Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:40:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227804 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Buckethead's Parts Remaining On CD / John5
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buckethead's Parts Remaining On CD / John5  (Read 6897 times)
william
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« on: October 03, 2005, 04:16:43 PM »

With Dizzy revealing he believes Buckets parts are going to remain on the forthcoming record, my feelings regarding this were initially ambivalent. I want them to remain for the obvious reason that w/out ? Buckets a huge talent IMO and i'm chomping at the bit to hear his contributions. The otherside of me said he bailed on the band while still under contract so erase his tracks, who needs him? I know this has been discussed at nauseam however i just wanted to let other board members know that over the weekend i picked up "John5" Songs for Sanity (his latest release) and after listening to the record, IMO w/out ? he can handle Bucket's parts. I've made the same statement on other boards as i've been a fan of "John5's" for sometime know. Impressive resume, Manson, Melissa Etheridge, David Lee Roth to name a few artists he's worked with. On the other hand i may be in the minority here, but i also believe Robin & Richard could handle the job as well (maybe adding a rhythm guitarist--Eric Dover IMO would be a nice fit). Specifically Richard (imo can play faster, cleaner than Robin--Not a diss to Robin at all. I think Robin's a huge talent and an asset to the band). Anyone else out there familiar w/John5's work?, thoughts on him as a possible replacement for Bucket?
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 04:28:08 PM »

John 5 has a full-time gig with Rob Zombie.  Zombies' new album is coming out soon and John 5 is touring in support of it since he played on the album. You're right though, he is more than capable of playing Buckets parts.

Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 04:52:19 PM »

How do the two of you know that he is able to play Buck?s parts? Have you heard CD?  Exactly, cause if Buck has gone all the way on the album, 5 really would not be able to do so. 5 never made a secret of the fact that he admires Buckethead a great deal for his second to none crazy chops. He wouldn?t do so if he was able to do it himself just as easily?

-PEACE-

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 05:11:28 PM »

How do the two of you know that he is able to play Buck?s parts? Have you heard CD?? Exactly, cause if Buck has gone all the way on the album, 5 really would not be able to do so. 5 never made a secret of the fact that he admires Buckethead a great deal for his second to none crazy chops. He wouldn?t do so if he was able to do it himself just as easily?

-PEACE-

Good Lord man!? Do I have to put a fuckin "imo" in front of anything I say?? I've been playing guitar 20 yrs, and have both Big B and John 5 albums, and considering that i'm sure that Big B did not go "all the way" on CD, considering he was splitting lead duties with 2 other players.? "IMO" John 5 can handle Buckets parts.? But who cares, John 5 has a good gig now and won't be playing with GNR anyway.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 05:15:30 PM by Thorazine Shuffle » Logged

william
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 05:17:47 PM »

How do the two of you know that he is able to play Buck?s parts? Have you heard CD?? Exactly, cause if Buck has gone all the way on the album, 5 really would not be able to do so. 5 never made a secret of the fact that he admires Buckethead a great deal for his second to none crazy chops. He wouldn?t do so if he was able to do it himself just as easily?

-PEACE-

Obviously speaking for myself, have not heard the record (neither have you). We have heard Bucket's solo in "IRS", the parts he played on the 2002 tour. Not impossible imo from what weve heard thus far that a talented guitarist well versed in many styles could pull it off. IMO just because someone says he/she admires someone elses work doesnt necessarily mean he/she is incapable of learning someone elses work and doing it justice (wouldnt be a cakewalk to learn/play Bucket's parts, but a very talented guitarist such as John5 or, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Steve Stevens to name a few i believe could do it). For example to make my point, Bruce Lee said he admired Chuck Norris's talent (speaking about karate), but by saying this doesnt mean Bruce Lee (RIP) isnt on par if not better. Probably would have opened a can of whoop ass on him. I recall hearing not so long ago, John5 was asked if would be intersted in playing w/Gun's and his repost was very positive. Who knows for sure? There may be someone on the hook for the gig as i type this. All of the specualation and rumors will be put to rest i believe sooner rather than later. ?
Slipdisc
VIP

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 05:49:54 PM »

Good Lord man!

Thank you, but just call me Slipdisc??

Do I have to put a fuckin "imo" in front of anything I say?? I've been playing guitar 20 yrs, and have both Big B and John 5 albums, and considering that i'm sure that Big B did not go "all the way" on CD, considering he was splitting lead duties with 2 other players.? "IMO" John 5 can handle Buckets parts.? But who cares, John 5 has a good gig now and won't be playing with GNR anyway.

Take it easy no reason to go all mental? (Wink) just because somebody doubts the things you seem to be very sure about. The fact that the lead duties were split in GNR indicates for me that there is a very big possibility that Buck has gone all out on the album. The easier stuff could be left over to the lesser giants in the lineup. I simply doubt that John could keep up if such is the case?it's because I ve seen what he can do when he goes all out.

Obviously speaking for myself, have not heard the record (neither have you). We have heard Bucket's solo in "IRS", the parts he played on the 2002 tour. Not impossible imo from what weve heard thus far that a talented guitarist well versed in many styles could pull it off. IMO just because someone says he/she admires someone elses work doesnt necessarily mean he/she is incapable of learning someone elses work and doing it justice (wouldnt be a cakewalk to learn/play Bucket's parts, but a very talented guitarist such as John5 or, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Steve Stevens to name a few i believe could do it). For example to make my point, Bruce Lee said he admired Chuck Norris's talent (speaking about karate), but by saying this doesnt mean Bruce Lee (RIP) isnt on par if not better. Probably would have opened a can of whoop ass on him. I recall hearing not so long ago, John5 was asked if would be intersted in playing w/Gun's and his repost was very positive. Who knows for sure? There may be someone on the hook for the gig as i type this. All of the specualation and rumors will be put to rest i believe sooner rather than later.

Fair enough, good points. Although I still think that the fact that in the 2002 tour primarily classics (forcing Buck to hold back on the crazyness) were played and the absence of ChinDem are two big reasons for me not to be to sure about 5?s ability to take over? He could to some extend, that's for sure. Because his playing seems very influenced by Buck, but for how far I really have my doubts...

-PEACE-
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 05:56:56 PM by Slipdisc » Logged

ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 07:02:31 PM »

Does anyone listen to any european Metal?
There are thousands of guitarists who sound like Buckethead in the shredding category. Anyone can do the sweep picking he does if they practiced it enough.

I think Buckethead was like a 5 trick pony myself. A lot of his solos were VERRRRY similar... and he seemed to just use the same tricks in most solos. He had the really fast top string to bottom string sweep... the country style.... the weird alien sounds... the funk style...

I think he's an AWESOME guitarist... but can definitely be replaced...

I think the best thing to do would be cut his parts from Chinese Democracy so that he doesnt have to be replaced... No one expect up Board people will even know of his former solos on two or three songs.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 07:12:19 PM »

Does anyone listen to any european Metal?
There are thousands of guitarists who sound like Buckethead in the shredding category. Anyone can do the sweep picking he does if they practiced it enough.

I think Buckethead was like a 5 trick pony myself. A lot of his solos were VERRRRY similar... and he seemed to just use the same tricks in most solos. He had the really fast top string to bottom string sweep... the country style.... the weird alien sounds... the funk style...

I think the best thing to do would be cut his parts from Chinese Democracy so that he doesnt have to be replaced... No one expect up Board people will even know of his former solos on two or three songs.

Before you get hammered with Buckethead lovers I want to say that I agree with everything you said in your post.   ok beer

MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 07:12:44 PM »

i don't get the john 5 fixation... i really don't, as the guy above me said... there's lots of guitar players that can play like BH. BH is good but i guess most of u don't realize that a good guitar player, specially like BH, is not hard to find, specially if the guitar slot is for a band as big as Guns N Roses.

Chinese Democracy!
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 07:13:45 PM »

Nuno Bettencourt.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 07:16:24 PM »

My feelings exactly.

I too think BH is great, but I think there's a bit of a misconception about his "replaceablity". ?There are
numerous guitarists who could replicate his parts if they are indeed kept. ?

Maybe Slipdisc could list a few, he seems to be well versed on the virtuoso type. ?Let's leave the obvious out of the speculation though, IE no Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen etc, guys with current gigs like John5 and most importantly, No Nuno's need apply..

Slip?

EDIT:  This is looking like a very dead horse..

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=22583.0
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 07:23:13 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 07:24:14 PM »

Guitar is one of the most popular, if not the most popular instrument.  Kinda like women, there are always more guitarists out there.  And more creative as well.

Wicked Demon
Rocker

my post was Here Yesterday...

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 11:19:51 PM »

Wow, I'd love it if Johnny 5 was in GNR. I miss that funny robot. I miss Steve Guttenberg, too.
william
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 09:54:32 AM »

i don't get the john 5 fixation... i really don't, as the guy above me said... there's lots of guitar players that can play like BH. BH is good but i guess most of u don't realize that a good guitar player, specially like BH, is not hard to find, specially if the guitar slot is for a band as big as Guns N Roses.
I would'nt think fixation/obsession would be a fair word to characterize John5 having the chops to replace Bucket. See my previous posts in the subject thread. There are a plethora of qualified guitarists out there w/the chops. Dave who without patronizing the man, happen to enjoy his posts very much and agree with a strong majority of what he has to say. They are quite insightful. We can have differances in opinions, no need to bash. Anyway, mentioned Nuno, IMO capable i just dont think he would be a good "fit". Axl & Nuno are both huge fans of "Queen", he's got the chops and imo an underatted singer (check out anything post "Extreme": "Population1", "Mourning Windows". I could be wrong i just get the vibe he and Axl couldnt find a way to work together or how he would get along w/the rest of the band.  John5 i believe would be a good fit (there are others that would be a good fit as well, not only 5) ,which i believe is very important in addition to ability, maybe even in some way paramount. Would he if approached for the gig try to find a way to make it happen and renig on his touring committment w/Zombie? For GNR probably (I would), who knows for sure where his head is at, his contractual obligations, what he really would like to pursue. Digressing, i believe the finish line is in sight and hope to hear something official by years end. Whatever happens regarding the subject, I strongly believe Axl will deliver the goods and we will get a great flipping record.   
william
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 09:57:47 AM »

Wow, I'd love it if Johnny 5 was in GNR. I miss that funny robot. I miss Steve Guttenberg, too.

Had a cocktail w/Steve about 1-month ago at Freeport, NY's "Nautical Mile". Had a nice disposition. Been calling my fiances girlfriend since.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 11:40:13 AM »

Nuno Buttencourt is also busy recording an album with Perry Farrell.  So he is out of the question as well.   beer

william
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »

Nuno Buttencourt is also busy recording an album with Perry Farrell.? So he is out of the question as well.? ?beer
I didnt know that. Whatever they come up with should be very interesting.
Slipdisc
VIP

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 01:02:19 PM »

think Buckethead was like a 5 trick pony myself. A lot of his solos were VERRRRY similar... and he seemed to just use the same tricks in most solos. He had the really fast top string to bottom string sweep... the country style.... the weird alien sounds... the funk style...

The problem with that qualification is that it seems to only refer to the few things he did with gnr and even then it?s far from accurate. People who really know Buckethead, know that based on his solowork he is one the most crazy and diverse guitarists of our time, in chops, appearance and his music in general? He?s anything but a 5-trick pony. Everybody can be replaced, yes. Buckethead however may be one of the hardest to replace of ?m all. Some people place Buckethead in a context of metal and the rest of the shredders. Apart from it being very wrong, it also shows that they really can?t be familiar with the work Buckethead is most famous for; the calm, rich, ambient melodic music of Colma and Electric Tears. I would never see Nuno as a suitable replacement, for a great number of reasons on all aspects of the game.

For me the most suitable replacement for Buck was and always will be Ron Thal. Apart from the things that happened between him and GNR in the past (which I?m leaving out of the equation now), he would have been perfect. He?s a great songwriter, phenomenal guitarist (very fusion-oriented, like Buck) and a fantastic producer. I really believe that Axl needs somebody who is in the band and next to that perfectly able to take on some of the studiowork. I think that it would mean a lot to Axl if he had somebody he trusts as much as a bandmember, behind the buttons in the studio. Thal is the only real replacement for me (both in music and in chops). Just looking at technique: Mattias IA Eklundh, Paul Gilbert, there are a few names? (not taking into account whether they have other commitments)

-PEACE-

Some more Ron:

http://www.bumblefoot.com/artist/multimedia/Bumblefoot_Live_in_Rotterdam_2002.rm
http://www.bumblefoot.com/video/Bumblefoot_-_Live_In_Paris_-_30_NOV_2002_-_Don_Pardo_Pimpwagon.rm
http://www.bumblefoot.com/video/Bumblefoot_-_Live_In_Paris_-_30_NOV_2002_-_Guitars_SUCK.rm
http://www.bumblefoot.com/video/Bumblefoot_-_Live_In_Holland_-_07_SEPT_2002_-_Run_To_the_Hills.rm

« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 02:52:30 PM by Slipdisc » Logged

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 08:17:12 PM »

Slip -

Besides Ron and others mentioned above, is there anyone else of note within the virtuoso type guitar community you think would "fit' into GNR both personally and stylistically?

Beyond that, do you think that particular type of player can really ever be satisfied within the restraints of a structured group environment, let alone sharing duties with 2 other players?

Thoughts?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2005, 01:44:16 PM »

I find Ron's guitar a tad slack.  Tongue

Providing BH is not coming back, he should be replaced by someone well contrasts with Robin.
And I prefer a great talent out of the unknown.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: