Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:57:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What is the general consensus on the worst GnR song of all time?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is the general consensus on the worst GnR song of all time?  (Read 51091 times)
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2006, 02:53:27 PM »

My World.  Easiest question ever.  Horrible song.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2006, 03:16:16 PM »

Amen to Thorazine.

Buddha_Master, it's you who is trying to tell him what to do, and what to say.
He doesn't like the songs you like. So what?
Why should you force people to have the same taste to you?

I love Oh MY GOd, Riyadh and the garden.
I appreciate ambitious pieces like MY World Silkworms.
And I fail to understand how anyone could be a hard rock fan and at the same time dislike IRS.

But so what? So many people so many minds.

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2006, 03:17:26 PM »

Ive never really liked Out ta get me or crazy on Lies.

The FUCK you say?

Um....wow... Crazy on Lies is arguably one of Axl's finest recorded work vocally. I want to say that if you dont like Crazy on Lies you don't like Axl or appreciate is vocal gifts. That is actually more shocking then saying you never liked Out To Get Me....you are fucking crazy dude. Maybe that is why you don't like it. Out To Get Me is pretty much THE GNR song that sums up Appetite Era GNR (I know its not as safe as saying WTTJ).

Couple questions...How old are you? And did you grow up with a silver spoon? It (OTGM) so fucking nails the feeling when someone is fucking with you, the feeling of someone telling you what to do, and what to say. The feeling that people are out to get you. And it is one of the few songs that only Axl could sing. He sells that shit. Its the ultimate fuck you song. And it is very empowering. Its vintage GNR at its finest.

No, this isn't subjective. You are fucking craaaazay!

Damn.? I don't really come to anyones help, but it's just his opinion. Roll Eyes

Here, perhaps you need some of these...

No that's alright man, I'm not a pill popper. Listen dude, this is GNR talk. We don't have to make nice all the time. It is my opinion that if you don't like You are Crazy on Lies, and Out to get Me, then you open yourself up to questioning as a fan. Its like someone on a James Cameron fan site saying they never really liked Aliens and Terminator. "Get the fuck out of here" would be the first thing to come to mind wouldn't it? I think he's crazy. Does he owe you a happy ending or something?

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #203 on: June 16, 2006, 03:25:46 PM »

anything goes and shotgun blues would have to be strong candidates
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #204 on: June 16, 2006, 03:30:49 PM »

Breakdown, November Rain, My World, Madagascar, Silkworms, Rhiad.

All terrible......

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
EccoTides
« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2006, 03:33:25 PM »

Anything Goes, Shotgun Blues, and So Fine... All three are pretty terrible. Garden of Eden is also pretty damn cheesey, I've never liked it.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #206 on: June 16, 2006, 03:34:09 PM »

Breakdown, November Rain, My World, Madagascar, Silkworms, Rhiad.

All terrible......

See, now those are bold choices. If you are a rocker through and through...then this is understandable.

alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #207 on: June 16, 2006, 04:12:07 PM »

My World.? Easiest question ever.? Horrible song.

True. If you have to ask the worst song, you have to say "What is the worst GNR song, not including My World."

This would be my pick:

Get in the Ring - "The phony announcer tone is pretty lame".

I can understand those that pick "Shotgun Blues" and "So Fine". I don't think they are the worst, but would definitely be left off if Use Your Illussion was one album.

I think "Rhiad" is an "Immigrant Song" knock-off. Therefore that is one of the worst of the new songs. But, "Silkworms" is outright, god awful. I hate to say it but I still think "The Blues" is a little too "Elton John" like for me.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #208 on: June 16, 2006, 04:13:49 PM »

Yeah I hate Get in the Ring the most....along with My World of course. Tongue

But I like Silkworms.? It's very experimental.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 04:17:03 PM by Thorazine Shuffle » Logged

GhettoBlaster
Opening Act

you are reading this sentence.

« Reply #209 on: June 16, 2006, 04:18:10 PM »

"the garden" has some of the worst lyrics of all time.

I am not the devil; I only play His music.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #210 on: June 16, 2006, 05:27:14 PM »

You must have never had psychedelics before.

Origen
« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2006, 05:32:12 PM »

Each to there own, the Alice Cooper parts ruin it for me. But Slash' guitar work on that song are amazing, so eery and perfectly played.
philspectorshotme
Rocker

i wasn't complaining!

« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2006, 05:48:34 PM »

had get in the ring been a bside it would have been pretty much the best thing ever. as it is, its funny (and depending on mood, in a good way or a bad way). but i doubt its the worst gnr song ever.
again, my world is the obvious choice. you can tell at that stage axl held all the power in the band as anyone in their right mind wouldnt have put that tripe out.
strangely enough though, ive actually grown quite fond of it.

but my least favourite tune these days has got to be dont damn me. someone mentioned cringeworthy lyrics, well these are as if fred durst wrote them:
"ive been where i have been and ive seen what i have seen/ i put the pen to the paper when its all a part of me."

oh dear god.

duffs so fine is a great tune. worthy of the johnny thunders tribute.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #213 on: June 16, 2006, 06:22:18 PM »

My world for sure...

Quick! To the bandwagon!
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #214 on: June 16, 2006, 07:47:41 PM »

Ive never really liked Out ta get me or crazy on Lies.

Um....wow... Crazy on Lies is arguably one of Axl's finest recorded work vocally.

I totally disagree with you, Buddha Master. The acoustic version of "You're Crazy" is one of my least favorite GNR tracks. Actually, it probably IS my least favorite recorded GNR track. The AFD version is much better, IMO.

Also, I think I remember seeing an old interview with Axl where he says that he hates his voice on the acoustic version. I don't wanna quote exactly because I don't remember, but if my memory serves me right, he basically says that the band sounds great but he sounds like shit on that song. I don't think he sounds like shit, but it's nowhere near his "finest recorded work vocally."

Here Today . . .
troccoli
VIP

Please allow me to introduce myself

« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2006, 09:20:31 PM »

Without a doubt, My World is an easy choice in terms of not fitting the musical style of the band (and even if it did, still not a great song musically).  That being said, give the lyrics a read again.  Pretty damn cool.  Still my least favorite tune though.

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2006, 10:12:55 PM »

People dont like the Lies Crazy  Huh

Thats one of my favourite GnR songs! Its fucking groovy.
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2006, 11:37:08 PM »

You can find this interview in the articles section of this site. The title of the article is "The World According to W. Axl Rose." The following excerpt is when Del James is asking Axl about Lies.

DJ:  Do you like the slow stuff?

Axl:  I think 'Crazy' sucks. The band's great but I think I sound like shit. It's a very special, magical song. Everytime we record 'Crazy' something happens. When it's really on, the band goes into a trancelike state. You leave everything else behind. I don't think I quite hit what I was looking for. I don't think there's a major problem with it, I just don't think we quite hit it, I think everything else kicks ass!

Here Today . . .
Onikeus
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #218 on: June 17, 2006, 12:46:25 AM »

My World is definitely the worst original Guns N' Roses song that I've heard. It was something experimental that Axl said he composed in a few hours. Its all over the place. To me it sounds messy and unfinished. There are quite a few songs in the UYI albums that could have been improved/removed. Among the worst are So Fine (bad lyrics, Duff's singing), the outro to Breakdown (an awesome song that was destroyed by Axl reading the passage), and Shotgun Blues (sounds too immature/repetitive). To those that list The Garden among their least favourite, I always thought it was among Axl's finest work. Slash's guitar wails and Axl's singing is haunting. It reminds me of classic rock from the late 60's. It could fit in the Beatle's Sgt. Pepper's album. Lyrically it was at first hard to understand but I figured it out with the help of the video (a strong message if you ask me).
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #219 on: June 17, 2006, 02:07:50 AM »

to ask about the worst song is the same as asking about the favourite song, people will have diffrent opinions.

i like all the songs gnr put out, it only depends on the mood, the only song i tend to skip is shotgun blues. but. who knows, there was a time i wouldn't listen to coma or breakdown and now those two are amongst my favourites.

i didn't take into consideration my world because it's not a real song, it's probably just a joke and i like it. and no new songs because we haven't heard studio versions

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: