Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 12:26:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228034 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Dust In The Wind and Just Another Sunday
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dust In The Wind and Just Another Sunday  (Read 8413 times)
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2004, 04:59:34 PM »

Its a cover of Todd Rundgren's song "Dust In the Wind".

-Jeff

FYI- Dust in the Wind is by Kansas, not Todd Rungren.

FYI - Two different songs

And Rundgren's Dust in the Wind came before Kansas's. It's on his 1972 double-lp "Something/Anything?," which is a sloppy masterpiece along the lines of what Axl is probably shooting for. Kansas's Dust in the Wind was released on their 1977 album "Point of Know Return."

As an aside, I think both these artists are useful in understanding Axl's musical frame of reference. Yes, NIN and the newer bands will have an effect, but I feel Axl is at heart a prog-rock thinker. That is where he and the rest of his former bandmates split. They were punk/metal, Axl was prog-rock. The two don't coexist very well (although they did somehow on Appetite, when Axl's melodramatic bent was reigned in by the band).

People talk about Axl going for an industrial sound, or alternative. I actually expected an updated, highly produced prog-rock sound, something like ELO, ELP, Queen, Kansas, Pink Floyd, later Zeppelin, Supertramp. Basically the bands Axl was hearing on rock radio in his teens. Obvisouly there will be new rock influences, including Radiohead, which is essentially a prog-rock band for the 21st century, but I do think these 70s kinds of bands and this type of music will be the template of anything Axl releases in the rest of his career. Just look at UYI.

I've seen enough.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2004, 05:07:37 PM »

I stand corrected. Nice to see some board members smarter than me regarding music history  ok

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2004, 05:08:56 PM »

People talk about Axl going for an industrial sound, or alternative. I actually expected an updated, highly produced prog-rock sound, something like ELO, ELP, Queen, Kansas, Pink Floyd, later Zeppelin, Supertramp. Basically the bands Axl was hearing on rock radio in his teens. Obvisouly there will be new rock influences, including Radiohead, which is essentially a prog-rock band for the 21st century, but I do think these 70s kinds of bands and this type of music will be the template of anything Axl releases in the rest of his career. Just look at UYI.

I think "Oh My God," not to mention "My World," fuels a lot of this speculations. ?After all, its no secret that he is in fact going in an electronic direction (the ex members have said it, and he says so himself in the '99 MTV interview). ?I think youre right, there will be a lot of ELO/Queen influences (for obvious reasons), but its just as likely will see NIN and White Zombie.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2004, 05:39:40 PM »

R&P: Is your new material more industrial? We hear that it is not very similar to that of your old band.

Axl: It is not industrial, the closest thing to that was perhaps Oh My God, but there are some songs that won't be on the album that were this way. There will be all kinds of styles, many influences as blues, mixed in the songs. But not so much inspiration of Aerosmith or AC/DC that was used on Appetite. Buckethead, his first influence and the reason why he grabbed a guitar for the first time was Angus Young of AC/DC. Several of the boys love to play AC/DC. It is only we will play other styles. When we tried writing songs in the old style of Guns N' Roses, they sounded too old, they didn't sound so alive. We could not make that. And I think that that also passed with the old Guns N' Roses. The songs composed by the boys for another album many years ago, everything sounded old. Then we tried to explore to maintain the band alive.

Axl interview Rock & Pop FM Argentina
Rock & Pop FM, January 22nd 2001

The ex-members can say what they want. They might not be the most reliable sources on what the new songs will sound like.

Just because they changed the sound a bit doesn't make the music techno, industrial or electronic.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2004, 07:01:47 PM »

The album is not gonna be industrial. People who don't like the new band usually like to say that, but except Oh My God and Silkworms (BOTH never played live after 2001), none of the new songs sound industrial to me. People should wait before they judge a music not even on the market yet.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2004, 07:18:13 PM »

Yeah, it's gonna be techno!

Grin

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2004, 09:17:43 PM »

I stand corrected!!
peace peace

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2005, 12:12:23 AM »

it was used as an intro to nov rain

who's it by? gnrinfo.tk says tod rudgen or someone wrote before 1972.. what band is it by really?

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
Steve McKagan
VIP

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2005, 03:03:27 AM »

Todd Rundgren isn't a band it's a musician.

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2005, 09:22:25 AM »

Kansas!!
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2005, 10:31:23 AM »

Kansas!!

no thats not the same dust in the wind

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2005, 10:00:57 AM »

3. why is there only 2:16 of it on any bootleg

I have a full version of that song (including the rest of the song after the truncated solo). Download it off Bearshare.

Fuck 'Em All.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: