Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:30:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227669 Posts in 43239 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 443307 times)
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #2680 on: October 12, 2012, 01:15:44 PM »

Did anyone dig Death Magnetic?  I liked a lot of the music, but James' voice makes most of the songs nearly unlistenable for me.  I guess he blew it out one too many times.  That, and not many are high on Rubin's production on the album, which seems to be a recurring theme for his work.

His voice is fucking horrible nowadays.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2681 on: October 12, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »

Did anyone dig Death Magnetic?  I liked a lot of the music, but James' voice makes most of the songs nearly unlistenable for me.  I guess he blew it out one too many times.  That, and not many are high on Rubin's production on the album, which seems to be a recurring theme for his work.

Live sure, on the records? It's the same, maybe slightly worse.  The magic of pro tools.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #2682 on: October 13, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »

Live sure, on the records? It's the same, maybe slightly worse.  The magic of pro tools.

Compare his vocals on Death Magnetic to Ride the Lightning -- there is no comparison..

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #2683 on: October 14, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »

So is Axl's, who cares?  It's still a good time.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #2684 on: October 15, 2012, 01:30:15 AM »

Love the way people give the black album shit, puts a smile on my face. I love it. Grew up with it.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2685 on: October 15, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »

Love the way people give the black album shit, puts a smile on my face. I love it. Grew up with it.

It's one of their best albums,  along with the other 4 they put out between 83 and 91.  Those records are cleary a cut above the rest of Metallica's catalog.  Just because people who call themselves "real" metal fans hate the black album doesn't mean the rest of us have to.  These are the  usually the same people who think Slayer is a great band.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:52:52 AM by Bodhi » Logged
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #2686 on: October 15, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »

It's one of their best albums,  along with the other 4 they put out between 83 and 91.  Those records are cleary a cut above the rest of Metallica's catalog.  Just because people who call themselves "real" metal fans hate the black album doesn't mean the rest of us have to.  These are the  usually the same people who think Slayer is a great band.

Slayer IS a great band. The 4 first IS way better than Black Album (I don't say hate, but not like either), but I ain't no real metal fan....

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2687 on: October 15, 2012, 03:58:38 PM »

Slayer IS a great band. The 4 first IS way better than Black Album (I don't say hate, but not like either), but I ain't no real metal fan....

you and I have different ideas of what "great" is.  Slayer is an average band with a great drummer, their songwriting defines the term "one trick pony".  Metallica, Maiden, Sabbath and Megadeth are examples of great metal bands, and I don't even really like Maiden or Sabbath.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #2688 on: October 15, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »

you and I have different ideas of what "great" is.  Slayer is an average band with a great drummer, their songwriting defines the term "one trick pony".  Metallica, Maiden, Sabbath and Megadeth are examples of great metal bands, and I don't even really like Maiden or Sabbath.

How can you think a band's great when you don't like them? Record-sales? Other metal-heads' opinion? Anyway, not gonna argue with you about Slayer, Megadeth or Maiden on this Metallica-thread  Smiley

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2689 on: October 15, 2012, 07:47:32 PM »

How can you think a band's great when you don't like them? Record-sales? Other metal-heads' opinion? Anyway, not gonna argue with you about Slayer, Megadeth or Maiden on this Metallica-thread  Smiley

Because as arrogant as I am, just because I don't like something doesn't mean it is not great.  For example, I don't like Pearl Jam, but look at what they have accomplished, they are a great band.  I agree not to clog the Metallica thread with nonsense on other bands.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #2690 on: November 30, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »

They're starting their own label now.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/metallica-launch-new-record-label-20121130

I wish that Guns would do this.. that would be so awesome if they could get their rights back too....

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2691 on: November 30, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »

It's 2012, I say within another 20 years nobody will have any idea what a "major" label is.  In the last month, Metallica and blink 182, two of the most commercially successful rock bands of the last quarter century have left their labels by their own choice, who's next?

Metallica leaves Warner Music with its masters, forms Blackened Records

November 30, 2012, 11:57 a.m.
Metallica has gone indie.

The band announced on Friday that it has officially left its longtime home, the Warner Music Group, taken its master recordings and formed a new independent label, Blackened Recordings. All forthcoming Metallica projects -- including future studio albums, reissues, live recordings and long- and short-form video work -- will come out via Blackened. The label will also handle its own marketing and promotion, and be distributed by WMG reissue subsidiary Rhino Entertainment.

The timing of the announcement is notable. Under an agreement that Metallica signed in 1994, when the band was at the peak of its commercial powers and the phrase "illegal downloading" sounded more like trucker slang than a music biz concern, the band negotiated that ownership of all of its master recordings would revert to them on Nov. 30, 2012. That day has come.

Much has happened in the intervening 18 years: Haircuts. Symphonic performances.  Napster. Psychotherapy. "St. Anger." A Lou Reed collaboration called "Lulu."

But through it all, Metallica remains. Despite the peaks and valleys its reputation has suffered among some fans and critics, the band has earned respect and kudos for its integrity.

"It's always been about control for us as a band," Metallica's Lars Ulrich said in a statement accompanying the news.  "Forming Blackened Recordings is the ultimate in independence, giving us 100% control and putting us in the driver's seat of our own creative destiny."

Metallica thanked Warner Music for its dedication. When it first signed to the company's Elektra Records subsidiary in 1984, Metallica was co-headlining tours with W.A.S.P. and delivering hard, scary garage metal to the budding masses. Its most recent record (apart from the aforementioned "Lulu") "Death Magnetic," came out on Warner Bros. in 2008, and its subsequent tour made millions.

"We would like to thank everyone at the Warner Music Group for 28 years of a fantastic relationship, particularly since 1994 where we truly felt we had partners in every aspect of our business in North America," said James Hetfield.

Described in the press release as "a home for all of their recordings, both audio and visual, and anything else that suits them," Blackened will debut on Dec. 12 with "Quebec Magnetic," a DVD of a Metallica concert in Toronto in 2009.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2692 on: November 30, 2012, 06:07:34 PM »

It's 2012, I say within another 20 years nobody will have any idea what a "major" label is.  In the last month, Metallica and blink 182, two of the most commercially successful rock bands of the last quarter century have left their labels by their own choice, who's next?

Metallica leaves Warner Music with its masters, forms Blackened Records

November 30, 2012, 11:57 a.m.
Metallica has gone indie.

The band announced on Friday that it has officially left its longtime home, the Warner Music Group, taken its master recordings and formed a new independent label, Blackened Recordings. All forthcoming Metallica projects -- including future studio albums, reissues, live recordings and long- and short-form video work -- will come out via Blackened. The label will also handle its own marketing and promotion, and be distributed by WMG reissue subsidiary Rhino Entertainment.

The timing of the announcement is notable. Under an agreement that Metallica signed in 1994, when the band was at the peak of its commercial powers and the phrase "illegal downloading" sounded more like trucker slang than a music biz concern, the band negotiated that ownership of all of its master recordings would revert to them on Nov. 30, 2012. That day has come.

Much has happened in the intervening 18 years: Haircuts. Symphonic performances.  Napster. Psychotherapy. "St. Anger." A Lou Reed collaboration called "Lulu."

But through it all, Metallica remains. Despite the peaks and valleys its reputation has suffered among some fans and critics, the band has earned respect and kudos for its integrity.

"It's always been about control for us as a band," Metallica's Lars Ulrich said in a statement accompanying the news.  "Forming Blackened Recordings is the ultimate in independence, giving us 100% control and putting us in the driver's seat of our own creative destiny."

Metallica thanked Warner Music for its dedication. When it first signed to the company's Elektra Records subsidiary in 1984, Metallica was co-headlining tours with W.A.S.P. and delivering hard, scary garage metal to the budding masses. Its most recent record (apart from the aforementioned "Lulu") "Death Magnetic," came out on Warner Bros. in 2008, and its subsequent tour made millions.

"We would like to thank everyone at the Warner Music Group for 28 years of a fantastic relationship, particularly since 1994 where we truly felt we had partners in every aspect of our business in North America," said James Hetfield.

Described in the press release as "a home for all of their recordings, both audio and visual, and anything else that suits them," Blackened will debut on Dec. 12 with "Quebec Magnetic," a DVD of a Metallica concert in Toronto in 2009.

Good for them. I'm looking forward to seeing that DVD as well.
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2693 on: December 24, 2012, 09:21:02 AM »

Best choice they've made in years. Axl should have done the same long time ago!

Oh My God i cant deny this...
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #2694 on: January 05, 2013, 12:28:02 AM »

Metallica's Quebec Magnetic is freaking amazing! pick it up!! Lars actually sounds freaking good in this show.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #2695 on: May 07, 2013, 05:18:06 PM »

Revolver magazine recently conducted an interview with METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Revolver: When you look back at METALLICA's 30-plus years, what are you proudest of?

Lars: I'm probably proudest of the fact that we're still around and functioning as a band, making the occasional record, doing other projects, and still being somewhat relevant. After 32 years in the business, that's probably the greatest achievement. Also the fact that we overcame a very well documented meltdown in 2001, 2002, and we not only survived that meltdown but we feel we came back a better band. All the work we put into trying to better ourselves then paid off. As a band, METALLICA is in great shape. We actually talk to each other. We can all be in the same room. We can sit on the same airplane together. We can stay in the same hotel. We can hang out at dinner. And I think that's probably the greatest achievement of all of them.

Revolver: What keeps you together?

Lars: METALLICA is who we are. It's our lives. I was 17 when I formed this band. I've never really known anything else other than a failed attempt at a tennis career. [laughs] I guess obviously it's what defines us. Obviously, there's our families and our children, but in terms of our careers or whatever, it's what we do. And it's something we're fiercely protective of and fiercely proud of. I think the one thing you learn, if you want to be in a band and persevere, is that you have to be able to coexist and you have to find a way to compromise and figure all that stuff out somewhere along the way. Just figure that out. And we realized it was more important for us to be together and survive than for us to not survive. We just worked really hard at that.

Revolver: What do you feel is METALLICA's most underappreciated release?

Lars: I think "Load" and "Reload" are great records. They are creatively on par with every other record we've made. Obviously, they're bluesier records, and at that time, we were listening to a lot of LED ZEPPELIN, DEEP PURPLE, and AC/DC, and we had a different kind of foundation than records before or after. And I understand that there are people who couldn't quite figure out what was going on with the haircuts and the rest of it, and that's fine. But musically, if you strip all that other stuff away, if you just listen to the 27 songs ? "Load" and "Reload" were intended as one double-record ? it's a great collection of songs that is on par with everything else that we've done creatively. But, I mean, who needs another person to sit there and argue about, you know, fucking "Carpe Diem Baby"? They are different records, but that was the intention. [laughs] It's not like we sat there and thought we were remaking "?And Justice For All". [laughs] We are obviously aware of that. But I think personally there's great songs on both of those records and I'm very proud of those records.

Revolver: You're also working on a new METALLICA record. How is it sounding?

Lars: We're in the early stages of writing, and all I can say is there are some good things lurking. It's fun. Between doing the film and the Orion [Music + More] festival, we've been taking a few days here and there to shift through riffs and get all that shit done. We've got to put them into song shape and get our asses in the studio. I hope we can do that by the end of the year, maybe early next year. 2014 is a bit optimistic for the album to come out, so '15 is more realistic. But listen, there's no rush. It's gonna take what it takes. I don't feel stressed about it, but that doesn't mean we don't care. Ten years ago, 20 years ago, we were in this whole cycle where we would write-record-tour, write-record-tour. Now we have a different way of being in the band. We like to play every year, but we don't want to play 200 shows in a row and then take a year off. We like to play 30 shows, 40 shows. It's better than playing 200 shows one year, and then no shows the next year. It's cool to be doing these different types of things and new records are fun and cool, and there will be a new METALLICA record, but I can't stress myself out over it.

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #2696 on: May 09, 2013, 05:51:21 AM »

i love them all but load is actually my favorite tallica record!

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Muerto
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2697 on: May 09, 2015, 11:50:30 PM »

Tonight's the night, Vegas! We'll be hitting the stage at Rock in Rio USA at 11:10 PM Pacific Time. If you're not able to be at the gig, you can stream the show here: http://talli.ca/rock-in-rio-usa

Rock in Rio USA,

https://music.yahoo.com/video/rock-rio-rock-weekend-day-200000695.html  peace
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2698 on: May 10, 2015, 02:31:37 AM »

Yikes that's 1am here.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2699 on: February 03, 2016, 02:51:33 PM »

Metallica Streaming Pre-Super Bowl Concert
Band's headlining, sold-out "The Night Before" show in San Francisco will be available in free HD

"The Night Before" show will also feature openers Cage the Elephant, with Metallica set to perform at approximately 8:30 p.m. PT. The metal legends have history with the hometown venue, having taken part in "Metallica Night" events at AT&T Park in conjunction with San Francisco Giants games.

Meanwhile, the quartet continue to work on their as-yet-untitled 10th LP, a follow-up to 2008's Death Magnetic. In March 2014, the band debuted eight-minute epic "Lords of Summer" during their Metallica by Request tour; last November, they released an in-studio video that teased a few of James Hetfield's crushing in-progress riffs.

"It's heavy," guitarist Kirk Hammett told Ultimate Classic Rock in October. "We've got some heavy stuff going. It delivers on that front for sure. You know, I would say a lot of it is along the lines of Death Magnetic. A lot of it seems to be going along those lines. But you know, with social media now and everything else, I'm a little bit wary to comment too much on the album, because then people pick up on it. Then, people think that that?s the final definitive statement on what this album is, or how much of it is done, or what it sounds like or whatever ? and that's not really the case. It's not accurate. We're still working on it."

Whenever the album comes, fans will be aware in advance. "Right now, it's not like we're going to do one of those things where we'll just give it to iTunes on Thursday without telling anybody," drummer Lars Ulrich told Rolling Stone. "That's not in the cards."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/metallica-streaming-pre-super-bowl-concert-20160203#ixzz3z8Vorq7C
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: