Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 03:16:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Young fans, will they accept GN'R and make them big again?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Young fans, will they accept GN'R and make them big again?  (Read 24123 times)
Sino-lieS
Headliner

"...Just another day in Hell..."

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2004, 08:42:54 PM »

I do think the younger folks would support a new GnR album. Axl was the last real rock n roll rebel and I think there is a big fascination with him. Even doing so little to expose himself over the years he still gets media attention. For example I live in Toronto and we have a news station on TV that has weather,news etc all day. There is a small section where news alerts are shown relating to anything breaking. Twice I have seen things like AXL being sued, and AXL sues over Greatest hits. Very rarely is any other band mentioned let alone one that is definitely off the radar. But yes the younger folks would definitly be into GnR.

I also think older folks would like it too. Guns are not like Poison, Motley, even Metallica. They are hard pure rock n roll band. They had so many hit songs from so few albums that older people don't forget that.

Back to the young folks again. A short while back after a hockey game we were all in the dressing room. 1 young guy (maybe 19) says he is going to a club where they play hard rock music. One guy asked..."specifically what type of bands?"
" GUNNERS!!!!!!" he answered. Thats pretty cool since he would have been like 8 or 10 when Guns were bigtime.

"You'll see it. I don't know if SOON is the word."
" ...just another day in Hell... "
bad tripp
Headliner

Here Today... Probably Here Tommorrow

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2004, 09:06:25 PM »

I was born the same year appetite was released one thing i remember from my childhood was Axl sitting at the piano in Nov. Rain i first started listening to them after the VMA's and if i can get hooked after one arguably mediocore performance im sure other kids can

gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2004, 10:31:43 PM »

Speaking of hockey, I had a hockey game last year, and my team was changing in the locker room right next to the other team, which had loud music.  Most of the music was crummy, but then (out of all the songs for hockey), they played November Rain and Knockin' On Heaven's Door, and left these songs on in their entirety, unlike some of the other songs.  A good sign indeed.
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2004, 12:08:54 AM »

I'd say that the ideal record buying public would be adolesence to, say, about 35, so the young lads are certainly going to have to play a hand is helping this record reach it's full commercial potential....
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2004, 03:05:00 AM »

I wanted to ask if you thought it would be the fans who didn't get to see old guns play that will make the new guns big? I ask this because I have checked a few page threads over the year and most seem to be teenagers on all the forums..

Forums have about 4000- 6000 members(bigger forums), and alot of them are the same people from each just registering around and I'm sure some have duplicate usernames..

I just threw that in there, the average seems about 17yrs old..

I know alot of older people don't get into the music the same anymore, I loved alot of great groups over the years from the late 80's on, but I don't want to buy their records now..

Say metallica , poison, motley crue, skid row, van halen, etc released new albums, I wouldn't run out to buy them, but I would have picked them up ten years ago... Could this have the same affect with new gnr, afterall alot of older groups sales have declined..

I guess the younger generation will need to carry new gnr the same way the people my age ran out and bought the gnr albums when they came out..

I think Axl realized that the bands who make music for their 'old fans' have to face the fact that new generations don't really buy their albums. Look at Rolling Stones: they don't sell albums as much as they did (but on the other hand they have sell-out tours). IMO Axl's idea was to refresh GN'R with the industrial sound and industrial people (Finck, Vrenna, Moby), but the music fashion changed he went to another direction, but kept the look that's popular today: Finck, who looks like one of the Mansons and Buckethead who looks like someone from Slipdisc and he made himself look really ermm... 'new'. But only new fans can make big sells, it's always the 13-25 years olds who buy the most albums. My friends, who are above 25 didn't know that GN'R still exixst (although GN'R was their favourite band, but they're just not too internet-type people) or they didn't like nor the new GN'R songs I showed them, neither the old ones performed by the new band. I'm not a big fan of the Nu-GN'R, but I like it better than they do, tried to pursuade them to listen it more, but they still didn't find it any good. Maybe because the band had new members, maybe because my friends grew older, maybe because they really didn't like the music... They didn't like VR, too... So Axl really needs the new fans, sadly those who (or some of them) are hostile against the old line-up. I don't really care, I want Axl to be big again, but - what's more important for me - to release albums. Often.  peace

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
SADIS
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2004, 03:32:04 AM »

I think Axl realized that the bands who make music for their 'old fans' have to face the fact that new generations don't really buy their albums. Look at Rolling Stones: they don't sell albums as much as they did (but on the other hand they have sell-out tours). IMO Axl's idea was to refresh GN'R with the industrial sound and industrial people (Finck, Vrenna, Moby), but the music fashion changed he went to another direction, but kept the look that's popular today: Finck, who looks like one of the Mansons and Buckethead who looks like someone from Slipdisc and he made himself look really ermm... 'new'. But only new fans can make big sells, it's always the 13-25 years olds who buy the most albums. My friends, who are above 25 didn't know that GN'R still exixst (although GN'R was their favourite band, but they're just not too internet-type people) or they didn't like nor the new GN'R songs I showed them, neither the old ones performed by the new band. I'm not a big fan of the Nu-GN'R, but I like it better than they do, tried to pursuade them to listen it more, but they still didn't find it any good. Maybe because the band had new members, maybe because my friends grew older, maybe because they really didn't like the music... They didn't like VR, too... So Axl really needs the new fans, sadly those who (or some of them) are hostile against the old line-up. I don't really care, I want Axl to be big again, but - what's more important for me - to release albums. Often.? peace

I have already said it before here on the forum and I will say it again. The GNR style (looks, music, attitude etc.) from the 80's/early 90's will become HUGE again. The kids will dress like that, look like that and will want to listen to that. So Axl will be cool again as will Slash and maybe Duff in a lesser extent. So if Axl makes an album in the old-school Rock N Roll style the kids will totally dig it. Young kids will look up to him again, especially the way he was in the 80's.

Believe me.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2004, 03:35:18 AM »

Young kids will drive the new GnR to success.....if they ever release the album.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2004, 09:30:06 AM »

I just read today in the paper about Iron Maiden coming to play in Sweden next summer and how they're gonna play lots of old stuff. Stuff that their younger fans never saw performed live. I think something similar might happen with GN'R. Lots of young people have discovered the band after they ended the UYI tour.

So, yes I think the younger fans will be inportant if GN'R wants to be big again. They also seem more open to the idea of the new band.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Taz
Banned
Headliner

Axl forever

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2004, 09:36:41 AM »

I just read today in the paper about Iron Maiden coming to play in Sweden next summer and how they're gonna play lots of old stuff. Stuff that their younger fans never saw performed live. I think something similar might happen with GN'R. Lots of young people have discovered the band after they ended the UYI tour.

So, yes I think the younger fans will be inportant if GN'R wants to be big again. They also seem more open to the idea of the new band.

/jarmo

"They also seem more open to the idea of the new band."

I agree  ok
Boromir
VIP

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2004, 10:36:11 AM »

/jarmo
Yeap, like me Smiley

Keep Calm and Listen to Guns N' Roses!
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2004, 10:54:08 AM »

To have success you need 2 things:
1) Good music.
2) Promotion.
I think back in the days, the promotion of the old band was absolutely phenomenal: they were everywhere, on MTV on magazines, press, television, newspaper, on stores (remmber the GN'R tee-shirts) etc... everywhere. and the music was really great so that's why it worked and why they sold so much records and sold out stadiums all over the world.
Good music + promotion = the key of success.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 10:59:55 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2004, 10:56:39 AM »

I agree about the young fans because unlike alot of us older fans who have certain feelings the younger kids will just treat it as music only.. I'm not just talking about the forum peoiple because they are the ones that are definetly going to buy it regardless of the disagreements.

SOmeone asked if I don';t buy those albums then what do I buy? I have such a classic collection of rock music from the earlier 90's back that I buy maybe three new albums a year..

I don't want to sound like an old man, but there was something special about being involved with a great band during their glory days, the idea about being out with friends enjoying a weekend at a party (with gnr cranking) with buds from HS... The music is such a big part of the timne, it's what sticks in your head growing up.. Pricelss mo0ments, that's something I had with gnr, it's times I'll never forget..

I had mentioned how I wouldn't be inclined to buy records from bands I enjoyed years ago growing up.. There's something about when the band is big and you're in that moment, it's magical... So many bands don't release as good of albums as years go on..

Bands like aero, metallica, motley crue, van halen, bon jovi, whitesnake, maiden, priest, scorpions, def lepp, etc etc were all things I enjoyued growing up, but the passion for them are gone, I still love the old albums, but for some reason I'm not interested in their new works.. New gnr is the only older band in which I care about the new stuff.. Those other bands served a great time in my life, but gnr is more of my life,.. That's why I was/am excited about VR..

I wouldn't give shit about a vince neil side project, or nikki six..

One more thing to add, i saw someone wrote they didn't want the music to be embraced by fans of bands like simple plan, I disagree, I think that it's music and everyone should enjoy it.. It's not like your bon jovi, cinderella, winger fan didn't embrace gnr back in the day..
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2004, 11:08:44 AM »

To be successfull you have to make music for everybody, music that everybody can enjoy, not only teenagers.
Guns n' Roses is not Boyzone. Everybody should be able to enjoy the new Guns n' Roses music.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 11:11:06 AM by nesquick » Logged

The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2004, 11:36:49 AM »

if the music is good, then it MIGHT sell well to younger kids.. i'm 17 and in high school right now and i'm sad to say that maybe 4 kids in the whole school actually care for guns n roses.. everyone else is into emo/pop/goth music.. and most of the emo/goth kids HATE axl with a passion.. why? the goth kids hate him for "ruining" the metallica/gnr tour (which most of em werent even old enuff to go to but theyre still pissed about it) and the emo kids hate him because of axl's confrontation w/ kurt cobain..

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2004, 12:39:04 PM »

if the music is good, then it MIGHT sell well to younger kids.. i'm 17 and in high school right now and i'm sad to say that maybe 4 kids in the whole school actually care for guns n roses.. everyone else is into emo/pop/goth music.. and most of the emo/goth kids HATE axl with a passion.. why? the goth kids hate him for "ruining" the metallica/gnr tour (which most of em werent even old enuff to go to but theyre still pissed about it) and the emo kids hate him because of axl's confrontation w/ kurt cobain..

Its understandable, I hate Nirvana because of his confrontation with axl  hihi,oh and...because i dont like their music. Tongue
Im 22, I was 5-6 years old when AFD first came out and I remember being in front of my tv watching sweet child of mine , welcome to the jungle and paradise city and I was totally rockin' ,  hihi Imagine that, a 6 year old kid totally getting into GNR , my little friends at school used to tell me GNR was the devil  hihi use your illusion 2 was the first album I ever bought (on cassette though) Although I lived the experience through the tv screen I can say I wish I would've been at least 5 years older ...I loved the music but I didnt really understand the songs, only the choruses (english is not my native tongue). So yeah I feel like I missed something and Im looking fwd to the new GNR.
I remember the first time I heard, 'what do we got here is failure to communicate...'  smoking just awesome. And I had to turn off 'my world' because of the orgasmic sounds, I was afraid my momma heard it.
 hihi

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
Gunner Fucker
Axl's Yes Man
Headliner

Bucketwho?

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2004, 12:58:18 PM »

I think they will get into it. There will be an entire new fan base, apart from old die-hard fans like us. And all that will be 'coz of GNR's more contemporary sound.

If All I Knew Was That With You I'd Want Someone To Save Me, It'd Be Enough.
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2004, 01:07:27 PM »

Its understandable, I hate Nirvana because of his confrontation with axl? hihi,oh and...because i dont like their music. Tongue
Im 22, I was 5-6 years old when AFD first came out and I remember being in front of my tv watching sweet child of mine , welcome to the jungle and paradise city and I was totally rockin' ,? hihi Imagine that, a 6 year old kid totally getting into GNR , my little friends at school used to tell me GNR was the devil? hihi use your illusion 2 was the first album I ever bought (on cassette though) Although I lived the experience through the tv screen I can say I wish I would've been at least 5 years older ...I loved the music but I didnt really understand the songs, only the choruses (english is not my native tongue). So yeah I feel like I missed something and Im looking fwd to the new GNR.
I remember the first time I heard, 'what do we got here is failure to communicate...'? smoking just awesome. And I had to turn off 'my world' because of the orgasmic sounds, I was afraid my momma heard it.
 hihi

i cant play rocket queen on my sterio out loud in my house w/ parents present because of the moaning of the hooker.. hihi

i know a girl who loves nin and she loves dave navarro but when i told her she'd like Oh my god, he dismissed it right away because axl sings in it..

although alot of people in my school dont like gnr or skid row because of the vocals but they like ac/dc and aerosmith.. how does that work? they dismiss bands just because they were labeled "80's metal"

i'm not saying that my school represents the whole youth as general but what i'm tryin to say is that a lot of kids will immediately say "the single's catchy but i dont like em" only because of a bias towards "80's metal"

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2004, 03:02:20 PM »

To have success you need 2 things:
1) Good music.
2) Promotion.
I think back in the days, the promotion of the old band was absolutely phenomenal: they were everywhere, on MTV on magazines, press, television, newspaper, on stores (remmber the GN'R tee-shirts) etc... everywhere. and the music was really great so that's why it worked and why they sold so much records and sold out stadiums all over the world.
Good music + promotion = the key of success.

I agree the old days they were everywhere, I have lkike twenty something t shirts from those days.. Back then I could go into any place that sold music to find things for gnr.. Grin
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2004, 03:31:19 PM »

although alot of people in my school dont like gnr or skid row because of the vocals but they like ac/dc and aerosmith.. how does that work? they dismiss bands just because they were labeled "80's metal"
1) Comparing Guns n' Roses to this ridiculous has-been hair-metal band called "skid row" is a crime.
2) Guns n' Roses never were "80's metal". They never were "metal". and they were much more popular in the early 90's than in the 80's.

You're wrong from A to Z.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 03:33:26 PM by nesquick » Logged

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2004, 03:34:52 PM »

1) Comparing Guns n' Roses to this ridiculous hair-metal band called "skid row" is a crime.
2) Guns n' Roses never were "80's metal". They never were "metal". and they were much more popular inn the early 90's than in the 80's.

I wouldn't compare skid row to gnr but skid row had some cool tunes, 18 n life, I remember you, youth gone wild.. I still love those songs.. There were alot of talented bands in the 80's, they just didn't get the longjevity and respect because of labels (big hair)..... It doesn't take their talent away..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: