Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:12:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227669 Posts in 43239 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 443339 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2600 on: October 20, 2011, 01:37:37 PM »

Undecided

METALLICA And LOU REED: Official 'Lulu' Full-Album Stream Available - Oct. 19, 2011

"Lulu", the musical collaboration between Lou Reed and METALLICA, is now available for streaming in its entirety at LouReedMetallica.com.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164917

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2601 on: October 20, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »

Undecided

METALLICA And LOU REED: Official 'Lulu' Full-Album Stream Available - Oct. 19, 2011

"Lulu", the musical collaboration between Lou Reed and METALLICA, is now available for streaming in its entirety at LouReedMetallica.com.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164917

I'm going to give this a whirl, but I am going into it like a sane rational person.  This is NOT the new Metallica album, it is an experiment with another artist from a completely different genre.  I am expecting it to be a mess, but I applaud Metallica for not being too scared to step out of their comfort zone.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #2602 on: October 20, 2011, 09:23:01 PM »

I had a listen through, and to me sounds like Grandpa Simpson talking over a metal band jamming in the background... hihi

Damn shame too, there's some good stuff instrumentally there, particularly Mistress Dread, which is an all out thrash-fest in parts!

Safe to say that I won't be buying this. Probably the first Metallica-related project that I don't purchase.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #2603 on: October 20, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »

Metallica is one of those bands like Motley Crue, who I never listen too. I've never been interested in them, but know alot of people like them.  Shocked
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2604 on: October 21, 2011, 12:23:10 AM »

Metallica is one of those bands like Motley Crue, who I never listen too. I've never been interested in them, but know alot of people like them.  Shocked

please dont put Metallica and Motley Crue in the same sentence... thanks.   Damn it I just did it too...   Smiley
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2605 on: October 21, 2011, 12:24:08 AM »

yeah it sounds a lot like me trying to listen to Metallica as my dad tries to talk over my stereo to tell me something.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #2606 on: October 21, 2011, 12:42:25 AM »

please dont put Metallica and Motley Crue in the same sentence... thanks.   Damn it I just did it too...   Smiley

I know Metallica are highly regarded as better than them, it's just that even though one of my best friends loves them, I've never really seemed interested in checking them out. I don't know if it's because I don't like James' voice, or because their music seems heavy and repetitive, or it might be there "hard rock/metal" image.

That's why I've always loved GN'R, because they looked cool and had an image which would fit into a cartoon. And their music can be soft and rocking, and on top of that I've always prefered a voice like Axls which is soft and sometimes high pitched, rather than a typical hard rock deep raw kind of a voice.

Not dissing Metallica, I know they are amazing at what they do, and have a huge fanbase.  Wink
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2607 on: October 21, 2011, 01:44:38 AM »

Not dissing Metallica, I know they are amazing at what they do, and have a huge fanbase.  Wink

haha yeah I know im just messing with ya.  It is a little strange that you never checked out Metallica for the simple fact that they are unavoidable,  they are everywhere.  Needless to say if you ever do decide to check them out, please don't start with this album with Lou Reed.   hihi
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #2608 on: October 21, 2011, 09:48:43 AM »

I know Metallica are highly regarded as better than them, it's just that even though one of my best friends loves them, I've never really seemed interested in checking them out. I don't know if it's because I don't like James' voice, or because their music seems heavy and repetitive, or it might be there "hard rock/metal" image.

That's why I've always loved GN'R, because they looked cool and had an image which would fit into a cartoon. And their music can be soft and rocking, and on top of that I've always prefered a voice like Axls which is soft and sometimes high pitched, rather than a typical hard rock deep raw kind of a voice.

I would check out Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice for All.. if you haven't already.
James voice has changed drastically over the years. In my opinion it was much better on the early records. He has since changed his style of singing on top of the change in his voice.
He was a very crafty songwriter. His lyrics were more creative than I think he gets credit for. Pretty versatile as well. They had a well rounded sound, not just typical heavy metal.
I'm sure you've heard Fade to Black?

I don't keep up with them much anymore, but growing up if I wasn't listening to Guns N' Roses, I was most likely listening to Metallica.
Guns N' Roses/Metallica Tour was the best possible pairing as far as I was concerned.

As for this Lulu album, haven't checked it out yet. I've never been a big fan of Lou Reed, but I'll give it a spin.
justincrowe
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #2609 on: October 21, 2011, 11:28:38 AM »

yeah it sounds a lot like me trying to listen to Metallica as my dad tries to talk over my stereo to tell me something.

ha ha, yeah that's actually a pretty good description.

the album is horrendous. this quote from a review pretty much nails it too:

For the majority of this ghastly, tuneless work, the protagonists rarely sound in tandem. Over great swathes of the album, the effect is that of Lou Reed ranting over some Metallica demos that were never intended for human consumption. At its best, the effect is that of two records being played over each other.

08.14.91 - Icehall, Helsinki, Finland
07.06.06 - Hartwall Arena, Helsinki, Finland
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #2610 on: October 22, 2011, 07:34:34 AM »

Well, these comments have given me great confidence in my decision to pre-order the album without having heard any of it. I like Metallica and The Velvet Underground so thought I might like this. I'll see how it goes.

I've hardly ever gone back and listened to any of Death Magnetic so I'm not sure if that's a good sign either....

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2611 on: October 30, 2011, 07:48:26 PM »

Cant blame this one on Axl

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopthepresses/392291/postponed-f1-metallica-gig-now-canceled/

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2612 on: November 09, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »

Undecided

LOU REED And METALLICA's 'Lulu' Sells Only 13,000 Copies In USA - Nov. 9, 2011

METALLICA's collaborative album with Lou Reed, titled "Lulu", sold 13,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 36 on The Billboard 200 chart. By contrast, METALLICA's last studio effort, 2008's "Death Magnetic", sold 490,000 copies in just a three-day sales window after it came out on a Friday, with sales tracked through the following Sunday.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=165858

axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #2613 on: November 09, 2011, 11:42:47 AM »

Undecided

LOU REED And METALLICA's 'Lulu' Sells Only 13,000 Copies In USA - Nov. 9, 2011

METALLICA's collaborative album with Lou Reed, titled "Lulu", sold 13,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 36 on The Billboard 200 chart. By contrast, METALLICA's last studio effort, 2008's "Death Magnetic", sold 490,000 copies in just a three-day sales window after it came out on a Friday, with sales tracked through the following Sunday.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=165858

Were you expecting more? Haha

Axl is God.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2614 on: November 09, 2011, 11:50:04 AM »

No, the reviews/feedback have been horrible.  But they can't be pleased with that number. Lips Sealed

axlrosegnr
Legend

« Reply #2615 on: November 09, 2011, 03:48:07 PM »

No, the reviews/feedback have been horrible.  But they can't be pleased with that number. Lips Sealed

I respect the fact that they did an album they wanted to do. Fine. But surely they had to of known it wasn't gonan be a hit, lol.

Axl is God.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2616 on: November 09, 2011, 04:10:47 PM »

But surely they had to of known it wasn't gonan be a hit, lol.

I'm not so sure. hihi

METALLICA Guitarist: 'Lulu' Is 'One Of The Best Things We've Ever Done' - Oct. 15, 2011

METALLICA's LARS ULRICH On 'Lulu': 'I'm Invigorated At How Awesome The Record Turned Out' - Oct. 20, 2011

METALLICA Frontman Says Collaboration With LOU REED Was 'A Great Gift' - Oct. 27, 2011

LOU REED 'Never Doubted For A Second' Collaboration With METALLICA Would Work - Oct. 27, 2011

METALLICA Drummer On 'Lulu': 'We Always Like To Think Outside The Box' - Oct. 25, 2011

LARS ULRICH Says METALLICA And LOU REED Is 'The Most Obvious Collaboration On This Planet Ever' - Oct. 21, 2011

Blabbermouth.net

axlrosegnr
Legend

« Reply #2617 on: November 09, 2011, 06:20:53 PM »

But surely they had to of known it wasn't gonan be a hit, lol.

I'm not so sure. hihi

METALLICA Guitarist: 'Lulu' Is 'One Of The Best Things We've Ever Done' - Oct. 15, 2011

METALLICA's LARS ULRICH On 'Lulu': 'I'm Invigorated At How Awesome The Record Turned Out' - Oct. 20, 2011

METALLICA Frontman Says Collaboration With LOU REED Was 'A Great Gift' - Oct. 27, 2011

LOU REED 'Never Doubted For A Second' Collaboration With METALLICA Would Work - Oct. 27, 2011

METALLICA Drummer On 'Lulu': 'We Always Like To Think Outside The Box' - Oct. 25, 2011

LARS ULRICH Says METALLICA And LOU REED Is 'The Most Obvious Collaboration On This Planet Ever' - Oct. 21, 2011

Blabbermouth.net

Oh wow.....hahaha.

Axl is God.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #2618 on: November 09, 2011, 07:25:08 PM »

In their defense though, has anyone ever put out a record they didn't speak glowingly about?  I mean, what are they supposed to say?  You have to try and "sell" your product.  I think the fact that they're already working on a new METALLICA album speaks to how they knew this wouldn't appease all (many) fans.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
andy1981
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2619 on: November 10, 2011, 05:31:39 AM »

Saw Metallica with Lou on Jules Holland the other night (UK show) and it sucked.
They played 2 songs, tallica were great Lou Reed just made it weird.
Sure you'll be able to get it on the BBC site

fair play for attempting it but it sounded like a bad garage band.

Respected artists in their own right, but together it was lame.

I love Metallica but I won't be buying Lulu
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: