Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:23:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Question about recording equipment
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about recording equipment  (Read 2580 times)
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« on: April 18, 2006, 08:46:51 PM »

I got a question about a nice way to record my band demos (home recording of course)

First at all I post my courrent gear:
Gibson > Marshall > Line Out > Ernie ball wires > Sound Blaster Audigy II  Line In > Software

It sucks, of course. So I started reading some cool options... I am going to get a decent shure mic,  but  I can't choice between 2 options, so that's why I'm posting here, hoping to get some interesting advices.

1) behringer mixer,a small mixer of course
pros: phantom power / 8 channels / I can use it for recording drums, bass, etc etc
but: I am going to plug it into the soundblaster card, wich is not proper for a good recording sound

2) tascam digital recorder
pros: hard drive included, I record my tracks in there, I can use them for mixing etc etc and then I send the recordings to my computer with usb/firewire with no sound loose
but: more expensive, it only records 2 tracks per take, so I can't use it for recording drums, in my country is harder to import

So... my chances are:

a. Gibson > Marshall  > Shure sm 57 > Behringer mixer > Line in > Soft
b. Gibson > Marshall  > Shure sm 57 > Tascam digital recorder  > Firewire > Soft

a. many uses & cheap  VS b. better quality & expensive

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 09:34:36 AM »

I'd go with option (a). Importing gear is tough shit and it's the same in my country too. For home recording a Creative Audigy is not so bad.

Fuck 'Em All.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 09:56:26 AM »

I would go with (B) myself.  Using the Firewire with the hard-disk recorder will give you more quality and a hell of alot more options.  Just don't rush anything and you'll figure the equipment out. ok

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 12:17:43 PM »

I would go with (B) myself.? Using the Firewire with the hard-disk recorder will give you more quality and a hell of alot more options.? Just don't rush anything and you'll figure the equipment out. ok

actually, tascam is better quality but NO options... because you can only record in great quality and then export it into the computer... of course I can mix the tracks with the tascam, but obviously I'm not going to do that if I want a decent mix...

but the behringer would allow me to record multiple tracks (resherals, drumkits...) and I can set monitor with different mixes etc etc etc etc

Tascam = expensive, lot's of quality
Behringer = less quality (unless I get a better soundcard) but lot's of uses

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 04:55:30 PM »

I would go with (B) myself.? Using the Firewire with the hard-disk recorder will give you more quality and a hell of alot more options.? Just don't rush anything and you'll figure the equipment out. ok

actually, tascam is better quality but NO options... because you can only record in great quality and then export it into the computer... of course I can mix the tracks with the tascam, but obviously I'm not going to do that if I want a decent mix...

but the behringer would allow me to record multiple tracks (resherals, drumkits...) and I can set monitor with different mixes etc etc etc etc

Tascam = expensive, lot's of quality
Behringer = less quality (unless I get a better soundcard) but lot's of uses

You can always get a computer program to run it through once you download from the Tascam, or buy a Firepod that comes with a program (but they are about $600).  That'll give you 6 inputs running directly into the computer with a program.

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 08:21:10 PM »

thanks for the reply, firepod rocks but in my country it costs near 1500U$ and that's alot more that what I'm going to spend in a hobbie accesory.

about the tascam, I belive that i'f I'm going to record track per track and then import it into the computer for mixing, I'd spend less money by getting a minidisc...

I think I am going to get an analog mixer, thanks to everyone for their replies

imsorry
Rocker

d|0_o|b

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 12:41:42 AM »

get an m-audio audiophile 2496 its cheap and got a very good quality, or an m-audio 1010LT that comes with pre amp
phanton power but if u dont need an pre amp built in go to the 2496 u will be fine.

20-23/01/1991
10-12/12/1992
15/01/2001
07-13-16/03/2010
11/20/2016
I believe!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: