Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:34:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 444586 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2003, 06:11:08 AM »

Do u think Metallica would have been better if Dave Mustaine had stayed? Yes i know he was an obnoxious drunk but surely it can't be a coinicidence that two of Metallica's best albums 'Kill 'em all' and 'Ride the Lightning' both feature songs he wrote and surely must have written guitar parts for too?

Don't get me wrong i think Kirk Hammet is one of the most under rated guiatrists out there but I just wanted to see what you lot thought as i ain't even sure myself.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2003, 01:11:24 PM »

I don't think metallica would have been better with dave.I think kirk kicks daves ass as far as playing goes and I think kirk is one of the reasons metallica is so great
« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 02:01:25 PM by chineseilussions » Logged
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2003, 04:46:04 PM »

I think, if Mustaine had stayed, we wouldn't have Load, ReLoad or St Anger on our hands because Mustaine has ethics.  So yes, Metallica would have been infinitely better.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2003, 10:58:45 AM »

I like Dave better than Kirk, but we wouldn't have Megadeth if it weren't for him...

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2003, 02:13:46 PM »

I think, if Mustaine had stayed, we wouldn't have Load, ReLoad or St Anger on our hands because Mustaine has ethics.  So yes, Metallica would have been infinitely better.

Whats wrong with load,reload and,st anger? I own 2 of those 3 albums and they are pretty good,I think it shows Metallica is not afraid to change the sound of the music .St.anger is a verry raw album and I know people hate the lack of solos but I realy don't  think thats such a huge deal ,I think it shows that kirk doesn't have to show off his skills on every song and just wants to play.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2003, 02:59:33 PM »

Load and ReLoad aren't terribl, they're just nowhere near the same level as the albums that came before them.  St Anger has the worst production I have ever heard on anything ever.  

It's like, they couldn't have made it sound more shitty if they tried.  It would have sounded better if they'd stood in a room with one mic and just played the song and recorded it live.  It sounds like they went out of their way to make the drums sound like shit.

And there are no solos.  Now, you can say what you want about whether or not the songs need them, but they are simply following the trends.  If they'd done this in the 80's with no solos, that would have been a step forward, something new, but now, they're just copying the whole of the rest of the "metal" world by cutting them.  It's not showing how brave they are by having no solos, it's showing their true cowardice.

And they're playing in Drop C.  What the fuck.  They might as well hire three more drummers and re-name themselves shitknot.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 03:01:16 PM by Miz » Logged

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
WagMyDog
doesn't HATE big boobs
VIP

Tyr's hand...

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2003, 03:09:58 PM »

You know .. there's the good kind of evolving and the bad kind...

The Black Album was seen as the good kind ...

Load .. and onwards has been seen by many as the bad kind.

Now, Megadeth ... they evolved amazingly IMO .. and yet you could always tell it was Megadeth ...

But still Metallica was Metallica ... and you can't beat that ...

So should he have stayed back?

Depends on whether you wanted Metallica or Megadeth ...

Personally I think it was great that he left ...

(Would And Justice for all .. have happened if he'd stayed?)

No.
Lionel Hutz
Attorney-at-law
VIP

In loving memory of Phil Hartman

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2003, 03:34:51 PM »

Well, Hammett is boring most of the time, and I really like(d) Megadeth, but I'd still rather take Hammett over Mustaine, for some reason Undecided If Mustaine had stayed, I believe Metallica would have quit a long time ago, and only made a few albums that started to repeat themselves after a while. But who knows... Roll Eyes
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2003, 03:42:08 PM »

I think if Mustaine had stayed then Metallica would have imploded, just look at James's problems and what Dave was kicked outta the band for.

Who knows though..hindsight is a wonderful thing.

E-Hogg
estranged88
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2003, 09:26:06 PM »

Ok i know mustain was lead guitar in metallica....then why the hell did he play rhythem in megadeth!!! i dont get it

therefore, since i have never heard mustain play lead..i prefer hammet

Why do you cook stove top in the oven???
mortismurphy
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2003, 11:38:16 PM »

I think, if Mustaine had stayed, we wouldn't have Load, ReLoad or St Anger on our hands because Mustaine has ethics.  

And Megadeth would never have made Risk
WagMyDog
doesn't HATE big boobs
VIP

Tyr's hand...

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2003, 03:47:17 AM »

Ok i know mustain was lead guitar in metallica....then why the hell did he play rhythem in megadeth!!! i dont get it

therefore, since i have never heard mustain play lead..i prefer hammet

I think it goes like this ... {eg: okay guitar player < better guitar player}

Hetfield < Mustaine

Hetfield < Hammet

Mustaine ? Hammet

Mustaine < Friedman (Megadeth's lead)

I think that's it ... and that's why Mustaine was rhythm in Megadeth ... HOWEVER .. just like Hetfield played lead in some songs .. Mustaine played lead sometimes too .. Check out stuff like Hangar 18 .. both Mustaine and Friedman play lead in that ..

No.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2003, 04:02:20 AM »

yeah but look how much more popular metallica is then megadeth, megadeth are a forgotten band now by the masses they have their hardcore following but shit metallica are still a force

so i think it was a good thing cause dave fucked up the chemistry and as we have seen chemistry is a highly under rated ingredient

holy fuck im a legend now!!!!!!!!!!!! fuck yeah that rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 04:03:30 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2003, 09:00:33 AM »

I was just listening to 'Rust in peace'....gotta say i wasn't blown away, and the guitar work was only okay, so i think I would have to go for Hammet.

And to those that thing Load, Reload and St Anger aren't so bad....go buy/copy/steal 'Kill em all', 'Ride the lightning' and 'Master of Puppets'......by the time u have finsihed listening to them u will agree that Nu-Metallica is very poor.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
mortismurphy
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2003, 10:52:41 AM »

well i like the loads but thought st anger was just dogshit
jd#7w
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2003, 03:39:11 PM »

for musical direction id rather have mustaine but hammet is def a better guitarist
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2003, 10:29:15 PM »

Well I have to say that is better that Mustaine have left metallica, cause if he had stay Megadeth wouldn't exits, and megadeth is way better than metallica!!  yes, that people know more metallica than megadeth that's other history, but Mr. Mustaine was very intelligent to make a different kind of music than metallica, because metallica and megadeth is not the same kind of music!!, even though they have the same roots.  peace

No man can be my equal
rawkr
Whip it... whip it good!
VIP

do what thou will shall be the whole of thy law

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2003, 12:34:10 PM »

From blabbermouth.net:

METALLICA: 'Some Kind of Monster' Movie To Receive Theatrical Release By March - Oct. 16, 2003

"Some Kind of Monster", a movie about the hardships, struggles and frustrations METALLICA experienced while creating "St. Anger", has been submitted to the Sundance Film festival for consideration, and several distributors are interested in releasing the movie, which should be in theaters by March, according to MTV.com. The makers of the film expect the movie to show across the country, but possibly not all at once. METALLICA's management, Q-Prime, is considering releasing the movie to cities a week or two before the band's tour plays there.

In addition, director Joe Berlinger, who created the film with partner Bruce Sinofsky over the past two and a half years, is writing a book that'll document his experience in greater detail. "It will be designed to tie into the DVD release of the film, which will be in late summer or early fall of next year," he said. "The movie gives a really great portrait of these guys, but we shot 1,200 hours of material, and now the film is a hair over two hours long. There's so much more to tell."

Imagine how long a making of Chinese Democracy movie would have been. hihi
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 12:37:04 PM by rawkr » Logged

Beat me, bite me, treat me bad, untie me and I promise not to bite...too hard.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2003, 12:57:10 PM »

Imagine how long a making of Chinese Democracy movie would have been. hihi

They'd cut it down to 90-120 minutes....

Ten years later we'd get the full "uncut director's cut".  Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2003, 01:03:52 PM »

I really can't see this being all that interesting...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: