Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:09:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  U2
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: U2  (Read 128349 times)
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #360 on: October 15, 2014, 04:24:22 PM »

I think there's hints of that Pop essence on latter albums, but you're right, they became more concerned with the "classic U2 sound" instead of taking chances....

/jarmo

I remember when How to dismantle a atomic bomb came out. It was a kind of ''Oh, a new u2 record, i wonder what did they invent this time''  Thats long gone now. They kinda stopped being relevant during that period.

I agree that After POP they changed completly. Just to compare the Popmart tour with the awesome techno intros and remixes, mirrorball lemon, alter egos ect. and two years later became the most serious pop-rock band in the world.

This quote from Bono in 2002 made clear that they were done taking chances:  "We're reapplying for the job. What job? The best band in the world job."
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #361 on: October 15, 2014, 05:07:08 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/bono-apologizes-for-free-u2-album-on-itunes-accounts/ar-AA6SS5n

Bono apologizes for free U2 album on iTunes accounts

Call it a mix of ego, generosity, self-promotion and insecurity. But Bono is sorry for giving away U2's latest album for free on iTunes accounts.

There were grumbles last month when the Irish rock band's new album "Song of Innocence" was automatically downloaded onto Apple's more than half-billion iTunes accounts around the world.

Among other things, some iTunes users griped that the record took up valuable iPhone storage space.

In a video interview hosted on Facebook Tuesday, Bono appeared with the other members of the band to take written questions from fans. One of them said, please, no more automatic freebies on iTunes.

"It's really rude," that person, identified as Harriet Madeline Jobson, wrote.

"Oops," said a contrite-looking Bono, in trademark dark glasses.

"I'm sorry about that," Bono said.

"I had this beautiful idea. Might have gotten carried away with ourselves. Artists are prone to that thing. A drop of megalomania, a touch of generosity, a dash of self-promotion, and deep fear that these songs that we poured our life into over the last few years might not be heard," he added.

"There's a lot of noise out there. I guess, we got a little noisy ourselves to get through it."

Thanks to Apple, people can now remove the album from their iTunes accounts with the click of an on-screen icon.

U2 -- who released some of the most acclaimed albums of the 1980s including "The Joshua Tree" and "Rattle and Hum" -- could have expected major sales for a new album.

While Apple did not disclose financial arrangements for the free release, U2 has collaborated for years on products with the company.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #362 on: October 16, 2014, 08:43:32 AM »

Well the b-sides includes so many of my fav u2 tracks so i had to Smiley I tought that im crazy for liking party girl! its bad ass . I only heard the passangers album once a few weeks ago, but i remember that it impressed me. Its surely a record that has a lot to discover.

Now im itching to find the unforgettable fire in my record shop. the title song is awesome. I also forgot how good how to dismantle is, now that im listening to it.

Based on your list, we seem to like a lot of the same U2 songs, so I'm pretty sure you would like Unforgettable Fire.  Bad is a U2 classic, such a great song. 

I figured that its gotta be good since its on the top spot of your list and all the songs that are from the 80-90 best of are good. Also the song sweetest thing is a good one!
Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me is also a amazing song.

I wonder if they will make a best of 2000-2020 album.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:49:05 AM by rebelhipi » Logged

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #363 on: October 16, 2014, 10:57:20 AM »

Well the b-sides includes so many of my fav u2 tracks so i had to Smiley I tought that im crazy for liking party girl! its bad ass . I only heard the passangers album once a few weeks ago, but i remember that it impressed me. Its surely a record that has a lot to discover.

Now im itching to find the unforgettable fire in my record shop. the title song is awesome. I also forgot how good how to dismantle is, now that im listening to it.

Based on your list, we seem to like a lot of the same U2 songs, so I'm pretty sure you would like Unforgettable Fire.  Bad is a U2 classic, such a great song. 

I figured that its gotta be good since its on the top spot of your list and all the songs that are from the 80-90 best of are good. Also the song sweetest thing is a good one!
Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me is also a amazing song.

I wonder if they will make a best of 2000-2020 album.

They may need a few more albums to fill a "Best Of" for post-2000 songs.  With what we have, I would probably go with these:

Elevation
Kite
In a Little While
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
All Because of You
Yahweh
No Line on the Horizon
Every Breaking Wave
California
Volcano
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #364 on: October 16, 2014, 01:18:06 PM »

Remember that they used only three and a half albums for 90-00 achtung,zooropa, pop and half of all that you cant leave behind. then they added unreleased songs, plus miss sarajevo and hold me, thrill me.

Today I would pick something like

Elevation
In a little while
Grace
Vertigo
All because of you
A man and a woman
Yahweh
The saints are coming (green day ugh Lips Sealed)
Window in the skies (i hate the video for it, the song is quite nice)
No line on the horizon
Magnificent
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Fez - Being Born
Ordinary love
Invisible
Raised by wolves
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
The Troubles (has a nice moby vibe this song)

this is close not to fit into a single cd

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #365 on: October 16, 2014, 03:21:14 PM »

True, but the 90-00 greatest hits were mostly songs that were actually 'hits' ( a lot of radio and video rotation).  That hasn't been the case with the more recent songs, but then again not much rock music is played on the radio these days.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #366 on: October 17, 2014, 11:13:24 AM »

Been spending way too much time thinking about this band recently.  The new album has had me re-visiting their entire back catalogue the past few weeks.

In 1990, U2 contributed a song to an AIDS benefit album called Red Hot & Blue.  The song was 'Night & Day'.  It was a cover of a 1932 show tune written by Cole Porter and first performed by Fred Astaire. 

The song has sort of fallen off the map as far as the big U2 songs go, but at the time, the video for this song was getting a good amount of airplay on MTV.  Here's the video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgRD676EIVI

Although it's a cover song, it has almost no relationship to the original besides the lyrics.  More importantly, it had almost no relationship to U2's sound at the time, other than Bono's voice.  Keep in mind, this came out over a year before Achtung Baby, so there was quite the WTF? reaction to this.  For me, it's not only U2's best cover performance, but one of my favorite U2 tracks ever. 
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #367 on: October 18, 2014, 04:29:52 PM »

Been spending way too much time thinking about this band recently.  The new album has had me re-visiting their entire back catalogue the past few weeks.

In 1990, U2 contributed a song to an AIDS benefit album called Red Hot & Blue.  The song was 'Night & Day'.  It was a cover of a 1932 show tune written by Cole Porter and first performed by Fred Astaire. 

The song has sort of fallen off the map as far as the big U2 songs go, but at the time, the video for this song was getting a good amount of airplay on MTV.  Here's the video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgRD676EIVI

Although it's a cover song, it has almost no relationship to the original besides the lyrics.  More importantly, it had almost no relationship to U2's sound at the time, other than Bono's voice.  Keep in mind, this came out over a year before Achtung Baby, so there was quite the WTF? reaction to this.  For me, it's not only U2's best cover performance, but one of my favorite U2 tracks ever. 

Wow! I had no idea this existed! what a great track and a great introduction to 90s u2.
Gotta love Adam and Edge seriously playing their guitars, jamming to a none existent guitar and bass track Grin

Ive have also listened a lot of U2 recently but you are responsable for that. Wink I got the itch by going back thru my U2 collection to make the album list.
I actually ordered the unforgettable fire cd to my self on friday ok

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #368 on: October 20, 2014, 11:48:48 AM »

Wow! I had no idea this existed! what a great track and a great introduction to 90s u2.
Gotta love Adam and Edge seriously playing their guitars, jamming to a none existent guitar and bass track Grin

Ive have also listened a lot of U2 recently but you are responsable for that. Wink I got the itch by going back thru my U2 collection to make the album list.

Hope you enjoy Unforgettable Fire, now I'll feel guilty if you think it sucks!  Night and Day, unfortunately, is available only if you buy the entire Red Hot & Blue album on iTunes; there is a single version you can get from iTunes from the Achtung Baby deluxe edition, but it is a remix that IMO is not nearly as good. 
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #369 on: October 20, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »

Hope you enjoy Unforgettable Fire, now I'll feel guilty if you think it sucks!  Night and Day, unfortunately, is available only if you buy the entire Red Hot & Blue album on iTunes; there is a single version you can get from iTunes from the Achtung Baby deluxe edition, but it is a remix that IMO is not nearly as good. 

Nah, Unforgettable has been in my '' soon to get''album list for ages.
Its a shame that night and day is hard to get, the remix sounded allright. such a good song...

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #370 on: November 02, 2014, 08:36:36 AM »

Well now ive heard the unforgettable fire.
Its great. i would rank it around achtung-rattle and hum area in my list.

Also im starting to think that songs of innocence is their best since all that you leave behind.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #371 on: November 04, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »

Also im starting to think that songs of innocence is their best since all that you leave behind.

Some very good tracks on Songs of Innocence.  My favorites are Every Breaking Wave, California, Volcano and This is Where You Can Reach Me Now (love the drums in that song).   There's an obvious emphasis on song melodies, more keyboards and much less guitar from Edge.  I would have loved to hear him more on the album.  Even still, as an overall album, I think it might be their best of the 2000s.  But I don't think there's any 1 song better than Yahweh, which IMO is their best of that era. 

By the way, doesn't the guitar solo in Song for Someone sound just like the guitar riff from Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand?
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #372 on: November 04, 2014, 12:55:29 PM »

Some very good tracks on Songs of Innocence.  My favorites are Every Breaking Wave, California, Volcano and This is Where You Can Reach Me Now (love the drums in that song).   There's an obvious emphasis on song melodies, more keyboards and much less guitar from Edge.  I would have loved to hear him more on the album.  Even still, as an overall album, I think it might be their best of the 2000s.  But I don't think there's any 1 song better than Yahweh, which IMO is their best of that era. 

By the way, doesn't the guitar solo in Song for Someone sound just like the guitar riff from Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand?

There is a big similarity, but not too much to irritate, i think.

I like drums aswell for reach me now, it brings the song to another level, the part just before the chorus and the changing from 8-notes to 16-notes is pretty badass.

I really like Larrys drumming in general i think that he gets overlooked too much. hes the perfect guy for the band which is i main job of drummer in a band.

!Warning! some serious drum talk coming up.

Hes got a really great unique style, for example, sunday bloody sunday (of course) Lemon, Bullet the blue sky, Mofo (i looove that groove, same in discotheque!) Gone, Until the end of the world ( really hard to play that groove like he does, cause hes so good with changing the power of the strokes within the groove, also theres a really subtle speeding up inside the groove and he comes back after every bar, which is awesome) No line on the horizon has a great beat also!

BTW. The first time when heard until the end of the world, i  was mad at U2 because i though that the intro to the song was a huge Mr. Brownstone ripoff. When you think about it, it kinda is a ripoff Tongue

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 12:59:22 PM by rebelhipi » Logged

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #373 on: November 04, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »

I like drums aswell for reach me now, it brings the song to another level, the part just before the chorus and the changing from 8-notes to 16-notes is pretty badass.

I really like Larrys drumming in general i think that he gets overlooked too much. hes the perfect guy for the band which is i main job of drummer in a band.

Hes got a really great unique style, for example, sunday bloody sunday (of course) Lemon, Bullet the blue sky, Mofo (i looove that groove, same in discotheque!) Gone, Until the end of the world ( really hard to play that groove like he does, cause hes so good with changing the power of the strokes within the groove, also theres a really subtle speeding up inside the groove and he comes back after every bar, which is awesome) No line on the horizon has a great beat also!

BTW. The first time when heard until the end of the world, i  was mad at U2 because i though that the intro to the song was a huge Mr. Brownstone ripoff. When you think about it, it kinda is a ripoff Tongue

Yes, it is the same beat, but Guns ripped it off too.  That's the "Bo Diddley Beat", probably the most sampled beat in music history:  http://blog.fxdurkin.com/2013/06/06/117-songs-with-a-bo-diddley-beat-andor-songs-by-bo-diddley/
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #374 on: November 04, 2014, 03:36:27 PM »

Yes, it is the same beat, but Guns ripped it off too.  That's the "Bo Diddley Beat", probably the most sampled beat in music history:  http://blog.fxdurkin.com/2013/06/06/117-songs-with-a-bo-diddley-beat-andor-songs-by-bo-diddley/

Yeah i know that bo diddley beat thing, i think gnr used it in a creative way, they did someting new with it, and U2 just copy pasted the idea and took brownstones intro and put it in end of the worlds intro, i know this is the most ridiculous thing but it drives me crazy every time i hear the intro to end of the world i start to hear brownstone in my head.
But probably it has nothing to do with brownstone, its just me.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #375 on: November 05, 2014, 10:46:54 AM »

Yeah i know that bo diddley beat thing, i think gnr used it in a creative way, they did someting new with it, and U2 just copy pasted the idea and took brownstones intro and put it in end of the worlds intro, i know this is the most ridiculous thing but it drives me crazy every time i hear the intro to end of the world i start to hear brownstone in my head.
But probably it has nothing to do with brownstone, its just me.

Oh, I see what you mean... though, to me, I thought U2 also had its own touch to that on the End of the World.  In general, though, I agree with you 100% on Larry Mullen, such an underrated drummer.  He has some great moments on Unforgettable Fire, particularly Bad and Elvis and America. 
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #376 on: November 07, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »

Bono on U2's iTunes Giveaway: 'It's One of the Proudest Things for Us Ever'

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6311921/bono-u2-dublin-web-summit-conference-itunes?facebook_20141107

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #377 on: December 05, 2014, 10:04:04 PM »

U2 is....really not....good music.
ugh

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
italian queen
« Reply #378 on: February 02, 2015, 05:01:34 AM »

great album this last one.
I love U2.
italian queen
« Reply #379 on: May 15, 2015, 09:27:20 AM »

u2 started their new world tour Yesterday in Vancouver!
great show!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: