ones that are sort of further or way back. And the ones down front, with the more expensive tickets, they are either there to see SABBATH, or they're there just because they've got the money to be there ? I don't really know why they're there, half of them! But a lot of them don't really show a great deal of interest in what we're doing, or even SABBATH, come to that.

"So, it's very bizarre, and it's a very awkward situation, because we feed off the front audience, and, obviously, you can only see so far back, anyway. Well, we feed off the overall audience, but really, more than any other band I can think of, we play to the front, and we feed off people singing to the words, and people getting into it or whatever, and they're kind of few and far between. So, you tend to pick out ones that are into it, are into it and play to them, or, if there aren't any, we sort of look over their heads just play to the ones who look like they really want to be there. I gotta be honest, it's not all of 'em, because there are some down front and your can see that they're into it, but, honestly, a lot of 'em look like they want to be able to just get a remote and change us ? that's what it looks like ? like they ought to break out the popcorn! And they sit there looking at us with ... bewilderment, I think, is probably the word ? I don't know!

"I know it's tough on a festival bill, because people have been there a long time, and it's hot, or whatever, and I can appreciate all that. But we've played to audiences like that around the world when we're doing the festivals, and we don't get that kind of thing. The difference is, the people down the front at the festivals in Europe and places like that, are there because they want to be there. They get there early, and they get there first, and it's a different situation; it's [general admission] and it's not seated. And that is the biggest problem over here, and I think what would really make all the difference in the world to us, and to the audience too, really, is if we can get the people down the front who deserve and want to be down there.

"When Bruce [Dickinson, vocals] gets angry, it's because of that, because of the ones down the front. Sometimes it kinda gets miscommunicated as if we don't like playing here. We love playing here, we like the country, we like the people here, but we don't like playing to the people down the front who're not really bothered about whether they're there or not! Sometimes, some nights, if he gets really pissed off, I think he [Bruce] goes a little over the top, if I'm honest. We all agree in principle, mainly, with what he's saying, but some nights he just gets so wound up, he goes off, I don't know if he even knows what he's saying, he just gets so angry with the situation. But I can totally relate to that, because we feel angry as well!"

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2005, 01:10:30 PM »

Bruce and Steve are so cool  ok

No man can be my equal
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2005, 05:03:48 PM »

IRON MAIDEN will be inducted into Guitar Center's Hollywood Rockwalk, located at 7425 Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood, CA, on Friday, August 19 at 7:30 p.m. This event is FREE and open to the public.

Hollywood's RockWalk is the only sidewalk gallery dedicated to honoring those artists who have made a significant impact and lasting contribution to the growth and evolution rock 'n' roll, blues and R&B. Their hand prints and signatures will reside alongside other equally accomplished musicians and innovators such as ERIC CLAPTON, JIMI HENDRIX, LOU REED, JOHNNY CASH, AEROSMITH, B.B. KING, VAN HALEN, JAMES BROWN, GEORGE MARTIN, STEVE MILLER, SONIC YOUTH, BRIAN WILSON, CARLOS SANTANA, CARL PERKINS, JOHN LEE HOOKER, THE RAMONES, BONNIE RAITT and HOLLAND-DOZIER-HOLLAND, among others.

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2005, 12:06:11 PM »

IRON MAIDEN fan site MaidenFans.com has posted a transcript of a recent Kerrang! magazine article entitled "The World According to Bruce Dickinson." It follows here in its entirety:

Bruce Dickinson: "We're as big as the ROLLING STONES in parts of the world but you'll never find us behaving like the ROLLING STONES. If being a Hollywood rock star is so important to you that everything normal in your life goes out the window then it's not worth it. Having a life is much more important than being a rock star."

"Retired heroin addicts love golf. Every one I know ? from THIN LIZZY's Scott Gorham to Dave Mustaine ? credits golf as being the thing that saved their lives. I'm from the Oscar Wilde fraternity that believes that golf is a good walk spoiled. I've had an implant to stop me taking it up, just as ex-smokers use nicotine patches."

"Having a private jet doesn't make you Superman. We're lucky to be able to travel around in a private jet now because we can afford it. If we could have afforded it 20 years ago we'd probably have bought one then. But I'm still catching the bus with my travel card and then catching the Tube to the airport to get to that private jet."

"If you take no interest in the tabloids, they'll take no interest in you. Once you've done your litte deal with the Devil, they reserve the right to rip you apart. I lead far too dull and incomprehensible a life for them to pay attention to what I do."

"MAIDEN are always gonna sound like MAIDEN. You could give us any song in the world and ask us to do a cover version and it'd sound like IRON MAIDEN. Put the six of us together and the sound we make is unique."

"There's far too much 'Big Brother' snooping in this country. I wouldn't complain if we lost a few speed cameras for a start."

"Because of what I do people tell my kids, 'Oh, your dad's a drug addict'. At school some kids will look at them like they have two heads. But my kids have handled themselves extraordinarily well. I imagine it'd be worse for them if I'd bitten the head off a bat."

"Do I have a routine on show days? Yeah, I turn up to the gig, get changed and do it. Then get a few 'sherberts' in. It's pretty straightforward, isn't it?"

"You'll never see an outside songwriter writing for IRON MAIDEN. It just wouldn't happen. I suppose we could give Robbie Williams' ex-songwriter Guy Chambers a call if we wanted. But he's probably busy writing forMETALLICA..."

"I'm unbelievably happy with how my life has worked out. My son said to me one day, 'You're a singer and a pilot and a writer and a DJ and a TV presenter... I don't have much to live up to then...'"

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2005, 02:43:51 PM »

IRON MAIDEN manager Rod Smallwood has posted the following message on the band's official web site:

"Last Friday's final show at Hammersmith Apollo was a memorable night. With the help of many of you we raised at least ?110,000 for the Clive Burr MS Trust and we will post the final number when the accounts are finalized. The band were on top form as was Clive who joined them on stage at the end of 'Iron Maiden'. And you the audience were of course magnificent so thanks to you all! Some reviews are being posted to the Tours/Reviews section of this website.

"We would also like to thank our killer krew, the suppliers who helped keep costs down, Hammersmith Apollo venue and box office and especially Stuart Galbraith and Andy Copping and all the Clear Channel gang in the U.K., who not only promoted the gig for nothing but also gave us quite a party afterwards!! Plus our merchandisers Bravado and our agent John Jackson at K2 who also provided their services for free.

"As we were playing songs only from the first four albums on this tour it was particularly appropriate to finish at Hammersmith where we played many times during the tours for these albums and in fact we played there 21 times in the eighties!!! It brought back a lot of great memories to the band and of course Clive.

"We all really enjoyed this summer's Tour so thanks for turning out and making so many of the gigs so memorable. The band are taking a bit of time off before regrouping in January to start writing then recording a new studio album so hopefully we may see many of you again on tour in late 2006/early 2007.

"Until then take care of yourselves and ..... YOU ARE THE BEST!!!"

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2005, 07:28:35 PM »

Adam Harrold of RockSomething.com recently conducted an interview with former IRON MAIDEN frontman Paul Di'Anno. A few excerpts from the chat follow:

RockSomething.com: What do you think about MAIDEN [performing] lots of your songs again with Bruce [Dickinson] singing on them? On the "Early Days" DVD you say that Bruce is the better singer.

Paul: "You must remember that interviews and filming usually end up highly edited, and I actually said (on various occasions) that Bruce is a better singer for MAIDEN as they became in their later years. I think Bruce's high operatic and theatrical type voice is better suited to MAIDEN's later material, but I honestly think he sounds like a fucking fairy when he is trying to fill my shoes on songs from the first two albums. My voice is aggressive and violent (kind of like me in a way) and it sounds like someone dragged me up from a low-class background and I was used to having a regular fucking good kicking (in the bollocks) every now and then. On the other hand, Bruce's voice is sang in The Queen's English ? very politely and with all the letters pronounced properly, and you can imagine him practising his sword fencing whilst practising his vocal exercises. He sounds like a very nice public school boy (which he was) who used to sing in the local church choir after school and was an instant hit with all the old grannies. Meanwhile, I was getting my dick sucked by all the fanny in the park being the fucking animal that I have always been. Bruce is silver but I am gold, as simple as that really."

RockSomething.com: The first two albums are still often listed as people's favorite MAIDEN albums. Does this make you proud or do you wish at times that you could get away from your MAIDEN past?

Paul: "There are still a lot of people who seem forget that my voice was and still is a huge part of MAIDEN's past, and I am both happy and proud of that fact, as MAIDEN got there with my voice. However how comes some cunts make a big fucking noise about me singing 'Running Free' and the other classics, but when Bruce is out there singing the first two albums and trying to clone my voice, then that is perfectly acceptable?"

RockSomething.com: Did you ever listen to the Blaze-era MAIDEN?

Paul: "I try to not listen to shit."

RockSomething.com: You're currently touring Europe and then onto Russia. How?s that going for you? Do you find the U.K. audience still treats you well?

Paul: "Well, I am doing just unbelievable, just about everywhere now apart from USA and U.K., but in all fairness I do not really play much in the U.K. anymore as the rewards are so low and the expenses are so high. However, my manager has recently informed me that I'll be playing London sometime early next year, so ask me again then."

RockSomething.com: I hear that you're living/have recently lived in Brazil. What's that like?

Paul: "I lived there for a short time as it is a an extremely big market for me, and it was easier to live there for a while, instead of keep travelling backwards and forwards to do shows and recordings etc. I loved living in Brazil for the short time that I did as it is my favorite place in the world, but now I have returned back to living in Wiltshire in the U.K."

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2005, 08:37:46 PM »

According to a posting on the IRON MAIDEN fan site MaidenFans.com, MAIDEN frontman Bruce Dickinson revealed in an interview with MTV Brazil this past week weekend that the band will enter the studio in March 2006 to record a new studio album, tentatively due next fall. A European tour is expected to kick off in October 2006, with South American dates tentatively penciled in for February 2007.

In other news, Dickinson delivered a keynote speech to Access All Areas delegates on November 9 in Stockholm, Sweden (Access All Areas is Sweden's annual showcase and networking event for the international music industry). 58girl, a member of the Scream For Me community (a Bruce Dickinson forum), has issued the following report on Bruce's speech at the event:

"[Bruce] was quite hard on the music industry and compared it to the porn industry ? it's all about making money and it needs new faces all the time, which makes it hard to stay in the limelight for long. On the other hand he wasn't happy about the Internet with its possibilities of downloading music for free. He looks on music as a work of art that has a worth. He made the comparison to T-shirts ? people can pay 30 dollars for a T-shirt with the band name, but they don't want to pay 10 bucks for the album. He thinks that the future lies in smaller and more specilalized selling units. I think he is right about that, several other speakers said the same thing during the day."

Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2005, 01:49:16 PM »

"You'll never see an outside songwriter writing for IRON MAIDEN. It just wouldn't happen. I suppose we could give Robbie Williams' ex-songwriter Guy Chambers a call if we wanted. But he's probably busy writing forMETALLICA..."

rofl
genius!

maiden is so cool!

but they are milking every dime and chance they have for touring though.... first timei saw maiden was for promoting the best of thing... secund, and last time, i saw them they played for that DVD... oh well, it rocked anyway! ok

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
IronMaiden415
Headliner

getting bizzy with izzy

« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2005, 12:23:19 PM »

Just wonderin guys what your views were on iron maiden and how they compare to gnr.
I personally think that maiden are great but that they're talent doesn't come anywhere near the old gnr or the new for that matter, I mean yeah bruce dickenson's a pretty good vocalist but imo his vocal skills just can't match axl's.
 Anyway, i'd just like to hear what your guys opinions on the subject are ?Wink
thx

What the fuck?!!! Bruce Dickinson is the greatest metal vocalist of all time. Axl is one of the best frontmen and composers of all time, but his vocal range isn't nearly as wide as Bruce's. Also, Maiden writes beautiful music. Pick up Powerslave and listen to Rime of the Anicient Mariner before you base your judgements off of songs like RTTH or The Trooper. They also have to greatest bass player of all time, Steve Harris!!!  peace

Dec 17 - Tran Siberian Orchestra - fuckin amazing!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: