Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227824 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Bands You've Been In
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bands You've Been In  (Read 3344 times)
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« on: November 20, 2005, 05:57:53 AM »

Because at this site all of us are really into rock music, it stands to reason that many members have tried to form bands of our own.  This section is a place where you can talk about your experiences playing music in bands, and whether you ever had any success in them..

My musical history thus far:

Purebred Mutt
2003-2004.  A "band" I formed with some friends of mine in Grade 12 that was on pretty shaky footing from the beginning.  Being the more skilled of the two guitar players, I did lead guitar, which didn't really gel with the punk style the guys specialized in.  Our lead vocalist was too shy to sing, our rhythm guitar player didn't really know how to play at that point, the bass player was technically superb but distracted too easily, and we didn't have a drummer.  To finish, we had musical A.D.D. and barely had the patience to get through a song.  As a result, the most we ever accomplished was hanging out in my basement playing covers of "Blow Job" by Blink-182.  Nevertheless, I had a ton of fun playing with these guys and it was my most productive period of writing songs.

Close Enough
2005-?  Basically Purebred Mutt Mark II, this was the group formed in 2004 by PM's singer and rhythm guitarist.  While I was away at university, they got another bassist and a drummer and actually started being serious, having regular rehearsals, writing emo/punk-inspired tunes, and eventually playing a single live show as part of a package deal with about 5 other local bands.  Close Enough more or less went on hiatus after that, but as a Purebred Mutt alumni I still sometimes jam with them and toss around ideas.  It's more of a loose association than a band.

Shaded Grey
2005-  Me and this buddy of mine started jamming while we were stoned a while ago, and every time we get high we end up jamming.  The best times happen when I'm playing on the acoustic guitar and he'll improvise these mystical lyrics over the top, half-sung, half-spoken (kind of like if William Shatner was a teenage stoner).  The band's name stems from an observation made while we were stoned regarding how the shadows we were looking at illustrated perfectly the human condition.  Anyway, my buddy is in college in another town, but who knows what the summer may hold.

Miscellaneous
I've placed and answered a variety of band ads, and usually what happens is one awkward jam session and little after that (except one case where I become good friends with the guy).  They include playing bass in a black metal band, singing in an alternative rock band, and playing guitar in a bluesy Zeppelin-type band.  Nothing ever really came out of them.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to form a real band.  I'm still on the lookout for someone around my age who likes 80s hair metal, but no luck so far.  Tongue
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 06:12:19 AM »

Right now,

13 Lucky Strikes 2003 - now

hardcore metalcore band. has gone through a lot of names/stages/members. never really started to be productive. been on hiatus for ages. but we have a new drummer and bassist lined up so it might be good. its with friends so its still good even though i'm not a fan of the music.

my real dream is to find band members that have the same musical taste as me. 80's glam/rock/hair metal. then start a band and rock the fuck out. no luck so far. one day but.

Mattman if only i lived in America..........we could work something out since we're both in the same situation and same age. but ah what can you do.

good luck with the search ok
Evolution
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 09:50:56 AM »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 05:39:07 PM by Evolution » Logged
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 11:05:48 AM »

kinda complicated, but ill dumb it down for you guys:

Heads of The Amazone - My best mate and me started to play GNR songs together a little over a year ago and loved it... we tried to get some new folks in it, but didnt find the right people, so things looked really shitty

so i looked around for some other bands and found:
Wreckless - a punk band, wich i played 1 month beforeour first show wich went straight to hell.. but the latter ones were cool. but still, its a punk band and im not really into playing in a punk band with a 80rock image and the rest look normal... so how long ill be there, i dunno. its kinda hard punk with alot of hard rock elements...

Black Rose - i was out drinkin' with wreckless, when suddenly some guy chips me on the shoulder going: hey! you look like duff, motherfucker! we need a bassist! you play bass?
so i am apparently their new bassist, and we just got a rehearsal room so in december we start for real... we play REAL rock n' roll wich sounds like velvet revolver meets GNR and Motley and Ac/Dc! cant wait for us to play live. we have the image too so its awesome!

and for Heads of The Amazone, we are now a full band and rehearsing for live shows...

and all that happend in like a snitch, so im way above my head here really :p

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 11:47:29 AM »

The Stoned Maids 2002 - Whenever i find replacements.....
Evolution
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 11:53:59 AM »

What do you play?
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 12:12:02 PM »

What do you play?
The Triangle  Wink
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 05:19:06 PM »

It was a duet more than anything, but since we played and recorded, I could label this a band.

The Odds

Formed: Columbia, South Carolina in 1999
Years Active: 1 year and then a 6 year hiatus. We are trying to record another album (more on that later)
Genre: Rock
Style: Acoustic
Moods: Intimate, Irreverent, Humorous...
Influences: Violent Femmes, Pixies, Bright Eyes, The Clash, Dinosaur Jr., Gram Parsons, The Stones, Pearl Jam, and of course GNR. (No postal service nor Death Cab for the Cutie existed then)

Albums:

The Odds - S/T
The Odds - Greatest Hits (haha)

Biography:

The Odds was formed on heavy drinking and smoking nights. Two very untalented friends trying to express their anger and rebellion through music. Two acoustic guitars (none of us really knew how to play lead) and a very, very bad singer that will wake up his neighbours every night trying to sound like Axl Rose (yeah...that was me). Their biggest highlight came when they played in front of an audience two nights in a row (kinda like when U2 and The Rolling Stones do a two or a three nighter...) They took their guitars drove downtown and sat down at the curve of the busiest junction in town on a friday night. The first night they made $8 but the second a whopping $105. That night, The Odds fulfilled their dreams of Sex, drugs and Rock and Roll for real.

Nothing has really happened since. The lead singer left the band cause his Visa expired (had to go back to Spain) and although there have been mini-reunions over the years, it has not been the same. There have been some talks lately about recording again soon, but both members are stuck with their solo careers (yeah, that's call work) and they live 4500 miles apart.

Hits: "I wish you were dead". Recorded in a $125 used Four track. 2 guitars, a harmonica, a percussion egg and vocals. This a really a good song, the lyrics are a little dark, but I feel proud.

Album in the future? well, It's been rumored that The Odds are trying to record an album from a distance!! A very close source to the singer, has stated that he has recently received a demo with a bunch of tracks to put the vocals on. The singer is a bit tighted up until X-mas, but 2006 could finally be the year.

There are a lot of fans waiting on a 2006 release, all we can say is that there's been some?speculations but nothing really confirmed. So please be patient.

On a side note. The above story is all true. I kinda wanted to express in a humorous way, but it's indeed true.
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 08:32:58 PM »

The Lax 2000-present
This is my first band, and we're still going strong today. We just finished our first full length CD and have played a bunch of shows in many places around my home. We started off as a joke band, The Laxitives. The name stuck even though we totally changed style and added members.

Small Town Rivals 2003-present
I was the original guitar player in this band, but I quit in early 2004. I rejoined in late 2004 as the bass player. We recorded a CD professionally this year, but it was never really promoted at all and ended up being nearly forgotten about.

I've been in other bands just helping out, or my own solo type thigns too
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 03:22:34 PM »

Only once the band was called "Gunners" (hehehe) well we only did one song, and it was a Molotov -- A Mexican Band -- cover, the band sucked, so, it  broke up fast. I would like to make another band, but not a lot of people is interested nowadays here, so I think that is it.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 05:25:44 PM »

Dick Purple - It was more a higschool project but I still have the right of the name of the group and the songs that I wrote, mmmmm sound familiar to me  hihi

No man can be my equal
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 05:34:26 PM »

Never heard of that dude....
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 07:40:59 PM »

It was a duet more than anything, but since we played and recorded, I could label this a band.

The Odds

Formed: Columbia, South Carolina in 1999
Years Active: 1 year and then a 6 year hiatus. We are trying to record another album (more on that later)
Genre: Rock
Style: Acoustic
Moods: Intimate, Irreverent, Humorous...
Influences: Violent Femmes, Pixies, Bright Eyes, The Clash, Dinosaur Jr., Gram Parsons, The Stones, Pearl Jam, and of course GNR. (No postal service nor Death Cab for the Cutie existed then)

Albums:

The Odds - S/T
The Odds - Greatest Hits (haha)

Biography:

The Odds was formed on heavy drinking and smoking nights. Two very untalented friends trying to express their anger and rebellion through music. Two acoustic guitars (none of us really knew how to play lead) and a very, very bad singer that will wake up his neighbours every night trying to sound like Axl Rose (yeah...that was me). Their biggest highlight came when they played in front of an audience two nights in a row (kinda like when U2 and The Rolling Stones do a two or a three nighter...) They took their guitars drove downtown and sat down at the curve of the busiest junction in town on a friday night. The first night they made $8 but the second a whopping $105. That night, The Odds fulfilled their dreams of Sex, drugs and Rock and Roll for real.

Nothing has really happened since. The lead singer left the band cause his Visa expired (had to go back to Spain) and although there have been mini-reunions over the years, it has not been the same. There have been some talks lately about recording again soon, but both members are stuck with their solo careers (yeah, that's call work) and they live 4500 miles apart.

Hits: "I wish you were dead". Recorded in a $125 used Four track. 2 guitars, a harmonica, a percussion egg and vocals. This a really a good song, the lyrics are a little dark, but I feel proud.

Album in the future? well, It's been rumored that The Odds are trying to record an album from a distance!! A very close source to the singer, has stated that he has recently received a demo with a bunch of tracks to put the vocals on. The singer is a bit tighted up until X-mas, but 2006 could finally be the year.

There are a lot of fans waiting on a 2006 release, all we can say is that there's been some?speculations but nothing really confirmed. So please be patient.

On a side note. The above story is all true. I kinda wanted to express in a humorous way, but it's indeed true.

Man... The Odds were an alternative band from Canada in the early/mid '90s.
They had some pretty popular songs like Someone Who's Cool and Eat My Brain
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 08:16:28 AM »

Man... The Odds were an alternative band from Canada in the early/mid '90s.
They had some pretty popular songs like Someone Who's Cool and Eat My Brain

Maybe, but they sure were not as successful as The (other) Odds were... Wink
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: