Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:13:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228062 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Succesful Bands That Time Forgot
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Succesful Bands That Time Forgot  (Read 14298 times)
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2005, 06:55:13 PM »

I'm gonna add a british band called James. No one has ever talked about this band here.

They achived some level of success in late 80's / early 90's. Some of their songs are amongst the very best of british pop music. I highly recommend a few tracks; Laid, Sit down and She's a Star. If you can get their Best of, buy/steal/download it. It's a great compilation.

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2005, 07:03:40 PM »

I'm gonna add a british band called James. No one has ever talked about this band here.

They achived some level of success in late 80's / early 90's. Some of their songs are amongst the very best of british pop music. I highly recommend a few tracks; Laid, Sit down and She's a Star. If you can get their Best of, buy/steal/download it. It's a great compilation.
Awesome band dude, glad you like them, i was a big fan when i was a kid, last year at university my mate did me a compelation of their stuff and it rocks!  Great acoustic band as well, i'd love to get an all acoustic version of their greatest hits!
To add to your great track recommendations, also check out Destiny Calling, awesome stuff! First Pixies/Frank Black, now James, you have great taste sir ok
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2005, 07:21:26 PM »

Yes, I have to say I'm quite impressed with your taste as well. I thought you were more of a metal fan a while back, but you've proven me wrong with the Pixies and now James!

Still interested in those Frank Black tunes we talked about a month or so ago?
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2005, 07:26:23 PM »

Yes, I have to say I'm quite impressed with your taste as well. I thought you were more of a metal fan a while back
Well i'm mainly cheesy hair metal but i do have other tastes, stoner rock, bit of 60s and bands who just happen to be damn good.  James are great because they had the ability to write good catchy songs, with quality lyrics without having to lower themselves to sounding like much of the commercial bollocks and managing to also avoid sounding morbid and annoying like most indie bands....

Still interested in those Frank Black tunes we talked about a month or so ago?
Indeed i am.  I've had my cheesy downloads for the month (Warrant, Quiet Riot etc....) so i feel like something different Grin.....
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2005, 10:20:29 AM »

I totally like that band specially say something  ok

No man can be my equal
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2005, 06:46:29 AM »

whoever said INXS was definitly spot on. until the show i hadn't even heard of em.

The Beach Boys for sure.

GN'R even to some extent is forgotten.

gnrevolution.com
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2005, 12:43:56 PM »

Kiss for sure.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
RichardNixon
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2005, 06:14:45 PM »

KISS? No freakin' way.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2005, 06:25:44 PM »

Silverchair

Haven't heard anything from them in a long time.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2005, 06:32:54 PM »

KISS? No freakin' way.

Over here they slipped off the radar - though its dubious that they were ever really there.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2005, 06:39:16 PM »

Cool and the Gang

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2005, 07:07:52 PM »

The Black Crowes. An amazing band, with three amazing first records. In the late 90's the kinda faded away. Some blame Kate Hudson for the break up. Chris Robinson solo stuff was shit (So I heard).

Now are we talking about successful bands or good successful bands?

Anybody remember The Spin Doctors? they achieved massive success with that hit "if you" in the early nineties. I happened to live in America at the time, and all I'd hear on the radio was that song.

RichardNixon
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2005, 07:59:40 PM »

I liked the Spin Doctors, but they get kind of irritating.
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2005, 08:13:19 PM »

I totally forgot about Spin Doctors too - I can't even think of one of their songs right now.  Undecided

Why don't you just....
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2005, 08:33:17 PM »

Anybody remember The Spin Doctors? they achieved massive success with that hit "if you" in the early nineties. I happened to live in America at the time, and all I'd hear on the radio was that song.
It was called Two Princes wasn't it?
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2005, 08:37:37 PM »

Yes!!  I think the other that I was thinking of was something like "little Miss can't be wrong" or something like that.

Why don't you just....
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2005, 08:50:52 PM »

Yes!!? I think the other that I was thinking of was something like "little Miss can't be wrong" or something like that.
Yeah....

Got this from....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_Doctors

The Spin Doctors is a jam band from New York City, best known for its 1992 hits, "Two Princes" and "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong". Two Princes has had some continuous popularity since its release, having a brief appearance years later on an episode of Futurama. The album, Pocket Full of Kryptonite, sold poorly until MTV and radio began playing the songs. The album eventually went gold, and then received another boost in sales after the band's appearance on SNL(Saturday Night Live) in October of 1992, ultimately selling five million copies in the in the United States.

The original members are Chris Barron (lead vocals), Eric Schenkman (guitar and vocals), Aaron Comess(drums) and Mark White (bass).

Turn It Upside Down (1994) was relatively unsuccessful, though the second single, "You Let Your Heart Go Too Fast", sold well. The follow-up, You've Got to Believe in Something (1996), sold poorly and the band lost its record contract, eventually signing to Uptown/Universal and released Here Comes the Bride in 1999.The band is currently on tour, promoting its new album.

Finally in 2001, the original members of Spin Doctors reunited and have recently recorded a new album, entitled Nice Talking to Me that was released on September 13th 2005.

May have to check out that new album, seems it wasn't released with much publicity, i thought this band were one hit wonders who dissappeared years ago....(reading that they kinda did...still...they're back now)
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2005, 11:38:48 PM »

The Cars
The Buzzcocks
The Police
Eddie Money
The Outfield
P.M. Dawn
Soul Asylum
The Pretenders
Stillwater

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2005, 01:43:19 AM »

Yeah my mistake, Two Princes. Doesn't the chorus goes something like that "if you.."?

5 million copies?Huh  Shocked
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2005, 04:18:23 AM »

new kids on the block

Shocked

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: