Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 08:19:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228032 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Album of the Century....so far (2000-2005), Random musical discussion
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Album of the Century....so far (2000-2005), Random musical discussion  (Read 11244 times)
RichardNixon
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2006, 08:17:10 PM »

I will bet anyone here a hundred bucks that at the end of the decade people will say "American Idiot" was the album of the decade. IMHO, so far, I like "Contraband," and NIN's "With Teeth."
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2006, 08:39:29 PM »

I will bet anyone here a hundred bucks that at the end of the decade people will say "American Idiot" was the album of the decade. IMHO, so far, I like "Contraband," and NIN's "With Teeth."

You could be right actually, bit of an oversight there!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2006, 09:19:35 PM »

#1- Agalloch: The Mantle. I choose this one as #1 because it's the best post black metal album I've heard so far, and it makes good use of acoustic instruments. It's interesting folk music, and it really can't accurately be called metal. It's just good music!

#2- Shadows Fall: The War Within. Crossover started in the 80's, but it has made an interesting comeback lately, as metalcore. Combining metal and hardcore punk usually pisses off the majority of both crowds and gathers up a cult minority following. Except this time, Shadows Fall puts out an album both crowds can enjoy, and has respectable status. You can insert just about any good metalcore album here, but this particular one is my favorite so far.

Those albums haven't had the influence on music that mine have. There has been a ton of good music in the 0's, but little in the way of influence.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 09:27:10 PM by Walk » Logged
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2006, 11:34:42 PM »

No offense ment Walk but I doubt anyone is going to name black metal (metalcore, ect) or one of its albums as "one of the biggest influences of '00 music"

But thats just the average person

gnrevolution.com
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2006, 02:38:04 AM »

Korn See You On The Other Side is fucking Phenomenal ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2006, 01:50:11 AM »

As far as influential albums of the past few years go, Id definately have to throw "Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too" by the New Radicals which was released way back in October of '98. The main single this album spawned was "You get what You Give" which instantly made me think I was listening to the next Todd Rundgren, but mysteriously this band fell apart less than a month after being on the road with the Goo Goo Dolls, since their singer Greg Alexander wanted to be a full time record producer. This album hasnt been in my stereo consistantly since it's release but pretty damn close, and each time I rediscover it I fall in love with each of the 12 songs all over again and realize this album is one of the few 90's masterpieces. The eclecticism on the whole album shows incredible range of pop sensibility and an impressive understanding of what good rock used to all be about. The only song on the album I found hard to digest was "I Hope I Didn't Just Give Away the Ending." It's one of only a handful of CDs in existence that you can listen to from beginning to end, without skipping over the 'duds' because there are none other than the mediocre song I already mentioned. The finale of the record, Church On Monday is a remarkable ballad that sounds very similar to "Sweet Melissa" by the Allman brothers with a touch of Tuesday's gone. It fits the mood of the record perfectly but its so sad the way it leaves you longing for the followup but you know it wont ever come..

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2006, 02:05:30 AM »

No offense ment Walk but I doubt anyone is going to name black metal (metalcore, ect) or one of its albums as "one of the biggest influences of '00 music"

But thats just the average person

To the average person, there is no major influence they're picked up on, hence the "0's music sucks" attitude. There are definitely new trends and ideas out there, but they aren't noticed by the average person. When the trends are finally picked up on and discovered, they'll be mentioned.

Metalcore is relatively mainstream. I've seen Lamb Of God, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, and tons of other metalcore at Best Buy and other major outlets. Black metal is against the mainstream almost by definition, but it has a very loyal kvlt following.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2006, 11:54:56 AM »

Was just surfing the Rolling Stone webpage today, and breezing through Joni Mitchell's columns I found this New Radicals mention/complimen from back in 2004: Joni Mitchell declares the New Radicals "the only thing I heard in many years that I thought had greatness in it... I loved that song "You Get What You Give." It was a big hit, and I said, 'Where did they go?' It turns out the guy [Gregg Alexander] quit. I thought, 'Good for him.' I knew he was my kind of guy."

I know what your thinkin', who cares about Joni Mitchell, but I thought it was cool because it's an phase of belief I often have when I return to that record from time to time: it has true greatness in it. I doubt it would even matter what order the tracks were in, it just flows from beginning to end flawlessly with some of the most infectious rock/pop in years n' years.

It's also funny, in the press release for the breakup of this band, Gregg said he felt "he accomplished everything he ever wanted to do on this one record" and it's so ironic because the record is so brilliant, alot of bands wouldn't even reach it's potential in they're whole careers.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2006, 12:14:04 PM »

Defining albums of 00-05 for me have to be - The Strokes - Is This It?  Kings Of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood, and The Datsuns - The Datsuns. And although the majority of people listen to shit music now a days I highly doubt others who actually know their music will look back on the 00s and say that Eminem was the best music act of the 21st century, he's just a trend as far as I'm concerned.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2006, 12:34:04 PM »

Metal Love by HIM

No man can be my equal
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2006, 02:05:35 PM »

Metal Love by HIM

Great choice, but if anything it'd be Razorblade Romance or Greatest Love Songs Vol. 666 Wink

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2006, 02:17:46 PM »

You'd have to add the latest Kanye West album into the discussion too. It's the first real cross over rap/hip hop album since Dre's 2000.

I think Speakerboxxx/The Love Below by Outkast deserves more consideration for "Album of the Century" than Kanye's (though both are important).? "Hey Ya" and "The Way You Move" were monsters, the album went diamond, and it won album of the year.

I highly doubt others who actually know their music will look back on the 00s and say that Eminem was the best music act of the 21st century, he's just a trend as far as I'm concerned.

And garage rock wasn't?? That doesn't mean an album wasn't good/important.

I'd like to say a Coldplay album, but I wouldn't know which one to pick.? I agree with The White Stripes - Elephant... and American Idiot definetaly had an impact that will be remembered.

Out of the ones I mentioned I'd probably pick Outkast.? Hip Hop & Rap is the most popular music of the century, and this album had the most appeal to everyone.? Even all the close minded rock fans would say "I can't stand hip hop... I guess Outkast is pretty good... but the rest is all trash".? I'm pretty sure Speakerboxxx/The Love Below was the first hip hop record to win the album of the year at the Grammys.? So there you go, the most popular album in terms of hits, crossover appeal, and praise from critics in the most popular musical genre of the century.

If the discussion is limited to rock music, then I say Elephant.

Edit - AxlsMainMan, I h-h-h-h-h-hAAAAAAAATE that New Radicals song.  nervous
RichardNixon
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2006, 06:51:28 PM »

#1- Agalloch: The Mantle. I choose this one as #1 because it's the best post black metal album I've heard so far, and it makes good use of acoustic instruments. It's interesting folk music, and it really can't accurately be called metal. It's just good music!

#2- Shadows Fall: The War Within. Crossover started in the 80's, but it has made an interesting comeback lately, as metalcore. Combining metal and hardcore punk usually pisses off the majority of both crowds and gathers up a cult minority following. Except this time, Shadows Fall puts out an album both crowds can enjoy, and has respectable status. You can insert just about any good metalcore album here, but this particular one is my favorite so far.

Those albums haven't had the influence on music that mine have. There has been a ton of good music in the 0's, but little in the way of influence.

What? Shadow's Fall and Agalloch have had no influence whatsoever. Who has heard of them? Or likes them, outside their core fan base. The new LA Guns album is more relavant than those bands.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2006, 01:07:21 PM »

Metal Love by HIM

Great choice, but if anything it'd be Razorblade Romance or Greatest Love Songs Vol. 666 Wink
Yeap but it was release in 2000 or 1999 cant remember  Undecided

No man can be my equal
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2006, 01:27:52 PM »

If the discussion is limited to rock music, then I say Elephant.

My sentiments as well, Elephant and American Idiot are 1 & 1A in no particular order.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
RichardNixon
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2006, 04:32:10 PM »

I like the White Stripes. Seem 'em in concert, own all their albums...but...

I don't get the hype. They're not that great and Jack White is NOT the 17th best guitar player of all-time, sorry RS. People are trying to make them out to be the next Velvet Underground or Nirvana and it just is not so.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2006, 08:30:33 PM »

I like the White Stripes. Seem 'em in concert, own all their albums...but...

I don't get the hype. They're not that great and Jack White is NOT the 17th best guitar player of all-time, sorry RS. People are trying to make them out to be the next Velvet Underground or Nirvana and it just is not so.

I know where you going and agree to a degree, they seem to be the poster band for the minimalist approach...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2006, 10:25:33 PM »

avenged sevenfold-city of evil-amazing album from sytart to finish. nice to see someone like synester gates playing mad leads. hopefully it will light a fire under the asses of people like slash and kirk hammet to do the same.
the process of belief by bad religion-amazing back to basics album from one of the greatest bands ever. their 2nd best album ever in my eyes (suffer being first.)
alkaline trio's good mourning-their heaviest (tho still just punk) and darkest album filled with great catchy songs and some of my favorite lyrics ever. Don't judge them by their latest (this years "crimson" their attempt to go pop and marketable)
by the way-red hot chili peppers-not as good as californication but still a great album and melodic as fuck.
rolling stones-a bigger bang-their best in years. songs rock when they should and none of the songs were fucked with like the last album.
jerry cantrell-degredation trip vol. 1&2-any AIC fan should own this. Heavy and brutally honest.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 06:20:16 PM by Wheres Izzy » Logged

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2006, 06:38:25 PM »

Edit - AxlsMainMan, I h-h-h-h-h-hAAAAAAAATE that New Radicals song.

Really? That's a shame man.

You should check out Gotta Stay High by them. It's more of a ballad but maybe it'll spark some interet in the band for ya.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Aava
Everything changes
VIP

If you wanna do it, baby, you can do it right

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2006, 07:09:31 PM »

Metal Love by HIM

Yeap but it was release in 2000 or 1999 cant remember? Undecided

Razorblade Romance was released 1999, and Greatest Love Songs ?96 or ?97.

We're on the one road
Maybe the wrong road
It's the road to fuck knows where
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: