Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  "Ban 50 Cent From Canada"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Ban 50 Cent From Canada"  (Read 9535 times)
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« on: November 23, 2005, 11:44:29 AM »

Ok, I don't understand.  Why is 50 Cent to blame for all violence these days?  I can barely even THINK of a movie that's come out recently that didn't have guns and/or violence in it, but the second 50 Cent makes a movie with violence, everyone complains that he's "ruining America"... 50 Cent makes a video game with guns in it and he's "ruining America"... 50 Cent says the word gun in a song and he's "ruining America"...

If you're going to ban 50 Cent, how come there's no protest to ban the other million movies and video games that glorify violence?  I don't get why 50 Cent is the focus, is it because he's a rapper?  Because kids are the people paying attention to him?  Maybe parents need to explain the entertainment business to them instead of trying to shield them.

I'm also sure there's a few people here who disagree with 50 Cent being "entertainment" (and think that he's 'glorifying violence' and ruining the country), but will then turn around and claim Pulp Fiction or Fight Club is their favourite movie.  Also, from Canada's point of view, maybe a bigger concern should be trying to get the U.S. to change their gun laws and stop exporting their violence into Toronto.  There are bigger issues than 50 Cent.

Anyways, here's the article:

OTTAWA (CP) - Immigration Minister Joe Volpe has been asked by one of his Liberal colleagues to prevent rap artist 50 Cent from coming to Canada.

Born Curtis Jackson in Queen's N.Y., 50 Cent - or "Fiddy" as he's known in rap circles - is scheduled to launch a Canadian tour Dec. 3 in Vancouver. But the rapper promotes gun violence, says Toronto MP Dan McTeague, who wants Volpe to turn back 50 Cent at the border. "I don't think people in Toronto or any urban centre need or want to hear Mr. Jackson's message right now," McTeague said.

The musician performed in Toronto in 2003, where McTeague points out there was a shooting.

"I think it's time we send a message of our own to those who glorify violence that their gratuitous violence and movies are not welcome in our country," McTeague said. "We need to do a better job at protecting Canadians from people who's message runs counter to all of our efforts of trying to curb gun violence."

A spokesman for Volpe was unaware of the letter when contacted late Tuesday.

But the minister would not comment about an individual case anyway, said Steven Heckbert. 

"Whether the minister or departmental officials make a decision about intervening or not, it's really not appropriate for us to be talking about it in a public forum," said Heckbert.

The rapper has a criminal record, and would be required to obtain a ministerial permit to enter Canada, although such permits are issued regularly, he added.

"It's permission that's granted typically about 12,000 times a year," said Heckbert. "In many of those cases the minister does not intervene directly. The department has delegated authority to make such decisions.

Some U.S. critics have criticized 50 Cent's music for celebrating guns and drugs, without any emphasis on social or moral consciousness.

Paramount Pictures last month pulled some billboards for the movie Get Rich or Die Tryin after community activists complained they glorified gun violence in tough areas of south Los Angeles.

The posters featured 50 Cent, the movie's star, holding a gun in his left hand and a microphone in his right.

The singer denounced the move as proof that rappers get a bad rap when it comes to violence.

50 Cent's Canadian tour is also scheduled for performances in Halifax, Saint John, Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto and Ottawa.

It's not known if the musician obtained a special permit to enter Canada in advance of booking his tour dates.

A coalition of African-Canadian organizations met Tuesday with Prime Minister Paul Martin in Ottawa, urging him to adopt a program to curb the escalating gun violence in Toronto.

Four dozen shootings in Toronto this year, out of a total of 70 homicides, involved guns.
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 11:53:43 AM »

I personally am not a 50 Cent fan but I don't think his fans really have anything to worry about. People have been doing this for years, blaming their short comings as parents/politicians on the most popular person/group/band in pop culture at the time. It was Elvis in the 50's, The Beatles in the 60's, Zeppelin in the 70's, Ozzy in the 80's, GnR in their time, Eminem at the end of the 90's and it's 50 Cent now. It's no big deal.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 11:59:38 AM »

I personally am not a 50 Cent fan but I don't think his fans really have anything to worry about. People have been doing this for years, blaming their short comings as parents/politicians on the most popular person/group/band in pop culture at the time. It was Elvis in the 50's, The Beatles in the 60's, Zeppelin in the 70's, Ozzy in the 80's, GnR in their time, Eminem at the end of the 90's and it's 50 Cent now. It's no big deal.

Yeah, I guess it's kind of like saying Marilyn Manson is responsible for the Columbine shootings.  Is that really where the blame belongs?
purplehaze1988
Rocker

nur ihr konnt holland stoppen

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 12:42:55 PM »

I think 50 Cent is a bit different to the afforementioned bands. Gun crime is a big problem, and I know "Fiddy" isn't the cause, but he doesn't exactly help either. I don't think banning him would be the answer, I just think the asshole should evaluate his situation and realise that he does, in a way, promote gun crime. Which is wrong.

I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 02:48:55 PM »

Good, ban him.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 06:38:09 PM »

Would it perhaps be possible to ban him from ever releasing any music ever again too?

Grin
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 06:42:09 PM »

The most rediculase thing ive ever seen is the cover and the inside sleeves to 50 cents The Massacre hihi

what i fuckin' terry tuff cunt, him n' all his hood holdin' all there guns at ya, what a bunch of cockheads!!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 06:48:46 PM »

It's marketing... "50 cent, yo-yo, huh-huh, ha-ha-gangsta style", there's nothing real, it's just marketing for some hip-hop teenagers in rebellion.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Buddy J.B.
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 09:10:53 PM »

I think rap music is some sort of security that guards these african-american's? anger at how whites treated them like shit in the past . They're being just as bad their white foes are how they huddle together and isolate themselves. This happens with everybody no matter who they are, when someone is insecure and unsure, his/her only option is to be a follower or belong to a group. I'm not saying rap music sucks or it's good that 50 cent is being banned, I just believe it's not healing wounds of the black race's tough past. I wouldn't care if itallians created rap instead , I just don't perfer instrument-less music.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 09:18:31 PM by SuperMike » Logged
Eeebs
I was kissed by Matt Sorum!!
VIP

Riot Act

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 09:32:28 PM »

They want to ban 50 Cent from entering Canada because following his last concert over here (London, Ontario, I believe) - there was a shooting outside of the stadium.

In addition, there is a lot of hysteria these days.  There have been many shootings & killings.  In one instance, a man was shot and killed by gang members while attending a funeral here in Toronto. 

People are getting scared / worried and are wondering why all of this violence exists.  They are looking at all aspects of it - family, income, and even media.

That is where 50 Cent comes into play.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 09:33:12 PM »

It doesnt matter if they ban the movie, the interested kids will download it , but certainly the parents and some religion people should be more open minded, I think every posible thing has been presented in motion pictures before, and what happened to 50 in canada is just going ?to help selling more tickets, in some other countries, perhaps its even a prepared move by 50.
Evolution
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 09:33:50 PM »

I just don't perfer instrument-less music.

Well said. *boom tscch* combined with about 3 notes on a shite keyboard just doesn't fly with me
Buddy J.B.
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 10:28:41 PM »

I just don't perfer instrument-less music.

Well said. *boom tscch* combined with about 3 notes on a shite keyboard just doesn't fly with me
hahaha
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 11:06:27 PM »

They want to ban 50 Cent from entering Canada because following his last concert over here (London, Ontario, I believe) - there was a shooting outside of the stadium.

In addition, there is a lot of hysteria these days. There have been many shootings & killings. In one instance, a man was shot and killed by gang members while attending a funeral here in Toronto.

People are getting scared / worried and are wondering why all of this violence exists. They are looking at all aspects of it - family, income, and even media.

Why is that where 50 Cent comes into play?  Ok, maybe there's an argument because someone was shot outside his show here (I think it was actually in Toronto at the Jay-Z/50 Cent tour, but I'm not sure).  However, that really has nothing to do with 50 but more with the people at the show.

How does banning 50 Cent help anything though?  Aren't the U.S. gun laws a bigger problem than an entertainer?  I'd say their loose laws are more of a reason for rising gun violence in Toronto (not so much in the rest of Canada) than 50 Cent's music.

So what is it about him that's attracting so much attention as a promoter of guns & violence?  Is there something about the hip hop culture that's scaring everyone?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 10:16:08 AM »

all these bans do is give the artist more hype and make people want to see the guy's shit even more.. Whenever someone tries to halt something they only spark more interest.. I think it's beter to let things come and go quietly..
Eeebs
I was kissed by Matt Sorum!!
VIP

Riot Act

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 07:30:38 PM »

In addition, there is a lot of hysteria these days. There have been many shootings & killings. In one instance, a man was shot and killed by gang members while attending a funeral here in Toronto.

People are getting scared / worried and are wondering why all of this violence exists. They are looking at all aspects of it - family, income, and even media.

Why is that where 50 Cent comes into play? Ok, maybe there's an argument because someone was shot outside his show here (I think it was actually in Toronto at the Jay-Z/50 Cent tour, but I'm not sure). However, that really has nothing to do with 50 but more with the people at the show.

How does banning 50 Cent help anything though? Aren't the U.S. gun laws a bigger problem than an entertainer? I'd say their loose laws are more of a reason for rising gun violence in Toronto (not so much in the rest of Canada) than 50 Cent's music.

So what is it about him that's attracting so much attention as a promoter of guns & violence? Is there something about the hip hop culture that's scaring everyone?

Apparently, his lyrics are very violence.  With the high incidents of gun crime in Toronto recently (70 people have been murdered this year, and 48 of those people were murdered with a gun), some people are trying to figure out why this is happening and how the problems can be solved.

The people who want to ban 50 Cent think that there is a correlation between music and the later actions on the street.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 02:10:52 AM »

The people who want to ban 50 Cent think that there is a correlation between music and the later actions on the street.

At least they're a minority, the best quotes are from the premier and the mayor..........

TORONTO - American rapper 50 Cent is still likely legal tender in Canada.

Liberal MP Dan McTeague was trying to have the nine-gunshot victim, whose lyrics focus on crime, drugs and violence, banned from Canada due to his criminal record.

The former gun-toting gangsta was in Toronto for more than a month last summer filming his hit movie Get Rich Or Die Tryin' and may already have a minister's permit to travel here.

While Immigration Minister Joe Volpe said he was "devastated by the gun violence in our city," he said he wasn't going to intervene in the matter.

"Our officers examine every case and make a decision based on the evidence," Volpe told the Toronto Sun.

He said 50 Cent, whose real name is Curtis Jackson, may already have a permit since he was here for the movie. 

The rapper is scheduled to begin his Canadian tour Dec. 3 in Vancouver, with a Dec. 20 concert here at the Ricoh Coliseum.

His last concert here was in 2003, when a fan was killed leaving the Molson Amphitheatre.

Msemji Granger, 24, of Hamilton, was shot several times at close range. The gunmen fled in crowds attending fireworks going off at Ontario Place to celebrate Canada Day.

Last March, hip hop star Ja Rule was fined $1,500 for hitting a man in a downtown club who shouted profanities at him from a 50 Cent tune that accuses Ja Rule of not being a real gangsta.

Known for his rapid-fire delivery, 50 Cent spits out tunes interlaced with sounds of gunshots. His hits include, Whattup Gangsta, Wanksta and P.I.M.P.

Premier Dalton McGuinty and Mayor David Miller don't think 50 Cent and other hip hop artists should take the rap for the explosion of gun crime on Toronto's streets.

"They're not without some influence; I can say that as a father of four kids," McGuinty said. "But I think the problems that we're addressing here in Ontario when it comes to crime have their foundation and their causes in issues that are much more complex than any influence of any one particular rapper."

"I've always seen music as an expression of what's happening in communities," Mayor David Miller said."I don't think it's something where people hear music and then go out and do what's said (in the lyrics)."

Immigration lawyer Mendel Green said 50 Cent will have no problem getting a permit to travel here.

"This is done all the time," said Green, who's obtained hundreds of permits for celebrities.
Buddy J.B.
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2005, 04:30:49 AM »

all these bans do is give the artist more hype and make people want to see the guy's shit even more.. Whenever someone tries to halt something they only spark more interest.. I think it's beter to let things come and go quietly..
Well said Dude. There's music artists I dislike that I wish parents wouldn't bitch and moan about so they would lose their charisma and respect by the dumb-ass fans.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: