Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:17:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  End of the Bush Era
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: End of the Bush Era  (Read 13478 times)
SLCPUNK
« on: September 13, 2005, 08:36:51 PM »

End of the Bush Era

By E. J. Dionne Jr.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005; Page A27
The New York Times

The Bush Era is over. The sooner politicians in both parties realize that, the better for them -- and the country.

Recent months, and especially the past two weeks, have brought home to a steadily growing majority of Americans the truth that President Bush's government doesn't work. His policies are failing, his approach to leadership is detached and self-indulgent, his way of politics has produced a divided, angry and dysfunctional public square. We dare not go on like this.

The Bush Era did not begin when he took office, or even with the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. It began on Sept. 14, 2001, when Bush declared at the World Trade Center site: "I can hear you. The rest of the world hears you. And the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon." Bush was, indeed, skilled in identifying enemies and rallying a nation already disposed to action. He failed to realize after Sept. 11 that it was not we who were lucky to have him as a leader, but he who was lucky to be president of a great country that understood the importance of standing together in the face of a grave foreign threat. Very nearly all of us rallied behind him.

If Bush had understood that his central task was to forge national unity, as he seemed to shortly after Sept. 11, the country would never have become so polarized. Instead, Bush put patriotism to the service of narrowly ideological policies and an extreme partisanship. He pushed for more tax cuts for his wealthiest supporters and shamelessly used relatively modest details in the bill creating a Department of Homeland Security as partisan cudgels in the 2002 elections.

He invoked our national anger over terrorism to win support for a war in Iraq. But he failed to pay heed to those who warned that the United States would need many more troops and careful planning to see the job through. The president assumed things would turn out fine, on the basis of wildly optimistic assumptions. Careful policymaking and thinking through potential flaws in your approach are not his administration's strong suits.

And so the Bush Era ended definitively on Sept. 2, the day Bush first toured the Gulf Coast States after Hurricane Katrina. There was no magic moment with a bullhorn. The utter failure of federal relief efforts had by then penetrated the country's consciousness. Yesterday's resignation of FEMA Director Michael Brown put an exclamation point on the failure.

The source of Bush's political success was his claim that he could protect Americans. Leadership, strength and security were Bush's calling cards. Over the past two weeks, they were lost in the surging waters of New Orleans.

But the first intimations of the end of the Bush Era came months ago. The president's post-election fixation on privatizing part of Social Security showed how out of touch he was. The more Bush discussed this boutique idea cooked up in conservative think tanks and Wall Street imaginations, the less the public liked it. The situation in Iraq deteriorated. The glorious economy Bush kept touting turned out not to be glorious for many Americans. The Census Bureau's annual economic report, released in the midst of the Gulf disaster, found that an additional 4.1 million Americans had slipped into poverty between 2001 and 2004.

The breaking of the Bush spell opens the way for leaders of both parties to declare their independence from the recent past. It gives forces outside the White House the opportunity to shape a more appropriate national agenda -- for competence and innovation in rebuilding the Katrina region and for new approaches to the problems created over the past 4 1/2 years.

The federal budget, already a mess before Katrina, is now a laughable document. Those who call for yet more tax cuts risk sounding like robots droning automated talking points programmed inside them long ago. Katrina has forced the issue of deep poverty back onto the national agenda after a long absence. Finding a way forward in -- and eventually out of -- Iraq will require creativity from those not implicated in the administration's mistakes. And if ever the phrase "reinventing government" had relevance, it is now that we have observed the performance of a government that allows political hacks to push aside the professionals.

And what of Bush, who has more than three years left in his term? Paradoxically, his best hope lies in recognizing that the Bush Era, as he and we have known it, really is gone. He can decide to help us in the transition to what comes next. Or he can cling stubbornly to his past and thereby doom himself to frustrating irrelevance.
Surfrider
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 08:42:43 PM »

What a surprising editorial coming from the San Francisco Examiner  Wait, I mean NY Times.  Though I sympathize with many of the positions in the editorial, I am darn tired of the yellow journalism that comes from that rag.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 09:20:31 PM »

Same liberal rhetoric. Bitch bitch bitch. Anything positive to add?

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 10:07:22 PM »

I am darn tired of the yellow journalism that comes from that rag.

Same liberal rhetoric.

Only the source offends you.

Amazing really.

N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 10:29:18 PM »

thank God that Bush's era is finally over  Smiley

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Surfrider
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 10:31:53 PM »

Same liberal rhetoric.

Amazing really.

Well, yah. ?As I stated, I agree with some of the positions in the article. ?However, I am sick of news outlets with agendas. ?Since you seem to despise Fox for their slanted point of view and one-sided rhetoric, I would think you would be the first to point out the same with the New York Times.

Anyway, what do you expect it us to write? ?There is a thread on probably everything mentioned in the article. ?I don't have anything else to add.
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 10:38:38 PM »

Oh, well, hell, if the New York Times declares it, then it must be true.

I mean, it really is the same old liberal rhetoric, and I have more doubts about Bush than I ever did, but .....? hihi

Edit:

his approach to leadership is detached and self-indulgent

Oh, the irony, hilarious.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 10:41:25 PM by loretian » Logged

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 11:35:17 PM »

well thank god the world didn't get Al gore originally with that crazy bitch in tow

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 12:41:46 AM »

Where are your facts to dispute the claims made in the article?

Take a second, and actually look at what is written, can you really dispute it any longer?

The dingy named bias can't keep you guys afloat for much longer, not at a 38% approval rating, and most of that is from a shift with REPUBLICANS.

Maybe the polls are all biased too?

Just like everybody who used to work for Bush and has since spoken against him is "nuts" as well.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 02:17:44 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 02:28:39 AM »

i heard is gonna go back to high school .

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 08:10:50 AM »

Same liberal rhetoric.

Amazing really.

Well, yah. ?As I stated, I agree with some of the positions in the article. ?However, I am sick of news outlets with agendas. ?Since you seem to despise Fox for their slanted point of view and one-sided rhetoric, I would think you would be the first to point out the same with the New York Times.

Anyway, what do you expect it us to write? ?There is a thread on probably everything mentioned in the article. ?I don't have anything else to add.

Ummmm....wasn't this printed in the editorial section? I think it was, but can someone confirm?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 08:13:03 AM »

Take a second, and actually look at what is written, can you really dispute it any longer?

The dingy named bias can't keep you guys afloat for much longer, not at a 38% approval rating, and most of that is from a shift with REPUBLICANS.

Just like everybody who used to work for Bush and has since spoken against him is "nuts" as well.

If you've noticed, recently, it's remarkable how much the party is starting to try to distance itself from Bush.  They know the mid-terms are only a year away, and they've no desire to attach themselves to his currently atrocious numbers....

Together again,
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 08:36:20 AM »

thank God that Bush's era is finally over? Smiley

If you ask me it ended the day he declared war on a bunch of 3rd world countries for the actions of a tiny majority of extremists.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 09:22:28 AM »

I think Bush father wasn't that bad. His only really big mistake is that he didn't finish his mission back in 1991, he should have ended with saddam hussein in 1991, and there wouldn't have been a second gulf war with Bush son. Bush son is definitely stupid. His father, whatever you agreed with him or not, wasn't.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 09:24:38 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
sandman
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 09:47:41 AM »

If you've noticed, recently, it's remarkable how much the party is starting to try to distance itself from Bush.? They know the mid-terms are only a year away, and they've no desire to attach themselves to his currently atrocious numbers....

remarkable? hardly. just as it wouldn't be remarkable to see them all up bush's ass if his approval ratings go up to 60%.

it's basic political strategy. it's really just common sense. 

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
shades
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 10:12:51 AM »

Same liberal rhetoric.

Amazing really.

No actually, YOU offend me

Bustin Flat in Baton Rouge
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 10:40:29 AM »

If you've noticed, recently, it's remarkable how much the party is starting to try to distance itself from Bush.? They know the mid-terms are only a year away, and they've no desire to attach themselves to his currently atrocious numbers....

remarkable? hardly. just as it wouldn't be remarkable to see them all up bush's ass if his approval ratings go up to 60%.

it's basic political strategy. it's really just common sense.?

Oh, I understand it's political strategy (and say as much in the last line).

But for a party that was, as you phrased it, "up bush's ass" pretty far previously, I think it IS remarkable how quickly, and completely, they've turned in the other direction.  You don't think the change is worthy of discussion?

Together again,
Surfrider
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 11:10:36 AM »

Same liberal rhetoric.

Amazing really.

Ummmm....wasn't this printed in the editorial section? I think it was, but can someone confirm?
The diversity in the editorial section is about as diverse as the political affiliation of the people that write the articles for the actual paper.

People can't have it both ways.  You can't sit and harp on Fox News and not point out the same about the NYT.  Is the writer right about many things?  Perhaps.  However, why read something when you know what the viewpoint is going to be?
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 11:25:48 AM »

BIG SUPRISE! THE NY TIMES printed an anti-Bush letter.  SLC PUNK, when you do provide a source it's always from a liberal piece of shit news source or anything that can be deemed a source.  Your allegians to the leftist ideology is truly blinding.  I know you agree that for the most part American people are stupid.  If that is true, than why do you care what Bush's approval rating is?  When his Approval ratings were at an all time high you were still bashing Bush and calling the American people stupid.  Now that they're at an all time low, you're refraining from calling them stupid.  You can't have your cake and eat it to man.  The American people by and large are fuckin retarded.  They don't understand dickshit about politics and the economy - just like the majority of every other person in this world.  Europeans are no more patriotic or informed than Americans; they just have a better welfare state to take care of the really dumb ones to keep their mouths shut.
   Our economy is outstanding ans is running twice as fast as Europe.  Our unemployment rate is at 5% while France is aroud 8% and Germany is around 11%.  For someone who seems to have a hint of intelligence, you're really standing in the woods and only seeing a few trees.  How would John Kerry or any other presidential candidate handled this current situation better?  Kerry wouldn't have pulled us out of Iraq and any person with half a brain wouldn't either.  The huricane relief situation wasn't handled the best it could have been, but Bush isn't directly responsible for FEMA.  The American people like all people are easy to sway because they choose to be.  There is an overwhelming liberal bias in the media and every dipshit who wants to be mislead will be.  In two years when Bush's approval ratings are back above 50% will the American people have become dumber over that time span? The unfortunate reality for you and all other liberals is that your inane policies are only attractive to a small, vocal minority and when it's decision time the little amount of common sense left in the average American runs away like a frightened mouse. 
  Bush is a fuck up, but name me one American president that hasn't.  Fucking up comes with the job.  It's alot easier to point the blame and switch sides when there's no personal cost involved.  That's exactly what the American people are doing now.  They want immediate results with no care or consideration for the consequences or costs.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 11:29:45 AM »

Same liberal rhetoric.

Amazing really.

The diversity in the editorial section is about as diverse as the political affiliation of the people that write the articles for the actual paper.

People can't have it both ways.? You can't sit and harp on Fox News and not point out the same about the NYT.? Is the writer right about many things?? Perhaps.? However, why read something when you know what the viewpoint is going to be?

There's a big difference.  I expect opinion in the editorial section of the paper (varied or not)...that's what it's for.  And this article was properly placed there.

I don't expect (or respect) editorializing in the guise of reporting news.  That's what Fox does (though I agree, they're not the only ones), and what others have taken them to task for.  I could care less what opinion they express in their "editorial" shows (like the panel shows).

Together again,
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: