Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:06:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  'Low Disk Space', but there isn't, though there is? (Help needed)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Low Disk Space', but there isn't, though there is? (Help needed)  (Read 9495 times)
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« on: November 14, 2005, 03:08:43 PM »

My bastard Laptop keeps telling me that I have Low Disk space (each time I check, it is around the 20MB of free space mark), but I know this to be complete bollocks and, if it is not, then fucked if I know what is filling up my computer at a ridiculous rate. I have deleted countless things to 'free up' space, but nothing works.

I uninstalled WoW (not that I ever play it, so it wasn't much of a loss) from my laptop earlier, and now, a few hours later, it still tells me that I have low disk space.

Now, do ya ken? WoW for fucks sake. That's roughly 4GB freed up and nothing...Nout at all.

I'm not computer literate enough to look into this problem any further, so...

Help?

I have run Spy-Bot and AVG and, while they found thousands of virus such things, they haven't fixed this 'problem.'

(Oh, also, I get a ridiculous ammount of pop-ups [internet connected or not] that the afformentioned don't get rid of either)

So, some help of any kind would be appreciated verily...

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 03:12:13 PM »

format

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 03:15:01 PM »

Aye?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 03:29:53 PM »

ok there is either OS problem that is going to keep cropiong its slef up and a reinstall may repair the problem, or some files maybe to currpt to be repaird by an os reinstall.... so the safeest bet is a format... where u say your not real good computer wise... a computer shop maybe the best solution for you in that case.

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »

Yeah.. I'd agree.. that's fucked up.

Format, reinstall....  there's something wrong with your system.

I have run Spy-Bot and AVG and, while they found thousands of virus such things, they haven't fixed this 'problem.'

Shocked   Reformat now!  ok

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 03:39:06 PM »

Yes, but...I would be able to format my laptop, I just don't really want to. I'm a long way from being anything good with computers, but I'm not totally illiterate. I get the feeling, when going through my hard drive, that there are specific corrupt files that need to be gotten rid of but I just...Can't find them.

I went to delete something just now, and when looking at the properties it's size and number of folders was rising as I looked at it.
Bear in mind that I hadn't touched this folder until I looked at it a moment ago. It rose easily half a gigabyte or more while I was watching. I've since deleted the whole thing, and there seems to be about four[ish] GB's of free space, for the moment I just...Don't know how long that is going to last.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 03:40:16 PM »

maybe you have 2 partitions (C: and D: for example) and you think you're good cause you look at D, byt C where the system is, is actually low on space ....

but yeah if you 1000 viruses, ?just format all, and don't use internet explorer Smiley

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 03:46:33 PM »

What? No!

I deleted from C:!

Read!

Fool!

Ahem.

Bollocks. I really don't want to format.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 03:49:46 PM »

I went to delete something just now, and when looking at the properties it's size and number of folders was rising as I looked at it.
Bear in mind that I hadn't touched this folder until I looked at it a moment ago. It rose easily half a gigabyte or more while I was watching. I've since deleted the whole thing, and there seems to be about four[ish] GB's of free space, for the moment I just...Don't know how long that is going to last.

When you view the properties of a folder, it takes time for it to count up all the subfolders and the amount of disk space it uses. ?I imagine this is what you saw, and that makes sense, especially if it was using 4 gigs. ?I really doubt the size was actually increasing as you were looking at it, it was just the count of that space that was increasing.

I know it's a pain in the ass, but I really think your best bet is to reformat. ?If you don't want to do that, I'd say be willing to shell out a little money and have a company like Geek Squad take a look at it. ? When you have thousands of viruses and corrupt files, it's extremely difficult to fix without wrecking your system, and there's a high likelihood the problems will return, which is why a clean format is recomended.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 03:59:17 PM »

Oh, that's alright then.

Thankyou, for your help.

I'm going to try and weather the storm, give it about 2 weeks...

If it's still gone fucked up land, then I'll get some uber geek to take a look at it.

I thank ya.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 04:12:38 PM »

You should find the trouble on google, there's gotta be some register problem, you can do it by clicking start then go to run and write regedit, but you have to know the exact routes of your main problem and that's difficult part. Better format  Undecided

No man can be my equal
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 04:38:38 PM »

1. Do a disc clean up and remove all temporary files and webclient/Publisher files.
2. Update Windows regularly to fight against hacker exploits.
3. Look in "ad and remove programs" to see what's taking up the all the space on C:
4. Remove all items from your Prefetch folder.
5. Defragment your hard drive at least once a day. this works great.
6. Only use Firefox 1.0.7 or Opera 8.5 - IE is embedded in the OS and is more vulnerable to attack.
7. Install spywareblaster to prevent future attacks.
8. And last but not least, you should always back-up - reformat - and reinstall your OS at least once a year.

P.S If you're on high speed, be sure and have a firewall(Don't use XP's built in crap) installed. Zonealarm is damned near hacker proof. The free version is great.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 09:02:11 PM by Gunner80? » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 02:57:18 AM »

Could be that the OS is reporting the amount of free space left incorrectly. Can happen after a crash. Try running chkdsk on your disk.
(P.S: All this assuming that u're sure there's more space available and the free space shown is not correct).

Fuck 'Em All.
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 04:58:51 AM »

Well, as I said, I'm not great with computers (in as far as in depth knowledge goes), but I did free up 4 Gigabytes of space and it did nothing. So I'm pretty sure that there should be some free space there.

Or at least more than 20 or so megabytes...

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 07:34:16 AM »

Another thing is that if you've set the Virtual Memory really high, it'll gather itself all the free space available as it is freed up.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 09:25:13 AM »

Well, as I said, I'm not great with computers (in as far as in depth knowledge goes), but I did free up 4 Gigabytes of space and it did nothing. So I'm pretty sure that there should be some free space there.

Or at least more than 20 or so megabytes...
did you empty the trashcan also?

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 09:35:57 AM »

Now that, that I do indeed do.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 10:08:11 AM »

Hey Jim i've found this on google
Looks like your same error.

Click here

No man can be my equal
Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 12:03:15 PM »

Can't offer any help but at the moment I'm having a lot of hard drive problems and I'm scared to death to lose all my GN'R material nervous

I got to get either lot's of DVD's or a external hard drive rant (at the moment I'm not making lot's of money)

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 12:55:50 PM »

Another thing is that if you've set the Virtual Memory really high, it'll gather itself all the free space available as it is freed up.

Im pretty sure I have this problem with my PC, how do I change the settings on it?

Also I have this problem where when Im trying to rip a dvd to say avi, after a little while my computer completely shuts down on its own. I have no idea what's going on with it and I've had it checked out by several people who knows alot about PC's and they are completely baffled as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 02:01:00 PM by chineseblues » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: