Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:00:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The only World Cup 2006 thread you need
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The only World Cup 2006 thread you need  (Read 186359 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2005, 08:41:11 AM »

Obviously everyone knows deep down Brazil will win...
I really don't want to think like that. Last time we did this, we lost for France... nervous

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2005, 08:42:15 AM »

I thought we were 2nd seeds, and looking at the odds in the paper we are one of the favoured teams.? Obviously everyone knows deep down Brazil will win...

England isn't even the best team in Europe. That would be Holland.? Grin

I don't have anything against England either, but you have to be realistic. It seems like the English press and the fans always have huge expectations on the team. They have some great players, like many other nations, but you need to work as a team.

Greece managed to win a championship because they worked as a team.

That seem to be a problem for many teams in a championship, among them Spain.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2005, 08:44:53 AM »

I thought we were 2nd seeds, and looking at the odds in the paper we are one of the favoured teams.? Obviously everyone knows deep down Brazil will win...

England isn't even the best team in Europe. That would be Holland.? Grin

I don't have anything against England either, but you have to be realistic. It seems like the English press and the fans always have huge expectations on the team. They have some great players, like many other nations, but you need to work as a team.

Greece managed to win a championship because they worked as a team.

That seem to be a problem for many teams in a championship, among them Spain.
Yeah but that's the thing we have the talent to do well if we work as a team, in all fairness we won't win the competition but i still believe we should get through our group.....we're not that bad? nervous are we?

Edit: Are we meant to discuss WC2006 stuff in here or the footie thread, i just noticed there's conversations in both on it...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 08:46:31 AM by Stoned » Logged
SwedeChildO'Mine
Guy in the locker, feeling like a
Rocker

W. Axl Rose - Pure talent

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2005, 08:50:19 AM »

We meet again..

Sweden are happy with this group, T & T will pick up 3 defeats, Paraguay might be a little tricky and England mostly means at least 1 point to us.

Too bad Swe-Eng will be played i Cologne, where the arena has a capacity of about 40'000 in attendence. It would be a lie to call the chances of picking up a ticket for that macth "It's So Easy".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 09:38:38 AM by SwedeChildO'Mine » Logged
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2005, 08:52:54 AM »

England and Spain will both advance. Spain has the easier group, but they will both pass. England will probably pass with 4 or 5 points as they usually do.

Talented players? yes, Lampard, Gerrard, Owen...but maybe is not enough. Spain has a very talented team as well, but we'll see if that puts us up there.

I don't think the African teams are so dangerous as people believe. People are afraid of them cause God knows what they can do. In all honesty, african teams are overrated. I've been hearing since 1994 world cup in the USA than the African teams were gonna be a major force. So far, none of than has happened. Senegal reached the quarters or semis 4 years ago but that's the farthest an african team has ever gone.

Edit.- I think we should talk about the world cup here. The other footie thread is more focused on the Premier league more than anything.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 08:55:13 AM by Ignatius » Logged
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2005, 09:16:41 AM »

Talented players? yes, Lampard, Gerrard, Owen...but maybe is not enough.
Dude.....

You forgot Rooney....

He's the guy the whole of the media over here is pinning our hopes on.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2005, 09:59:45 AM »

At least Ecuador has Poland which we played before and we know the rival, it would've been cool to play against costa rica but that's not gonna happened, and Germany is too confident they will kick our butt but I think we can win Germany Wink

No man can be my equal
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2005, 01:13:40 PM »

Talented players? yes, Lampard, Gerrard, Owen...but maybe is not enough.
Dude.....

You forgot Rooney....

He's the guy the whole of the media over here is pinning our hopes on.

You forgot Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, Ashley Cole and your captain, David Beckham.

England have the best 11 at this world cup, in my view even better than Brazil, but they can't play together! Or maybe they can, but Sven doesn't know how to make them play together.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
GnFnRs2016
Mr. Brownstone
Rocker

The best thing that you never had

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2005, 11:59:18 PM »

Group D

Mexico
Iran
Angola
Portugal

There shall be no problem for Mexico to get into the next round...  how?s Angola playing?
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2005, 12:10:49 PM »

I don't understand why most of you don't think we are good enough to win this.  We are definately one of the top 5 teams in the world, in my opinion we're the second best.  There's nothing wrong with getting excited about a World Cup, y'all should have a bit more optimism.  After all, if the country doesn't believe we could win it then how are the players meant to believe it?
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2005, 12:31:11 PM »

England have the second best team in the tournament - and thats from a Scotsman. They are good enough to win the whole thing.

However, Sven is so good at taking brilliant players and turning them in to shite that they wont. I hope.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2005, 01:32:15 PM »

No way is England better than Holland!  Tongue

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2005, 06:32:18 PM »

Yes way, dude.  I'd say the top 5 teams in the world is

Brazil
England
Holland
Argentina
Spain
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2005, 03:59:07 PM »

I think the bad thing of Brazil is the Defense only roberto carlos and lucio are quite great the rest is just not at the level of maldini or Rio Ferdinand.

No man can be my equal
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2005, 06:37:34 PM »

Brazil will always do well. First of all cause they always have a good team, have the most popular players and cause they will sell out any stadium. In the end, the world cup is a massive income machine and the more money generates, the better. The furthest Brazil advances, the more FIFA makes.

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2005, 08:49:25 PM »

Barring injuries, England could easily win this world cup. I know every major competition for the last 8 years or so we've been saying that, but seriously, look at it like this.

Name a better left back in the world than Ashley Cole.
Name a better central defense than: Terry, Campbell, Carragher, King, Ferdinand, Woodgate.
Name a better midfielder than Steven Gerrard (past or present...).
Name a single team -  international or club - that Wayne Rooney wouldn't instantly command a first team place.

People go on about how we need a holding player in the centre of midfield. That's just bullshit. Lampard and Gerrard would be any managers dream partnership. I can't think of two attacking players who cover more ground than them, and get back when the need to. Let's not forget Steven Gerrard managed to win the European Cup with Djimi Traore in it. Come on people, that's more impressive than Jeses rising from the dead.

Maybe we haven't got as much depth to our attacking play as Brazil, but we have, without a doubt, the best defense in the world. Finally we've got a goalkeeper who can catch, and has a decent haircut. With Lampard and Joe Cole on their current form, I don't think theres a team in the world that we couldn't beat.

/rant

P.S. does anyone else think Ronaldinho looks like a horse?

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
sandman
Legend

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2005, 09:17:35 AM »

holland is an exciting team. they have become a popular pick to win it.

many are saying the US got a tough draw. i'm not familiar with the teams in their group. is italy a top 5? top 10? and what about the czech republic and ghana?

i'd be interested to hear everyone's predictions for who will come out of this group.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2005, 09:36:57 AM »

Barring injuries, England could easily win this world cup. I know every major competition for the last 8 years or so we've been saying that, but seriously, look at it like this.

Name a better central defense than: Terry, Campbell, Carragher, King, Ferdinand, Woodgate.
Name a single team -? international or club - that Wayne Rooney wouldn't instantly command a first team place.

People go on about how we need a holding player in the centre of midfield. That's just bullshit. Lampard and Gerrard would be any managers dream partnership. I can't think of two attacking players who cover more ground than them, and get back when the need to. Let's not forget Steven Gerrard managed to win the European Cup with Djimi Traore in it. Come on people, that's more impressive than Jeses rising from the dead.

Maybe we haven't got as much depth to our attacking play as Brazil, but we have, without a doubt, the best defense in the world. Finally we've got a goalkeeper who can catch, and has a decent haircut. With Lampard and Joe Cole on their current form, I don't think theres a team in the world that we couldn't beat.

/rant

Agree on all points, including Ronaldinho

However Rooney would never be included in any team of mine - thats not because of his ability/or lack thereof - but i think he's a truly disgraceful human being and would not play him due to that.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2005, 09:29:11 PM »

holland is an exciting team. they have become a popular pick to win it.

many are saying the US got a tough draw. i'm not familiar with the teams in their group. is italy a top 5? top 10? and what about the czech republic and ghana?

i'd be interested to hear everyone's predictions for who will come out of this group.

Italy has won 3 world cups & always a favorite in these kind of tournaments; they are top 3. Italy plays the ugliest football (with Germany) but the manage to reach the semis / final everytime.

Czech Replublic played the Eurocup final a while ago. Strong team as well.

Ghana, don't know anything about them.

So yeah, the US has a tough group

Name a single team -  international or club - that Wayne Rooney wouldn't instantly command a first team place.

/rant

Some of you guys need a a reality check. Quite honestly, how many of you can name 4 players of any team other than England and Brazil? Saying England is the second best team is hilarious, however, this was even funnier  Name a single team -  international or club - that Wayne Rooney wouldn't instantly command a first team place.. I could give you Barcelona, Real Madrid, Milan AC, Juventus, Chelsea...that's 5 right there.

Some of you remind of me of all of us here in Spain thinking we are going to win the World Cup. I'd love for that to happen, but quite frankly, I don't see it. Also, we always lose in the quaters (same as England) despite having a great team each time, so I tried not to get too excited.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 09:37:47 PM by Ignatius » Logged
sandman
Legend

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2005, 09:31:36 AM »

i still can't believe mexico got a #1 seed. and ultimately an easy draw.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 51 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: