Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:30:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227825 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Gigantour 2005 Megadeth/Dream Theater........
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gigantour 2005 Megadeth/Dream Theater........  (Read 7968 times)
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005, 03:28:38 PM »

Mustaine's layin' the smackdown.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 05:04:41 PM »

MEGADETH basssist James MacDonough has posted the following message in the "Forums" section of the band's official web site:

"Hey guys, sorry it's been a while, but finally got my wireless laptop back.

"The tour is going awesome, of course. I think it's come together quite nicely. There are so many people everywhere, all the time working their butts off to make everything work, it's quite amazing to see every day.

"Mike Portnoy [DREAM THEATER] and I both got tattoos at the Atlanta show, we were filmed and interviewed by Mike Sarna for the documentary part of the DVD. You will or have already seen pics of them I'd imagine. I'm very happy with it indeed.

"I still have to go through some pics for the next little entry into my section so check back for that. There are some really cool festival shots with views of the stage and crowd. My favs are the ones of Donington.

"There are a number of people running around with video cams and I just added myself to that list. We'll have to see exactly what we can come up with for you, with a variety of different views. I?ve never owned one so this will be interesting.

"Yesterday we made the long haul from Tampa and arrived about 1 a.m. this morning in Detroit, actually right outside of the city. On days such as this we catch up on sleep (especially the crew) and watch alot of movies.

"We stopped at at a Meyer's yesterday, a shopping super center, so everyone could get what they needed. John Leeder bought a football and we ran around the parking lot for a while. He's got quite an arm so he bruised us up a little bit.

"It's time to get some lunch and start my practice routine before we go to the venue and bring down the roof, AGAIN. The response and turnouts have been amazing, and I'd like to welcome THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN to the roster. These guys put on an ecstatic show and should be checked out.

"I'll check back in a few, take care all and see you at the shows!!!"

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 09:56:32 PM »

According to DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy, the Montreal Gigantour concert on September 2 will be filmed and recorded for an upcoming Gigantour DVD and Gigantour CD. "If you would like to be a part of this experience, be sure to get your tickets for the show now!" says Portnoy. "Montreal is almost sold out..."

DREAM THEATER and MEGADETH are currently co-headlining the six-week Gigantour, also featuring FEAR FACTORY, NEVERMORE, THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN, LIFE OF AGONY, BOBAFLEX and SYMPHONY X.

As previously reported, DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy's "Drumavarium" DVD is now available for pre-order from the MikePortnoy.com store.

The "Drumavarium" DVD contains Mike's drum-cam footage from DREAM THEATER's "Octavarium" recording sessions. Audio Options include Full Band and Isolated Drums. Bonus features include over three minutes of studio outtakes.

This DVD is region free but is only available in NTSC format, AC3 Dolby Digital (2 channel stereo) Audio.

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 11:22:11 AM »

(August 31, 2005) ? This is weird ... it's a concert at Darien Lake Performing Arts Center ... and virtually no one's here.

Four thousand people, probably, for Tuesday's "Gigantour," which the accountants are probably calling this summer's "Giganflop." The DarienLake show was no aberration, either. Gigantour has floundered wherever it's roamed this summer, following in the wake of OzzFest and the Warped Tour, both of which seemed to be drawing 18,000 people at every date. Perhaps, by the time Gigantour arrived, everyone had already spent their allowance.

While OzzFest did snag the big metal names with a reunited Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden, the eight-band Gigantour certainly seemed promising when announced, with Dream Theater and the surprisingly strong return from the dead by Megadeth.

Mushrooms of yellow flame greeted Megadeth, opening with "Blackmail the Universe" over a recording of a newscast about terrorism. Once one of the most-influential of metal bands, Megadeth's constantly shifting personnel, as well as lead singer and guitarist Dave Mustaine's addictions and erratic personality, had worn the band out by the early '90s. And when Mustaine was diagnosed with a severe case of strained nerves in his left hand and arm, his guitar-shredding days seemed over.

But what a comeback Mustaine and Megadeth have made with the new album, The System Has Failed. As speed metal as ever, Megadeth played furiously, Mustaine's Farrah Fawcett hair cascading about his shoulders in the most-metal of ways. Mustaine is such a cynical fellow, he seems perfect for these times, with songs such as "Set the World Afire" and "Holy War."

Yet the virtuosos of the evening were Dream Theater, the longtime Long Island prog-metal outfit. Guitarist John Petrucci is such an astonishingly intricate and accomplished player, there's a temptation to think he's ready to move on to an arena of music that will grant him a wider audience than the limited arena of progressive rock. New songs such as "Panic Attack," as well as crowd sing-along faves like "Pull Me Under," will remain in the possession of Dream Theater's cult of fans. Certainly no radio station will make room for nine-minute epics of Apocalypse.

Overall, Gigantour is a bewildering array of metal. Let's ask experts Dan Behrens, 22, of Clarence and Jay Zgoda, 25, of Buffalo. They have a prog-rock band called My Lost Lenore. They missed the nu-metal of Bobaflex, and this was before Megadeth hit the stage, but they ranked the remainder: 6, Dry Kill Logic. 5, Life of Agony. "Nothing special," Zgoda says. 4, Fear Factory. "We heard 'em from the parking lot," Zgoda says. 3, Nevermore. "Way better than Fear Factory," Behrens says. 2, Dream Theater. 1, Symphony X. "They tore it up," Zgoda says.

If anything, Gigantour is too long on virtuosity, too short on mosh pits. If you're gonna make an omelet, you've gotta break a few eggheads.

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2005, 03:15:23 PM »

I saw Dream Theater on Gigantour last week.  Holy shit were they boring.  To me it seemed like one giant boring song.  I almost fell asleep several times lying on the lawn of the PNC Bank Arts Center...and I wasn't drunk or anything.  Megadeth came out and totally whooped everyone's asses.  They were amazing.  Dream Theater may be talented as all hell, but they're twice as boring as they are talented.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
MikeB
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2005, 10:48:15 PM »

It's a damn shame I missed Megadeth when they came to my state because they kick ass.
headbanger headbanger headbanger headbanger headbanger headbanger
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2005, 02:09:48 AM »

Damn, I think I'm hypnotized by those headbanging smileys.  I can't take my eyes off them.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2005, 03:04:04 PM »

I saw Dream Theater on Gigantour last week.? Holy shit were they boring.? To me it seemed like one giant boring song.? I almost fell asleep several times lying on the lawn of the PNC Bank Arts Center...and I wasn't drunk or anything.? Megadeth came out and totally whooped everyone's asses.? They were amazing.? Dream Theater may be talented as all hell, but they're twice as boring as they are talented.

Hey Rob, what was the setlist like for megadeth? was it heavy on the new material or more like the greatest hits thing they just released?

I'm goin to the Gigantour soon and wanna get all psyched up for the show by listening to some stuff that they may play.

MikeB
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2005, 03:07:48 PM »

Damn, I think I'm hypnotized by those headbanging smileys.? I can't take my eyes off them.
It's a shame they move the same time. hihi But  I really love Megadeth, one of my top bands.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2005, 11:27:39 PM »

I saw Dream Theater on Gigantour last week.? Holy shit were they boring.? To me it seemed like one giant boring song.? I almost fell asleep several times lying on the lawn of the PNC Bank Arts Center...and I wasn't drunk or anything.? Megadeth came out and totally whooped everyone's asses.? They were amazing.? Dream Theater may be talented as all hell, but they're twice as boring as they are talented.

Hey Rob, what was the setlist like for megadeth? was it heavy on the new material or more like the greatest hits thing they just released?

I'm goin to the Gigantour soon and wanna get all psyched up for the show by listening to some stuff that they may play.

They played Wake Up Dead, Peace Sells, Set The World Afire, In My Darkest Hour, Holy Wars, Hangar 18, Tornado Of Souls, Skin Of My Teah, Sweating Bullets, Symphony Of Destruction, Reckoning Day, Et Toute Lamonde (I'm sure I misspelled that one), Blackmail The Universe, Kick The Chair, Die Dead Enough, The Scorpion, and a few more I can't remember.  So it was a pretty varied setlist.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2005, 06:59:44 AM »

They played Wake Up Dead, Peace Sells, Set The World Afire, In My Darkest Hour, Holy Wars, Hangar 18, Tornado Of Souls, Skin Of My Teah, Sweating Bullets, Symphony Of Destruction, Reckoning Day, Et Toute Lamonde (I'm sure I misspelled that one), Blackmail The Universe, Kick The Chair, Die Dead Enough, The Scorpion, and a few more I can't remember.? So it was a pretty varied setlist.

Cool thanx dude.  ok

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2005, 09:32:37 AM »

I saw Gigantour in the Molson Ampitheater, Toronto, ON, Canada on Saturday,

It was my first time seeing Megadetha and all I have to say is? Shocked Grin ok

What a good fucking show!!

-Life of Agony was Ehhh!! alright, i only knew one song, the mixing was terrible though, couldn't hear shit
-Fear Factory was really good, I was surprised, when they played Walk and said "Give it up for Dimebag Darryl" it was really cool, the crowd went nuts
-Dream theatre was alright too, I didn't dig the keyboard player but whatever, it was just weird to here keyboards (which were very dominant btw) in heavy music. they treated it like a second Guitar

it was funny all the chickies were up and singing for DT then when Megadeth started they all sat down, lol, why pay $60 for a ticket if you ain't gonna watch the headliner?

-Now... Megadeth, my god, Mustaine rules!!!!! What a phenominal Musician. The rest of the band was really good too, the Harmonizing was incredible and for dave to sing and play that Shit at the same time I was speechless. A Toute Le Monde was pretty cool (All us Canadians there, we all sang the french parts EH!! lol it was neat, dave never sang at all for the choruses). In my Darkest Hour was the best, they played that song phenominally, the highlight of the night for sure

They played:

Blackmail The Universe, Set The World Afire, Skin O' My Teeth, The Scorpion, Wake Up Dead, In My Darkest Hour, Die Dead Enough, She Wolf, Reckoning Day, A Toute Le Monde, Angry Again, Trust, Hangar 18, Sweating Bullets, Tornado Of Souls, Kick The Chair, Symphony Of Destruction, Peace Sells, encore: Holy Wars

The length of Megadeth's set, (90 minutes?) sucked i was hoping 2 hrs at least, He said virually nothing the whole time though, they played straight through (perfectly btw). I was kinda hoping a bit of a speech or something, but all talked was after In My Darkest Hour, right before A tout le Monde, After Peace Sells and at the end of the show a total of like 5 minutes of talking the rest was Kick Ass Metal!!!!!!

Here are a couple pics i borrowed from a couple other web sites Wink

I recommend anyone go see Megadeth they rule!!!!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 09:39:42 AM by Neemo » Logged

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2005, 07:48:19 AM »

ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian has posted the following message on the group's official web site:

"Cold and rainy Seattle on a Saturday afternoon and we're playing outside! Well, at least the seats are covered. Gigantour has been a blast. Too short. We're only on five shows on this traveling metal extravaganza and I wish it was going longer. Everyone's been great to us like we've been here the whole time. Us newbies were treated very well. Edmonton and Calgary were killer. We hadn't been in those cities since 1988, if memory serves, and the crowds were crazy. I am so stoked we will be back with [JUDAS] PRIEST so soon.

"Vancouver was the best show so far. We were there last in 2000 (with Snake Sabo on guitar) so it had not been as long as the other cities but damn they were hungry. Vancouver was nuts. The circle-pit in Indians was huuuuuuge! Thank you so much and we'll see you in a few weeks as well on the PRIEST tour.

"We went to see OASIS on our night off in Vancouver. They were good. Beyond all the hype and bullshit they are a great rock band. That's my story. We've been hanging with the LIFE OF AGONY guys who kick ass every night.

"I've been talking to Dave [Mustaine, MEGADETH mainman] about next year. Things are in the works. I hope it pans out. I have to thank Dave as well for being so persistent in getting us on this tour. It's been a blast for us and I think for the fans as well. Our two bands together work very well. I fucking love metal. Seattle tonight."

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2005, 07:49:02 AM »

Members of ANTHRAX (Scott Ian, Charlie Benante, and Joey Belladonna), along with Burton C. Bell of FEAR FACTORY, members of BOBAFLEX, tour managers from FEAR FACTORY and ANTHRAX, and others, joined MEGADETH on stage Saturday night (September 10) in Seattle, WA to sing the classic "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying".

The MEGADETH-headlined Gigantour trek concluded its six-week run on Sunday (Sept. 11) in Portland, Oregon. MEGADETH will kick off a tour of South America and Puerto Rico on October 6 in Santiago.

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2005, 02:17:23 PM »

Wait a minute...did Scott say Snake Sabo was once in Anthrax?

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2005, 10:37:48 AM »

MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine has posted the following message in the "Forums" section of the band's official web site:

"Well, I am back at home, have decompressed from the plane, celebrated my official birthday (thank you all for the wishes, gifts, cards, and emails), and am getting over a helluva bout with tour sickness. I don't know if it is something I got at the last show, or I was just sick all along and finally putting the Big Redheaded Machine into park has allowed it all to catch up with me.

"Anyway, as you know, MEGADETH put out 'The System Has Failed' in September of 2004 and after touring the world, excluding the last four remaining dates south of the equator it has been a tremendous success. Sure there were hard times with putting a band together, taking the painful barbs thrown by people who didn't think (or want) me to go on, dealing with guests that I could not spend the time I had wanted to be with them or that they had wanted to be with me and the ensuing problems that followed that, and lastly the constant sickness that followed the tour.

"Add to that the legal matters, like leaving Sanctuary, trying to get the Greatest Hits together, trying to get the DVD together containing all the old videos and threats from people not to be included or wrangling with other licensers to get permission to use the footage, and you see how this was a feat for me or anyone to pull off.

"But I did, and it would never have happened without your love and support, and undying encouragement. I will never forget this last year. Seeing all of you around the globe was a delight for me, but even more so to see my band meeting you all and how loved you made them feel.

"So, this thing called Gigantour was born at the last minute, and because of my relationship with bands that went out with me and MEGADETH, I feel we had a great time. In retrospect, there were a few things I would do differently, but not much. It was a sad day when we lost THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN, and when the time came to say, 'So long' to DREAM THEATER and SYMPHONY X, and we were all disappointed with the DRY KILL LOGIC bus breaking down and not having them finish out the tour, but I believe they know how much I loved them and was grateful for all of their time we shared until we said goodbye.

"The last shows with ANTHRAX and the remaining Gigantour 2005 bands; FEAR FACTORY, NEVERMORE, LIFE OF AGONY, and BOBAFLEX came and went too fast. I have only the best things to say about these fine bands and wish them all tremendous amounts of success in the years to come. I also believe that if Gigantour continues on for as many years as I hoped that we will see them again. If not, I hope to grace a stage with them somewhere else in time again soon.

"Lastly, to you, the fans that came out to see the 'Blackmail The Universe' tour or Gigantour . . . what can I say other than you made my dream come true. I love you and am indebted to your faith in me, in the other bands that you may have been fans of and came out for, and importantly most just for supporting our scene. As I write this letter to you all we are already starting the necessary work to make Gigantour 2006 competitive with the inaugural run, and I hope to make even more friends out on the 'Killing Road' with people like yourselves, and the bands that stood by me. Check back in every once in a while to see when I announce the next Gigantour, the next year's talent, and when and where you can see us again.

"I usually close concerts with, 'You've been great, we've been MEGADETH, goodnight!' but that just doesn't seem right today. I think that you've been more than great and we've all been MEGADETH! Time will crawl for me until I can see your faces again and deliver the goods to my North American friends.

"I love you my Droogies and She Wolves!

"Come on, Gigantour 2!"

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: