Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:25:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227825 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  You Can Argue. But Tool 10,000 Days Is The Album For GNR To Beat This Year.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: You Can Argue. But Tool 10,000 Days Is The Album For GNR To Beat This Year.  (Read 13093 times)
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« on: May 11, 2006, 04:27:21 PM »

I am talking purely musicianship here. Obviously GNR will blow the shit out of it in sales. This new Tool album though is easily the great rock album this year bar none. Musically it is vastly superior to anything else out there. The drums alone are jaw dropping. I dig the whole psychedellic feel and the music has textures and layers that are crafted beautifully.

Axl owns the singer of Tool, even though the vocals on the Tool album compliment the music perfectly. The album surprises me. Its kind of a journey and is the farthest thing from PC for a modern rock album I have heard in a good long while.

So purely musically. The musicianship of Chinese Democracy has major competition from 10,000 days. I infinitely prefer the leaks from GNR to Tool. GNR is more my cup of tea. But the musicianship on this Tool album is something else. Hmmm maybe I should correct myself. Bucketheads work is superior as well. Maybe I am just talking about the drums and the rythms. Yea...that is what is superior with the new Tool album. Have you heard it?

GNR and our boy Brain better bring it. Cause the shit on 10,000 days is better then what we have heard so far. You agree?

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 04:28:59 PM »

I haven't hear tool is since undertow, I didn't even know they were still around.. if you say so though..
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 04:30:46 PM »

for me, 10000 Days is the best album of this year, but it's different cathegory than GN'R, it's impossible to compare these two

Origen
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 04:31:26 PM »

So the point of this thread is to say GnR will beat Tool in sales?

It's pretty much certain they will, GnR are a well know name and the name (Guns N Roses) itself will help sales.

But I think some of you are expecting CD too revise Rock n Rock all something, well it isn't. The world is a hell of a different place compared to when GnR first hit. It is a boy band/ hip hop world now and if 50 cents new album came out the same day as CD, 50 cents would probably out sell it.
Steel_Angel
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 04:32:04 PM »

I'm not really a tool's fan, and like mikeg i too did not know they were still around . . ?Lips Sealed
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 04:32:19 PM »

I think Stadium Arcadium blows the Tool album away. ?Plus, the new Hank III album is very kick ass for a country album.
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 04:32:46 PM »

You agree?

Fuck no. At least, I don't agree with this,

Axl owns the singer of Tool...

Bollocks does he. MJK is the greatest vocalist alive today, bar none.

As for 10 000 Days being the album to beat, I couldn't say... I've been a bad fan(boy? maybe not...). I haven't even heard the new album yet.

Though, before having heard either album (pre-release/reviews), I would have invested much more confidence in the Tool boys. That said, it isn't beyond Axl to surpress anything that Tool can do.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
johnnythunders24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 04:35:36 PM »

10,000 Days Rocks ok
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 04:36:28 PM »

I'm not even really a Tool fan, but last Tuesday I picked up 10,000 Days on a whim. ?I have to aggree, this is one of the best albums I have heard in a really long time. ?It's amazing for somebody with such a short attention span (like me) to be completely mezmerized and not get bored by songs that are as long as almost 12 minutes.

So, I aggree...CD is going to have to be pretty damned impressive to be better then this.

Danny

Thousands of GNR fans have died waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released.

www.wonderfulworldofdanny.com
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 04:37:03 PM »

So the point of this thread is to say GnR will beat Tool in sales?

It's pretty much certain they will, GnR are a well know name and the name (Guns N Roses) itself will help sales.

But I think some of you are expecting CD too revise Rock n Rock all something, well it isn't. The world is a hell of a different place compared to when GnR first hit. It is a boy band/ hip hop world now and if 50 cents new album came out the same day as CD, 50 cents would probably out sell it.

No dude...this has nothing to do with sales. It has everything to do with musicianship.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 04:37:48 PM »

The Tool album sold ~564,000 copies in the 1st week. I doubt Chinese Democracy will hit that mark without a really strong single.

Maynard is a phenomenal singer, and lyricist. I don't think that he and Axl make a great comparison because Maynard is a chest singer and Axl uses head voice for all his high parts. They use very different techniques, but are both virtuosic when they're "on."

I don't think the styles of music compare well either. I'll be very surprised if the GNR record has any odd-time signatures on it, or an opportunity for the kind of drumming that would be comparable to Danny Carey's parts on the Tool album. Brain's work with Primus might be a better point of comparison for that kind of thing, but even then, he is a single bass drum guy, not a double pedal monster like Danny Carey.
KIKO2K6
Happy as a Pig in Shit
VIP

I am a ''ROCKER''

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 04:39:15 PM »

Stadium Arcadium is the best abum this year , ?great guittar job ?great solos . Grin

The New Interpretation of a Masterwerk!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/kikoalbuquerque/

Chinese Democracy Starts....sometime between now and November 25th !
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 04:39:20 PM »

And sadly, Axl is such a wack-job sometimes (don't get me wrong, I love the guy) that he could easily throw a hissy-fit and not release CD this year just because he doesn't want his album to loose rock album of the year honors in magazines to Tool.

Thousands of GNR fans have died waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released.

www.wonderfulworldofdanny.com
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 04:39:51 PM »

The Tool album sold ~564,000 copies in the 1st week.
?that's a great number,,, To think I didn't even know they were still around.. Shocked

I don't think it will be possible to compare any album to an axl rose one on this forum..
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 04:41:22 PM »

I dont think he is anywhere on Axl's level vocally, at least from the couple songs Kujo let me hear.

I agree though, They are vastly different musical styles, so I dont know if its a fair comparison or not.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 04:43:09 PM »

It's indeed a very good album. The opening song is absolutely amazing (the drums in the latter part of the song...woah, just unbelievable). That being said, I don't think you can compare both bands. Their goals, musically and artistically are very different. GN'R has this whole aura around the band. Tool has an aura too, but this is different, it's hard to explain.

Will it be hard to release a better album than Tool's latest? Probably. Can Axl and GN'R do it? Definitely.

loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 04:43:44 PM »

Both Tool and Guns N' Roses create music that's really exciting because of it's intensity, even if the intensity is a little different. ?I love the new Tool album, but there's not a single song on there that compares to a song like Better. ?I'll listen to 10,000 days, but there are appropriate times to listen. ?Better fits all times, I can always pop it in, and know it'll rock, and only take a few minutes to do so. ?ok

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
dman1991
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 04:47:07 PM »

I think Stadium Arcadium blows the Tool album away.  Plus, the new Hank III album is very kick ass for a country album.
wow, remind me never to read your posts again, country, ha.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 04:49:17 PM »

Bollocks does he. MJK is the greatest vocalist alive today, bar none.

I, for the life of me, cannot understand this sort of praise for Keenan.  I dig his vocals and A Perfect Circle and Tool are cool bands, but I dont hear what many others apparently do.

RichardNixon
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 04:58:07 PM »

I haven't been impressed by anything TOOL has ever released. Dull, repetitive, and boring. Don't understand the hype.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: