Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:47:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227829 Posts in 43249 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Game - set - match ---- The Tennis thread
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game - set - match ---- The Tennis thread  (Read 5587 times)
Ignatius
Legend

« on: August 14, 2005, 07:49:44 AM »

There's already a tenis related thread, but it's very specific to Wimbledon. If you mods feel it should be merged onto the other thread, please do so.

I've always loved the game of tenis. I've always wanted to be a pro, but never been that good. I played a few regional and province competitions when I was 13-14 and won a few tournaments, but didn't have the edge that separates mediocre players from pros. I still play for fun these days, however, don't compete anymore.

I do watch tennis a lot on tv when comes out. I usually pull for my fellow compatriots but I do appreciate a good match anyway. Now in Spain we do have a rising star, Rafael Nadal # 2 in the world just behind Federer. He is still a teenager but plays like a 30 year old veteran. He's got the passion, desire, motivation...similar player than Hewitt, but more charismatic. He's won 8 tounaments this year and plays the Montreal Final against Agassi today.

This thread could be updated every week with scores, rankings and things like that. Also, as the US open is coming up in a few weeks, we could have some sort of discussion about our favorites.

So, any tennis fans out there? There has to be some since that Wimbledon thread had some posts.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 11:22:49 AM by Ignatius » Logged
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 11:14:39 AM »

So, any tennis fans out there? There has to be some since that Wimbledon thread had some posts.
Kinda, i love watching Wimbledon every year, have done for at least the past 10 years...probably more never played it though i've always enjoyed playing Badminton though that's tons of fun.  It's definately one of my fave sports to watch and being british i've hoped for years we'd have a success story at Wimbledon unfortunately Tim Henman is a total dick who always messes up, seems like a right wimp.  We do have hope for the future though now in the form of Andy Murray who made a great debut this year.  I've always been a fan of the Aussie's aswell such as Pat Rafter (who's retired now) and Mark Philippoussis always entertaining to watch.  I'm getting sick of Roger Federer though he's like the Chelsea of Tennis.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 07:37:25 AM »

Time to update this thread.

Roger Federer won the US Open. He's reached such a level that I don't think he is gonna lose any more matches until the end of the season. Agassi played the best match I'ever seen him play (especially, the second set) and he still lost in 4 sets. It makes me wonder how good a player must play to beat Federer. His performance during the open was simply phenomenal.

The americans did very well. Andy Roddick was out in the first round, but Ginepri, Agassi and a re-born James Blake (beat number 2 seed Rafael Nadal) all reached the quarters.

The spaniards didn't do their homework. Nadal's gotta a lot to improve to really do well in hard courts.

There are other rising stars that will make the sport much more exitingin the years to come. Frenchman Richard Gasquet (same age as Nadal) has adapted himself better to these hard courts, he will trulll be a threat now in the fall season. Andrew Murray (British) lost in the second round but also has a solid background game. There's also another kid, Tomas Berdych, he will do well.

Coming up next is the european indoor season. Then, the Masters in Shangai.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 05:19:35 PM »

Murray defeated Henman.....Wooooooo!

Start of a NEW Era for British Tennis, we may actually have a future Wimbledon Champion this time...

.....as soon as Federer fucks off that is.
Evolution
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 05:43:28 PM »

Start of a NEW Era for British Tennis,

Scottish tennis  rant
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 06:32:18 PM »

Scottish tennis? rant
Yeah, whatever...he's playing for Britain NOT Scotland so you'll have to share Tongue
Evolution
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 06:34:46 PM »

Scottish tennis  rant
Yeah, whatever...he's playing for Britain NOT Scotland so you'll have to share Tongue

Never!
Evolution
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 06:40:24 PM »

Reason is, If he is frm England the BBC says "English athlete so and so has taken gold!". If he is from Scotland? "British athlete has taken gold."

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 09:27:04 AM »

Czech Tomas Berdych wins Paris Master Series.

He beat Ljubicic in 5 sets 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 4-6, 6-4. He had beaten 4 other seeded players on the way to the final sunday. This guy is amazing; I already talked about him about 3 months ago when he beat world number two Rafael Nadal in the first round of another Master Series (Cincinnati). He sure is gonna win a lot of matches next year.

Coming is the Masters Cup. The top 8 players of the year will be divided in two groups. Top 2 per each group will advance to the Semi-finals. So far I have no idea who will be in each group, but the 8 players are:

Roger Federer - SWI
Rafael Nadal - SPN
Andy Roddick - USA
Leyton Hewitt - AUS
Andre Agassi - USA
Guillermo Coria - ARG
Marat Safin - RUS
Ivan Ljubicic - CRO

More info soon.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 04:23:33 PM »

Who won the match between Federer and Lubijcic?  Huh

No man can be my equal
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 04:44:25 PM »

maursemo beat pierce in the 100%french finale of the masters.
i hate both them Smiley

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 05:55:07 AM »

Who won the match between Federer and Lubijcic?? Huh

Federer in three sets.

Well, Not even half of the players I mention in?the previous post, have taken part in this year's masters.

Rafael Nadal withdrew a few hours before his first game - left ankle
Marat Safin announced a week earlier he was not gonna play - injured -
Andy Roddick didn't take part either - back injury -
Leyton Hewitt - Stayed in Australia to witness the birth of his new baby
Andre Agassi - Retired after he had played the first match.

Out of 8 players, 4 are argentinian, 1 swiss, 1 croat, 1 russian and 1 chilean.

So far Roger's won two matches, Ljubicic and Nabaldian won 1 a piece
Davidenko and Gaudio won 1 a piece (more matches from this group today)

Yeah, Mauresmo won the ladies masters. I don't like her, I do like Mary Pierce, dunno why, but I've always have. She's got an attitude, I like that.

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 07:14:45 PM »

Update.

David Nalbandian beat Roger Federer in five amazing sets today in the Masters Final. This was the upset of the year cause David was really the underdog on this one. Match lasted 4 hours + and if any of you guys have a chance to watch a re-run maybe tomorrow, do it. That's tennis at its best (specially sets 1, 2 and 5).

Season's over now. Coming up in Jan'06 we have the warm up tournaments in Sydney and Adelaida. Then the first biggie in Melbourne in late Jan.

Can't wait.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 03:22:31 AM by Ignatius » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: