Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:23:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227804 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Advice on an amp please..
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice on an amp please..  (Read 9185 times)
bombingrun
Opening Act

The Story Will Unfold

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 01:58:22 PM »

If your spending that sort of money you should have no probs getting a nice amp, you just need to make sure you get the right nice amp!

What are you going to use the amp for??  Small gigs? Bedroom practise? Both?

yeah Marshall make some lovely amps but there are other companies that will deliver cool rock sounds too.  Maybe think about a Cornford Hurrcine  drool or an Orange amp they are both lovely. 

Also consider the type of venues you're playing - there's no point running a 100w stack and a 4x12 cab with the volume set at 2 becuase the sound tech told you to turn it down to reduce spill.  Maybe consider going for a 30w combo with 2x12 or 2x10 running at 3/4 volume, that way you can mike up if you need more vol and still get a better tone from pushing the valves and the speakers.  You can even get 50w combos like the custom shop Hiwatt Studio/Stage that are switchable to 20w which is handy for band pratises and smaller gigs.

Get what you need, if you need an amp for at home get a small practise amp (Minimat is lush or a Laney L15 might do the job) or if your gigging get a proper gigging amp.  Don't use your giging amp for practising at home, it may cost you a fortune getting it revalved all the time.

At the end of the day, you need to try as many as possible with your own pedals and guitar - you'll know the right one as soon as you play it.   Smiley
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 02:00:21 PM »

He's just looking for a bedroom amp.

bombingrun
Opening Act

The Story Will Unfold

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 02:42:46 PM »

2000euro is a hell of a lot for a bedroom amp!!  Shocked
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 02:54:22 PM »

how could i forget! The jubilee's are AMAZING!. it is slash's amp and sounds so good. Anytime i hear it im attracted to it. I was wathcing the video for Dani california-RHCP and during the solo i was like "i like this guys tone" guess what amp head he was using? yup a Jubilee. Same thing happened with a black crowes video (even though they suck)

go for it!

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 05:13:43 PM »

Thanks for all the replys so far people! Lots to ponder! Yeah its defo a bedroom amp im looking for. I have a Marshall mg 30dfx at the moment which I dont like, so I really wanna get something nice. Smiley

So have many of you guys had any experience playing the jubilee?? And wheres the best place to find them on the net? I'm looking for a combo.

If your spending that sort of money you should have no probs getting a nice amp, you just need to make sure you get the right nice amp!

What are you going to use the amp for?? Small gigs? Bedroom practise? Both?

yeah Marshall make some lovely amps but there are other companies that will deliver cool rock sounds too. Maybe think about a Cornford Hurrcine drool or an Orange amp they are both lovely.

Also consider the type of venues you're playing - there's no point running a 100w stack and a 4x12 cab with the volume set at 2 becuase the sound tech told you to turn it down to reduce spill. Maybe consider going for a 30w combo with 2x12 or 2x10 running at 3/4 volume, that way you can mike up if you need more vol and still get a better tone from pushing the valves and the speakers. You can even get 50w combos like the custom shop Hiwatt Studio/Stage that are switchable to 20w which is handy for band pratises and smaller gigs.

Get what you need, if you need an amp for at home get a small practise amp (Minimat is lush or a Laney L15 might do the job) or if your gigging get a proper gigging amp. Don't use your giging amp for practising at home, it may cost you a fortune getting it revalved all the time.

At the end of the day, you need to try as many as possible with your own pedals and guitar - you'll know the right one as soon as you play it. Smiley

some good advice there!

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich"
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 03:23:15 PM »

Thanks for all the replys so far people! Lots to ponder! Yeah its defo a bedroom amp im looking for. I have a Marshall mg 30dfx at the moment which I dont like, so I really wanna get something nice. Smiley

So have many of you guys had any experience playing the jubilee?? And wheres the best place to find them on the net? I'm looking for a combo.

yeah Marshall make some lovely amps but there are other companies that will deliver cool rock sounds too. Maybe think about a Cornford Hurrcine drool or an Orange amp they are both lovely.

Also consider the type of venues you're playing - there's no point running a 100w stack and a 4x12 cab with the volume set at 2 becuase the sound tech told you to turn it down to reduce spill. Maybe consider going for a 30w combo with 2x12 or 2x10 running at 3/4 volume, that way you can mike up if you need more vol and still get a better tone from pushing the valves and the speakers. You can even get 50w combos like the custom shop Hiwatt Studio/Stage that are switchable to 20w which is handy for band pratises and smaller gigs.

Get what you need, if you need an amp for at home get a small practise amp (Minimat is lush or a Laney L15 might do the job) or if your gigging get a proper gigging amp. Don't use your giging amp for practising at home, it may cost you a fortune getting it revalved all the time.

At the end of the day, you need to try as many as possible with your own pedals and guitar - you'll know the right one as soon as you play it. Smiley

some good advice there!

the man with the most jubilee experience is Slash, and he used them exculsively post AFD and before VR. Ebay is your pretty much only way to get them. Search either Jubilee or Slash under musical instruments.

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 03:41:34 PM »

some good advice there!

the man with the most jubilee experience is Slash, and he used them exculsively post AFD and before VR. Ebay is your pretty much only way to get them. Search either Jubilee or Slash under musical instruments.

Thanks man, i'll check em out

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich"
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2006, 06:22:27 PM »

get a Line 6 2x12 Flextone III

u have tons of options, and if u just want a Slash setting, its already programmed in!!!
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2006, 03:30:23 PM »

get a Line 6 2x12 Flextone III

u have tons of options, and if u just want a Slash setting, its already programmed in!!!

yeah but theres no substitute for tubes

AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2006, 03:49:34 PM »

heres what i could find. You might have to "settle" for a stack. in my opinion greatest amp ever made (besides slash's mysterious rental amp). but i am doehard slash fan.

Full Stack: http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-Jubilee-25-50-Silver-Aniversary-Full-Stack_W0QQitemZ7416188145QQcategoryZ38075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1x12 combo: http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-Jubilee-2554-50-watt-1x12-combo-tube-amp_W0QQitemZ7413902195QQcategoryZ38075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats about it. keep your eyes peeled

Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2006, 06:50:59 PM »

heres what i could find. You might have to "settle" for a stack. in my opinion greatest amp ever made (besides slash's mysterious rental amp). but i am doehard slash fan.

Full Stack: http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-Jubilee-25-50-Silver-Aniversary-Full-Stack_W0QQitemZ7416188145QQcategoryZ38075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1x12 combo: http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-Jubilee-2554-50-watt-1x12-combo-tube-amp_W0QQitemZ7413902195QQcategoryZ38075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats about it. keep your eyes peeled

Holy shit man! I can only imagine what my folks would think if I brought that full stack into the house!

AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2006, 04:53:06 PM »

well if i were spending that much of THEIR money they would make me live in the damn thing!
you could always sell one of the cabs and get some money back and have a half stack

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: