Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:31:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  If Use Your Illusion was one album (your tracklist)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If Use Your Illusion was one album (your tracklist)  (Read 183972 times)
Michelle
Miss Agreeable Austrian
Legend

Axl's Girl

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2003, 06:36:21 PM »

I would never wanna miss Double Talkin' Jive... I'll try but I think I won't be able to manage to make one UYI cd but let's see:

(no particular order)

Right Next Door To Hell
Dust N'Bones
Perfect Crime
Live And Let Die
Don't Cry
Double Talkin' Jive
November Rain
Garden Of Eden
Dead Horse
Coma
Civil War
Yesterdays
Breakdown
Estranged
Locomotive
Pretty Tied Up
You Could Be Mine

Well, as you can see it doesn't really work for me and the songs that I now left out - I still wouldn't wanna miss them. And honestly I don't think that it would have made the Illusions better than Appetite if they were on one CD.

It's a miracle how long we can stay in a world our mind's created, in a world that's full of shit - Coma
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2004, 04:24:50 PM »

could UYI have been one the greatest albums of all time if gnr pulled a led zepplin and only made an album 8 or 9 songs.

Just think of UYI was this track listing.

civil war
coma
Dont Cry
pretty tied up
Nov rain
breakdown
locomotive
estranged
ycmb

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
madagas
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2004, 04:29:47 PM »

civil war-double talkin jive-nov rain-don't damn me-estranged-breakdown-dust n' bones-locomotive-coma. An album of epics and a few Izzy tunes!
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2004, 04:35:42 PM »

could UYI have been one the greatest albums of all time if gnr pulled a led zepplin and only made an album 8 or 9 songs.

Just think of UYI was this track listing.

civil war
coma
Dont Cry
pretty tied up
Nov rain
breakdown
locomotive
estranged
ycmb

I will go on record as saying i believe the double UYI albums ARE the greatest albums ever released

I once believed the albums were blighted by filler.....then i really listened. Every track on there (except My world) is pure genius.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2004, 04:36:48 PM »

The album is best as is.

Maybe it could have lost a few songs ("Bad Apples," "My World," "Bad Obsession") but theres always going to be someone whose favorite song would have been cut.  I guarantee everybodys 10 song track-listings would be wildly different.

As a complete album, it might not work as good as it could have.  But as a collection of songs, its as good as possible and thats even better as far as Im concerned.
madagas
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2004, 04:39:34 PM »

Well, we pretty much got the a sides, b sides and some c sides! They almost cleared the shelves. However, Get in the Ring is a complete embarrassment to the band. They did not have to stoop that low.
loretian
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2004, 04:40:49 PM »

The album is best as is.

Maybe it could have lost a few songs ("Bad Apples," "My World," "Bad Obsession") but theres always going to be someone whose favorite song would have been cut.  I guarantee everybodys 10 song track-listings would be wildly different.

As a complete album, it might not work as good as it could have.  But as a collection of songs, its as good as possible and thats even better as far as Im concerned.

I agree.  I like the albums the way they are.  Everybody likes different songs off them, I mean, personally, I love Bad Apples, but a lot of people see it as filler.  I'd hate to miss out on most of the songs on UYI.

Besides, Led Zep songs sound a lot more similar to each other than those songs listed... I just don't think it'd flow that well, and it would become too tiring to listen to about half way through.
darkmonth
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2004, 04:43:36 PM »

The album is best as is.

No Way!  I fuckin love Bad Apples!  hehe.... the albums are perfect as they are... how can anyone say an album should have less songs? I dont get that... I love all the songs... but if you dont like the songs... skip them, and be pleased you got value for money considering you got all those songs... !!!
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2004, 04:45:28 PM »

However, Get in the Ring is a complete embarrassment to the band. They did not have to stoop that low.

You see, this is why abridging the album would have been a bad idea...

I like "Get In The Ring"...Warranted or not, Axls venom on that song is certainly entertaining, and the track itself is very catcy.  I could have done without some of the vocal touches and production effects (I would have liked to hear a more raw version), but a good song either way.
raoxsle
Banned
Rocker

Raoxsle is dead. You may call me....The Joker.

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2004, 07:53:39 PM »

We come back to the same problem, everyone's track preferences would be different.

The reason the band included just about every song they had written is they weren't sure how long they would be together.  The Illusion sessions themselves were a hurdle to get over.

Hence, GN'R fans got two records - somewhat similar to the Beatles' White Album.

"There's no difference between me and everyone else. All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.&am
AxlsPiano
Rocker

Rock N Roll Will Return

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2004, 08:40:45 PM »

Maybe it could have lost a few songs ("Bad Apples," ....

Noooo! I love bad apples! I think that its one of the best bluesy songs on those albums. I love the verses too.

This is another example, though, of how everyone has different tastes. So many people love the song Double Talkin jive, but its really a song i dont like at all. The only thign i like about it is the spanish guitar solo, and how they extend it all on the UYI tour. It's really good then, but the actual song I think sucks.
Reinaldo
Rocker

"O.K., Nevermind!"

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2004, 09:33:06 PM »

I almost agree with you Dave, it could?ve been even more successful (but not the greates t album of all time, not better than AFD) if it was only one album plus a bonus CD (that could come with a special edition of UYI or sold separatly) including all the other tracks that stayed out of it... In fact, even that wouldn?t be necessary, if they'd put those songs in the singles... And I think that's Axl's intension to Chinese Democracy, at least from everything he said up to now (that thing that CD would have 16-18 tracks plus others in its singles, remember?)!

About the zepplin cover song, I think TSI could?ve also be a HUGE album if it was not only a punk cover (although I don?t hear anything of punk rock in "Since I Don?t Have You"). It could also include the cover songs of the illusions (that?s why I didn?t included them down here)... I'll post a new topic about this specific subject...
( http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9625 )

Use Your Illusion... Revisited:

01. Civil War
02. Right Next Door to Hell
03. You Could Be Mine
04. Double Talkin Jive
05. November Rain
06. Shotgun Blues
07. Yesterdays
08. Estranged
09. Don?t Damn Me
10. Don?t Cry
11. Coma
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 10:50:32 PM by Reinaldo » Logged

RIR 2001 - Porto Alegre 2010 - RIR 2011 - Rio de Janeiro 2014 & 2016 - RIR 2022
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2004, 09:41:34 PM »

I agree with you Dave, it could?ve been even more successful if it was only one album plus a bonus CD (that could come with a special edition of UYI or sold separatly)

yeah... that would work fine....
Buy Use Your Illusion! the fine album of GNR! and if you like it, buy the extra separate bonus CD! Use you ilusions 2!!  ok (its the same shit..)

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Reinaldo
Rocker

"O.K., Nevermind!"

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2004, 09:51:36 PM »

I agree with you Dave, it could?ve been even more successful if it was only one album plus a bonus CD (that could come with a special edition of UYI or sold separatly)

yeah... that would work fine....
Buy Use Your Illusion! the fine album of GNR! and if you like it, buy the extra separate bonus CD! Use you ilusions 2!!  ok (its the same shit..)

Don?t think it?s the same thing because both illusions have amazing great songs, and both illusions have "not that much great" songs.

In the case I?m exposing, the main CD would have the really great songs, and the other would be only the B-sides, which not everyone would be interested to buy... that's just utopia, man! Fact: the illusions are out there released the way they are and there?s no way to go back (unless uncle Axl re-record it with the new band and etc... but that?s a looong, long trip).

RIR 2001 - Porto Alegre 2010 - RIR 2011 - Rio de Janeiro 2014 & 2016 - RIR 2022
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2004, 11:01:41 PM »

i agree with booker!

think about it, gnr made 3 full length cds, 3 of the greatest cds of all time

see now why i dont doubt axl and C.D.?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Fuckin' Gunner
Kamikaze
Rocker

nightrain.cjb.net

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2004, 11:05:11 PM »

I think that if they put hust the best songs, they could have time to work in the other songs (I agree that all UYI songs are great) and make them, a classic too. In IYU there's a lot of songs with amazing potential that could be realy better (Pefect Crime, Locomotive, Shotgun Blues, Breakdown (I love this one), Dust N' Bones...). So, this would be my tracklist:

01. You Could be Mine
02. Civil War
03. Pretty Tied Up
04. Don't Cry
05. The Garden
06. Dead Horse
07. Don't Damm Me
08. November Rain
09. Estranged
10. Perfect Crime ('cause if they've worked in less songs at that time, this song would be a TOP 5 all time in GN'R songs)

The covers would be on TSI.

Stay Tuned for news and information on Chinese Democracy coming soon.
[posted 3/9/2003 U.S.A.]

Nightrain - O site mais perigoso do planeta
Fuckin' Gunner
Kamikaze
Rocker

nightrain.cjb.net

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2004, 11:08:51 PM »

And I don't think they'd release B-sides with the other songs, they'd make another CD after spending more time working with the other songs and Crash Diet on CD...

Stay Tuned for news and information on Chinese Democracy coming soon.
[posted 3/9/2003 U.S.A.]

Nightrain - O site mais perigoso do planeta
ktucker450
Rocker

Don't follow my footsteps, i walk into poles

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2004, 11:10:15 PM »

I think it could be, but definitely not with that track listing, in my opinion itd be this:

1. Civil War
2. You Could Be Mine
3. Yesterdays
4. Don't Cry
6. November Rain
7. Knockin on Heaven's Door(my fav gnr song ever, even tho its a cover they made that song kick some major ass)
8. Estranged
9. Back off Bitch
10. Coma
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2004, 12:19:37 AM »

I think it could be, but definitely not with that track listing, in my opinion itd be this:

1. Civil War
2. You Could Be Mine
3. Yesterdays
4. Don't Cry
6. November Rain
7. Knockin on Heaven's Door(my fav gnr song ever, even tho its a cover they made that song kick some major ass)
8. Estranged
9. Back off Bitch
10. Coma

It's a valid thought, but I don't think the overall material (no matter what 10 tracks you pick) could garner that kind of acclaim.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
providman
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2004, 01:14:41 AM »

I think they should have worked on it(them) for 10 or 11 more years than it would have been even better Grin Grin Grin(I know, I'm just being a prick hihi).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: