Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:28:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  "black velvet"...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "black velvet"...  (Read 5753 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« on: November 22, 2005, 12:26:19 PM »

Listen to that song http://rapidshare.de/files/8000553/11_Black_Velvet_-_Alannah_Myles.wma.html
Do you know when it was released? I love her voice and the guitars. It sounds great. One of my favourite song.
I'd like to see Axl doing a song like that.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 12:29:28 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 12:31:35 PM »

Listen to that song http://rapidshare.de/files/8000553/11_Black_Velvet_-_Alannah_Myles.wma.html
Do you know when it was released? I love her voice and the guitars. It sounds great. One of my favourite song.
I'd like to see Axl doing a song like that.

In or around 1990

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 01:46:10 PM »

yeah, it sounds like a typicall early 90's sound. It was a great erea, there was good music.

Evolution
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 02:15:38 PM »

Great voice. Bass heavy stuff!
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 03:06:04 PM »

the lyrics are about Elvis...in fact imo its the best song ever written about him

Black Velvet" - Alannah Myles
Written by Anthony Vita

The song "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles was written by Christopher Ward and David Tyson. Ward, who used to work for Canada's answer to MTV called MuchMusic, was inspired to write the song while on assignment in Memphis, TN. He had to write a story around the 10th anniversary of Elvis' death.

Ward traveled to Memphis on a bus filled with Elvis fanatics. During this trip he had a lot of time to think and jotted down notes about the experience. When he finally wrote the song based on this experience, he recalls one line which meant a lot to him.

"A crucial line in that song," Ward recalls, "was 'a new religion that will bring you to your knees.' It's because in reading about the southern fundamentalist preachers and the way that they would exhort members of the congregation, I realized in a flash that this was the same way Elvis exhorted his fans."

Canadian singer Alannah Myles was excited at the prospect of recording the song, which she loved upon first hearing it.

She loved it so much that she wound recording it on one of the hottest days in Toronto history. Alannah was cooped up in a basement studio on a 99 degree day with no air conditioning.

However, Alannah found the heat from that day very inspirational as she wanted the song to have the feel of a hot day in Memphis. As a matter of fact, she even took her shirt off while recording the song.

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 03:29:31 PM »

the lyrics are about Elvis...in fact imo its the best song ever written about him

Black Velvet" - Alannah Myles
Written by Anthony Vita

The song "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles was written by Christopher Ward and David Tyson. Ward, who used to work for Canada's answer to MTV called MuchMusic, was inspired to write the song while on assignment in Memphis, TN. He had to write a story around the 10th anniversary of Elvis' death.

Ward traveled to Memphis on a bus filled with Elvis fanatics. During this trip he had a lot of time to think and jotted down notes about the experience. When he finally wrote the song based on this experience, he recalls one line which meant a lot to him.

"A crucial line in that song," Ward recalls, "was 'a new religion that will bring you to your knees.' It's because in reading about the southern fundamentalist preachers and the way that they would exhort members of the congregation, I realized in a flash that this was the same way Elvis exhorted his fans."

Canadian singer Alannah Myles was excited at the prospect of recording the song, which she loved upon first hearing it.

She loved it so much that she wound recording it on one of the hottest days in Toronto history. Alannah was cooped up in a basement studio on a 99 degree day with no air conditioning.

However, Alannah found the heat from that day very inspirational as she wanted the song to have the feel of a hot day in Memphis. As a matter of fact, she even took her shirt off while recording the song.

You don't happen to wear blue suede shoes do you? or have a rinestone jumpsuit? hihi

I'm kidding dude. BTW I'm sorry to have offended you (and the king) in the worst deaths thread. I meant nothing by it. beer

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 05:37:09 PM »

It's the perfect song to listen while you're driving. It's like an adventure. Also check some Chris Isaak material like "blue hotel" or " eyes wide shut", they have kinda the same feeling. The guitars sound fantastic. A little bit retro with delay and echo, it sounds authentic.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 05:38:52 PM by nesquick » Logged

Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 05:52:21 PM »

1989 to be exact.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 06:14:04 PM »

The song went to #1 and was a worldwide Hit. I've just read that. I'm not surprised because it's really a fucking great song.
" bring you to your knees"... doesn't it remind you something? ?Wink
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 06:15:41 PM by nesquick » Logged

Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 07:49:15 PM »

You don't happen to wear blue suede shoes do you? or have a rinestone jumpsuit? hihi

I'm kidding dude. BTW I'm sorry to have offended you (and the king) in the worst deaths thread. I meant nothing by it. beer

ummm i have neither...btw Elvis wore jumpsuits covered with real jewels, not rhinestones like the Darkness hihi ...i do have a 26 yr old replica belt does that count? Tongue

Hey no worries neemo, i just find it amusing when people quote tabloid material as if it were true

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 10:34:17 AM »

The song went to #1 and was a worldwide Hit. I've just read that. I'm not surprised because it's really a fucking great song.
" bring you to your knees"... doesn't it remind you something? ?Wink

BTW Axl and Slash were fans of Alannah, there are pictures floating around which were taken on an Alannah Myles show. I wish these two heroes had joined Alannah on stage to perform Black Velvet  drool

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: