Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:30:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  the state of rock
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: the state of rock  (Read 5239 times)
damien24
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: November 25, 2005, 03:35:06 AM »

some rock bands have a career that leads them to be the 'biggest band on earth',  Led Zeppelin, the beatles, guns n roses,-   has anyone noticed that there has not been a band like this in the longest time-  especially a rock band-

has the rock crowd been burned to many times? 
kurt cobain killed himself- Axl Rose went crazy and broke his band up-  those are the last 2 'HUUGE rock bands- 

the biggest bands at the moment are The Rolling Stones and U2,  both great-  but are more popular for nostalgia reasons-  same goes with the current succsess of motley crue.

also the over-commercialization of radio and MTV has a large part in the state of music-    in the old days-   people who loved music worked in the music industry- and they made them selfs a lot of money-  now people who love money own/operate radio stations and mtv.     
any band that comes around and does something any good at all-  its shoved down your throat as the best thing ever  (ie- the strokes)

to recap what i just blabbed about-       There are no more huuge bands anymore-  the biggest bands at the moment dont contribute anything important, but are meerly a touring juke-box of classic tunes, and much of this has to do with over commercialization and too much hype

agreements/disagreements/your theories?
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 03:48:39 AM »

I agree man, there are no more, Huge bands in the world I dont know why, maybe because New bands are not exactly talented or most of them are just possers. Good thread man, take care.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 01:47:03 PM »

Oasis went as big as GN'R in Europe. Oasis was/is also much bigger than Nirvana ever was.
Oasis have sold over 50 million records in the world. They had something like 11 consecutive #1 singles in Europe!! Shocked
Too bad the Americans haven't taste in music sometimes, because this band is fantastic.
Maybe the biggest and greatest European band since....the beattles.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 01:49:57 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 01:48:06 PM »

I wasn't a big nirvana fan, they are ok, but I don't think them as anything good, anyway from nowadays people MTV orientated prefers simple songs that more elaborated songs, IMHO  peace

No man can be my equal
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 01:50:29 PM »

Well the problem with Oasis, is that is not very known in the States, and sadly when a band or an artist isnt recognized in Gringoland, well they are never going to be huge bands.
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 03:17:50 PM »

Too bad the Americans haven't taste in music sometimes, because this band is fantastic.

I agree Americans don't have much taste in music these days, but what do they have to do with Oasis?? Egypt didn't buy many Oasis albums either, nor did Japan or Columbia.? If you have to persuade a country to buy a band's album then they probably weren't that big around the world.? South America and Europe are probably bigger GNR continents than North America even though GNR was founded and are based there.?

Sadly, a band I see today making a case for themselves is three chord Green Day.? I'm just glad Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit fizzled out after a couple albums. 

I think Pearl Jam could have been very successful if they would have whored out and went commercial. 

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 04:18:30 PM »

The problem with Oasis is that they're a mediocre band, that's all. They don't like quality music like Manowar because they feel so threatened. Maybe they don't have the armadillos in their trousers and amps that go all the way to 11 like Manowar does.   rofl

We don't need any supergroups. I like how people are jumping at lesser known bands in genres like metalcore. To many, it's the gateway to heavier things like death metal. The state of rock music, and especially heavy metal, is much better than in the late 90's. Superbands are the sign of an overexposed scene. Hair metal died as GnR were getting huge, grunge depended too much on Cobain, and Linkin Park probably single-handedly destroyed mallcore. Thrash metal died when Metallica sold out with the black album.

Huge bands are the last thing rock music needs now.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 04:46:32 AM »

Music is too safe, its not personal or emotionally anymore, everything seems so manufactured and not real.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 05:25:27 AM »

When songs are real and come from the heart, they get bashed even worse. You've probably heard stuff like "Bono's just feeding his ego; charity's easy when you're a millionaire rock star" or "Skrewdriver is terrible music. I haven't heard a single song, but they're Nazi's so they can't possibly be good!"  Roll Eyes

Bands that are upfront about their beliefs are hated by the masses. Band that cater to the lowest common denominator with trite, boring values like love, democracy, and peace get attention and respect. Bands like enjoy cool, manly stuff like war, death, and destruction scare off the sheep.

Music listeners should abandon their biases that cloud their perspective when they try new music. Most people can't do this with anything, much less something as complex as music.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 09:06:30 AM »

A thing called "homies from da ghetto" made its way into music, also known as hip-hop rape, the usual crap, then TV stations such as MTV promoted it. Radio stations didnt play rock too much. Basically they made it unpopular, hence no bands are as famous.

html sucks
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 11:32:50 AM »

Coldplay could be considered a super band. They're the only one I can think that was formed recently and can make huge stadium tours
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 12:53:43 PM »

Coldplay could be considered a super band. They're the only one I can think that was formed recently and can make huge stadium tours

that thought is just sad...

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 01:08:17 PM »

Yeah coldplay are very boring and depressing. Suppose Marilyn manson has been pretty big?

html sucks
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 01:43:41 PM »

A thing called "homies from da ghetto" made its way into music, also known as hip-hop rape, the usual crap, then TV stations such as MTV promoted it. Radio stations didnt play rock too much. Basically they made it unpopular, hence no bands are as famous.

Hip hop and safe pop music have taken over the music charts. Some hip hop has artistic merit, but cant say I like it personally. Pop friendly country is also a big thing now. Leaves less room for rock bands to be promoted by the music industry. Thus, no big rock bands. What a shame, isnt it? All comes down to what sells the most. We are getting told what to listen to by the record companies due to the over exposure of complete shit.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
spacebrain5000
Rocker

feelin' like a space brain one more time tonight..

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2005, 03:25:52 PM »

the state of rock is death.

robots.
Evolution
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2005, 03:42:59 PM »

the state of rock is death.

Metal?
spacebrain5000
Rocker

feelin' like a space brain one more time tonight..

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2005, 06:03:21 PM »

mostly just death. we live in an age of rock without roll and sanitation and digitalized talent, an age where a band like nickelback goes number one on the charts. i consider it to be the dark age of rock music. there is none. no attitude, no talent, no great musicality. it's just death.

robots.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2005, 08:11:18 PM »

rock music has forgotten what it is like to have fun...theyre all so serious....and the major labels are all so dominant that they try not to let any group through that they cant control...it seems that its more profitable to have groups that are short lived and trendy than long term bands...crazy world

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: