Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:55:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Venezuela's Leader to Send Heating Oil to South Bronx
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Venezuela's Leader to Send Heating Oil to South Bronx  (Read 5747 times)
SLCPUNK
« on: November 25, 2005, 11:55:37 PM »

By JONATHAN P. HICKS
Published: November 26, 2005

A group of South Bronx residents will soon receive a large - and inexpensive - shipment of heating oil, courtesy of President Hugo Ch?vez of Venezuela, a frequent thorn in the side of the Bush administration.

Under an agreement between President Ch?vez and United States Representative Jos? E. Serrano, Citgo, the Houston-based American subsidiary of Venezuela's state-owned oil company, will provide eight million gallons of discounted home heating oil this winter to thousands of low-income residents of the South Bronx.

The populist government of the Venezuelan president is one of Latin America's most vocal critics of American-style capitalism. Mr. Ch?vez has led anti-Bush rallies in his country and has accused the United States of trying to kill him and invade his country.

The oil should start arriving late next week or early in the week of Dec. 5, Mr. Serrano, a Bronx Democrat, said in an interview yesterday. He said that the oil would be provided at 40 percent below the market rate.

"This is something that came as a result of conversations between me and President Ch?vez," Mr. Serrano said. "As part of our talk, he suggested that he wanted to ask Citgo to make home heating oil available to the poor of the South Bronx at a lower rate. I said, fine. It's something the people in the Bronx would benefit from."

Mr. Serrano said that the agreement provided "an incredible message to other oil companies."

"It tells them," he said, "that that if these people in Venezuela can share their profits with poorer communities, then they should, too."

Earlier this year, two nonprofit Massachusetts energy groups signed an agreement with Citgo to provide discounted home heating oil this winter to thousands of low-income state residents.

In that agreement, Citgo committed itself to supply more than 12 million gallons of discounted heating oil over the next four months. It will be distributed by the two nonprofit organizations, the Citizens Energy Corporation and the Mass Energy Consumer Alliance.

Mr. Serrano said that there were some challenges in fine-tuning the program in the South Bronx that were not encountered in Massachusetts.

In New York, he said, most of the low-income residents rent their apartments as opposed to being homeowners, as in Massachusetts.

The congressman added that the priority was to administer the program in such a way that the savings were passed to residents.

"In New York, most of the landlords are private landlords, and we don't really know how to get them to pass along those savings to the renters," Mr. Serrano said.

"So, with that in mind," he said, "we suggested to the president that we start off with three nonprofit affordable housing community corporations in the South Bronx."

Initially, Mr. Serrano said, the program will involve residents in about 200 apartments in the South Bronx. He added that the agreements with the nonprofit groups call for residents to receive vouchers for rent reductions and for "infrastructure and quality-of-life improvements" in the apartment buildings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/26/nyregion/26oil.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1132971554-1mOmOgrXYDUl4Pm21Vf/QQ
Surfrider
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 12:46:14 AM »

Who would you prefer leading our Country SLC, Chavez or Bush?  Just curious.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 02:30:14 AM »

I wonder why you do not comment on the article but go straight for me instead?

I also wonder why our own president could not provide cheap oil to our less fortunate?

GNRNIGHTRAIN.
Surfrider
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 02:59:20 PM »

Who would you prefer leading our Country SLC, Chavez or Bush?? Just curious.

I also wonder why our own president could not provide cheap oil to our less fortunate?

GNRNIGHTRAIN.
I wonder why you post positive things about evil dictators but refuse to ever acknowledge any postive thing done by your own President.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 08:21:38 PM »

GNRNIGHTRAIN.
I wonder why you post positive things about evil dictators but refuse to ever acknowledge any postive thing done by your own President.

Chavez is an evil dictator? Bush would like you to think he is. That way, when we go in to "liberate" them for their oil one day the stage has already been set.

There isn't really anything good to say about Bush, sorry. He sucks and so do the people who still support this lying, greedy, cynical, murdererous group of bastards.
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 12:50:23 AM »

This is a rather foolish thread.

SLC, you have purchased what Chavez was selling hook, line, and sinker.  This is all PR to help his image in America.  He doesn't give a rats ass about the poor in our country much less his own.  Just another conquistador South American leader who thrives on riling up the poor to get elected, then neglecting the same people who voted for him.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 12:53:57 AM »

Whats next SLC.  Are you going to post threads about Robert Mugabe doing something rightous for America's poor (while ignoring how much of a backwardass evil fuck up he is).

You will get in bed with anyone to get at Bush.  That my friend, is sickening and dangerous.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
SLCPUNK
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 03:09:56 AM »

This is all PR to help his image in America.  He doesn't give a rats ass about the poor in our country much less his own.  Just another conquistador South American leader who thrives on riling up the poor to get elected, then neglecting the same people who voted for him.

This is a rather foolish response.

Action speak louder then words, especially...yours.
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 03:13:07 AM »

You are blind my friend.  Chavez has played you for a fool.

gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 01:52:20 PM »

How many millions of sheep out there have the Bush Regime influenced with lies and misinformation? 
RichardNixon
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 05:54:03 PM »

How is Chavez an evil dictator? Facts please.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 10:29:41 PM »

You are blind my friend.  Chavez has played you for a fool.

How? Because he is HELPING poor people in a country he does not even rule in? If helping poor people is being an evil dictator then god damnit he is one evil dictator!  ok
SLCPUNK
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 01:17:43 AM »

How many millions of sheep out there have the Bush Regime influenced with lies and misinformation? 

Many, but the tide is a changin'. Many are jumping off the sinking boat now.

How is Chavez an evil dictator? Facts please.

I agree. Lets see some facts, thanks.

How? Because he is HELPING poor people in a country he does not even rule in?

Got that right! Since when did helping poor people become a bad thing?

Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 01:20:56 AM »

Its called PR.  To be honest, I don't even think you believe the crap that you are spewing right now.  Anything to get Bush is your modo, and you don't care who you get in bed with to achieve it.  I'd rather oppose Bush on facts than teaming up with someone like Chavez.

Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 01:24:34 AM »

This is actually a pretty fair look at him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1925236.stm

His popularity rating had fallen from a high of 80% to 30% last December, when the first mass street protests erupted.

Hmm, thats lower than Bush's now isn't it.

But Mr Chavez's "revolution" had little real impact on the lives of ordinary Venezuelans, who still suffer from chronic poverty and widespread unemployment despite the country's oil wealth.

Like I said, just another conquistador south american ruler who likes to rile up the poor to get elected, then fail to remember them when actually in office.

Edit:
On further review, he isn't as conquistador as I thought.  But, he is still incompetent as hell.  A man with a lower approval rating than Bush is your boy now.  Now that is funny.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 01:29:01 AM by Axl_owns_dexter » Logged

SLCPUNK
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 01:33:27 AM »

Anything to get Bush is your modo,

No that is your "modo" that you have placed on me to take down.

You are all a bunch of wind up dolls that attack the same way. You'll claim that I am "this" and then attack what you created.

Chavez is hardly a dictator as you claim.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 01:35:28 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 01:39:24 AM »

I'd like to know when I called Chavez a dictator.  I am calling Chavez an incompetent leader who is desperately trying to rebuild his public image.  Nice try at putting words in my mouth though.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 01:42:02 AM »

I'd like to know when I called Chavez a dictator.  I am calling Chavez an incompetent leader who is desperately trying to rebuild his public image.  Nice try at putting words in my mouth though.

OH sorry, it was GNRNIGHTRAIN.....your banter is all the same, I apologize.
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 01:43:41 AM »

This isn't banter.  I am calling you out for touting a leader who is more hated in his country than Bush is in ours.  IMO, he isn't the type of guy you want to team up with to take down Bush.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 02:05:59 AM »

This isn't banter.  I am calling you out for touting a leader who is more hated in his country than Bush is in ours.  IMO, he isn't the type of guy you want to team up with to take down Bush.

Sure it's banter.

All I did was post an article and you guys go into attack mode.

He supplied heating oil to poor people who needed it, and I posted the story.

Bush could have done the same thing for his poor people, just like Katrina, but he didn't seem to.

Pointing that out is simply pointing out fact.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: