Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:15:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  GNN - GN'R News Network
| | |-+  Look who's talking! Axl drops in on WAXQ
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Look who's talking! Axl drops in on WAXQ  (Read 2684 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« on: May 09, 2006, 09:50:37 AM »

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
Look who's talking! Axl drops in on WAXQ
By DAVID HINCKLEY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Tuesday, May 9th, 2006

Guns N' Roses front man Axl Rose, half-jokingly described by his comrade Sebastian Bach as "the Howard Hughes of rock 'n' roll," startled fans around the world early Saturday by dropping in on Eddie Trunk's WAXQ (104.3 FM) radio show and hanging out on-air for two and a half hours.
"Even though we talked on the phone, I have to admit that when he told Sebastian he'd come over, I was like, 'Yeah, right,'" said Trunk yesterday. "But when he got here, he couldn't have been nicer."

Rose came from a Guns N' Roses rehearsal to the WAXQ studio around 12:30 a.m. to join Trunk, Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian, WWE wrestler Chris Jericho and Bach, who Trunk says "really made it happen."

Rose drank Red Bulls, swapped stories, cracked a few jokes about himself and his reputation and suggested Trunk play Motorhead's "Ace of Spades." He also told stories about the hard-rock world and talked about growing up and listening to bands like Kiss and Wasp.

He answered some questions from Trunk, saying the long-awaited "Chinese Democracy" CD will be out in the fall, and deflected others. He declined to identify the band's new lead guitarist or explain why he aborted a 2002 tour beyond saying the tour wasn't his idea.

He seemed relaxed and good-natured and had only one request: no photos.

"I wanted to offer a comfort zone," said Trunk. "I wanted him to feel like he could just hang out, while at the same time giving some information to the audience."

As word spread, that audience exploded. In half an hour, WAXQ's Web stream had crashed from overload, making fans wait until audio circulated later that day.

In one minidrama, the visit closed a bit of unfinished business for Trunk and his pal Mike Piazza, who were rebuked by Rose several years ago for playing an unreleased GNR track. Saturday morning, Trunk called Piazza, who also was incredulous at first that Rose was really there, and they talked it out.

"I think that was big for Mike," said Trunk. "He's such a fan of the band, this had been weighing on him."

Everyone had enough fun that Trunk's show, which normally ends at 2 a.m., ran an extra hour with WAXQ's blessing.

"That's one of the great things about 'Friday Night Rocks,'" said Trunk. "It's not structured, like so many other shows are. We can do things like this."

After the show the hang-out continued, with Rose inviting everyone to a nightclub to keep talking music. Trunk said he got home around 6 a.m.

"I've been doing this for 23 years," he said. "This is one of those one or two nights you'll never forget."

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 07:15:14 PM »

Saw that in the daily news.. Wish he would have said something about the guitar player or the tour, at least one we will definetly know in a week..
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: