Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:14:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228067 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Administrative
| |-+  Administrative, Feedback & Help
| | |-+  Karma feature
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Karma feature  (Read 21618 times)
SLCPUNK
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2006, 01:42:34 PM »

Be careful SLC. Big Brother is watching.

Karma Chamelion.

I'm inside the lines.........

I think........... Tongue
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2006, 01:59:06 PM »

So is this like baseball 3 strikes and u are out?

Pretty cool idea.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2006, 02:34:15 PM »

And can we post? minus points for incompetent? moderators?

Really, this idea strikes me as silly. Another brick in the wall of thought control. I understand the motivation and the purpose, but it strikes me as VERY heavy handed and? arbitrary. If you want to turn this into? a peer-reviewed website where? postings? have to meet certain criteria? of acceptance, it really contravenes? the whole? idea? of a shared? forum. The idea might be? good in theory, but given the arbitrary and inconsistent nature? of moderators' decisions, there? is tremendous room for abuse, and ultimately, defection from this site? as people become? alienated from nontransparent and inconsistent application of rules.

Agreed. It's another step to kill the forum or turn it into a 'you can say what you are allowed to say' type of forum. I think that the banning worked well till now, why would be any need of this? In the school we got 'black points' (earlier: a bad fox) when we did something bad - when the 'black points' reached the critical level, the teacher called for my mom. Cool.

And it annoys me that 'whining' is one of the factors why someone get banned. It's a message board, and it'd be sad that noone can ever write something like 'I miss Slash and Izzy' or 'Axl please release your record' cause he'll be banned for 'whining'. The biggest problem is that 'whining' is used by moderators for everything they don't like.

It was Sanctuary's request?

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2006, 03:08:06 PM »

Just a coincidence i'm sure

The karma feature is a little.....well, not a bad idea as such but, wel all know the trouble makers - so why is a board wide karma policy even needed?

And when posters like Walk have spent years advocating some really terrible views i feel the board kind of gives out a mixed message - as long as your whining about Axl/abuse/spamming is in good english, with atleast half a dozen lines of text its okay?

Not really a complaint, just an observation, i think the board is in good health

Quick! To the bandwagon!
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2006, 03:19:40 PM »

And when posters like Walk have spent years advocating some really terrible views i feel the board kind of gives out a mixed message -

Differing points of view can spur good debates. Political threads were banned for a while, and what replaced them were topics such as the flirting thread and many others of that ilk. I'm not a big contributor to political threads, but overall they were way more interesting than the former.

It's realy fairly easy to spot the idiots. Because someone has what one may consider terrible views does not necessarily make the peson a real bother to the forum as long as the discussion level is a little more captivating than 30 posts in a row that glorify having 2 dicks up your ass.

Anyhow, we'll see how this karma thing helps matters.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2006, 03:47:51 PM »

this is actually a pretty good idea. when i first saw the karma thing, i thought it sucked, but since it`s not working in the usual way it`s really helpful i think.

right on speed stone!! hihi
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 03:51:13 PM by WARose » Logged

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2006, 04:02:58 PM »

Agreed. It's another step to kill the forum or turn it into a 'you can say what you are allowed to say' type of forum. I think that the banning worked well till now, why would be any need of this? In the school we got 'black points' (earlier: a bad fox) when we did something bad - when the 'black points' reached the critical level, the teacher called for my mom. Cool.

What's killing the board is a select group of people constantly insulting each other and posting pointless threads about nothing.

Once again, if you're only here to start shit and get attention, leave already. Attention seekers will get banned sooner or later.

And it annoys me that 'whining' is one of the factors why someone get banned. It's a message board, and it'd be sad that noone can ever write something like 'I miss Slash and Izzy' or 'Axl please release your record' cause he'll be banned for 'whining'. The biggest problem is that 'whining' is used by moderators for everything they don't like.

First off, you have no idea what people get banned for.

You can write that if you feel like it. Maybe something more original would be interesting though. I'm personally tired of reading about a reunion that's not happening this week or the next.

Secondly, whining: Complaining about everything all the fucking time. Do you really want to hear that all the time? We have shows scheduled, it's not good because they won't play somebody's backyard on the right date. We have an Axl interview, it's not good because he didn't say what you wanted to hear etc etc.

What do you want to see on a GN'R board? A bunch of GN'R fans saying everything was better in 1987 complaining about Robin's clothes or do you want to see people who are actually excited about a band that's about to tour for the first time in four years?

I mean, this is a GN'R board, nowhere do we say we're all about the old band or your dreams about a reunion. Didn't you notice?

Maybe you should head to a VR forum or something and keep reminding them how great Snakepit were and how you wish VR breaks up so you can hear Snakepit again? Let's see how long they'll listen to you.

It gets really boring having a few people post negative shit day after day after day. That's what we're trying to cut down on.

'

No, it was my idea to keep track of the few people who keep ruining the board for the rest.

Nobody can say they weren't warned in advance from now on.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2006, 04:24:47 PM »

Are you not able to distinguish between the differing nature of individual events that are, in essence, identical? Or, do you just choose not to? Each case is different and as such needs to be viewed seperately! Expressing your feelings towards a reunion, in favour or whatever else, in a thread in which it falls under the umbrella of discussion is fine; 'whinging' or otherwise, it doesn't matter. Constantly dragging topics about this band, the current GNR, into the murky bullshit of how bad they are or how badly you want a reunion is what is likely to get you banned in time. There's the difference, brother.

The sooner the free speakers among us like yourself (and we all say 'HA!') realise that there is no black and white and that everything must be viewed independantly, the sooner we are likely to get any sense out of you.

Oh dear. When are you going to realize that this is a discussion board? Nobody has the right to come here. Jarmo could ban the whole fucking lot of you if he so wanted; never has he been influenced by numbers or popularity. This is a discussion board and as such discussion is encouraged. 'What you are allowed to say'? Well, if it preserves this board as a readable one, then, yes, that is what this is about.

What we do our best to discourage here are posts that contribute nothing, smiley posts, insults and off topic slush. If you think that this karma deal, or any of the rules in place, are there in order to tell you what to think then, well, you're a fucking idiot.

Most of the people who argue for free speech, when arguing for free speech, act as if children who have some vague concept that such a thing exists and yet have no real knowledge of what it is, or the importance of it's application and execution.

Now, here's an analogy worthy of the mind control, thought control Orwel reading Putin studying doughnut:

This is a town meeting (Well, it's more of a gathering). The moderators are the town elders (Fuck yeah we are... Seriously though, go with it. It's an analogy). You people are all wandering about, chatting and you what not. It's all a bit of a laugh.
    And yet, there are those among us who wander over to various groups and do nothing but interupt, with nothing else to add, becomming nothing but a nuisance. Also, there are those who walk over to groups of people discussing how good a certain piece is (...) and start rabbiting on about how much they would like to see a reunion. Out of place, and we all say *sigh*. As well as this, there are people among us who walk over to a group of people showing each photographs of their many trips to Europe and end-world and start talking about anal sex.
    We moderators... We, town elders, walk over to these individuals and give them a slap on the back of the head. In some cases, we sprinkle pixie dust on them and say 'Bad Karma...' Well, what we actually say is 'Smite motherfucker!' and clobber them with a rolled up newspaper, but you wouldn't know about that. Anyway, this alerts the Grandmaster who then is able to monitor these situations more closely.
    If they heed no warnings, and they continue to fuck up our town meeting (it really is more of a gathering), then a group of us (or, if it's Christos, him on his own), at the Grandmaster's discression, seize that person and haul them outside (we try and avoid beatings under the stairs. Though, the old security guard at work didn't...). So, once they are left outside in a heap in the snow the Grandmaster pokes his head around the door and yells '... And don't come back!' He promptly slams the door closed (Forever. It's like the pied piper... It never gets opened again. Well, depending on what version you're reading, sometimes it does. But this is the hardcore version, and it doesn't).
    While outside, the ruiner of conversation moans about how his right to free speach has been breached, abused, refused and nothing short of just cast asside. They continue to grumble, but the town don't care. From time to time there are those inside who attempt to impress upon the others the importance of the treasured values of equality, justice and democracy. This faux-liberation is met with deep belly laughs from many of those who hear it, and the speaker, the abdicator of freedom of speech (all the while passing bread to he who was hauled outside, who is sitting alone. In the snow. In the dark. Crying.) is left looking like a fool; for, unfortunatly for them, they have come arse about face. Their execution is poor, their ideas badly researched, and their understanding of how the town works is... Well, it doesn't seem to be there.
    (All the while the community is slowly building and building and getting bigger and bigger and then they take over the world the end.)

Do you want it painted any clearer, brother?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2006, 04:30:58 PM »

Do you want it painted any clearer, brother?

Yes. While I applaud your indents you should use paragraps as well.

Some fun analogies there, though.

Seriously, but..

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
blaqktiger
Guitars Suck
Rocker

The only man to pull off a Red Suit - BfoOt

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2006, 04:39:44 PM »

Good feature. I got a minus 1. I deserved it.. Someone fired me up and I reacted with an insult to that user. I just want to take this time to say sorry to Jarmo for breaking a rule.

I hope to stick to the rules now and not get anymore bad karma.

07-06-2006 -- Hammersmith Apollo.
11-06-2006 -- Donington Park.
30-07-2006 -- Wembley Arena.

www.robinfinck.com
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2006, 05:20:41 PM »

I think it's the funniest thing I've ever seen on a Message Board. This must be Copyright. I'm not joking. It's funny. Hey hey do we also have a special party every year? everybody around a table eating chocolate cakes?

You make the wait until May 12th easier. That's a lot of fun. Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 05:26:39 PM by Karma Police » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2006, 05:25:55 PM »

No cake for you, next!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2006, 05:30:30 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea after all. I may be a little bit ironical with that thing (wich I am), but I think it's a good idea. It may not be easy to moderate a big forum like this one, lots of people, so it makes you the job easier. If I had a board, I would do the same, but at the same time, I would also try to seperate the loyal fans (like me) who are here for a long long time (i don't have anything to proove to anybody, you included) from the non loyal fans and THEN give them a karma. I guess my Karma is for all the BH off topic discussions/whinning. Guess what? I won't change my mind about him, Karma or not Karma. So I prefer to take it with a good laugh Smiley

No bad feeling from me here Jarmo.

(That post is not ironical - I'm serious here)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 05:39:09 PM by Karma Police » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2006, 05:31:05 PM »

When i first saw the Karma feature, I was afraid it was gonna be one of those lame things on most other message boards where people give each other Karma pts.

I was thinking Please God No.

So Im relieved it actually serves a purpose.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
speed-stone
Banned
Rocker

...i fell in love and baby...

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2006, 06:46:02 PM »

can't you read? he's implied several times, including in the post before his last, that certain people are not really fans by putting fans in these "", ok? that pisses me off, and i just wanted to address it, as that's my right. stay out of this and take your own reading advice before getting involved next time.

Here is some advice: Don't get so upset at the drop of the hat.

I couldn't imagine "Getting angry" over something so trivial.

yes, but some people will take offense to the fact that he implies that we are not fans. nothing could be more insulting to me, being a hardcore fan since 1990. he should refrain from it. that being said, i'm not gonna argue anymore, obviously he don't see my point, as i have pm'ed him about it before too. glad you got my point.

Nobody should take "offense" because it has already been explained to you what the quotes mean. Anybody who gets offended at this point, does so out of choice.

getting banned for answering questions now. laughable.

"Somebody" does not get it..........

This isn't a popularity contest, this is just so we can keep up track so we know when and why to ban you.

This is about as clear as it can get. If you were smart you would read that and understand why you now have a neg 3 karma rating. Pushing you closer to the ban button. I suppose nobody has accused you of being smart though............

i'm getting a little bored with you following me around the board with insults now, mr. "hey look i can post pm's with people giving you the finger", it's getting past the point of pathetic. please do us both a favour and don't address me again. and i'm not smart? that's the funny thing about disrespecting people online, you couldn't be more wrong about the person you are typing text to. ask your friend skynyrdgirl about me if you don't think i'm smart. but whatever, you just bore me now, find someone else to pick on, e-bully. Roll Eyes

i see the light at the end, but everytime i take a step, it gets dim... tell me is this hell we're living in? if so, heaven's gotta be better, but if we're hellbound, whatever, it's going down.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2006, 06:54:48 PM »

i'm getting a little bored with you following me around the board with insults now, mr. "hey look i can post pm's with people giving you the finger", it's getting past the point of pathetic. please do us both a favour and don't address me again. and i'm not smart? that's the funny thing about disrespecting people online, you couldn't be more wrong about the person you are typing text to. ask your friend skynyrdgirl about me if you don't think i'm smart. but whatever, you just bore me now, find someone else to pick on, e-bully. Roll Eyes

Use quotes with moderation.
You don't have to quote the whole post when you're only replying to the last paragraph.

Give him -4!   hihi

Somehow I get the feeling that speed-stone will set the precedent for how much bad karma you need to get banned.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2006, 07:11:26 PM »

and i'm not smart?

No.

Somehow I get the feeling that speed-stone will set the precedent for how much bad karma you need to get banned.

I get the "feeling" you are right.........

speed-stone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2006, 07:26:21 PM »

get at me on msn if you ever want to find out what person i am. you couldn't be more wrong. or on a second thought, don't. just don't address me again.

i see the light at the end, but everytime i take a step, it gets dim... tell me is this hell we're living in? if so, heaven's gotta be better, but if we're hellbound, whatever, it's going down.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2006, 07:30:21 PM »

get at me on msn if you ever want to find out what person i am.

I'll take a rain check..........

I don't have to pick up dogshit and smell it to know that it stinks...............
speed-stone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2006, 07:31:23 PM »

get at me on msn if you ever want to find out what person i am.

I'll take a rain check..........

I don't have to pick up dogshit and smell it to know that it stinks...............

i feel bad for you. having an angry little internet man following me around with subtile and very boring insults just seems so... gay. Undecided

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: