Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 01:05:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228016 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Rank a band's entire discography (studio albums, live optional if you want)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank a band's entire discography (studio albums, live optional if you want)  (Read 35311 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2005, 01:57:15 PM »

How can an album have a few tracks that misfire, or 7/12 fantastic songs, and be perfect?

Grow up man Cheesy

This isn't supposed to be legally compliant - its a message board and we're rating albums we love. Dirt is for me one of the finest albums ever released - because a couple of tracks aren't as good as 'Would?' i should mark the whole thing down?

On any album there will be a song better han everything else - can still mean the whole thing is fine - after all AFD, there are three songs on their very much better than the rest - but we don't mark the album down because of it

Even Dark side of the moon has tracks u much prefer to others - does that only get a 9/10?

If the word 'misfire' is giving u nightmares then how about the word - 'not as good as....but still awesome', if i realised every word was going to analysed i'd have got a team of linguists in hihi

10/10 is impossible so i interpret 10/10 as being ''as close to perfection as a load of junkies in a studio drunk and violent can get without divine help'' - how many albums have 7 tracks that just blow ur mind and 5 others than are still great?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 02:05:33 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2005, 02:00:53 PM »

Alice in Chains

Facelift - 9/10 - wonderous stuff, funky, catchy and some damn fine guitar work - we die young and man in the box, top notch. Kept from a ten by comparison with Dirt

Dirt - 10/10 - wow, there are a few tracks on here that misfire - but there are atleast 7 tracks of the 12 that are something special, has more than enough momentum to carry it through

Jar of flies/Sap - 4/10 - what the hell is this? Rubbish! A handful of okay songs doesn't defend the rest

Alice in chains - 6/10 - the band had lost just about everything that made them good, this is so grungy to lose even the resemblance of enjoyment - compared with the powerhouse riffs of Dirt, it comes off very badly

Totally disagree with the rating of Jar of Flies, Sap, and the self-titled album.

And i give a damn? confused

Its music, everyone has their own view.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 02:10:23 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2005, 02:17:12 PM »

10/10 is impossible so i interpret 10/10 as being ''as close to perfection as a load of junkies in a studio drunk and violent can get without divine help'' - how many albums have 7 tracks that just blow ur mind and 5 others than are still great?

Plenty... and you're right, it is the word 'misfires' that gave me nightmares.  I don't consider a great song to be a misfire just because it is surrounded by "blow your mind"ers.

And don't bunch up your panties too much, I did follow with this:
I guess this is all just for fun, I just felt like venting about music reviews.

There's just something about giving a "score" on an album that doesn't sit well.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2005, 02:34:39 PM »

Izzy dude i normally agree with you but the 'misfire' term gives the idea the song ain't that good.....so i'm guessing saying 5 songs misfire and rating an album 10/10 seemed damn strange....
RichardNixon
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2005, 02:44:24 PM »

Alice in Chains

Facelift - 9/10 - wonderous stuff, funky, catchy and some damn fine guitar work - we die young and man in the box, top notch. Kept from a ten by comparison with Dirt

Dirt - 10/10 - wow, there are a few tracks on here that misfire - but there are atleast 7 tracks of the 12 that are something special, has more than enough momentum to carry it through

Jar of flies/Sap - 4/10 - what the hell is this? Rubbish! A handful of okay songs doesn't defend the rest

Alice in chains - 6/10 - the band had lost just about everything that made them good, this is so grungy to lose even the resemblance of enjoyment - compared with the powerhouse riffs of Dirt, it comes off very badly

Totally disagree with the rating of Jar of Flies, Sap, and the self-titled album.

And i give a damn? confused

Its music, everyone has their own view.

Yes, I know. I wasn't correcting you, as you are entitled to your own opinion. I was just saying I disagree with your rating and gave my own rating of those albums. Just like someone can disagree with my rating of Lennon's albums and rate them the way they want to.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2005, 04:48:49 PM »

Izzy's being fuckin' cool again, dont take it to heart you bitch Angry

i agree with you on Angel Dust , but Album of The Year and King For a Day are classics..........

BUT YOU DONT GIVE A DAMN DO YA

there's my opinion, stick it up your arse ya hipocrit!!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2005, 04:54:55 PM »

I have came to one conclusion from all my time on this board.

We will argue and get pissed off over any fucking thing, its great and hilarious!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2005, 05:02:58 PM »

I have came to one conclusion from all my time on this board.

We will argue and get pissed off over any fucking thing, its great and hilarious!

Yeah!  It's great to see passion in people.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2005, 12:38:35 AM »

Too Fast for love - A great debut that has a lot of pop influences, with songs like ?On with the Show? and ?Live Wire? being stand out tracks. 10/10

Shout at the Devil - One of the greatest heavy metal groove albums ever released. This also being the album that brought the crue to the main stream. Stand out tracks include ?Shout at the devil,? ?Too Young to Fall in Love,? and Looks that Kill.? 10/10

Theatre of Pain - Although this album has some of the worst production ever, it also has some of Motley?s greatest lyrics and music ever written. Stand out tracks include ?Fight for your Rights,? Keep your eye on the Money,? and the classic ?Home sweet Home.? 7/10

Girls, Girls, Girls, - A record that kicks you right in the ass from the beginning, with lyrics and music ranging from street toughness to gutter madness with a side of sweetness mixed in. Stand out tracks include ?Girls, Girls, Girls,? ?you?re all I need,? Wild Side,? and sumthin? for nothin.? 9/10

Dr. Feelgood - Brilliant, the production on this album is flawless. The boys are at their musical zenith with this master piece. Stand out tracks include ?Dr. Feelgood,? ?Kickstart my Heart,? ?Without You,? ?Don?t go away mad ,just go away.? 10/10   

Generation Swine - An album that took years to grow on me, now I love it. This is Motley doing their best NIN industrial impersonation and it works.  Stand out tracks include ?Glitter,? ?Afraid,? ?A rat like Me,? and ?Rocket ship.? 10/10

New Tattoo - Just not the same without Tommy behind the drum kit. Lots of weak tracks and lyrics. This is the sound of a band falling apart behind the scenes. 4/10

?94 - Although it doesn?t have Vince, this album has great music and lyrics. Nikki and Tommy?s music and lyrical growth on this record is fabulous. Stand out tracks include, ?Till death do us part,? Hooligan?s Holiday,? and ?Misunderstood.? 8/10

Decade of Decadence - My favorite of the greatest hits packages. 10/10

Greatest Hits - Released in ?98 And to me, feels kind of unbalanced - 7/10

Red, white and Crue - A great anthology that every new fan should pick up. 10/10

Millennium Collection - stay far away from this exploitation of a great band. 3/10
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 05:53:27 PM by Gunner80? » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Buddy J.B.
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2005, 12:53:10 AM »

My opinion on Metallica's studio albums...

Kill em' all-7/10
Jame's voice is irritating on this album, sounds like a whiny teenager but Kirk's soloing along with James's riffs are timeless.

Ride the Lightning-8/10
Again with James's voice but thumbs up for everything else.

Master of Puppets-10/10
The Ultimate timeless masterpiece!

...And Justice For All-6/10
ehh Undecided. Dyers Eve takes down the house but other than that , just a filler album. This should be remade with better basslines. Not  bad as the next one...

The Black Album-5/10
Well rehearsed but the band was trying hard to be something they're not. Holier than Thou kicks ass. I thank this album for introducing me to the other stuff, it was my first Metallica album.

Load-6/10
This one would have a better rating if it weren't for their disgusting album cover and using a band name that defines a music genre they're not. Kirk's bluesy leads are awesome, you can hear the band's taste in blues music like with James's George Therogood like rasp to his vocals. There are some filler tracks but not a bad album for a non-metal band.

Reload-3/10
don't make me laugh.

St.Anger-0/10
The reciet in the bag is more useful than joy coming to your ears.
RichardNixon
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2005, 01:06:00 AM »

Too Fast for love - A great debut that has a lot of pop influences, with songs like ?On with the Show? and ?Live Wire? being stand out tracks. 10/10

Shout at the Devil - One of the greatest heavy metal groove albums ever released. This also being the album that brought the crue to the main stream. Stand out tracks include ?Shout at the devil,? ?Too Young to Fall in Love,? and Looks that Kill.? 10/10

Theatre of Pain - Although this album has some of the worst production ever, it also has some of Motley?s greatest lyrics and music ever written. Stand out tracks include ?Fight for your Rights,? Keep your eye on the Money,? and the classic ?Home sweet Home.? 7/10

Girls, Girls, Girls, - A record that kicks you right in the ass from the beginning, with lyrics and music ranging from street toughness to gutter madness with a side of sweetness mixed in. Stand out tracks include ?Girls, Girls, Girls,? ?you?re all I need,? Wide Side,? and sumthin? for nothin.? 9/10

Dr. Feelgood - Brilliant, the production on this album is flawless. The boys are at their musical zenith with this master piece. Stand out tracks include ?Dr. Feelgood,? ?Kickstart my Heart,? ?Without You,? ?Don?t go away mad ,just go away.? 10/10   

Generation Swine - An album that took years to grow on me, now I love it. This is Motley doing their best NIN industrial impersonation and it works.? Stand out tracks include ?Glitter,? ?Afraid,? ?A rat like Me,? and ?Rocket ship.? 10/10

New Tattoo - Just not the same without Tommy behind the drum kit. Lots of weak tracks and lyrics. This is the sound of a band falling apart behind the scenes. 4/10

I don?t do greatest hits packages.

What about "Motley Crue" '94? Also, what do you think of Vinnies solo albums?
Buddy J.B.
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2005, 01:18:26 AM »

Guns n' Roses of course Wink.

Appetite for destruction-10/10
A very timeless album. They turned a crappy decade into an awesome one. They made all the other bands look like pussies. The Guns ruled the 80's.

Lies EP-7/10
I'm not crazy about the live covers(I usually don't like any cover by bands) but great tracks like Patience and I used to love her

Use your Illusion I-8/10
There are decent tracks,but I don't like Coma.

Use your Illusion II-9/10
I like this one better, estranged is awesome. I alos love Get in the ring.

The Speghetti incident-5/10
I usually don't like any cover by bands but I love Since I don't have you

Chinese Democracy-10/10
With my high hopes for this one to kick ass after such a long time waiting for it to be released, it deserves a good rating. Axl's perfectionism proves he is a talented musician. ok

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2005, 05:54:35 AM »

Guns n' Roses of course Wink.

Appetite for destruction-10/10
A very timeless album. They turned a crappy decade into an awesome one. They made all the other bands look like pussies. The Guns ruled the 80's.

Lies EP-7/10
I'm not crazy about the live covers(I usually don't like any cover by bands) but great tracks like Patience and I used to love her

Use your Illusion I-8/10
There are decent tracks,but I don't like Coma.

Use your Illusion II-9/10
I like this one better, estranged is awesome. I alos love Get in the ring.

The Speghetti incident-5/10
I usually don't like any cover by bands but I love Since I don't have you

Chinese Democracy-10/10
With my high hopes for this one to kick ass after such a long time waiting for it to be released, it deserves a good rating. Axl's perfectionism proves he is a talented musician. ok

It's great to know that CD is as good or better than anything by GN'R. Maybe we should wait until Axl releases his album, don't you think?? Huh

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Steve McKagan
VIP

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2005, 06:27:23 AM »

Lou Reed:

Lou Reed (1972) 7/10
Transformer (1972) 10/10
Berlin (1973) 10/10
Rock And Roll Animal (live, 1974) 7/10
Sally Can't Dance (1974) 6/10
Lou Reed Live (1975) 5/10
Metal Machine Music (1975) 2/10
Coney Island Baby (1975) 8/10
Rock And Roll Heart (1976) 7/10
Street Hassle (1977) 9/10
Live- Take No Prisoners (1978) 5/10
The Bells (1979) 8/10
Growing Up In Public (1980) 6/10
The Blue Mask (1982) 7/10
Legendary Hearts (1983) 7/10
Live In Italy (1984) 5/10
New Sensations (1984) 7/10
Mistrial (1986) 5/10
New York (1989) 8/10
Songs For Drella (1990) 7/10
Magic And Loss (1992) 8/10
Set The Twilight Reeling (1996) 7/10
Perfect Night: Live In London (1998) 5/10
Ecstasy (2000) 6/10
American Poet (Live 1972) (2001) 7/10
The Raven (2003) 7/10
Animal Serenade (Live) (2004) 5/10

KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2005, 06:54:42 AM »

Faith no more

Introduce yourself - 6/10 - they are missing something...

The real thing - 8.5/10 - they've found it! Mike Patton's sublime vocals on top of some damn fine music - a few tracks that don't work as well, though

Angel Dust - 9/10 - all over the place, genius to insanity in less than an hour, but there is a deep satisfaction to be gained from it, takes years of listening to to appreciate fully - but there is greatness here - and Mike Pattons vocals on Easy are just fantastic

King for a day - fool for a lifetime - 5/10 - a mess, lacks the keyboards and 'prog' elements of Angel Dust and the pop leanings of The Real thing

Album of the year - 4/10 - never really grabs u, this is the sound of a band on its last legs

I am going to give Angel Dust a 10
King For A Day an 8
Album of the Year a 7
and We Care A Lot (album you left off) a 7

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
RichardNixon
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2005, 09:21:14 AM »

Stone Temple Pilots:

Core-Derivative of the Seattle songbook. Still a great collection of songs 8/10.
Purple-More refined, the band push the envelope, great collection of songs 9/10.
Tiny Music- A hybrid of Bowie meets 60 psychedelic pop. Top 10 of 90s. 10/10.
No.4- Grittier, more rough-around-the edges. Great disc- 9/10
SLDD- VERY underrated. Catchiest collection of songs, with a great pop-sensibility. 10/10
12 Bar Blues- Weiland's druggie, Bowie-esque album. Love it. 10/10
Talk Show- Good, but not great 90s alt.pop 7/10
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2005, 11:09:59 AM »

Oasis

Dont Believe The Truth
a return to form, a great album, not one weak song, this album is raw, the songs are real,,, what is played is what you hear, the production is great, a glorious surprise, Every song on this album is good, it works in the same way revolver and rubber soul work. 7.8/10

I havent listened to every album, but i am aware of a fair amount of there material from all there albums. This is all oppinion of course, but i think that "dont beleive the truth" is there weakest album, all slow songs, no guitars at forefront, just..uninspiring. Thats what i think anyway lol, im sure many enjoy this album.

html sucks
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2005, 01:27:44 PM »

My 2 hours review of queen discography was lost after I clicked post because I deleted all the cach? and Im pretty mad right now to think again all that I wrote, so if anyone do it will be fine. Man that took more than 2 hours  rant

No man can be my equal
RichardNixon
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2005, 01:41:20 PM »

Nine Inch Nails:

Pretty Hate Machine- Classic. The sound is a bit flat, but that should be cleared up with the upcomming remastered version. 9/10

The Downward Spiral- One of the most angry, intense albums of all-time. 10/10

The Fragile- Very underrated, epic, masterpiece. 10/10

With Teeth- One or two throwaways, but a great album none-the-less. 9/10

GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2005, 02:06:08 PM »

Stone Temple Pilots:

Core-Derivative of the Seattle songbook. Still a great collection of songs 8/10.
Purple-More refined, the band push the envelope, great collection of songs 9/10.
Tiny Music- A hybrid of Bowie meets 60 psychedelic pop. Top 10 of 90s. 10/10.
No.4- Grittier, more rough-around-the edges. Great disc- 9/10
SLDD- VERY underrated. Catchiest collection of songs, with a great pop-sensibility. 10/10
12 Bar Blues- Weiland's druggie, Bowie-esque album. Love it. 10/10
Talk Show- Good, but not great 90s alt.pop 7/10

dude u took the words right out of my mouth..... i wanted to rate STP now i can't cuz i'd look like a copycat haha, boy do i love STP....... VR is good but STP were really special. can't wait for Army of Anyone!!!?

anyway i guess i'd rate my other favorite band, Nine Inch Nails:

Pretty Hate Machine(8/10)- Evil synth pop, catchy, the lyrics are a little childish in parts but i'll give Trent a break since it was his first album... alot of standouts including Head Like A Hole, Terrible Lie, Sin, and Something I Can Never Have, one of my favorite NIN songs.

Broken(9/10): Not technically an album but deserves mentioning, NIN does METAL and sounds great,? cool lyrics, and Trent especially does a great job on the vocals, he sounds amazing...favorite songs are Last, Wish, and Happiness in Slavery.

The Downward Spiral(10/10): Easily one of the best albums ever, a concept album that takes time to grow on you, but once it clicks, quite stunning. Probably Trent's finest album lyrically. Not much i can say that has already been said, just sounds amazing, my favorites are Mr. Self Destruct, Piggy, March of Pigs, Ruiner, The Becoming, Reptile, and of course the heart wrenching Hurt.

The Fragile(10/10): There are many arguments among NIN fans about this album i hope i don't take flak for rating it so high but if i rated it lower i'd be lying, i really like it that much. it took ALOT of time for it grow on me but i just love it just makes so much sense to me and speaks to almost my every emotion, my favorites are Somewhat Damaged, We're In This Together, The Fragile, The Great Below, Just Like You Imagined, The Way Out is Through, Into the Void, and The Big Comedown.

With Teeth(8.5/10): A solid album, its really hard to follow up two masterpieces... Some really great stuff here though, All The Love In The World, With Teeth, Sunspots, Only, Right Where it Belongs, The Line Begins To Blur, and Beside You In Time, as well as the bonus import track Home,? are all great. It is going?to be interesting what direction he takes after this...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 02:24:48 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: