Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:09:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Death (RIP Chuck 12/13/01)
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Death (RIP Chuck 12/13/01)  (Read 6776 times)
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 02:42:02 AM »

beer beer beer beer

METAL FOREVER

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 12:23:18 AM »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8915784124148938714&q=Death

Check out this video. I've never heard a Death bootleg from the early days with the high vocals until now.  Smiley It's interesting how Chuck gave up the deep vocals over time, but could always do the shrieks. Both styles are great, and it's had to really pick one as better.
Eliminator
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2006, 02:28:35 PM »

I've covered "the flesh and the power it holds" with a friend of mine for his school exam.....I think it's an amazing tune, especially the beginning. I'm not so much into death and black metal, but this is one of the few bands in the genre that I have respect for.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2006, 04:59:02 PM »

30 seconds to about a minute into the song is indeed an amazing intro.  Smiley
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 02:42:03 AM »

I've covered "the flesh and the power it holds" with a friend of mine for his school exam.....I think it's an amazing tune, especially the beginning.

Yep, and the rest of the album is nothing short of brilliant either. The Sound of Perseverance has been kicking my ass for a few months now, I haven't really got tired of it even after about a zillion listens. I've also checked out Symbolic and Individual Thought Patterns, but TSoP seems to be my favorite so far.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 09:59:09 PM »

Have you listened to Cynic, Atheist, Watchtower, and Coroner? Those are all great. Unfortunately, many post-Death bands just seem to rip off the sound, and the earlier bands juts have a few similarities, but they're still great.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006, 12:30:48 AM »

Nope, actually out of those, Cynic is the only band I've even heard of. Give me a recommended album and I might check them out?

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2006, 12:53:00 AM »

You must be kidding.  rofl

Unfortunately, Cynic only made one album, called Focus. It's probably the greatest one album wonder in metal history. I'm surprised you haven't heard it, since it's absolutely essential for prog/death fans. Some Cynic members made the band Portal with a self-titled demo tape, but it was mediocre. Fortunately, they later formed the band Gordian Knot, which is an excellent instrumental prog band.

Cynic was originally a technical thrash band, so their early demos might be interesting from a historical point of view, but they're not essential. For great technical thrash, Watchtower is what you need. They only released two albums: Energetic Disassembly and Control And Resistance. They're both excellent.

From Atheist, get Piece Of Time and Unquestionable Presence. If you love those, you might like Elements, but only their first two are really, really good.

Coroner is more technical thrash. Everything they did before the mediocre Grin album is excellent. Their work with unorthodox song structures is similar to later Death. It's too bad the vocals suck.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2006, 01:00:10 AM »

Fortunately, they later formed the band Gordian Knot, which is an excellent instrumental prog band.

Ah, that's probably the connection I know Cynic from - I love Gordian Knot, those guys are amazing. Guess I'll have to get Focus, then Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: