Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 12:39:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 457854 times)
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2004, 05:36:53 PM »

whatever guys..try to be happy for me..lol...its gonna be agood show

Hey - we don't dispute that - they play the old stuff!

Even that doesn't work for me anymore.. I don't know, it was just a fairly boring show, even though the setlist was awesome. I saw them at a stadium with 46 000 people though, maybe it would've been nicer in a smaller setting.

What also vexes me is that I don't think much of the guys anymore, and that takes something away from the show as well. When you regard the musicians in front of you as stupid losers, it makes it a bit harder to try and enjoy the music.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #201 on: August 06, 2004, 11:35:32 PM »

Lars is a prick.  I have more respect for Busted.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2004, 11:13:18 AM »

Lars is one of the best drummers of all time...and ya Metallica wanted to try something new with St.Anger...i dont agree with it..but theyve got the fame to do it..we dont...they know how to make music...we dont...and its in toronto and toronto usually always has good crowds

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2004, 08:15:25 PM »

they know how to make music

That's the whole point: seems that James and Lars have lost their touch, they don't know how to make music anymore.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2004, 11:01:05 PM »

You guys are joking! Lar's never had a "touch".  hihi He was always the least talented member of Metallica. The only way Metallica could ever gain credibility again is if they pretended they never released anything after ...And Justice For All. Even the Black Album.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2004, 10:11:21 AM »

come on man give them some respect...Fuel is an awsome tune..Until It sleeps..Hero of the day..there good tunes..

and u cant say they dont have it anymore..the montreal show sold out in three hours.

If you ask me there kinda like the stones...no one goes to see them play the new tunes..just the old ones..but that dosent mean they dont have it anymore

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #206 on: August 09, 2004, 06:07:48 PM »

I caught the end of Metallica at Download Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman rock live

EEEERRRR Little boy
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #207 on: August 13, 2004, 08:05:07 PM »

Just to add more fuel to the fire here's a review from knac.com of the EP:

Not having made quite enough money yet, Metallica is now looking to rake it in at the box office. And the peasants wept.

Some Kind of Monster is an EP, which used to stand for Extended Play -- back in the days of vinyl, EPs were sort of like singles, (only with three or four songs instead of two) hence the "extended." Unfortunately in the days of the compact disc, EP has come to stand for Enhanced Price. Vinyl EPs were often printed on 10-inch discs, midway between the single's 7-inch and the LP's 12-inch size. With CD technology, physical size doesn't matter anymore, and so an EP is just an excuse to jack a few more dollars out of the fans when you don't have enough material for a full album.

Compounding Metallica's complicity in this shameless flood of merchandising is the material on the disc. Two versions of the title track sandwich a half-dozen live cuts of songs from the days when Metallica was something more potent than a vehicle for inflating Lars Ulrich's bank balance.

The tracks were recorded in Paris in 2003, and include "The Four Horsemen," "Motorbreath" and "Hit The Lights," from 1983's Kill 'Em All, and the title track from 1984's Ride The Lightning and "Damage Inc." and Leper Messiah" from 1986's Master of Puppets.

That Metallica no longer makes music of this complexity and power, and has in fact distanced themselves from their earlier work, apparently makes no difference, nor does the fact that the band could as easily have released an entire live album from the Paris shows and given the fans a considerably larger bang for their buck. In fact, it's the new song, "Some Kind Of Monster," that illustrates most pointedly what's gone wrong. It's basically a rap metal track, and it shows that the band is so far gone it's trying to cash in on a trend that's already dead.

Indeed, where it was once a snarling and fearsome beast, Metallica has become "Some Kind of Monster"... a money monster -- instead of a musical monster.

More's the pity.

* ?
campos
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #208 on: August 13, 2004, 10:02:09 PM »

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #209 on: August 14, 2004, 10:31:02 AM »

You guys who bash Justice need to give it another good listen, and really listen to it. It's Metallica's best album. Puppets was loaded with crap like Leper Messiah and The Thing That Should Not Be, and Disposable Heroes is an 8 minute song that should have only lasted 4 minutes. Lars is a loser for thinking St. Anger is better than Justice.

I think Metallica was getting better even after Cliff died. That's the sad thing about their selling out. They didn't have to. They could have continued to make great thrash.
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #210 on: August 14, 2004, 10:39:36 PM »

You guys who bash Justice need to give it another good listen, and really listen to it. It's Metallica's best album. Puppets was loaded with crap like Leper Messiah and The Thing That Should Not Be, and Disposable Heroes is an 8 minute song that should have only lasted 4 minutes.

The Thing That Should Not Be and Disposable Heroes are GREAT songs, especially the latter, which is a thrash epic if I ever heard one.  Master Of Puppets and Justice are both ambitious, but MOP has better solos, better production, better riffs, AND is less self-indulgent.  Show me a Justice track and I can give you a Master of Puppets track that betters it.  I mean, you can't tell me that "To Live Is To Die", a long, grooveless bore, is a better instrumental than "Orion", which has good atmosphere and a great outro solo.  "Battery" is a far superior album opener to "Blackened", which is sort of like an attempt to repeat "Fight Fire With Fire" thematically.  "Master Of Puppets" is obviously a better title track than that of "...And Justice For All."  And finally....on Master Of Puppets, you can hear the bass.  And what a bass player.
Eeebs
I was kissed by Matt Sorum!!
VIP

Riot Act

« Reply #211 on: August 14, 2004, 11:05:17 PM »

You know, I have never been a real fan of Metallica.  I am not familiar with their work, or any of their albums.  However, I am interested in seeing this film (bad review and all Smiley).  I think it would give an interesting look at the inner workings of a band relationship... I would also like to see those band / psychiatrist sessions.  Yeah... hopefully I will see this movie soon.  It looks like it could be a good one.  Then again, from what I understand, Metallica is known as somewhat as a sell out sorta deal... so... yeah! 
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #212 on: August 15, 2004, 01:16:02 PM »

The link won't work for me - Sludge have changed their website it seems?

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #213 on: August 15, 2004, 07:04:24 PM »

The link won't work for me - Sludge have changed their website it seems?
No, you're just not Metal enough.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #214 on: August 15, 2004, 08:22:05 PM »

Ian Robinson is a fat nerd sorry but he is

EEEERRRR Little boy
Duff_McKagen
« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2004, 10:24:06 AM »

Have you been ripped off by buying St. Anger?  rant
Does it financially scar you?  crying
Does it embarass you?  Embarrassed

If so, don't put up with this anymore, head on to www.encycmet.com on the forums and complain away, me and many others have had fun doing so.
Justgoneforaslash
Opening Act

SLASH RULES

« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2004, 10:26:45 AM »

I really hate St anger, it sucks balls,  ive been on that metallica site and it is fun mentally battering metallica fans
Duff_McKagen
« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2004, 10:48:45 AM »

Metallica are idiots apart from Kirk and Robert Trujillo, I have way more respect for Jason Newsted than Lars and Lames.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2004, 12:42:29 PM »

No. Spamming about a bad album is just stupid. I bet all the fans on that site hate St. Anger just as much as you do.
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2004, 02:26:34 PM »

spamming and battering metallica fans is stupid. Besides with the 10 billion delays on chinese democracy what is it they say about people who live in glass houses? That's right you shouldn't shit! cause everyone can see you. Not sure that expression applies here but I am sure it works somehow. I have always listened to metallica tho and the root idea of thsi thread is right-st anger is atrocious. I am not sure if I have played it since the day I bought it.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: