Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:54:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227805 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Has anyone been to the Nazi Concentration camps?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has anyone been to the Nazi Concentration camps?  (Read 13770 times)
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« on: February 04, 2006, 07:00:25 PM »

I'm fascinated with the time frame of the World Wars, especially WWII. I have always wanted to go to one of the camps, I don't know if that makes me sick or not. I've read the book The Holocaust Chronicle that I would recomend to everyone interested in the time period. Many of the pictures are absolutely heartbreaking and tear inducing, no matter how far removed you are from it.

I would imagine that there would be few things in the world more powerful than a visit to one of the former camps. I would think that with our culturally and country diverse boards that someone would've seen one of these places. Has anyone been?

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 07:04:34 PM »

I have also always been fascinated with all the different aspects of World War II, especially the Holocaust. I've read many books on the subject, and seen a few horrifying documentaries, although I cant remember their names. Going to the camps is on my list of things to do before I die.

badapple81
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 10:01:08 PM »

Same as jameslofton I am a big history buff (modern history not ancient) and would like to go and see a lot around Europe from war time.

It's not sick Fiona Apple. It would be really sad and tear inducing just as you put it.
SuperMike
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 12:29:41 AM »

Yeah I watch movies and documentries about the era of Hitler's invasion. It helps me appreciate?life better. Ever saw that TV movie "Hitler: The Rise to Power" ? "Schindler's list" is great too.

"Hitler: The Rise to Power"
or The Rise of Evil , something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/w/hitler-cantando?v=FzCYSOFpOJU&search=Hitler hihi

http://www.youtube.com/w/Hitler-Rap?v=89j_8rdUe70&search=Hitler rofl
nevermiss24
Rocker

CD STARTS NOW

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 01:52:07 AM »

this doesnt answer ur question but me and my bro used to go build stuff for a nazi
he was interesting but he died a while back but yea he was a nazi pilot
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 10:03:05 AM »

I've never been but my parents went to Auscwitz when I was much younger, they kept all the books and everything they bought while there and took a lot of pictures. They say it's one of the most amazing experiences they've ever had, even the pictures are moving, it's on my list of priorities to get over there sometime.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 10:40:07 AM »

Schindler's List is a great movie and so are the Nuremberg series of films. One question though: In Schindler's List what does the little girl in the red dress signify?  Huh

Fuck 'Em All.
makane
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 10:46:55 AM »

http://fcit.coedu.usf.edu/holocaust/resource/gallery/gallery3.htm
Theres alot of pictures if you're intrested.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 11:04:54 AM »

Schindler's List is a great movie and so are the Nuremberg series of films. One question though: In Schindler's List what does the little girl in the red dress signify?? Huh

She's the only one in colour while the war is on, before the war starts the whole thing is in colour but during the war it's just her, so I think she's meant to signify innocence. There's all the carnage going on around her and she's completely innocent and oblivious to it, so she sort of sheds light on the whole situation. That's what I took from it anyways.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 11:27:13 AM »

She's the only one in colour while the war is on, before the war starts the whole thing is in colour but during the war it's just her, so I think she's meant to signify innocence. There's all the carnage going on around her and she's completely innocent and oblivious to it, so she sort of sheds light on the whole situation. That's what I took from it anyways.

Yeah, that's what I figured too. The movie deserves the seven oscars it got.  peace

Fuck 'Em All.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 02:12:00 PM »

Schindler's List is a great movie and so are the Nuremberg series of films. One question though: In Schindler's List what does the little girl in the red dress signify?? Huh
I read a book many years ago about Schindler, and he noticed that girl and thought she was extremely beautiful, and she didn't really fit in with what horror was going on at that time. He doesn't see her again until she is dead, and the image of her dead was almost unbearable for him.

gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 01:31:33 PM »

I went to Dachau near Munich in 2001.  It was very interesting and extremely eerie.  What do you want to know?
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 03:36:51 PM »

I went to Dachau near Munich in 2001. It was very interesting and extremely eerie. What do you want to know?

I'd actually be curious to know if people are actually authorized to walk the grounds

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 04:57:50 PM »

i was at buchenwald once..... that is a smaller one than ausschwitz. but`ll visit ausschwitz in 1 year.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Wernie
Desperate Elbowlicker
VIP

I don't know if soon is the word...(FYI, IT'S NOT)

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 07:37:57 AM »

I visited Bergen-Belsen in 1995, while travelling to France. It felt so unreal to be walking around reading signs everywhere that said: "here lies 10.000", "here lies 5000", "here lies 15000"...

Still, I'm happy that I've been there and I think that everyone that has a chance should visit one someday. It open up your eyes.

So I send this song to the offended...
Barockhamster
Opening Act

Barockhamster at helgon

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 07:55:57 AM »

I was in auschwitz(spelling?) last year and I didn't feel anything. I'm scared of myself now
A lot of other people did cry or did get upset. But i just coludn't feel a thing  Undecided

Comerades !
Beloved brothers and sisters in rock !
We are gathered here today to celebrate a true revolution !
A revolution of a state in which we believe
GUNS N' ROSES
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 08:07:59 AM »

I was in auschwitz(spelling?) last year and I didn't feel anything. I'm scared of myself now
A lot of other people did cry or did get upset. But i just coludn't feel a thing  Undecided

i didn`t feel much in buchenwald either.....

it prevents you from becoming a mental wreck...  i just couldn`t relate to the things that happened there...

but buchenwald might be a different case though, since there isn`t much left of that time...

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Sweet s
Rocker

Here There Everywhere

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 08:09:49 AM »

my friend at work went to auctchwitz last year and said the experience was chilling

We Love To Treat Women Great ,But We Havn't got Any Money So We Treat Them Like Shit-Izzy Stradlin 1986
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 08:27:37 AM »

I went to Aushwitz back in 1994, with school. We took the train from Belgium to the camp (about 1,000 kms if I remember).

It was the scariest thing I've ever seen. We were a bunch of stupid kids, as you can imagine a group of students travelling togheter, but when we actually arrived on the site, nobody was talking anymore.

There was ex-prisonners there, to tell us their story while "visiting" the camp. I will always remember the first thing that old woman did: removing her coat and show us the number carved on her arm.

It was part of a project called "Le train des 1,000", as we were 1,000 students from different schools from all over Europe to go there, to be shown what happened.

Sorry for my bad english Undecided I do my best.

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 08:45:46 AM »

i've never been to the concentration camps (if ever i'm in the area i will certainly go tho) but i've been to holland and belgium on a two week trip seeing the battle sites and the mass graves. the experience changed me forever. german graves a quarter the size of a football field with tens of thousands of dead bodies in them changes your perspective.

i'd imagine visiting the concentration camps would do too.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: