Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:12:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227801 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 447405 times)
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #2560 on: April 29, 2011, 11:12:10 PM »

Fuck yeah!

Except I think I may be in Florida then...
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #2561 on: April 29, 2011, 11:19:25 PM »

cancel your Florida trip.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #2562 on: April 30, 2011, 06:26:05 AM »

cancel your life.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2563 on: May 02, 2011, 06:29:48 PM »

225 bucks for GA!!! damn it, it will be easier if i just set up direct deposit so half my paycheck goes to Lars bank account!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2564 on: May 04, 2011, 10:06:24 AM »

Just got my ticket to The Big 4 at Yankee Stadium!!!!!   Only 270 bucks for VIP GA.... rofl
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2565 on: May 09, 2011, 01:46:29 PM »

A short message from James Hetfield:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ticketing/TheBig4.jsp

And:

'Big Four' At Yankee Stadium: New Trailer Released - May 6, 2011

Following last month's first U.S. "Big Four" concert in Indio, California on April 23, a second U.S. show featuring METALLICA, SLAYER, MEGADETH and ANTHRAX has been confirmed for September 14 at the new version of the legendary Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, New York City.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=157773

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2566 on: May 16, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »

Metallica's James Hetfield talks fatherhood at Mesa Q&A

Fans of Metallica will likely remember the documentary "Some Kind Of Monster" which documented the difficulties the members of Metallica were going through at the time of recording their album "St. Anger," particularly the strained relationship of Ulrich and Hetfeld.

"It was so heated, it was so much passion but a lot of it was driven by fear," he told the crowd. "And we knew deep down that we loved each other so much that nothing was going to tear us apart - even the worst kind of fight that was going on right then or him screaming the f-word in my face. Okay, you get it out. Now, the relationship is unbelievable. We are able to treat each other like brothers."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/music/articles/2011/05/13/20110513james-hetfield-mesa-absent-documentary.html#ixzz1MXXptGtr

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2567 on: May 21, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »

From Mick Wall:

Speaking of Metallica, I hear you've tackled their story in your next book. Care to share a bit about that?

Yes, I've finished a biography on Metallica called Enter Night. It should be out in the US sometime this spring [May 10th].

Unlike Zeppelin, Metallica are still very much alive. With the release of Death Magnetic (2008), many among the Metallica faithful are convinced that the band still have something important to say. What made you decide to take on Metallica at this point in their career?

It's not necessary to only write a book when the story is over. Metallica celebrate their 30th anniversary this year, which means they have been together nearly three times longer than Zeppelin were, or nearly four times longer than the Beatles. That's plenty to be going on with.

Also, they've reached an interesting moment in their story, seemingly coming full-circle. Except that that's an illusion. They are probably even further away right now from their Eighties selves, musically and personally, than they've ever been. They are less like a band now and more of a franchise. And that is a truly remarkable achievement for a group that set out positioned so far out on the edge. That's certainly something none of their peers has had the brains or talent to consider, let alone come close to emulating.

Also, just like Zep, I didn't see a good book out there on them that I would find captivating. The closest was Joel McIver's book, which I admire, but it's more of a fan book, packed with great info, but essentially written by a fan for other fans. I admire and respect Metallica but I was never a fan. How could I be when I'm older than them? And I don't write fan books anymore. I write books, not for them - the band or the fans, but for us, the general reading population, dig?

I get it, although it seems that the subjects of such bios rarely do. Care to share any of the new revelations we can expect in Enter Night?

Well, it's hard because obviously I don't want to spoil things by giving away the good stuff. I would rather make the point that this is not a book written by a Metallica fan for other Metallica fans. This is a book written by an author who has known the band off and on, for over 25 years, who has known all the other big rock bands of the same era and before and many since, and who has also worked in the record biz as a PR, a manager and a record company exec. And who has written it for other grown-ups who have experienced life and who are big enough boys and girls to hear the truth, not the fairy tales.

So, no, they did not carry on after Cliff Burton (Metallica bassist who was killed in 1986) died because that was what Ciff would have wanted, as every other book and story you've ever read on the subject tells you. No, they carried on because that's what Lars (Ulrich, Metallica drummer) and James (Hetfield, Metallica guitarist) wanted. Cliff, in fact, had been talking to James about replacing Lars just before he died.

Whoa...

Another example- yes of course they "sold out" by making the Black album with (producer) Bob Rock. That's what makes them so great. How much duller would their story be if they had stayed like Slayer and just stayed "true to their roots?" Instead, they did an utterly fabulous thing and made an album not only better than the ones Bon Jovi and Guns N' Roses had been making but that sold more. An act of courage and vision entirely lacking in most other groups.

And yes they really did want to sack Jason (Newsted, former Metallica bassist who replaced Burton) within weeks of him joining. They were talked out of it by their very shrewd manager Peter Mensch, but Jason remained the bitch of the group for the rest of his time with them. But these are just a few facets to the larger story. There really is much more in the book.

I have to ask this, and it's somewhat loaded -- Lars Ulrich often comes across as opinionated, somewhat arrogant, and he seems to revel in his accomplishments. Is this a fair assessment? What's it like to interview him?

Lars is all those things and a hell of a lot more. I spoke to him again two weeks ago actually. He told me he'd bought the book and apologized for turning down the opportunity to be more directly involved in it. He wanted to be sure I knew it wasn't a personal reflection on me. I had made them aware I was doing the book early on and made the same offer I had to Jimmy Page, about wanting to be as involved or not as they felt comfortable with. They passed, saying they felt the time wasn't right for them to get all their skeletons out of the closet just yet, which I respected. Lars said that "We knew that if anyone would write a great Metallica book it would be you." Class, see. And shrewd. I admire that very, very much.

Unlike most of the rock stars I've worked with over the past 35 years, he really does have a big brain. In terms of what it's like to interview him, it's easy because he loves to talk. It's hard to get the right questions answered sometimes because he's slick and he's not going to blow his future plans, but he will make sure you go away with plenty of stuff to write about. And he's funny and good company.

http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/jdaly/2011/03/a-voice-in-the-rock-and-roll-wilderness-an-interview-with-rock-journalist-mick-wall/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2568 on: May 26, 2011, 12:09:20 PM »

Metallica's Lars Ulrich On His Cult Heroes

05/25/11

This week?s issue of the magazine celebrates music?s Ultimate Cult Heroes, from Syd Barrett to Jay Reatard, Mark E. Smith and The Sonics. Here, in an extended extract from the mag, Metallica's drummer Lars Ulrich talks us through his own cult heroes, Television...

To me, Television?s first record still sounds as fresh today and as all-round awesome as it did in 1977. I grew up in Copenhagen, and pretty much I got everything I knew about music came from this tiny record store there. There weren?t any Danish music periodicals, so it was all word of mouth in this place, and I remember this guy called Tim who put me onto all kind of things ? including 'Marquee Moon'.

Television played Copenhagen around the time it came in, and I saw them in this tiny venue. The Pistols had played in Copenhagen in June or July of 77, the Ramones played as well. ACDC came down too, and played in early September. So in the span of about three months the Pistols, Ramones, ACDC and Television had all played in my home town as headline acts. Excellent! Those concerts were actually what kept me alive at that time.

With Television, I got the sense that here was a real band who were really connecting with each other. Obviously Tom Verlaine was the mainman, but some of the songs on that first album, like 'Friction', are just so intricate. That one's actually like this real hard rock track too. Don?t tell anyone this but 'Marquee Moon' is one of my secret tracks for Metallica to play. I'm gonna try and sneak that one in there without anyone noticing!

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=125&p=10371&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2569 on: May 31, 2011, 01:29:05 PM »

Gibson's Drum Roll: The Top 10 Rock Drummers of All Time

1. John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
2. Neal Peart (Rush)
3. Keith Moon (The Who)
4. Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Them Crooked Vultures)
5. Lars Ulrich (Metallica)
6. Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)
7. Ginger Baker (Cream)
8. Josh Freese (A Perfect Circle, Devo, Nine Inch Nails)
9. Stewart Copeland (The Police, Oysterhead)
10. Ringo Starr (The Beatles)

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/top-rock-drummers-0531-2011/

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #2570 on: June 08, 2011, 12:09:18 PM »

I saw U2 last night in Oakland and much to my surprise, both Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield walked right in front of me on their way to the VIP section they watched the show from.

But, from the stage last night, Bono said there was a meeting the previous evening, which he referred to as the "G3 Summit".  He said although he wasn't able to be there, it involved members of Green Day, U2 and Metallica.  The Edge said they talked about doing a big tour together.

We'll see if it happens, but that's what was announced at the show last night.

Ali
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #2571 on: June 09, 2011, 12:56:42 AM »

Gibson's Drum Roll: The Top 10 Rock Drummers of All Time

1. John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
2. Neal Peart (Rush)
3. Keith Moon (The Who)
4. Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Them Crooked Vultures)
5. Lars Ulrich (Metallica)
6. Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)
7. Ginger Baker (Cream)
8. Josh Freese (A Perfect Circle, Devo, Nine Inch Nails)
9. Stewart Copeland (The Police, Oysterhead)
10. Ringo Starr (The Beatles)

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/top-rock-drummers-0531-2011/

How is there no Bill Ward (Black Sabbath) or Vinnie Paul (Pantera)?

Dead Set people are dickheads!

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2572 on: June 09, 2011, 10:32:14 AM »

From Mick Wall:

Speaking of Metallica, I hear you've tackled their story in your next book. Care to share a bit about that?

Yes, I've finished a biography on Metallica called Enter Night. It should be out in the US sometime this spring [May 10th].

Mick Wall is the biggest hack in this history of journalism.  Actually, what he does should not even be considered journalism.  He is paparazzi in it's lowest form.  I mean not that any of this needs to even be said on a GNR message board, we already know this.

I love how he is desperately trying to dig up dirt on the most successful band in 30 years.  Also a band that already publicly aired out its dirty laundry in a movie!  So why would anyone want to pick this piece of trash up?  I read a few pages of his Axl Rose book and laughed.

The best part was when he said how he obviously couldn't be a fan of Metallica cause he is older than them.  What a crock of shit.  I like a lot of bands who are younger than me.  There are many bands in their early 20's that I am a huge fan of.  This guy is a clown.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #2573 on: June 09, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »

From Mick Wall:

Mick Wall is the biggest hack in this history of journalism.  Actually, what he does should not even be considered journalism.  He is paparazzi in it's lowest form.  I mean not that any of this needs to even be said on a GNR message board, we already know this.

I love how he is desperately trying to dig up dirt on the most successful band in 30 years.  Also a band that already publicly aired out its dirty laundry in a movie!  So why would anyone want to pick this piece of trash up?  I read a few pages of his Axl Rose book and laughed.

The best part was when he said how he obviously couldn't be a fan of Metallica cause he is older than them.  What a crock of shit.  I like a lot of bands who are younger than me.  There are many bands in their early 20's that I am a huge fan of.  This guy is a clown.

His Axl book was a joke. It was made up entirely of stuff that came from other articles. Some 20 years old. If you had read the Rolling Stone article from 2000, you'd read 3/4 of the book. Don't know what he did with Metallica and don't want to know.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2574 on: June 14, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »

Big 4 Will Step Up Live Show

Scott Ian from Anthrax says the Big 4 of thrash metal will step up their usual end-of-show live jams with something even better.

"I did have a talk with Lars Ulrich about something for the Yankee Stadium show," Ian said. "It?s something different. It?s great getting up and doing Am I Evil, but the full song is too much so we?re only up there for two and a half minutes. We want to be up there longer, so we talked about some other things to do that?ll enable us to be up there and enjoy the time."

Ian says they might even have the new plans in place for the Sonisphere festivals across Europe, but it hasn?t been decided. After all, his first child is due and he?ll have to miss several shows: "It would take something like [a baby] not to play the Big 4 shows. I can?t believe I?m not going to be there."

Video: http://www.rockaaa.com/download-news/ian-back-with-anthrax-soon-5918

Dead N' Bloated
Legend

« Reply #2575 on: June 15, 2011, 09:16:17 PM »

METALLOPOLY!

http://www.metallica.com/news/20110613_news.asp

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #2576 on: June 15, 2011, 09:24:37 PM »

Haha, I was about to say I was surprised KISS didn't get there before them, but it turns out they did. Tongue

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

« Reply #2577 on: June 16, 2011, 02:16:52 AM »

http://www.metallica.com/news/20110615_news.asp

Secret Recording Project?
June 15, 2011

A few months ago our own Kirk Hammett hinted at a new Metallica project that's "not really 100 percent a Metallica record."   While Kirk may have jumped the gun a little (and has since been properly punished with a series of push-ups!), we are more than proud to announce that we have just completed recording a full length album that is a collaboration with none other than the legendary Lou Reed.

Ever since we had the pleasure of performing with Lou at the 25th Anniversary of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at Madison Square Garden in October of 2009, we have been kicking around the idea of making a record together.  Some of you astute Bay Area residents may have picked up news of recent Lou Reed sightings in the greater San Francisco area and we have indeed been working at our home studio at HQ on and off over the last few months.  In what would be lightning speed for a Metallica related project, we recorded ten songs during this time and while at this moment we're not exactly sure when you'll hear it, we're beyond excited to share with you that the recording sessions wrapped up last week.

A true innovator and easily one of the most influential songwriters, musicians, and performers in rock music history, Lou's work with the Velvet Underground and as a solo artist has such an enduring quality that he has long been revered and respected by us and many of our peers.  We can't wait for you to listen to the finished record, so as we like to hear ourselves say around here, keep watching this spot for updates . . . we'll be back with more details as they come together.

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #2578 on: June 16, 2011, 06:17:56 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/blogs/alternate-take/exclusive-metallica-and-lou-reed-join-forces-on-new-album-20110615
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2579 on: June 23, 2011, 12:49:38 PM »

Kirk Hammett Photo Shoot in Hawaii

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF2IC9zPfVQ

KIRK HAMMETT COVER STORY PHOTO OUTTAKES

http://www.guitaraficionado.com/kirk-hammett-cover-story-photo-outtakes.html

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: