Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:10:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227824 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Art thread
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Art thread  (Read 78133 times)
Mauve_All
Rocker

« Reply #300 on: April 22, 2007, 05:55:27 AM »

I haven't seen this picture before. I really like it. In my head it talks about liberation from loneliness..

That's an interesting take on it. How did you get there?

Well, it was an overall feeling but since you're asking it may be a good opprtunity to analyse this feeling a bit.

So, for one thing, she is sitting sad in a room that seems to have been abandoned a long time ago. It's almost empty of furniture, moss seems to be growing on the walls and the wind is bringing in some autumn leaves. What puzzles me a bit is the carpet. It looks like a grass bed removed from a garden. I can't imagine what the painter was thinking.

So, she's sitting in this empty, ugly room and it's obvious to me she wants to get out. Her figure is the only coloured thing in the picture, painted in bright colours as well. As if saying, "I don't belong here". But she's probably not the decisive type who'll break what bothers her in a storm of rage. Her face is sad but her hands are patiently pulling the thread in a skein, and surprise!

She manages to liberate two small birds from the inside of a black figure standing near her, but one she refuses to establish eye contact with. This figure could be the dark side of herself, or the personification of her troubles that she's stoically dismantling.

I think that the fact that the birds are coloured red and white but their size being yet small, shows that she's going to be free soon, it's not the time yet, it takes a lot of effort but she's working on it.

I'm a drinker with writing problems
http://www.myspace.com/mauve_all
MCT
« Reply #301 on: April 23, 2007, 11:48:10 PM »

To me it's representative of sex, of domestic entrapment and the duality of human existence in terms of our societal structures and basic passions and the fine and sometimes blurred lines between them.

First off, she is surrounded by the artificial. It's the fabricated world of man. And for this woman, with her stately posture, elegant garments and lavish home, it's obvious that she is required to conform to certain societal standards in order to possess and to maintain her lifestyle and all the bells and whistles that go along with it. However, due to her forlorn facial expression, it's blatantly evident that she's unhappy with her station, or, at the very least, with the pageantry involved. But she's trapped, a trophy to her husband I'm sure. So she sits back, defeated, her life taking her where it will, all written in the stars it seems. Yet she feels. And this grows over time, burns hotter, cuts deeper. The line between raw emotion and cold control becomes blurred. The room, a caricature of her life, is gradually being taken over by nature itself, which is an allegory to those basal emotions starting to seep in. But this won't create a breaking point, no. She is destined instead to continue on the path imposed upon her. For the thread she holds is a metaphor for her life, and one that draws on the mythological Fates (thread of life, destiny and all that) to show us her sad future. She is not pulling the string (pun intended), rather, she is the string. And it propels her forward into a narrow and dark alley, into the imposing shadow of the figure of a male, presumably her husband. You'll notice that the figure, while having a barely perceptible face, still comes off as angry. And everything from the face to the body posturing to her desensitized aura hints at tyranny. It's as if he's scolding her right there and she's indifferent, lost in her own world instead, coping. Which is basically what I think this is, an artistic articulation of a coping mechanism. A device we all employ to help us get through the lives we are handed.

Like the woman, we all get pushed in directions we would rather not take and to places we would rather not be. And in those times we all wish we were moving in the opposite direction, free as birds, flying our coops and riding the wild winds to the ends of the Earth, to our freedom.
Mauve_All
Rocker

« Reply #302 on: April 27, 2007, 07:43:20 AM »

To me it's representative of sex, of domestic entrapment and the duality of human existence in terms of our societal structures and basic passions and the fine and sometimes blurred lines between them.

First off, she is surrounded by the artificial. It's the fabricated world of man. And for this woman, with her stately posture, elegant garments and lavish home, it's obvious that she is required to conform to certain societal standards in order to possess and to maintain her lifestyle and all the bells and whistles that go along with it. However, due to her forlorn facial expression, it's blatantly evident that she's unhappy with her station, or, at the very least, with the pageantry involved. But she's trapped, a trophy to her husband I'm sure. So she sits back, defeated, her life taking her where it will, all written in the stars it seems. Yet she feels. And this grows over time, burns hotter, cuts deeper. The line between raw emotion and cold control becomes blurred. The room, a caricature of her life, is gradually being taken over by nature itself, which is an allegory to those basal emotions starting to seep in. But this won't create a breaking point, no. She is destined instead to continue on the path imposed upon her. For the thread she holds is a metaphor for her life, and one that draws on the mythological Fates (thread of life, destiny and all that) to show us her sad future. She is not pulling the string (pun intended), rather, she is the string. And it propels her forward into a narrow and dark alley, into the imposing shadow of the figure of a male, presumably her husband. You'll notice that the figure, while having a barely perceptible face, still comes off as angry. And everything from the face to the body posturing to her desensitized aura hints at tyranny. It's as if he's scolding her right there and she's indifferent, lost in her own world instead, coping. Which is basically what I think this is, an artistic articulation of a coping mechanism. A device we all employ to help us get through the lives we are handed.

Like the woman, we all get pushed in directions we would rather not take and to places we would rather not be. And in those times we all wish we were moving in the opposite direction, free as birds, flying our coops and riding the wild winds to the ends of the Earth, to our freedom.

Your approach was very intresting, one i don't wholly agree with but one I can't ignore either, especially that part with the string. There could be a connection with the Moirae, but a rather distant one, as the Fates represented the three stages of life(birth, evolvement, death) and their myth doesn't touch issues of liberation.

No matter what, I enjoyed your analysis, thanks!

I'm a drinker with writing problems
http://www.myspace.com/mauve_all
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2007, 06:21:14 PM »

Missing You - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37713602/?qo=18&q=by%3Aevol1314&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps

Elrothiel
« Reply #304 on: April 30, 2007, 04:57:50 AM »

Hey!! I love that piece, its in my Prints Wishlist... Grin Wish I could afford to buy a massive canvas of it... drool Brilliance!!!
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #305 on: April 30, 2007, 08:53:31 AM »

Nice picture Journey.

I love the different shades of blue Smiley

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
MCT
« Reply #306 on: May 10, 2007, 04:29:48 PM »

...I enjoyed your analysis, thanks!

No problem. Maybe we can do it again sometime. Smiley

"Reflections In Window"

--Heidi Oberheide--
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #307 on: May 20, 2007, 08:39:44 PM »

Here is something i own and it is very very dear to my heart :

Nothing to say
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #308 on: May 21, 2007, 03:46:30 AM »

This is art....

If the world would end today... Wink
Elrothiel
« Reply #309 on: May 21, 2007, 03:17:38 PM »

*blushing madly*

Thank you... Kiss
greendog
« Reply #310 on: May 21, 2007, 03:55:25 PM »

A few of my pieces that I really like. Constructive Critisism welcome... look past the seemingly 'immature' scribbles. Its art in my eyes.

Forgotten.Lost.Reason

Ex-pa-load-eo

Art is expression. Be a human. Be an artist.

Scarborough
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #311 on: May 22, 2007, 12:04:40 AM »

*blushing madly*

Thank you... Kiss

Kiss   Lovely SG

If the world would end today... Wink
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #312 on: June 09, 2007, 11:37:56 PM »

Cool artwork, skelly and greendog. 'Forgotten.Lost.Reason' is awesome.

salvador dali - 'person at the window'

steve hanks - 'leaving in the rain'

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #313 on: July 02, 2007, 03:51:03 AM »

'you are here' - artist - http://www.artofjaymee.com/index.html

WhiteRose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #314 on: July 28, 2007, 10:05:45 PM »

I realize that music videos don't usually find their way into this thread, but the powerful imagery in this one has always impressed me.

Almost every frame from this video could create a rather striking, beautiful, or stunning photographic print.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cGvzApDZKI
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #315 on: August 01, 2007, 01:26:09 PM »

I realize that music videos don't usually find their way into this thread, but the powerful imagery in this one has always impressed me.

Almost every frame from this video could create a rather striking, beautiful, or stunning photographic print.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cGvzApDZKI

It's an amazing video. Thank you for posting it.

Herbert List - 'Goldfish in Glass'

the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #316 on: August 01, 2007, 01:38:27 PM »

For some reason that seems really mundane to me, and that's what appeals to me in some fashion, Journey.

Must be the black and white..

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #317 on: August 01, 2007, 02:53:52 PM »

For some reason that seems really mundane to me, and that's what appeals to me in some fashion, Journey.

Must be the black and white..

It is simplistic physically, but I think it could also be an interpretation piece. It's ironic that the fish is placed near a large body of water, yet its confined to a small bowl. That could be a reflection of how people live their lives. The earth is huge, but we're confined to our own small space with our own problems, dreams, etc.  Or something like that. ha
WhiteRose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #318 on: August 01, 2007, 07:23:46 PM »

[quote author

It's an amazing video. Thank you for posting it.

Herbert List - 'Goldfish in Glass'

Journey, you're very welcome and I'm glad (honored really) that you took the time to watch it.

As for the 'Goldfish in Glass' image, I find it very thought provoking. I love images like that.

For me, I see it as an almost humorous existential portrait. A portrait that could represent our lives, our struggle to find happiness & contentment within our lives, and a glimpse of what awaits us on the other side.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:34:04 PM by WhiteRose » Logged
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #319 on: August 01, 2007, 07:33:52 PM »

I like this :

Nothing to say
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: