Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 02:08:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The "lost" Gn'R album??
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "lost" Gn'R album??  (Read 26214 times)
madagas
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2006, 12:56:02 PM »

I'd rather have none of them beer back on topic, I highly doubt there was one note of vocals on any of these lost recordings. If there was, it was just scratch vocals. Angry
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2006, 12:59:09 PM »

I'd rather have none of them beer back on topic, I highly doubt there was one note of vocals on any of these lost recordings. If there was, it was just scratch vocals. Angry

haha fair enough....there are some pretty highly sought after rough demos with those scratch vocals, and if these ever surface I'm sure they'd be at the top of that list peace and if they are in axl's "vault" then there is always a chance hihi

madagas
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2006, 01:14:21 PM »

ps I like Gilby...think he is a funny guy. His comments on Behind the Music were priceless. I just think him and Slash weren't really a good combo-too much alike. To me, they sounded too tight-almost like Gilby was playing the same riffs whereas Izzy was loose and doing his own thing. Undecided Cool
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2006, 01:43:56 PM »

no, no basically there were 3 guitar players by the time "Sympathy For the Devil"? was released ((mid-late 1994): Slash, Gilby and Paul Huge.
YES, Paul Huge played on this song.
Gilby said a short time after he would never agree to play in a 3 guitar players band. He hated that idea. Slash hated that idea too.
I tell you, Axl brang SHIT in the band when he hired Tobias.?Both Slash and Gilby really didn"t like that freaking idea (epecially Slash). They both said it in interviews back in the days.
That's why since day one, i've never liked this 3 guitar players thing: I'm afraid the History can repeat itself with this new line-up. You know... I think it's a bad idea. It creates ego problems.

Bands have had 3 guitar players before and it has worked out fine, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Iron Maiden being the 2 most obvious examples.

There is no such word as "brang." I think the word you're searching for is "brought" and frankly, none of us know if that is true or not. It's all based in speculation. Bottom line, there were personality issues, and it didn't work out over the long haul. That happens when people work closely together for an extended period of time.

For the record, I would like to hear the songs recorded during this time as much as anyone else, but I don't spend much time thinking about it because hearing them sounds like a long shot at best.
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2006, 01:46:37 PM »

As the legal owner of the GNR name, would Axl have the authority to delete these tapes, or would they reside in Geffen's vaults?  If the answer is the former, I would imagine that this musical magic vanished long ago.
madagas
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2006, 01:49:04 PM »

I would say that Axl has ALL the recordings since he was always working on the album-no matter who was in the band. He doesn't own them but I would think he has all the tapes.... Huh
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2006, 01:52:05 PM »

In that case, I believe we've got a lost cause here, and it's really unfortunate.  It's obvious that without Slash, that blues based rock boogie will never be making a return to GNR.  Truth is, as much as I adore the new band, I could use a bit of that right about now, even if the tracks were all instrumental.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2006, 02:32:37 PM »

no, no basically there were 3 guitar players by the time "Sympathy For the Devil"? was released ((mid-late 1994): Slash, Gilby and Paul Huge.
YES, Paul Huge played on this song.
Gilby said a short time after he would never agree to play in a 3 guitar players band. He hated that idea. Slash hated that idea too.
I tell you, Axl brang SHIT in the band when he hired Tobias.?Both Slash and Gilby really didn"t like that freaking idea (epecially Slash). They both said it in interviews back in the days.
That's why since day one, i've never liked this 3 guitar players thing: I'm afraid the History can repeat itself with this new line-up. You know... I think it's a bad idea. It creates ego problems.

Bands have had 3 guitar players before and it has worked out fine, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Iron Maiden being the 2 most obvious examples.

There is no such word as "brang." I think the word you're searching for is "brought" and frankly, none of us know if that is true or not. It's all based in speculation. Bottom line, there were personality issues, and it didn't work out over the long haul. That happens when people work closely together for an extended period of time.

For the record, I would like to hear the songs recorded during this time as much as anyone else, but I don't spend much time thinking about it because hearing them sounds like a long shot at best.

Yes, it's "brought" not "brang" indeed. My grammar is not always perfect. Tongue

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
liesin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2006, 02:56:20 PM »

if any of that olschool gnr material ever surfaced the would indeed be great but as you said the chance of that is rather small.

If axl has got his hands on them i guess we woun't see them before he is thrue with his active music career.
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »

I think Axl wants to move forward and not focus on the old band and old material.

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2006, 04:28:48 PM »

I think Axl wants to move forward and not focus on the old band and old material.

It's high time since he hasn't released an album since 1991.

BTW I have to correct nesquick: Gilby was fired months (I'd say half a year) before Paul really came into the picture. But as far as we know Axl, it's a high possibility that he fired Gilby to make room for Paula.

About the Slash/Gilby duo: it's absolutely untrue that Gilby played almost the same Slash did. Listen to the first Snakepit record: the guitars compare each other, it's very similiar to AFD, unlike the UYI twins where wasn't too much collaboration between Slash and Izzy and the songs suffered it.

Back to the topic: I think a lot of quotes from the band members made it clear that they had material, that should have been enough for more than one album. I'd add to the conversation that as far as I know Steve Jones was supposed to be a guest player on the UYI-follow-up, but the things he had done with the band landed on the Neurotic album.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2006, 06:28:55 PM »

I haven't read through this but an interesting thread. damn good job sic. ok
axl wrote like 7 materials with paul then?
maybe OMG and some of the songs played live in 2002?
Tommy told about as how he checked the mixed songs..some of which dated back to the old era.
and wasn't this i love supposed to be on cd?
I bet we'll hear many of them on the upcomming albums. yes
madagas
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2006, 06:42:17 PM »

Well, Mikka, if you are trying to say that the guitar work on Snakepit matches the UYI albums, then we are on two different planets. Roll Eyes Sure, there are some tasty Slash licks, but overall, the album is shit and the interplay between guitarists is shit. To each his own I guess. I am just not a fan of Gilby...don't think he is fit to hold Izzy's jock in any capacity.  ok
31illusions
I am the coolest guy I know
Rocker

Axl, slash, duff, izzy & steven. The true GN'R!

« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2006, 10:30:40 PM »

I have an old news report on video tape from MTV back in '96-97 (when slash left the band,) where kurt loader reads a letter written by axl. that says there is (about) 13 new tracks and (about) 8 b-sides to be released within a year.? so for this to be even remotely true there must have been many tracks already started or somewhat complete.

I also read an magazine interview with duff, where the reporter asked about the unfinished songs from CD before he left. Duff said thoses songs weren't finished (so they must have been started) and that he hopes that "contraband" would satisfy people becuse the CD album was never finished.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 10:39:11 PM by 31illusions » Logged

There you go, negative karma for you for being a troll. I'll give gandra negative karma as well. Happy now?  Next time you try this behavior will be the last. keep that in mind.

/jarmo
Amish
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2006, 07:09:55 AM »

I know this is a bit off topic, but this conversation has strayed so much, it covers everything.

Imagine if Axl had become the rhythm guitarist.  If they went on tour, he would have to sing and play, and we'd have no more of Axl's classic stage moves.  The energy would be gone.  Unless he just played on the album and they hired a touring guitarist, of course.  Smiley
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2006, 09:23:51 AM »

It's high time since he hasn't released an album since 1991.

BTW I have to correct nesquick...

While we're on corrections; 1991 wasn't the last time a GNR record was released.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
eddiesson
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2006, 09:30:58 AM »

I'm a longtime fan of Iron Maiden, I can say that 3 guitars don't add anything new to Iron Maiden, except for a (unnecessarily) powerful guitar sound, which eliminates most of the elegance in the Iron Maiden sound. They have 3 guitarist not because of necessity, but because they couldn't fire Janick Gers who stayed with the band for +10 years, when Adrian came back.

Iron Maiden guitarists don't have personal or musical pursuits as much as any GNR guitarist had.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2006, 11:30:41 AM »

Iron Maiden guitarists don't have personal or musical pursuits as much as any GNR guitarist had.

very true eddieson. Although I'm not a fan of Iron Maiden (I like a couple of their songs), I recognize they are a great band and they have made a great career. They have 3 guitar players, alright. But none of them are "recognized" as unique guitar player. Maybe they would if each of them played in a 2 guitar players band. They are all very good, but the truth is that they don't shine enough to get a full musical and artistic recognizion, they just "eat" each other in Iron Maiden, because none of them have enough space, just like in the newGNR.

The more players you have, the less they can shine and express their indivudual talent. In fact, you have much more to loose with 3 guitar players (ego conflicts, under-exploited and under-rated players in the band, few recognizion etc...) than to gain (a fuller sound, but it's stupid because basically a 2nd Keyboardist can do that, it's his job!).

Seriously, look at Fortus, this is a shame he plays so few lead parts. He is trully under-exploited.
When you have 2 keyboards, you don't need 3 guitar players.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 11:43:10 AM by nesquick » Logged

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2006, 11:45:07 AM »

One of the most basic rock bands around these days, Pearl Jam, use both a keyboard player and third guitar player (whenever Eddie picks up a guitar).

The more players you have, the less they can shine and express their indivudual talent.

If they want to "express their individual talent", there can go solo. It's a band for fuck's sake.

If it's best for the band to have three guitar players, then that's what you do.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2006, 11:53:27 AM »

Jarmo:
1) as you said, there is one keyboard player in pearl jam. One. Not two. It changes everything. Do you know that Pittman plays guitar parts with his keyboard? yes, he plays guitar. So the newGNR needs reall 3 guitar players now? so it's like FOUR guitar parts onstage? well... don't you think it's a little bit "too much"?
2) Ediie plays guitar on a few songs. Most of the time he sings, just like Axl. Plus he plays rythm guitar, he is not a Lead guitar player. You don't see the guitar solos played by 3 guys in the same song.

Jarmo, I have an idea: I know you reproach me to talk about this 3 guitar players thing on lots of thread. So let's do something: Do you want me to create a unique thread for that? it will avoid to bring this subject on every thread. Just a unique thread where people could debate about that.
Tell me if you agree with that idea. Thanks.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: