Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:56:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The KISS Thread
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The KISS Thread  (Read 141767 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #460 on: October 21, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »

Thanks for posting can't wait to watch that.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #461 on: January 07, 2012, 02:45:56 PM »

KISS guitarist/vocalist Paul Stanley has offered the following update on the band's new album, "Monster", to the group's official web site, KissOnline.com:

"Friday [January 6] we officially completed work on the new album.

"Listening to the tracks back to back is like sensory overload. Everyone who has heard any of it is completely blown away. Powerful, heavy, melodic and epic.

"It makes us very proud. You all will be, too.

"Mixing starts next week."

The February 2012 issue of U.K.'s Classic Rock magazine features Stanley's thoughts on six songs from "Monster", which he is co-producing.

"I wasn't interested in making an album unless I was in charge and no one agreed to it half-heartedly," says Stanley. "The band's all there, all the time, and we cut the tracks all facing each other in the same room. Chemistry and camaraderie, that's essential. That's what made [2009's] 'Sonic Boom' so great, and this album is thunderously better."

"It's A Long Way Down"

Stanley: "It says that those who reach heights and don't appreciate them fall mightily ? it's a long way down from the top. It's a defining track in the sense that it's very up-tempo and very much a signature song. Eric's [Singer] drumming is incredible on this."

"Back To The Stone Age"

Stanley: "One that Gene [Simmons] sings. It's exactly what you'd expect it to be from the title. I come from a school where you write a verse, a bridge, a chorus, and then you go back. That's in my blood. It's in Motown, it's in THE BEATLES, it's in LED ZEPPELIN, it's in THE WHO, its in all my favorite bands."

"Shout Mercy"

Stanley: "That's a great track. There's a lot of tracks that could start the album, and this is one of them. I like to think that the opening song is a declaration of what the album really is, whether it's a 'Love Gun' or a 'Detroit Rock City'. It's important to start with a song that defines what you're gonna be getting."

"Out Of This World"

Stanley: "That's one of Tommy's [Thayer, guitarist.] He really pushed the limits. His playing is phenomenal. It has the kind of excitement that I like to hear where you're not quite sure if it's gonna go off the rails or not. That's what makes great rock n' roll."
"Wall Of Sound"

Stanley: "We're not trying to reinvent the wheel here; we're at our best when we don't over-think. It's not a Rubik's Cube, it's a song, you know? This one is absolutely, immediately recognisable and identifiable and true to being KISS. I put the blinders on us to keep us from being derailed or the attention span broken by things going on around us."

"Hell Or Hallelujah"

Stanley: "Another up-tempo song, and it's very definitive. That's what I think is so great about this album: every track is quintessential. No one does it better ? and many have tried. When we hit the bulls-eye, we hit it full on. We've cut 14 tracks. How many we'll use or how this will play out will be interesting, but there's no filler."

There's been no release date announced for "Monster".

Stanley admits that he's never surprised by how deep KISS' fan devotion continues to run worldwide. "It really for me, resoundingly once again, I guess validates for me why this band exists," he told The Pulse Of Radio. "It's not a tepid recreation of the past, it's really an ageless beast that dominates at will. It's timeless."

Gene Simmons told The Pulse Of Radio that despite the knocks KISS has received from the rock press over the years, that sometimes in rock n' roll, style actually makes for excellent substance. "Y'know, every few years there's a kind of born-again thing that happens with KISS, a kick in the butt," he said. "And despite the naysayers and whoever else we have long since buried in our backyards of mansions that bad reviews built us ? we all live and die by the masses. So interestingly enough, the movies that I go see, that I love, when I read the reviews, I'm shocked because I always get the sense, 'Oh, they must have seen a different movie.' So when I go see 'G.I. Joe', or 'Transformers', or some of the other great thrill-rides; This ain't Shakespeare! (Laughs) But it also doesn't pretend to be. That's not why I'm going. I wanna see the world blow up."

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #462 on: January 11, 2012, 12:20:45 AM »

Loved Sonic Boom cannot wait to get this new album.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #463 on: April 04, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »

Gene Simmons Endorses Mitt Romney on 'Fox and Friends'

KISS bassist: America 'should be run by a businessman'

Video: http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-friends/index.html#/v/1544390790001/gene-simmons-sticking-with-romney/?playlist_id=86912

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
overmatik
« Reply #464 on: April 13, 2012, 07:19:46 PM »

I didn't understand why Gene Simmons got that special award at the revolver golden gods awards instead of Kiss...  Huh
deadflowerII
« Reply #465 on: September 16, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »

i saw motley crue & KISS last night in buffalo ny.....    KISS was EPIC  4th x seeing them....the place was packed & paul sounded great!   i think i've seen CRUE to many x's ,,,even though they sounded good also...the setlist is sooooo week though. beer
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #466 on: February 23, 2014, 10:59:43 AM »

The band is getting inducted to the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame this year, but they won't be performing.

http://www.kissonline.com/news/article/id/39558

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #467 on: February 23, 2014, 06:14:49 PM »

The band is getting inducted to the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame this year, but they won't be performing.

/jarmo

Well the original Kiss won't be performing.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #468 on: February 24, 2014, 07:24:33 AM »

we have decided not to play in any line-up

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #469 on: February 24, 2014, 09:53:36 AM »

/jarmo

Well the original Kiss won't be performing.

Lol did you even bother to read the article?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #470 on: February 24, 2014, 06:10:11 PM »

I guess they changed their mind in the last 24 hours or so.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #471 on: February 24, 2014, 09:48:51 PM »

I guess they changed their mind in the last 24 hours or so.

Yeah, they mentioned that Ace's and Peter's comments warranted a quick response.

I don't doubt that Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer work hard.  But as much as Gene and Paul can kid themselves, Singer and Thayer exist in Ace's and Peter's shadows.  The band's setlist has always revolved heavily around their 70s material (recorded with the original band).  The costumes made famous by Peter and Ace are worn at every show by Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer.  What does that all suggest?  The original band that made Kiss -- no matter what they've tried since then -- has always ands will always dominate the group's identity regardless of what replacement members come along.

I can half-see Paul's desire to appreciate Eric Carr and Bruce Kulick, but really, he thinks Tommy Thayer an Eric Singer belong in the Hall of Fame as contributing members to Kiss' legacy.

What's also interesting is that Gene has bitched for years and insulted the Hall for not inducting them, and now they are.  Wonder what Gene will say in his speech?   Huh Tongue
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #472 on: February 24, 2014, 11:13:42 PM »

The way that Kiss got dicked around by the Hall and the voters all these years I am glad they are not playing.  Also why aren't Eric and Tommy getting in?  They have played on multiple successful albums over the past few years, dude from the Chili Peppers got in there after being in the band 10 seconds and I dont even know his name other than "dude from the Chili Peppers" 

Honestly I am sick and fucking tired of hearing about Peter Criss and Ace Frehely.  I am no Kiss expert but isn't the reason they are not in the band because they proved to be unreliable due to their alcohol/drug related problems?  It's Paul and Gene's band, they are the ones who keep the machine going.  People act like Gene and Paul just kicked them out of the band for no reason.  I believe they were a huge headache to deal with an brought alot of unnecessary bullshit to the band.  Like I said I am no Kiss expert, but that stuff is pretty well documented.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:16:22 PM by Bodhi » Logged
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #473 on: February 25, 2014, 10:12:05 PM »

The way that Kiss got dicked around by the Hall and the voters all these years

How did they get dicked around?  There are tons of worthy bands that have been around longer than Kiss who haven't even been nominated, let alone inducted.  You're acting like the Hall of Fame is obligated to vote Kiss (or anybody for that matter), as if they're entitled to it.  It's the HOF's show and they can vote in whomever they choose.  Like I said before, Gene has bitched forever and insulted the Hall of Fame enough times that it's a wonder they are being inducted at all.

Honestly I am sick and fucking tired of hearing about Peter Criss and Ace Frehely.  I am no Kiss expert but isn't the reason they are not in the band because they proved to be unreliable due to their alcohol/drug related problems?  It's Paul and Gene's band, they are the ones who keep the machine going.  People act like Gene and Paul just kicked them out of the band for no reason.  I believe they were a huge headache to deal with an brought a lot of unnecessary bullshit to the band.  Like I said I am no Kiss expert, but that stuff is pretty well documented.

Documented by who?  Gene Simmons?  The truth is, Ace Frehley declined to return to the band after the farewell tour ended in 2001, despite being asked to return.  Gene and Paul then turned around and firstly deceived people by using Ace's image in their promotional material, and secondly deceived people by implying that it was their choice to exclude Ace.

Like Ace, Peter was asked to return in 2003 and (unlike Ace) he did return.  His return of course was after Gene trashed him to the media yet asked Peter to return anyway.

Also why aren't Eric and Tommy getting in?  They have played on multiple successful albums over the past few years

Roll Eyes  Even if the two albums they've done had been all that successful, they are still Ace and Peter clones.  Like I said before, the overall aura of Kiss (recent albums notwithstanding) relies very heavily on their 70s look, their 70s appeal, and their 70s songs -- all of which was done with Ace and Peter, regardless of Gene's and Paul's opinions of them now.

At the end of the day, Kiss is known and made their biggest (and really only) mark during the 1970s with the original lineup with face paint and costumes.  As I said before, I can semi-see Paul's logic about including Eric Carr and Bruce Kulick because they helped keep the band going during the non-makeup years when Kiss was actually trying to re-establish themselves.  Unlike now, where they are milking the face painted cow for all it's worth.

It's amazing they are actually getting inducted anyway, because Kiss was never that great of a band even in their heyday.  The brutally honest truth is that they have always (and will always) be more known for their face paint than their songs.  You have to wonder how things would've turned out if they had never worn the paint and costumes to begin with.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:01:10 AM by Bridge » Logged
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #474 on: February 26, 2014, 05:26:38 PM »

The way that Kiss got dicked around by the Hall and the voters all these years

How did they get dicked around?  There are tons of worthy bands that have been around longer than Kiss who haven't even been nominated, let alone inducted.  You're acting like the Hall of Fame is obligated to vote Kiss (or anybody for that matter), as if they're entitled to it.  It's the HOF's show and they can vote in whomever they choose.  Like I said before, Gene has bitched forever and insulted the Hall of Fame enough times that it's a wonder they are being inducted at all.

Documented by who?  Gene Simmons?  The truth is, Ace Frehley declined to return to the band after the farewell tour ended in 2001, despite being asked to return.  Gene and Paul then turned around and firstly deceived people by using Ace's image in their promotional material, and secondly deceived people by implying that it was their choice to exclude Ace.

It's amazing they are actually getting inducted anyway, because Kiss was never that great of a band even in their heyday.  The brutally honest truth is that they have always (and will always) be more known for their face paint than their songs.  You have to wonder how things would've turned out if they had never worn the paint and costumes to begin with.

They got dicked around because based on influence alone they are a no brainer first ballot Hall of Fame band.  I don't even like the band that much, but there is not one hard rock band that came after them that doesn't list them as an influence.  Even Kurt Cobain was influenced by that band.  They changed the course of rock music with the big stage show which became a staple for all bands that followed them

All the drug problems for Peter and Ace are very well documented by society in general, and by themselves.  Especially Ace, he is just as well known for his substance abuse as he is his guitar.

The only reason it is amazing they are getting in is because the Hall is so incompetent and inconsistent when they do happen to get things right once in a while it is an amazing thing.

I don't disagree with your idea that only an essential line up should be inducted, but that is something that is impossible to enforce.  That is all a matter of opinion of the listener.  There are lots of people who prefer DJ Ashba or Robin Finck to Slash, or Tommy's playing to Ace's.    The easiest thing would be inducting everyone who ever played on a record, like Metallica did. 

On a side note I do believe Kiss's highest charting album ever was Sonic Boom that came out in 2009, with no Ace or Peter on it.
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #475 on: February 27, 2014, 11:34:50 PM »

Kiss's highest charting album ever was Sonic Boom with no Ace or Peter on it.

Almost though.  I'm sure part of that album's appeal was the fact that it included a bonus disc of "Kiss Klassics", which were all 1970s Kiss songs.  Granted, Ace's and Peter's parts were removed and then re-recorded for this release, but the point is, the inclusion of the old songs was done for commercial appeal to boost album sales, and it looks like it worked -- for initial appeal anyway.

You're right about it being the highest charting, though of course that doesn't mean album sales.  Even with the bonus tracks, Sonic Boom ultimately sold considerably less than most of their 70s albums (and 80s albums too for that matter).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:37:57 PM by Bridge » Logged
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #476 on: March 30, 2014, 01:33:25 PM »

Kiss have never again reached the sales figures they had in the seventies.  These newest releases have bombed period. 

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #477 on: March 31, 2014, 09:58:49 AM »

I'm a little sick of all this bickering between the 4 original members of kiss, and the hall saying they only want the original four to be involved...they're usually pretty open to that

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #478 on: April 02, 2014, 10:34:15 AM »

Kiss have never again reached the sales figures they had in the seventies.  These newest releases have bombed period. 

NOBODY reaches the sales figures from the 70's.  Nobody buys music anymore, they stream it on spotify, you tube etc.  Sonic Boom debuted number 2 on the Billboard Charts, and Monster debuted at number 3.  Those are the two highest charting Kiss albums ever.  The sales figures are irrelevant because there is no way to track how many people actually heard it.  The only real solid number that you can base anything off of is where the record charted.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #479 on: April 02, 2014, 02:47:43 PM »

NOBODY reaches the sales figures from the 70's.  Nobody buys music anymore, they stream it on spotify, you tube etc.  Sonic Boom debuted number 2 on the Billboard Charts, and Monster debuted at number 3.  Those are the two highest charting Kiss albums ever.  The sales figures are irrelevant because there is no way to track how many people actually heard it.  The only real solid number that you can base anything off of is where the record charted.

Lots of other factors.  It's also likely a sign of an aging fanbase that is more likely to buy a physical product because that's how they have always bought their records... unlike new artists that don't have the same advantage.  You should also consider the quality of competition the week the album was released & how long the other albums in the Top 10 have been released - it's one thing if you chart at #2 the same week Usher debuts at #3, and another thing entirely to debut at #2 when the #3 album is Adele's and has been on the chart for 40+ weeks.

Also, "where the record charted" is not the only solid number to look at... how about second week sales?  You could look at the % drop from one week to the next?  or # of weeks spent in the Top 10?  # of weeks spent in the Top 100?  Any singles released?  How did they chart? etc. etc.  All of these could be compared to their hit records from the past.

I don't know the answers, or if the abum "bombed" or not... but all those #2 & #3 chart positions mean is that Kiss has a decent-sized group of hardcore fans that will buy any album they release, not much else.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: