Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:04:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Buckethead article 20/4/06
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buckethead article 20/4/06  (Read 3726 times)
anythinggoes
« on: April 21, 2006, 03:50:31 AM »

Faceless Shreds, Secret SorrowBuckethead returns from the mountaintop
?
By Sam McPheeters

Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:00 am

Shred head. Photo by Chris Jones

What secret shame binds the heart of Buckethead? What private disgrace compelled guitar virtuoso Brian Carroll to forsake his Christian name and perform under a Halloweenish kabuki mask and unused KFC bucket for these past 15 years? There is scant evidence that he has ever performed open-faced. His interviews are handled through a rubber severed head that may or may not be named Herbie. His official back story involves a childhood in a chicken coop. Is it a psychological defense mechanism? A marketing defense mechanism? At the least, his ability to stay on message should humble even the Bush administration. When Buckethead successfully auditioned for Ozzy Osbourne last year, his ?fucking bucket? was the deal breaker.

Not that he doesn?t have friends. His records are lousy with friends. Iggy Pop, Les Claypool, Bootsy Collins, actor Viggo Mortensen, System of a Down?s Serj Tankian and Man Is the Bastard?s Eric Wood have all lent their talents to his recordings. The appeal to celebrity springs from one irreducible truth: he shreds. Buckethead?s sweeping arpeggios and rumored 10-finger tapping system captivate guitar snoots worldwide, although there is far more humor and emotional weirdness in his compositions than in the songs of Yngwie or Steve Vai. Through his fingers, the gods of Frank Frazetta paintings and Guitar Center aisle wankery are forced, by uncomfortable truce, into some greater synthesis.

But there is a sad quality to Buckethead?s live performances. In between bouts of superhuman shredding, he is prone to expert nunchaku displays, moonwalking, popping and miming, as if the audience has to be cajoled into liking him. When he holds his latest toy robot out for the crowd?s approval, the gesture seems somehow autistic. He performs with elbows slightly askew, and his hands, slender and feminine, resemble mannequin parts. A long mane obscures any hint of a head; one is left with the impression of a Miyazaki creation, a human impersonator, desperate for connection. The entire persona clashes with all norms of classic rock axeman, and it?s not hard to see how he could have spent the 1990s as a stereotype, the virtuoso rock star with little clout in the states but ?big in Japan.?

In 2000, though, Buckethead joined Guns N? Roses. Video from those megaconcerts suggests a Twilight Zone irony?Buckethead winding up as a toy in Axl?s collection?but it is also obvious who got the better deal. GNR merely won a world-class guitarist. Buckethead won the grand jackpot of creative control. There he is onstage at Rock In Rio, allowed an uncensored guitar solo and robot dance in front of 1.3 million stunned fans. Bucket and mask are intact. You can only go one step further with the Dream, and that?s to walk away from it all. Buckethead did this four years later. For the wild demographics he draws?heshers and baldies, hippies and guitar creeps?there can be no higher aspiration. Except, perhaps, to gaze upon his face.

This writer?s brief meeting with that face raises more questions than answers. This was a year before superstardom, in Okayama?s Pepperland nightclub, a venue the size of a tree fort. Brian Carroll and entourage arrived just as I and my friends were departing, and there was barely enough room for all of us to squeeze past each other. Several hours early for his sound check, Carroll hadn?t yet bothered with costume. He appeared neither deformed nor shy, merely crestfallen at the size of the space (if he was big in Japan, it certainly wasn?t that night). Yes, I got a good look at his face; no, I won?t describe it for you; yes, I feel comfortable calling us friends after this brief encounter. To reveal any more would be a betrayal.

BUCKETHEAD WITH THAT 1 GUY AT THE COACH HOUSE, 33157 CAMINO CAPISTRANO, SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, (949) 496-8930; THECOACHHOUSE.COM. SAT., 8 P.M. $16-$18. 21+.

http://www.ocweekly.com/music/music/faceless-shreds-secret-sorrow/24981/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 03:53:12 AM by anythinggoes » Logged
MarioGunner
Rocker

I should've known you're crazy

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 09:58:50 AM »

pretty cool avatar ok

You can run like a river
Till you end up in the sea
And you run till night is black
And keep on going in your dream

My NEW Trading Space http://www.freewebs.com/mariogunner/
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 08:04:15 PM »

So Buckethead auditioned for Ozzy?  And it didn't work out becuase of the bucket?
Annie
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 08:30:00 AM »

I too have gazed upon his face and will not reveal what he looks like. He did tell me that he was shy.
qazolmob
Opening Act

Where's your head at?

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 04:33:29 AM »

So Buckethead auditioned for Ozzy?  And it didn't work out becuase of the bucket?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead

Ozzy interview in Revolver
"I tried out that Buckethead guy. I met with him and asked him to work with me but only if he got rid of the fucking bucket. So I came back a bit later and he's wearing this green fucking Martian's-hat thing! I said, 'Look, just be yourself'. He told me his name was Brian, so I said that's what I'd call him. He says, 'No one calls me Brian except my mother'. So I said, 'Pretend I'm your mum then!'. I haven't even got out of the room and I'm already playing fucking mind games with the guy. What happens if one day he's gone and there's a note saying, 'I've been beamed up'? Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. He plays like a motherfucker!"

To the article, it's ok but i didn't like the "autistic" part. Toys and stuff is part of Bucket's role and I think most fans at shows accept them as part of the show.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 04:59:31 PM »

Thanks for the link.? Sounds like the audition was a bit of a circus for Ozzy, which is saying something...I didn't see "austic" mentioned anywhere, though (maybe I missed it?).  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 05:04:29 PM by bazgnr » Logged
qazolmob
Opening Act

Where's your head at?

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 01:37:13 PM »

But there is a sad quality to Buckethead?s live performances. In between bouts of superhuman shredding, he is prone to expert nunchaku displays, moonwalking, popping and miming, as if the audience has to be cajoled into liking him. When he holds his latest toy robot out for the crowd?s approval, the gesture seems somehow autistic. He performs with elbows slightly askew, and his hands, slender and feminine, resemble mannequin parts.

There.
Super-Ecwfan1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 05:33:48 PM »

So Buckethead auditioned for Ozzy?? And it didn't work out becuase of the bucket?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead

Ozzy interview in Revolver
"I tried out that Buckethead guy. I met with him and asked him to work with me but only if he got rid of the fucking bucket. So I came back a bit later and he's wearing this green fucking Martian's-hat thing! I said, 'Look, just be yourself'. He told me his name was Brian, so I said that's what I'd call him. He says, 'No one calls me Brian except my mother'. So I said, 'Pretend I'm your mum then!'. I haven't even got out of the room and I'm already playing fucking mind games with the guy. What happens if one day he's gone and there's a note saying, 'I've been beamed up'? Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. He plays like a motherfucker!"

To the article, it's ok but i didn't like the "autistic" part. Toys and stuff is part of Bucket's role and I think most fans at shows accept them as part of the show.

Its a shame Ozzie let a genuis guitarists odd habits sink him . I've seen Buckethead..the man can fucking go. Yes he is an odd guy with his mask and all , but he's a great player and hell its Ozzie's loss that he let this guy go.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: