Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:58:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The only World Cup 2006 thread you need
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The only World Cup 2006 thread you need  (Read 186365 times)
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #980 on: July 10, 2006, 12:49:14 PM »

apperently, materazzi insulted zidane's sister as a prostitute twice during the game

still it's just trash talk..the guy is the captain and their best player and he puts himself out of the contest with minutes left? WTF? Undecided

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #981 on: July 10, 2006, 12:49:37 PM »

the penalty are not pure chance

they're very important.
finishing that way is not a disgrace, it uses different style of player, and players needs to focus and use different talent

there's a lot going on when you shoot a penalty.

during my career (ahahahha, ok shut up !) i always refused to shoot 'em and my coach hated that, but i do suck at penalties.

hahha Grin you had a "career" too?
I was actually very good at penalties, free kicks and passes.
but I never liked shooting the penalties though Grin

I never liked the golden goal. the silver goal was a bit more sensible to me.
but I think the way it is now, is they way it should be.
I hate seeing a world cup final end in a penalty shootout though, but it's extremely exciting and I don't mind it in the rounds before the final.

the match yesterday was a very good one. I just wish France had knocked in an extra goal, cos they deserved it in the second half and both the extra halfs. and I generally like France a LOT better than Italy Grin

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #982 on: July 10, 2006, 01:24:54 PM »

apperently, materazzi insulted zidane's sister as a prostitute twice during the game

You sure it wasn't that 8 year old Italian fan that stuck his tongue out at him from the stands?  nervous

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #983 on: July 10, 2006, 01:46:59 PM »

I heard Materazzi insulted his mother.  Whatever he said, it's absolutely pathetic.  I almost don't blame Zidane - except for the fact that he let his entire country down...

risk serious injury?? that makes no sense to me. how does playing for a long time put you at risk of "SERIOUS" injury?

Their legs will falls off, obviously. Tongue
gnrhamm
Rocker

I Hate Everyone

« Reply #984 on: July 10, 2006, 02:04:25 PM »

I heard Materazzi insulted his mother.? Whatever he said, it's absolutely pathetic.? I almost don't blame Zidane - except for the fact that he let his entire country down...

risk serious injury?? that makes no sense to me. how does playing for a long time put you at risk of "SERIOUS" injury?

Their legs will falls off, obviously. Tongue

It dosen't matter what Materazzi said. It's trash talk and it happens in all sports on all levels. Zidane should be use to it as all players should be. How would he react on an NBA court or and NFL field. All they do is trash talk. No one seemed to care what was said to Totti during the last Euro to provoke him to spit in someone's face. He did it and was punished and he deserved to be. Zidane deserved what he got. He is a great player but has done similar things in the past. He was sent off in the 98 world cup and recieved a 3 game ban for stomping on someones legs. He also was sent off during Champions league against Deporivo, for, if my memory serves me correct, another head-butt.
As far as the penalty shots, I don't like them but they are a fact of the game. Italy have been on the losing end of them many times including the final against Brazil in 94.
Although France played more aggressive in the 2nd half and extra time, they did not nessesarily play better. There are 2 sides to the game of soccer. Offensive and defensive. Remember Greece's deffensive play won them the last Euro. One can say that Italy played a better defensive game and France played a better offensive one.
The ball is round - shit happens!

Viva L'italia - Campioni Del Mondo! 4 Stars!

Why don't you just....
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #985 on: July 10, 2006, 02:10:10 PM »

it doesnt matter in the slightest what matterazzi said, any player should be above it, especially a country's captain and even more Zidane.

There is no excuse for his actions.

Still, i'd like to no what he said.
Shoco
VIP

« Reply #986 on: July 10, 2006, 02:19:27 PM »

just read that zidane was sent off more times in his career than roy keane
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #987 on: July 10, 2006, 02:22:41 PM »

it doesnt matter in the slightest what matterazzi said, any player should be above it, especially a country's captain and even more Zidane.

A lip reader has told a BBC Radio reporter in Rome that they reckon Zidane was called a terrorist and told to play for the country he was born in (Algeria).

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #988 on: July 10, 2006, 02:37:32 PM »

A lip reader has told a BBC Radio reporter in Rome that they reckon Zidane was called a terrorist and told to play for the country he was born in (Algeria).

Actually it seems he was born in France... i always thought he was from Algerian but the latest re-write of history has him as the son of an Algerian immigrant

Fair do's....

Overall it was....well....a pretty weak world cup

Maybe i just have too high standards - but most of those games had barely a handful of chances, and no one excelled - where was the stunning young players exploding from obscurity? Where was the new wonderkids?

And all those red cards.....

..but its the total lack of chances or attacking football that bothered me most
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 02:40:14 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #989 on: July 10, 2006, 02:42:33 PM »

Lol - the camera was far to far away to make out more than a word or two at the most, u just couldn't see his mouth clearly enough

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #990 on: July 10, 2006, 02:46:03 PM »

Maybe i just have too high standards - but most of those games had barely a handful of chances, and no one excelled - where was the stunning young players exploding from obscurity? Where was the new wonderkids?

If David Beckham had have snapped a metatarsal or two you would have got that from Aaron Lennon... Instead he was relegated to a cameo. That said, it was clear last season that he can't keep it up for ninety minutes yet which, of course, given his age isn't a criticism.

As far as the World Cup being a let down, as my dad's generation keep telling me, world cups are always let downs...... I guess we just expect far too much.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #991 on: July 10, 2006, 02:46:40 PM »

Lol - the camera was far to far away to make out more than a word or two at the most, u just couldn't see his mouth clearly enough

That's what I thought, anyway Zidane has told his agent he'll reveal all in the next few days.

Give Peace A Chance...
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #992 on: July 10, 2006, 04:19:15 PM »

Zidane's gonna have to come up with a bit more than just "sorry" isn't he!  Fuck knows what he'll say, I don't think he can say anything that'll help his cause as it was a stupid thing he did.

Re: penalties
I think penalties are a good way of settling a cup game, no matter how big or small.  It's a great climax, it puts people through such high emotion, and surely that's what you want as a fan?  Clearly spanking a team is a better way to beat them but I think neutrals had a lot to enjoy in this World Cup final, owing largely to the fact there was a shoot-out.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #993 on: July 10, 2006, 05:12:37 PM »

Zidane's gonna have to come up with a bit more than just "sorry" isn't he!  Fuck knows what he'll say, I don't think he can say anything that'll help his cause as it was a stupid thing he did.

Considering the reception he got in France today and the French President calling him a genius, I don't actually think Zidane has to say anything.

To be honest, I reckon there are some people in France who are glad that he 'stuck one on' Materazzi.

Give Peace A Chance...
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #994 on: July 10, 2006, 08:14:54 PM »

First of all,? ?I would like to say GO ITALY!!? ?BEST SOCCERSOCCER SOCCER team? in the world . I would also like to say that American Sports? own you bitches .? ?All you have is soccer.? ?There is never a time in america? where there isn't a Professional sport going on.? What other sports do you people have besides soccer?? What else is there when Soccer season ends??? ?Soccer=? a sport that celebrates? divers? and cheaters .? In america? any athlete that fakes an injury? is looked? at as a bitch? ,? that kind of behavior is not accepted in American sports.? ?I don't understand? why that shit is encouraged? in international soccer.? maybe you can give me an intelligent response to that question .? ?Anyway ,? I am glad that? Italy won but this? ?probably was the? worst World Cup I have ever seen? and I have watched all of them since Mexico 86' .

You'd be a fool to judge Football by International matches, if that's what you've done. Even if there weren't other sports when the Football season ends, Football alone is far and above most other sports in the world, as far as most sports fans in the UK are concerned. It's considered far and above American Football, Baseball...you name it, so we're hardly left feeling unsatisfied. How much league Football have you watched? Excluding MLS, because that's no match for European leagues.

There is a lot of play-acting in Football, and it's frustrating as hell. I'm very upset with Zidane, and the various other players that have tarnished the image of the game over the last month or so. Play-acting is not universally encouraged, but I do get the impression that within certain teams the players do encourage each other to do it sometimes. It's hard to think of a way to put a stop to it. It contributed to semi-ruining this World Cup, along with the refereeing and disappointing individual and team performances.

In response to your question about what other sports we have...well, I'm playing Cricket tonight. The nationwide feeling when England won The Ashes last year was fantastic, and many people were drawn in by it. In case you're not aware, The Ashes is a Cricket competition held between Australia and England. Australia normally win.

America probably does have a larger number of popular sports, for all I know, but then it also has a few more million people than most countries do. For the record though, here in the UK we do also have Rugby League, Rugby Union, Horse Racing, Golf, Tennis (notably Wimbledon), Snooker, Squash, Hockey, Sailing...etc. There are American Sports here too, such as Basketball and Ice Hockey. Not many people really care about them though, compared to how people care about Football. We're not forced into following Football, we choose to because it is an excellent sport and we love it. I'll grant you that a few of the sports I've mentioned are ones I don't particularly enjoy, but the point is that they are there for others to enjoy, watch and participate in. Only in your somewhat ignorant view does American sport 'own' us 'bitches'. I personally don't feel owned, and I don't feel unsatisfied with the sporting entertainment that is made available here. By the way, American Football and Baseball both owe their development to sports played in Britain, which I find mildly ironic Wink

its called soccer in my country, so get off your fucking high horse.

Precisely. I never realised people really took this issue so seriously... I'm English but come on guys, it's not that important what other people wanna call the sport. I'm sure there are plenty of other more worthwhile things to worry about. I plan to carry on calling it Football, but I'm not going to worry too much if other people want to call it Soccer. I don't see why I'd want to bother.

good post -  more than the post that prompted it deserved

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #995 on: July 10, 2006, 09:29:55 PM »

the problem is that there is no better way to finish it. if you or anyone else can think of a better way to finish a game of football then Sepp Blatter and i would love to hear it.

penalty kick are unfortunate but its the way it has to be. and england are awful at them.

why not just play the actual game until there is a winner?

also, the entire OT should be sudden death (i.e. first goal wins, game over).

risk of serious injury increases over time and is unpractical in a tournament like the world cup where there is a short amount of time. this is not a dig at american sports, but football is compeltly unlike them in the cardiovascular stakes.

as for sudden death, it was tried. we called it golden goal. it was universally seen as the gheyest rule since, well, ever. its completly outwith the spirit of the game. there's nobility in penalties that a sudden death goal just doesnt have.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #996 on: July 11, 2006, 06:53:01 AM »

now i understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKGcUr0S-FU&search=materazzi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #997 on: July 12, 2006, 09:31:34 AM »

that was awesome.

he's a cheapshot artist, but it paid off for him. he got under zidane's skin and he lost his cool, which you could argue cost france the title.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #998 on: July 12, 2006, 02:59:48 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5169342.stm

Zinedine Zidane has apologised for the headbutt on Italy's Marco Materazzi which earned him a red card in Sunday's World Cup final penalty shoot-out loss.

The France legend did not reveal what Materazzi said, but claimed it was "very personal" and concerned his mother and his sister.

"I want to ask for forgiveness from all the children who watched," Zidane said.

Materazzi responded to the French TV interview with a statement again denying insulting Zidane's mother.

Zidane was sent off for headbutting Materazzi in the chest in the second period of extra-time in Sunday's final in Berlin.

Italian defender Materazzi, who scored the equaliser on Sunday, said: "I didn't mention anything about religion, politics or racism.

"I didn't insult his mother. I lost my mother when I was 15 years old and still get emotional when I talk about it.

"Naturally, I didn't know that his mother was in hospital but I wish her all the best.

"Zidane is my hero and I have always admired him a lot."

Zidane appeared on French TV station Canal Plus to explain his actions.

He refused to say sorry to Materazzi and said he did not regret what he did after being provoked by the insults.

"You hear those things once and you try to walk away," said Zidane, who retired from football after the final in Berlin.

"That's what I wanted to do because I am retiring. You hear it a second time and then a third time.

"This was not something to do. I want to make it clear because it was watched by two billion people and by millions of kids.

"I want to apologise to them but I can't regret what I did because it would mean that he (Materazzi) was right to say what he said."

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
SWINGTRADER
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #999 on: July 12, 2006, 04:44:59 PM »

The new FiFa  rankings are in  and as usual  it is a fuckin joke .   1. Brasil  2. Italy 3.  Argentina. 4. France 5. England

How the fuck is Brasil still number 1 ??  I thought the winner of a world cup would automatically get #1 spot.   I also don't agree with Argentina at #3 . I think germany should have that slot because  they are an awesome  young team  that I think will be a heavy favorite  in 2010.  I also think they will win the next Euro Cup even though I think Klinsman resigning might hurt the team's chances.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: