Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 01:12:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Oh My God"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Oh My God"  (Read 62047 times)
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2004, 07:23:09 AM »

gary sunshine was/is axl's guitar teacher. and axl released a press statement when omg was released i can't find it right now but i'm sure some kind soul will copy and paste it here for you.
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2004, 07:27:19 AM »

I wander whether Axl has ever asked him to join the band / contribute to Chinese Democracy

Here today...ready to rock
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2004, 08:17:24 AM »

axl released a press statement when omg was released i can't find it right now

"So here's the story behind this music?

The chorus: OH MY GOD etc. deals with the societal repression of deep and often agonizing emotions - some of which may be willingly accepted for one reason or another - the appropriate expression of which (one that promotes a healing, release and a positive resolve) is often discouraged and many times denied. Emotionally the song contemplates several abstract perspectives drawing from personal expression as well as from the film (End Of Days) and its metaphors. The appropriate expression and vehicle for such emotions and concepts is not something taken for granted.

Musically the song was primarily written by Paul Huge over two years ago, with Dizzy Reed writing the musical hook of the chorus. Former member Duff McKagan as well as former employee Matt Sorum failed to see its potential and showed no interest in exploring, let alone recording the piece. When the demos were played for the new band, Josh, Tommy and Robin were as they say 'all over it'.

Once the opportunity was presented, the song was given priority in our recording process. As the verse, performance and lyrics were decided on, for us (that especially includes Interscope chairman Jimmy Iovine) the choice became obvious. We were more than pleased Mr. Roswell (the film's music supervisor) agreed! Our thanks to Arnold and all for the consideration - it is an association in which we have always felt honored.

Paul Huge, Gary Sunshine and Dave Navarro appear on the song as well as Robin Finck. Robin's part was written by Paul and extensively manipulated by our producer, Sean Beaven. Robin was not involved in the writing of the final recording though did participate in the arrangement. All lyrics were written by myself. Additional programming (jack boots, screeching tires, etc.) was by Stuart White.

The fight of good vs. evil, positive vs. negative, man against a seemingly undefeatable, undeterrable, unrevealed destiny, along with the personal and universal struggle to attain, maintain and responsibly manage freewill can be and often is frustrating to say the least. In America our country's constitutional right to freedom of expression gives us a better chance to fight for that expression than many in other countries enjoy. It can be a big gig, like kickin' the crap outta the devil!"

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada,

Axl on OMG

but i'm sure some kind soul will copy and paste it here for you.

Damn it. I must find the link now.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 08:19:10 AM by ppbebe » Logged
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2004, 08:27:31 AM »

Done.  the link

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=120

Actually it was easy peasy. Cheesy
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2004, 10:00:13 AM »

[quote author=Scabbie link=topic=17498.msg300677#msg300677 date=1103372319

Also, a subject for discussion...if Oh My God had been the song for Terminator 2 do you think it would have gone down well with the mainstream public?

In 1991 at the time the film was released I dont really recall industrial music such as Oh My God really being a popular genre with the public, or well known at all really. If the piece was released in 1991, I think it would have sounded way ahead of its time with the music composition and distortion the song contains. Even in 1999 when the piece was formally released, it was not a commercial success by any means however I love the song and truly hope a mastered version is on CD.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2004, 10:44:42 AM »

In 1991 at the time the film was released I dont really recall industrial music such as Oh My God really being a popular genre with the public, or well known at all really. If the piece was released in 1991, I think it would have sounded way ahead of its time with the music composition and distortion the song contains. Even in 1999 when the piece was formally released, it was not a commercial success by any means however I love the song and truly hope a mastered version is on CD.

I think it would be a great B-Side to one of the singles if it is not included on the album. I think its one of Axl's finest written tracks - the drums are really cool, especially when Axl's signing kicks in at the start. I love the chorus, it has a really catchy hook and the disco upbeat funky feel really makes for an interesting song - there is also a solo which if you didn't know otherwise could be Slash. My only criticism was the sound - it justs sounds though it could have been cleaned up a bit.

The agression and whole craziness of the song would have fit in well with T2 - I can just see the track belting along as Arnie gets the shotgun out in the shopping centre and fights with the baddie.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2004, 11:15:56 AM »

Ahem, I rather imagine the films like "Fight Club" would have fitted the song but it?s just me.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2004, 12:05:50 PM »

there is also a solo which if you didn't know otherwise could be Slash.

Huh

That doesnt sound like Slash at all...?
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2004, 12:45:13 PM »

did to me!

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2005, 04:56:19 PM »

I just had to say that for about the past week Ive been in an absolute trance over this song and think its fucking brilliant whether it really was just a rough demo or not. I think just tagging this track as the product of Axl's obsession with NIN at the time period in which it was made is a little harsh because he was heavily into them before even My World was recorded and Oh My God is definately lightyears from that song in creativity and pure musical ingenuity.

Dols anyone else kinda think that maybe Axl probably had an albums worth, or maybe a little less full of industrial/synth rock gems a la OMG ready to release but due to its poor reception, the material probably went into the vault and he started from scratch all over again?

With any past misteps with Axl persuing his Industrial inluences forgotten, I myself truly hope there is at least one more song similar to OMG on Chinese Democracy, anyone else?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2005, 04:58:57 PM »

one more song would be fine but for myself I have never liked industrial so I personally hope he scrapped a lot of those type tunes and went more without sounds effects and stuck with straight ahead hard rockers.. I enjoyed it back in 99 but haven't really kept interest in it, but very few songs in life do that..
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2005, 04:59:06 PM »

yeah! Im with you on this! Oh My God is a song who has grown on me! In the beginning i dident like it that much, but no i really love that song! Hope there is more "oh my gods" on Chinese Democracy...

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
rainX
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2005, 05:04:38 PM »

i think the song is bloody brilliant.
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2005, 05:10:23 PM »

Whatever Axl does with CD, I hope Axl treats us to some of the older songs / diffrent mixes. That way everyone's a winner!

I still think Oh My God was a great track although the production could have been a little 'cleaner' and not so distorted.

fesxine
Headliner

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2005, 05:12:06 PM »

i haven't really got into OMG but would love to hear it as part of an album.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2005, 05:25:27 PM »

I wander whether Axl has ever asked him to join the band / contribute to Chinese Democracy
I actually used to talk to Gary Sunshine via email a few yrs back. He never had any intentions nor was asked to be in the band from what I remember.

anyone else kinda think that maybe Axl probably had an albums worth, or maybe a little less full of industrial/synth rock gems a la OMG ready to release but due to its poor reception, the material probably went into the vault and he started from scratch all over again?
GNR def have songs like OMG around. I would say yes Axl would liek to release a reocrd of Omg's. He said in a press release once that he would liek to slowly take the fans on a journey. Which is probably the smart way of going about it. Instead of opening up with an Industrial type record he will break in with a traditional type record and slowly introduce other styles and stuff they have been working on.

valted, yes...Scrapped no.

OMG has always been one of my favorites.  I love the whole song from start to finish. Great effects too. The trains and horns are reaally cool in the background. I wish they raised that up a bit. Peopel were expecting a Slash bluesy solo when this song came out. It was the first new gnr song. You go from NR or NT solo to a different musical style. WOnt get the best initial reaction. OMG kicks major ass. And the live version is even better

Its ahead of Rhiad and Silkworms. I liek RHiad musically but havnt been able to get into it vocally or lyrically. SilkWomrs is by no means a masterpiece but I think a very cool punk type song. Gets way too much critisism but thats ok

On a side note....Would you all deem CD a failure or not good if its not "ahead of its time"?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 05:33:52 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2005, 05:28:42 PM »

Ain't this the best industrial\ nu-metal song you've ever heard?

Is that what kind of music it is?  I could never figure out what Axl was trying to be there.  And I'm not being sarcastic, I honestly was scratching my head over it.  It's an okay song, it's got its moments, but it isn't true GNR music, not by a longshot.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2005, 08:54:21 PM »

Oh my god is a great song, its just not radio friendly but so what. A lot of radio friendly songs are terrible.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
RichardNixon
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2005, 11:16:04 PM »

I've always thought that song was cool as shit. And the live version also rocks.
Agno
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2005, 09:06:39 AM »

nu metal sucks, oh my god can't be nu metal.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: