Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:37:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227805 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Is it a difficult life for kids that are an only-child with a single parent?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it a difficult life for kids that are an only-child with a single parent?  (Read 2690 times)
MikeB
« on: August 13, 2005, 03:30:00 AM »

No way in hell I'm going to mention who I know that's  having this issue . But I REALLY need your opinion for fuck's sake, people! Angry
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 03:33:56 AM by MikeB » Logged
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 05:56:05 AM »

When my mother and father got divorced I had my twin and older brother to comfort me. Having siblings to support you through hard times certainly helps.

If a child doesn't have a support system such as siblings, cousins, close friends, and their parent works all the time, they may feel like they're all alone in the world. Whether or not life is more difficult depends on the overall situation of the family structure. If there is love within the small unit, their life shouldn't be too difficult.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 06:00:43 AM by journey » Logged
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 11:59:01 AM »

My oldest was an only child for 9 years, and I was a single parent for 8 of those 9 years. 

She had an excellent support system of great grandparents, aunts/uncles, and cousins, plus a lot of friends.  I think she is actually better adjusted and more mature than many girls her age as a result of those first 8 years of her life.  She adapts well to changes and is very well behaved -- much much more so than I was at her age.

I think that if a child is going to live in such an environment, what is important is that the parent make the child the number one priority -- not just in words but in practice.  It's easy to say 'my kid (or my family) is the most important person in my life' but it's another thing entirely to actually live in that statement, and make it real.  Children (whether they are in a single parent or two parent household) need to feel that kind of unconditional love, and know that there is someone there for them. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: