Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:02:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227825 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  You Can Argue. But Tool 10,000 Days Is The Album For GNR To Beat This Year.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You Can Argue. But Tool 10,000 Days Is The Album For GNR To Beat This Year.  (Read 13092 times)
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« on: May 11, 2006, 04:27:21 PM »

I am talking purely musicianship here. Obviously GNR will blow the shit out of it in sales. This new Tool album though is easily the great rock album this year bar none. Musically it is vastly superior to anything else out there. The drums alone are jaw dropping. I dig the whole psychedellic feel and the music has textures and layers that are crafted beautifully.

Axl owns the singer of Tool, even though the vocals on the Tool album compliment the music perfectly. The album surprises me. Its kind of a journey and is the farthest thing from PC for a modern rock album I have heard in a good long while.

So purely musically. The musicianship of Chinese Democracy has major competition from 10,000 days. I infinitely prefer the leaks from GNR to Tool. GNR is more my cup of tea. But the musicianship on this Tool album is something else. Hmmm maybe I should correct myself. Bucketheads work is superior as well. Maybe I am just talking about the drums and the rythms. Yea...that is what is superior with the new Tool album. Have you heard it?

GNR and our boy Brain better bring it. Cause the shit on 10,000 days is better then what we have heard so far. You agree?

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 04:28:59 PM »

I haven't hear tool is since undertow, I didn't even know they were still around.. if you say so though..
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 04:30:46 PM »

for me, 10000 Days is the best album of this year, but it's different cathegory than GN'R, it's impossible to compare these two

Origen
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 04:31:26 PM »

So the point of this thread is to say GnR will beat Tool in sales?

It's pretty much certain they will, GnR are a well know name and the name (Guns N Roses) itself will help sales.

But I think some of you are expecting CD too revise Rock n Rock all something, well it isn't. The world is a hell of a different place compared to when GnR first hit. It is a boy band/ hip hop world now and if 50 cents new album came out the same day as CD, 50 cents would probably out sell it.
Steel_Angel
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 04:32:04 PM »

I'm not really a tool's fan, and like mikeg i too did not know they were still around . . ?Lips Sealed
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 04:32:19 PM »

I think Stadium Arcadium blows the Tool album away. ?Plus, the new Hank III album is very kick ass for a country album.
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 04:32:46 PM »

You agree?

Fuck no. At least, I don't agree with this,

Axl owns the singer of Tool...

Bollocks does he. MJK is the greatest vocalist alive today, bar none.

As for 10 000 Days being the album to beat, I couldn't say... I've been a bad fan(boy? maybe not...). I haven't even heard the new album yet.

Though, before having heard either album (pre-release/reviews), I would have invested much more confidence in the Tool boys. That said, it isn't beyond Axl to surpress anything that Tool can do.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
johnnythunders24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 04:35:36 PM »

10,000 Days Rocks ok
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 04:36:28 PM »

I'm not even really a Tool fan, but last Tuesday I picked up 10,000 Days on a whim. ?I have to aggree, this is one of the best albums I have heard in a really long time. ?It's amazing for somebody with such a short attention span (like me) to be completely mezmerized and not get bored by songs that are as long as almost 12 minutes.

So, I aggree...CD is going to have to be pretty damned impressive to be better then this.

Danny

Thousands of GNR fans have died waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released.

www.wonderfulworldofdanny.com
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 04:37:03 PM »

So the point of this thread is to say GnR will beat Tool in sales?

It's pretty much certain they will, GnR are a well know name and the name (Guns N Roses) itself will help sales.

But I think some of you are expecting CD too revise Rock n Rock all something, well it isn't. The world is a hell of a different place compared to when GnR first hit. It is a boy band/ hip hop world now and if 50 cents new album came out the same day as CD, 50 cents would probably out sell it.

No dude...this has nothing to do with sales. It has everything to do with musicianship.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 04:37:48 PM »

The Tool album sold ~564,000 copies in the 1st week. I doubt Chinese Democracy will hit that mark without a really strong single.

Maynard is a phenomenal singer, and lyricist. I don't think that he and Axl make a great comparison because Maynard is a chest singer and Axl uses head voice for all his high parts. They use very different techniques, but are both virtuosic when they're "on."

I don't think the styles of music compare well either. I'll be very surprised if the GNR record has any odd-time signatures on it, or an opportunity for the kind of drumming that would be comparable to Danny Carey's parts on the Tool album. Brain's work with Primus might be a better point of comparison for that kind of thing, but even then, he is a single bass drum guy, not a double pedal monster like Danny Carey.
KIKO2K6
Happy as a Pig in Shit
VIP

I am a ''ROCKER''

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 04:39:15 PM »

Stadium Arcadium is the best abum this year , ?great guittar job ?great solos . Grin

The New Interpretation of a Masterwerk!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/kikoalbuquerque/

Chinese Democracy Starts....sometime between now and November 25th !
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 04:39:20 PM »

And sadly, Axl is such a wack-job sometimes (don't get me wrong, I love the guy) that he could easily throw a hissy-fit and not release CD this year just because he doesn't want his album to loose rock album of the year honors in magazines to Tool.

Thousands of GNR fans have died waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released.

www.wonderfulworldofdanny.com
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 04:39:51 PM »

The Tool album sold ~564,000 copies in the 1st week.
?that's a great number,,, To think I didn't even know they were still around.. Shocked

I don't think it will be possible to compare any album to an axl rose one on this forum..
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 04:41:22 PM »

I dont think he is anywhere on Axl's level vocally, at least from the couple songs Kujo let me hear.

I agree though, They are vastly different musical styles, so I dont know if its a fair comparison or not.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 04:43:09 PM »

It's indeed a very good album. The opening song is absolutely amazing (the drums in the latter part of the song...woah, just unbelievable). That being said, I don't think you can compare both bands. Their goals, musically and artistically are very different. GN'R has this whole aura around the band. Tool has an aura too, but this is different, it's hard to explain.

Will it be hard to release a better album than Tool's latest? Probably. Can Axl and GN'R do it? Definitely.

loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 04:43:44 PM »

Both Tool and Guns N' Roses create music that's really exciting because of it's intensity, even if the intensity is a little different. ?I love the new Tool album, but there's not a single song on there that compares to a song like Better. ?I'll listen to 10,000 days, but there are appropriate times to listen. ?Better fits all times, I can always pop it in, and know it'll rock, and only take a few minutes to do so. ?ok

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
dman1991
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 04:47:07 PM »

I think Stadium Arcadium blows the Tool album away.  Plus, the new Hank III album is very kick ass for a country album.
wow, remind me never to read your posts again, country, ha.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 04:49:17 PM »

Bollocks does he. MJK is the greatest vocalist alive today, bar none.

I, for the life of me, cannot understand this sort of praise for Keenan.  I dig his vocals and A Perfect Circle and Tool are cool bands, but I dont hear what many others apparently do.

RichardNixon
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 04:58:07 PM »

I haven't been impressed by anything TOOL has ever released. Dull, repetitive, and boring. Don't understand the hype.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 05:04:11 PM »

Greatest vocalist? He lacks the range of metal singers and the emotion of classic rock/blues singers. He is absolutely mediocre, just like the band. GnR, even in its current form, slays Tool.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 05:16:46 PM »

I haven't been impressed by anything TOOL has ever released. Dull, repetitive, and boring. Don't understand the hype.

Well, there's probably a lot of people that don't understand why me & you like G'NR so much.

Doesn't make either of the bands good or bad, it's just different perspectives.

Now, from your post, I could easily say that you've never listened to a tool album all the way through and etc...

But, your perspective is most likely different than mine.
TOPGUNner
Rocker

Gonna call the president...

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2006, 05:28:33 PM »

I was just having this discussion at work with some fellow employees who love tool, and i'm the only one there who said exactly what you said. They think everything Tool does is genius, and I think it's crap. 50 years from now, no one is going to give a shit about "learn to swim" but everyone will remember "Welcome to the Jungle"

Got a one way ticket on your last chance ride
Got a one way ticket to your suicide
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006, 05:32:54 PM »

The new Tool Cd is FANTASTIC!
This will be the best release in 2006, if not CD will be released. CD will be the only album who MAYBE can battle with Tool`s 10 000 Days
The two best vocals in the world! I dont know if anyone can beat Maynard James Keenan`s vocals LIVE.... its only up to Axl, to do that!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2006, 05:36:48 PM »

I was just having this discussion at work with some fellow employees who love tool, and i'm the only one there who said exactly what you said. They think everything Tool does is genius, and I think it's crap. 50 years from now, no one is going to give a shit about "learn to swim" but everyone will remember "Welcome to the Jungle"

Now this is bullshit!!
What the fuck do u know about what people will remember in 50 years?
When Led Zeppelin was doing theyr thing back in the 70`s, there was few who thougt people would remember theyr music also..
Tool is growing, GNR is already a legend.. You cant put them up against eachother.. yet..!
Im pretty sure Tool is the best selling band in the world, when u think about how little money they have used on promotion

Nytunz.blogspot.com

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2006, 05:37:30 PM »

Hey guess what, buddy? It's not called "Learn to swim" which shows how much you've actually listened to it.

It's called Anima. It's the title track.
TOPGUNner
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2006, 05:49:43 PM »

Now this is bullshit!!
When Led Zeppelin was doing theyr thing back in the 70`s, there was few who thougt people would remember theyr music also..
Tool is growing, GNR is already a legend.. You cant put them up against eachother.. yet..!
Im pretty sure Tool is the best selling band in the world, when u think about how little money they have used on promotion

What the fuck do I know? I know what music I like, and I don't like Tool. And just because a band is growing, doesn't mean you can't predict what will happen to them in the future. Ashlee Simpson is growing, but I don't think in 50 years people will listen to her. I could care less if Tool sells millions of CD's, because I don't like them. You do. Fine. But keep your shit attitude to yourself and learn that other people have opinions too.

TOPGUNner
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2006, 05:50:16 PM »

Hey guess what, buddy? It's not called "Learn to swim" which shows how much you've actually listened to it.

Again, I could care less what the song is called because i don't like it. deal

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2006, 05:50:59 PM »

Actually, it's called Aenima. Buddy. Great track. Also, I think that he meant it in the way that everybody remembers Axl's " dun dun dun dun, dun dun dun "In the Jungle! Welcome to the Jungle!!!...", but nobody is going to remember MJK's "Learn to swim... Learn to swim." Probably not, but give him the benefit of the doubt... Either way, he's wrong anyway. Aenima is a better song than Jungle.

Edit to say... All right, so maybe that wasn't what he meant. Still. At least I gave the benefit..........

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2006, 06:22:36 PM »

Now this is bullshit!!

What the fuck do I know? I know what music I like, and I don't like Tool. And just because a band is growing, doesn't mean you can't predict what will happen to them in the future. Ashlee Simpson is growing, but I don't think in 50 years people will listen to her. I could care less if Tool sells millions of CD's, because I don't like them. You do. Fine. But keep your shit attitude to yourself and learn that other people have opinions too.

Well. i can give my shitty attitude to whom i want, but that was not my attention, sorry if i hurt your feelings...
Im gonna bet my bed on, that alot of people will listen to Tool in 50 years... And you, not even a Tool fan, remembers Learn to swim! ha! i think its great atleast u
remember that quote...  rofl

Nytunz.blogspot.com

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
TOPGUNner
Rocker

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2006, 06:30:26 PM »

Of course I remember learn to swim! It's only repeating 8,000 fucking times in that song. Am I supposed to think that if it's repeated over and over and over  drool that it's genius? I think not

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2006, 09:53:45 PM »

Welcome to the Jungle will definitely be remembered. GnR are pop culture, and Tool are "alternative culture", which has been declining. GnR defined an era of popular music, while Tool was just another prog/grunge band that made it big. There are plenty of underground bands like Tool, but GnR are incredibly original.

Ultimately, why should it matter if they're remembered or not? No one remembers a lot of 80's metal, or perhaps it was never even discovered, but it's still really good. GnR is both good and popular.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2006, 10:01:32 PM »

TooL is amazing....GnR was amazing...they may be again we'll see. Each album TooL puts out surpasses the last, Maynard is an amazing vocalist, Adam Jones is a fantastic guitarist....you should really sit yourself in a dark room and listen to a few  tool albums....trust me you'll be doing yourself a favor.

Also TooL and GnR are on totally different wavelengths, but to make a long story short.

I aggree with Buddha Master, IMO so far 10,000 Days has set the benchmark for albums of 2006 beer drool

Super-Ecwfan1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2006, 11:14:56 PM »

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? I give Tool tons of props for what they do. Thier albums always seem to top each other and gain more and more fans. The world is changing back guys. Pearl Jam just cracked 300,000 sales for a 1st week sales wise for the 1st time in years. The world has started to turn towards what Axl and company are doing.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Look at Tool's , Godsmack's , and Pearl Jam's sales thier 1st weeks. Its well over 1 million and shows that the music world maybe winding itself off the teeny bopper/boy band craze it was once on.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2006, 03:58:38 AM »

when i'll have cd in my hands i'll compare the two. yes
but till then the tour did not even start and we still don't know if we'll get cd this year ok
we've had a tour in the past with no album so there is nothing new there.
let's just wait till we hear cd and then start comparing

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2006, 09:09:08 AM »

when i'll have cd in my hands i'll compare the two. yes
but till then the tour did not even start and we still don't know if we'll get cd this year ok
we've had a tour in the past with no album so there is nothing new there.
let's just wait till we hear cd and then start comparing

I don't think the idea was to compare....just that TooL is the top album right now Buddha_Master's opinion. and that is the level that GnR needs to strive for ok

requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2006, 10:23:23 AM »

You know, I love Axl Rose more than most people, but from a musician's perspective he really hasn't earned the praise that some of you give him. Don't misunderstand me - I have been obsessed with the guy since 1987, and I think his energy and creativity are amazing. GNR is hands down my favorite band ever. That said, he isn't the vocalist that some apparently think he is, or at the very least, he hasn't proven it yet - he's in my top 10, but probably not my top 3 as a singer(front man, yes). Yes, the vocals on Appetite and Lies were great. However, for those that said the only person who could top Maynard is Axl, well, you must not get out much. There are many great singers in the world.

For the person who doesn't think that Maynard's vocals are that impressive, I have to wonder if you've listened to some of the songs that I have heard. That shit is hard to do - it's actual correct singing that doesn't destroy your voice, unlike most rock singer's technique. I would put maynard on the short list of exceptional rock tenors - somewhere around Mike Patton. Plus, Maynard can reproduce everything from the cd flawlessly live.

To get back on topic for a second, I would like to think that Axl has a better album than 10,000 Days in him. I'll certainly buy it, but I think that expectations like that would be setting him up for failure. I want the album to be great, and I can't wait to hear it.

Flame away.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2006, 10:27:53 AM »

That was a great fucking post requiem156 ok

But I'd say Axl is definately in my top 5 favorite singers for vocal talent peace
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 10:31:45 AM by Neemo » Logged

requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2006, 11:40:36 AM »

That was a great fucking post requiem156 ok

But I'd say Axl is definately in my top 5 favorite singers for vocal talent peace

Hey thanks man.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2006, 11:54:18 AM »

Then, don't sit here and criticize it if you don't care about it.
TOPGUNner
Rocker

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2006, 11:57:57 AM »

Then, don't sit here and criticize it if you don't care about it.

Good idea I won't sit here...it's May 12th, let me get on a train, go to Mustang Harry's and then to a GUNS AND ROSES show. Enjoy your Tool CD

DMJ
Headliner

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2006, 01:45:44 PM »

since when is Tool a big band? they bring like 500 people their shows.

Baron of the bench the panhandlin' master
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2006, 01:54:25 PM »

they sold out a 5000 seat venue in toronto, canada in 8 seconds Kiss

and they sell out arena shows all the time ok

requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2006, 02:10:59 PM »

Tool headlined the Coachella festival - I might be mistaken but I think significantly more than 500 people usually make it to that event. For further info on the subject, go to the Billboard site. They sold 564,000 copies in one week, making 10,000 Days gold in that space of time. The album is at #1 on the chart, and has sold more than twice as much as Pearl Jam's self-titled, which opened at #2 and has sold 279,000 copies. Their last album, Lateralus, opened with 550,000 copies sold in the 1st week. If that isn't a big band, then I'm not sure what your definition "big" is.

I'm calling them big and you misinformed. 

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2006, 03:50:17 PM »

I havent heard this album so I cant comment

but I cant see how it could be greater than Stadium Arcadium.

check out

Dani california
Snow
Stadium Arcadium
Slow Cheetah
Hump De Bump
SHe's only 18
Tell Me Baby
Hard to Concentrate
Wet Sand

Those alone are some of the greatest songs I have heard in I dont know how many years

So to beat this album would be tough for anyone.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2006, 03:53:43 PM »

check out

Dani california
Snow
Stadium Arcadium
Slow Cheetah
Hump De Bump
SHe's only 18
Tell Me Baby
Hard to Concentrate
Wet Sand

Those alone are some of the greatest songs I have heard in I dont know how many years

So to beat this album would be tough for anyone.

I'm so sick of your upbeat posts hihi

Damnit - complain about something!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2006, 04:35:51 AM »

check out

Dani california

I've only heard Dani California so far, but if the rest of the album is more of the same, I don't think you can really compare those two. Tool is something original, intelligent and unique, whereas the RHCP of today is just mediocre rock music (in my opinion). Definitely not saying they're shit, but in my book the band just stopped making memorable music after One Hot Minute...

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2006, 07:02:11 PM »

Shouldn't be too difficult!  ok

That's a hatrick for Doull
minotaur
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2006, 04:55:06 AM »

Sorry all ... but I think that any albums or live shows by Tool will very easily outperform GNR in every way.? Tool are operating on another level entirely, it's that simple.? I don't know where some people from this board have been for the last ten years, but Tool is hands down one of the biggest rock bands in existence today - see Tool's 1996 release "Aenima," which is arguably the best rock/metal album of the 1990s.? Regrettably (and I'm sorry to say this) GNR are kinda the laughing stock of serious music fans and critics alike right now (as evidenced by the negative press comments of late).?

To most people, Axl and his band are going to have to come out and prove that they have something relevant to offer to the 21st century musical landscape.? Meanwhile, bands like Tool and RHCP have been doing just this all along and are interestingly enough, around the same age as Axl, who has a lot of catching up to do.? It pains me to say that from the sounds of some of the posts here, it seems as if many people are very out of touch with (good) music today.? Sure, "Appetite..." and the "Use Your Illusion's" are classic albums, but you're going to get a very different look from people if you're driving down any major street in a big city blaring one of those albums as opposed to others from roughly the same period - say RHCP's "Blood Sugar Sex Magik," or Tool's "Undertow."? These are just the facts.? I'm not trying to sound elitist, but the latter two albums are still very "in," while the GNR discs are kinda "been there, done that" and "remember hair metal and Axl Rose?!?!" for most music listeners.? ?

Everyone does realize that there is a very real possibility that "Chinese Democracy" will completely flop in North America when it is released ...? right?? A comeback like this is a huge risk that has already been met with much skepticism from the industry and fans.? Don't get me wrong, I'm rootin' for Axl and all, but it is more likely that we're going to see GNR opening for the major rock superstars/headlining bands of today, such as Tool and RHCP.? This may not be true of other countries, but it certainly will be for the USA and Canada - which I think has a slightly more apprehensive view of the new GNR than other regions of the world.?

Here's to hopin' that Axl comes out and proves all of this wrong, but I don't want anyone here to get their hopes up that he will somehow become the biggest rock star with the biggest band in the world again.? I think everyone knows those days are long over and what would be best right now, is for GNR to find their proper place within the 21st century rock world without compromising their past standards of quality and integrity.
smooth
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2006, 06:04:54 AM »

RHCP and Tool have been making and SELLING music for the past 10-15 years. So until the CD hits the store's this is a mute point.
minotaur
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2006, 06:15:58 AM »

RHCP and Tool have been making and SELLING music for the past 10-15 years. So until the CD hits the store's this is a mute (sic) point.

Exactly.? That was my point: to people that are bashing the above mentioned bands, who have been creating music (which is in some instances, fairly incredible) over the past decade vs. Axl, who has unfortunately become a bit of a joke to many.? I think that this article basically sums up what I was trying to communicate in terms of widespread public and industry reaction to the new GNR at the moment:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060512.wgnr0512/BNStory/Entertainment/home
gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2006, 01:06:01 PM »

C'mon people get out of the 80s!  Tool has been kicking ass for years now and selling major amounts of tickets.  Meanwhile Axl er Asshole has had his thumbs up his ass for 15 years watching the world go by. 
minotaur
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2006, 07:34:40 PM »

C'mon people get out of the 80s!? Tool has been kicking ass for years now and selling major amounts of tickets.? Meanwhile Axl er Asshole has had his thumbs up his ass for 15 years watching the world go by.?

Amen!
Chief
Legend

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »

I agree here.. tool is freakin HUGE!!!!!!! their last album sold almost 2.5 million copies and there aren't even any "real" singles, no catchy songs and they sell out shows all the time.

However i do still believe that Chinese Democracy will be a really great and amazing album and should do pretty well, even if it doesn't do as well as their older discs.

Sorry all ... but I think that any albums or live shows by Tool will very easily outperform GNR in every way.  Tool are operating on another level entirely, it's that simple.  I don't know where some people from this board have been for the last ten years, but Tool is hands down one of the biggest rock bands in existence today - see Tool's 1996 release "Aenima," which is arguably the best rock/metal album of the 1990s.  Regrettably (and I'm sorry to say this) GNR are kinda the laughing stock of serious music fans and critics alike right now (as evidenced by the negative press comments of late). 

To most people, Axl and his band are going to have to come out and prove that they have something relevant to offer to the 21st century musical landscape.  Meanwhile, bands like Tool and RHCP have been doing just this all along and are interestingly enough, around the same age as Axl, who has a lot of catching up to do.  It pains me to say that from the sounds of some of the posts here, it seems as if many people are very out of touch with (good) music today.  Sure, "Appetite..." and the "Use Your Illusion's" are classic albums, but you're going to get a very different look from people if you're driving down any major street in a big city blaring one of those albums as opposed to others from roughly the same period - say RHCP's "Blood Sugar Sex Magik," or Tool's "Undertow."  These are just the facts.  I'm not trying to sound elitist, but the latter two albums are still very "in," while the GNR discs are kinda "been there, done that" and "remember hair metal and Axl Rose?!?!" for most music listeners.   

Everyone does realize that there is a very real possibility that "Chinese Democracy" will completely flop in North America when it is released ...  right?  A comeback like this is a huge risk that has already been met with much skepticism from the industry and fans.  Don't get me wrong, I'm rootin' for Axl and all, but it is more likely that we're going to see GNR opening for the major rock superstars/headlining bands of today, such as Tool and RHCP.  This may not be true of other countries, but it certainly will be for the USA and Canada - which I think has a slightly more apprehensive view of the new GNR than other regions of the world. 

Here's to hopin' that Axl comes out and proves all of this wrong, but I don't want anyone here to get their hopes up that he will somehow become the biggest rock star with the biggest band in the world again.  I think everyone knows those days are long over and what would be best right now, is for GNR to find their proper place within the 21st century rock world without compromising their past standards of quality and integrity.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
da_pope
Banned
VIP

Your Daddy Works In Porno...

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2006, 01:08:39 AM »

It's basically, Stadium Arcadium, 10,000 Days and Fifteen... Those are the best albums by far this year.

Funny how there's more GN'R in Velvet Revolver then there is in Guns N' Roses.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2006, 11:59:04 AM »

It's basically, Stadium Arcadium, 10,000 Days and Fifteen... Those are the best albums by far this year.

are seriously comparing Buckcherry to Tool and RHCP? Roll Eyes my god, you have a problem son....better work on that Shocked  hihi

Seriously though i can't believe you put TooL and Buckcherry in the same sentence as far as musical talent Undecided

da_pope
Banned
VIP

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2006, 01:02:47 AM »

are seriously comparing Buckcherry to Tool and RHCP? Roll Eyes my god, you have a problem son....better work on that Shocked? hihi

Seriously though i can't believe you put TooL and Buckcherry in the same sentence as far as musical talent Undecided

da_pope
Banned
VIP

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2006, 01:04:24 AM »

are seriously comparing Buckcherry to Tool and RHCP? Roll Eyes my god, you have a problem son....better work on that Shocked? hihi

I'd put Buckcherry ahead of Tool.
I can't stand Tool. And I own Stadium Arcadium and truely think that Fifteen is the better album.

When a band can go Gold on an indie label, I think thats pretty impressive.
Now that they have Atlantic pushing them... There gonna be huge!

gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2006, 10:37:34 AM »

I bet you were saying the same thing years ago when All lit up came out and it didn't happen.  Just as it they won't blow now.  They'll just blow.
da_pope
Banned
VIP

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2006, 06:32:02 PM »

I bet you were saying the same thing years ago when All lit up came out and it didn't happen.? Just as it they won't blow now.? They'll just blow.

Actually... I wasn't old enough to really into music back in the 1999.
10 year olds aren't exactly music enthusiasts.

The diffrence between then and now is that Lit Up went huge while Buckcherry was on an Indie label. Now there on a major label.

gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2006, 10:55:11 AM »

Ahhh....you're only 17 that explains everything.
da_pope
Banned
VIP

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2006, 04:06:39 PM »

What does age have to do with any of this.
I don't like Tool and probably never will. That doesn't change because I'm 17.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2006, 04:08:08 PM »

haha cuz those that witnessed Buckcherry in their "heyday" already saw them fall flat on their face...no reason to think differently this time around Kiss

gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2006, 04:21:32 PM »

Thanks for backing me up Neemo. 

You are only 17 and I remember when I was that age how ignorant of great music I was, the same for you.  Trust me, one day you'll laugh that you thought Buck ferry was so good.
TOPGUNner
Rocker

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2006, 04:22:17 PM »

Why try and debate it any further...look on the other pages...see my posts? I don't like Tool either but arguing with a Tool fan is like talking to a wall...they like Tool, and there's nothing you can say to change their mind. They just don't wanna hear it.

Ignore those who don't want to listen to your opinion, and crank up the music YOU like. ?peace

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2006, 04:24:06 PM »

Why try and debate it any further...look on the other pages...see my posts? I don't like Tool either but arguing with a Tool fan is like talking to a wall...they like Tool, and there's nothing you can say to change their mind. They just don't wanna hear it.

Ignore those who don't want to listen to your opinion, and crank up the music YOU like. ?peace

yeah but beware that it's crap hihi j/k peace to each their own? ok

but IMO if GnR can't top Buckcherry then they have alot of contemplating to do on their choice of carreer? nervous

Thanks for backing me up Neemo.

You are only 17 and I remember when I was that age how ignorant of great music I was, the same for you. Trust me, one day you'll laugh that you thought Buck ferry was so good.

No prob Gilld1 ....buckferry  hahaha rofl

GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2006, 03:17:44 PM »

Different styles of music, extremely different (as far as we know!?!).  I think Tool are more deliberately 'musical' and 'artistic' but GN'R are more about ol' fashioned songs structures and rocking out.

Am listening to 10,000 Days as I type.  It's a fucking great album.  Looking forward to hearing it at Download, fuck that festival's gonna rule  beer   drool

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: