Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:24:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227825 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Worst Deaths in Music
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Deaths in Music  (Read 9937 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: November 13, 2005, 11:50:48 PM »

#1. Dimebag Darrell- The 9/11 of heavy metal. Dimebag was a riff machine who revolutionized metal in the post-thrash environment. Ironically, the killer believed Dimebag caused Pantera to break up, even though it was Anselmo's drug abuse.
#2. Cliff Burton- Metallica never was the same after his death.
#3. Randy Rhoads- He was very talented for his age and made some great riffs and solos. He could have been unbelievable if he lived longer.
#4. Chuck Schuldiner- He made intelligent death metal that was still as heavy as anything Cannibal Corpse did. Cancer killed him. Cancer sucks.  no
#5. Quorthon- Bathory was one of the most important first wave black metal bands, and a driving force in creating beautiful viking metal, long before the lame NSBM imitators emerged.
#6. Phil Lynott- After a short slump, Thunder and Lightning was one of Thin Lizzy's heaviest albums to date. It was also their last. I think the band would have made a great metal band if they just lasted a little longer!
#7. Euronymous and Dead- Mayhem was an interesting band that changed black metal forever. Dead committed suicide and Euronymous was murdered by Varg. But for a short time, they were the premier 2nd wave black metal band!
#8. Freddy Mercury- Despite Queen's up and down career, Freddy was consistenty great at showmanship and singing. Very few frontment can compare to him.
#9. Piggy- Voivod was one of the most unique, interesting thrash metal bands of its time. Like Schuldiner, it was cancer that killed him. Cancer sucks.  no
#10. John Lennon- After a long slump and many bad Ono songs, he was beginning to get back into music, and perhaps even a great comeback after a mediocre initial return album. He never got a 2nd chance, as he was murdered.

Post your top 10 if you want.
RichardNixon
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 11:56:54 PM »

While those are all tragic, Lennon is the most tragic. Flawed, but my hero. And I reject the notion that he had a slump or that "Double Fantasy" was mediocre. That album is fucking great.

After that, Cobain.
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 12:35:57 AM »

Dime and Pantera revolutionised heavy music more than any other metal band aside from Black Sabbath. That is the most fucked up moment in music history ever.
R.I.P Dime

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 01:24:16 AM »

top three for me -

1. Dimebag Darrell
2. Freddie Mercury
3. Layne Staley

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 03:10:59 AM »

My hero's...

Jim Morrison
Cliff Burton
Kurt Cobain
Layne Staley
Dimebag Darrell
Bon Scott

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 04:17:23 AM »

Buddy Holly placed on the kist.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 08:43:52 AM »

#6. Phil Lynott- After a short slump, Thunder and Lightning was one of Thin Lizzy's heaviest albums to date. It was also their last. I think the band would have made a great metal band if they just lasted a little longer!

Lizzy broke up in eighty three, though I agree Lynott's death was tragic? Undecided

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 11:54:01 AM »

1. Lennon
2. Cobain
3. Morrison
4. Holly
5. Mercury
6. Presley
7. Cash
8. Rhoads
9. Van Zant
10. Axl (if you believe all the stupid ass rumors that we get once every two months)

No offense to Dimebag, but I think alot of people are going to pick him just cause it was the most recent (and definitely most tragic).? That's just human nature to think the recent is always the worst.

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 12:03:33 PM »

I would say Mercury for the great charisma he put in every show.
Lennon he was a very controversial guy yet had great ideas in life and music.
Cliff burton even though he couldn't reach his highest peak with Metallica it's a great loss
Randy also was a great influence in a lot of guitar players of heavy metal

No order whatsoever I think they all has they thriumph in music history, RIP all of you
We all miss you  Sad

No man can be my equal
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 01:41:11 PM »

Hendrix
Marley
Shannon Hoon
Layne Staley
Lennon
Elvis
Billy Holiday
Robert Johnson
Eazy E
Cliff Burton
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 01:46:43 PM »

Dimebag and Freddy Mercury - they still had so much to give - what would Queen have become in the mid to late 90's? What would Pantera's reunion album have sounded like? We never got to find out.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Evolution
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 02:01:12 PM »

Cliff's death was such a waste. Undecided
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 02:27:58 PM »

Lizzy broke up in eighty three, though I agree Lynott's death was tragic  Undecided

He did too many drugs, which is why I heard the band broke up in 83, and that's what killed him later. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No offense to Dimebag, but I think alot of people are going to pick him just cause it was the most recent (and definitely most tragic).  That's just human nature to think the recent is always the worst.

Pantera was still putting out great songs (before the breakup) and Dimebag still had a lot of riffs left in him. Guys like Elvis and Cash were more or less burned out and finishing up their careers. Dimebag's death was worse because he could still make great music.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 03:19:38 PM »

No offense to Dimebag, but I think alot of people are going to pick him just cause it was the most recent (and definitely most tragic).? That's just human nature to think the recent is always the worst.

People pick him because Pantera are one of the most respected metal bands of all time, and love or hate Dime's music, the man did make a ridiculous number of brilliantly memorable riffs and solos, he had a distinct style - and when u look about the metal scene, honestly, where is a better guitarist?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 04:14:51 PM »

Lizzy broke up in eighty three, though I agree Lynott's death was tragic? Undecided

He did too many drugs, which is why I heard the band broke up in 83, and that's what killed him later. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well you're right to a degree, Lizzy were allegedly told that their planned tour would fail unless they promoted it as a "Farewell Tour" and so they agreed it was time to end the band, Philip put out another album and formed Grandslam. Eventually Lynott, Downey, Gorham and Sykes decided to reform but unfortunetly Phil overdosed so it couldn't happen.

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2005, 04:21:36 PM »

Johnny Cash
Ronnie Van Zant
Dimebag
Freddie Mercury
Waylon Jennings
John Lennon
Randy Rhoads
Bon Scott
Layne stanley

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 04:50:27 PM »

Hendrix
Bon Scott
Lennon
Freddy Mercury
John Bonham
Wilsons Craddock? rofl
S Club 7? hihi
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 01:06:46 PM by Sakib » Logged

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 05:05:52 PM »

People pick him because Pantera are one of the most respected metal bands of all time, and love or hate Dime's music, the man did make a ridiculous number of brilliantly memorable riffs and solos, he had a distinct style - and when u look about the metal scene, honestly, where is a better guitarist?

Don't get me wrong, I love Dime's music and play his riffs on guitar about every day.? My point was that if any other famous musician died back in the 70's or 80's instead of 11 months ago it might affect one's list differently.?

I mean, I even proved my own point.? I totally forgot about Hendrix and Hoon.?

But I guess talking about musicians and their importance of death is kind of like arguing who's shit is browner.? There's no right answer.? beer

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 03:04:32 AM »

I can't believe everybody forgot John Bonham. How could anybody forget Led Zeppelin??  Tongue

Fuck 'Em All.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 09:15:27 AM »

I'd haveto say the deaths that affected me most are from musicians of my time. In no particular order.

Shannon Hoon
Kurt Cobain
Dimebag
Layne Staley (Sad fucking situation was that and he got NO recognition, Asshole media swept him under the carpet)
Randy Rhodes
Cliff Burton

Also I'm not a fan but, Biggie, Tupac, Easy E

then there are the guys like Lennon, Mercury, Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, Harrison, Bonham, Cash, John Denver, Elvis Rickie Valens, Buddy Holly, Ray Charles etc. etc. etc., but they really had no impact on me I'm too young and/or not my style of music.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: