Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:06:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  GN'R On Tour!
| | |-+  North America 2006
| | | |-+  New York City, USA Hammerstein Ballroom - May 15, 2006
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New York City, USA Hammerstein Ballroom - May 15, 2006  (Read 96351 times)
sweatybronson
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2006, 03:39:01 AM »

Whoa.? First GNR show ever.? I had a ticket in 2002, but they cancelled.? Use Your Illusion 2 was the first CD I've ever owned, back when I was 11.? Been waiting for CD since I thought it was going to be named '2000 intentions.'? First time posting on heretodaygonetohell since the board was in a different format way way way back in the day.?

My ears are still ringing.?

In my opinion, the show was freakin' awesome.? One of the best I've ever been to.? Axl and pals had a ton of energy... he did seem to be kind of losing his voice a little over halfway through the set...but it only really seemed to be affecting him while he talked, and for a little bit during the beginning of Madagascar.? The man still has it.? There were a lot of times, especially during the beginning of the show, when I was trying to study what the other band members were doing, but I couldn't focus on them for very long.? You just can't take your eyes off the Rose-man.? Fuckin' rock legend.?

The highlight-highlight of the night, for me, was probably 'November Rain,' even though there were a few slightly hiccupy transitions.? If I remember correctly, every guitarist had a solo during it, and every one of 'em blew it out of the park...? Bumblefoot especially, during this song, came out of the woodwork.? I had hardly noticed him before.? I've also spent the past few days in NY with an ex-girlfriend, so a lot of the lyrics hit especially close to home and I sorta re-heard them in a way I hadn't.? Nothing lasts forever, even GNR concerts, sadly... But pretty much everything about the show was spot-on and rock-on.? The closer of Paradise City was, as expected, splendiferous, but, unfortunately, I had to focus on the crowd instead of the band for a little while to keep myself and some surrounding people from getting knocked over by drunken ruffians.? But that stuff never really got out of hand...

'low-lights' were probably a few of the solo solo guitar solos...good times to rest a little bit and build up some energy (for the audience And Axl), but I was never overly impressed.? Some were better than others.? I don't really remember much about them.? I couldn't put my finger on a lot of what they were playing...it seemed like they were familiar songs played slightly off-rhythm.? Almost heard a 'yellow leadbetter' in there.? Dizzy's piano solo was pretty...was that 'Maybe I'm Amazed?' or was it a Beatles-Beatles song?? Anyways, I digress...I also didn't cotton as much to I.R.S.? I don't know, it just seemed a bit forced...maybe it's because it's my least-listened to new song, (I've yet to really take to it) but I would've much rather heard TWAT.?

The audience was pretty good, though I'd expected there to be a bit more energy.? There were a few times when dumb little mosh-pits opened up circles to my left and right (To be honest, I've always thought moshing was silly and unnecessary...I'm all about jumping and up down and headbanging and snake-dancing and having fun...which I did.? All night long.? My calves are about to fall off), but other than that, the crowd was pretty gentile.? A lot of hands-in-the-air, a pretty good deal of crowd-surfing (you go Robin...though it kinda looked like the people were a bit unprepared to catch him...) but not as much jumping up and down rockin' as I would've thought...Not as much as a Weezer concert I went to in London, or a Strokes show in Denver CO.? Those shows were cheaper, though...maybe more youngster blokes.? That being said...

what I assumed to be the Here-today-gone-to-hell contingency (one of y'all had that 'you're crazy, gimme some twat, heretodaygonetohell' sign) was doin' it right...a lot of energy while waiting in the line (I walked past at one point...none of you knew I read this board, and you probably didn't even think I was going to the show.? I'm dressed like a damn preppie right now.? Clean-shaven face, short preppy hair, slacks, frikkin' nice-ish sweater, pretty-boy-jaw-line... You were screaming 'guns and roses rules, etc....'? I high-fived a couple of you and yelled 'rock and fuckin' roll'...? It was magical)? and during the show, and it all seemed to be really positive.?

Sorry I can't provide too many specifics about each song, or the order, yada yada.? The whole thing was just incredible, energy-filled, joygasmic.? But basic summary is that I came in feeling pretty tired, and, once the lights went down and I felt the surreality of my first-favorite band blistering into 'WTTJ,' I couldn't stop dancin' or jumpin' for almost 2 and a half hours, and it was fuckin' exhilarating .? I'm glad I don't have a job to wake up to tomorrow.? I can't hear very well, except the ringing, and my voice is shot from all the singin' and screamin' (I don't know how Axl does it...)I kinda wish I had tickets for the 17th...hrmmm...maybe I'll change some plans.?

peace, and apologies for the overly-long parantheticals, but I'm sure you all can deal -? ?

sweaty

p.s. - Axl quotes that I can remember (they're not perfect transcriptions) -
After the song when Robin jumped into the crowd, Axl said he'd gone over to ask him if he was okay, 'and Robin said 'This is what I live for.'?

Axl did mention that he had heard from Izzy, and that Izzy had wished him good luck with the show, and that 'New York's where it's always been about, hasn't it..'? Or something along those lines.? He said a few times that 'New York has always been good to us.'

When introducing Baz, he stuttered a bit while saying 'short notice,' and proceeded to mock himself, saying 'shnort sotice, nort shortice, etc.etc.' for a little while.?

At some point he said something, jokingly apparently, about how he had low self-esteem and felt insecure.?

He repeatedly said 'you guys are the motherfucking die-hards who buy tickets in the first three minutes' or something along those lines.?

He did cough out a 'bullshit' or two during 'Patience...'? Apparently he's not quite the romantic he used to be:-)? Must be a bit weird to disagree with your own song after a while.? I forget exactly which lines he said it after...

Axl told some little story...can't remember it exactly...and at the end of it he said 'That's the kind of shit that happens when you're a band.? And it's taken us eight years to be a band, but here we are.'

*things I forgot*:
Axl mentioned that he'd talked to Lars, Lars from Metallica, I assume.  I remember reading that Lars said he really liked Madagascar when he heard it at the VMAs...after Axl mentioned talking to Lars, the band busted into Maddy.  Maybe that's what they talked about. 

Also, Axl said, again, that Better was a Robin song.  And that the lyrics he'd written 'fit.'  He said he heard it, and decided to call it the 'Better' Song, as sort of a smart-ass move.  "Axl Rose being a smart ass, who would've thought, *chuckle chuckle."  I sort of got the vibe that he was talking about Robin being better than Slash...but that's only my inference. 

Other tidbits - After Robin and Richard's guitar-duo, Fortus kissed Robin on the forehead.?

Axl seemed to be intentionally saving Robin for last when he introduced the band...I think it's good that Buckethead's not there to make things all disjointed and wacky...Having a definitive lead-gun makes for a good rock band.? Page and Plant, Mick and Keith, Stevey T. and Joey P., Eddie and Dave, Axl and Robin.?

Axl leaned into and put his arms around his guitarists while singing a few times...I don't remember him doing this with Bumblefoot.?

Robin spent a pretty good deal of time jammin' in the back with Brain and the keyboardists.?

Dizzy should keep his shirt on.?

Sorry for how long this was...I can't get to sleep.? Luckily, I don't really need to:-)
?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 04:03:19 AM by sweatybronson » Logged
WhosGilby?
Rocker

Now we all know better!

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2006, 03:41:10 AM »

Richard Fortus was a fucking lunatic at the show today he was nuts it was awesome

So bitersweet this tragedy Won't ask for absolution
This melody, inside of me Still searches for solution
JennaSide
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2006, 03:43:27 AM »

he also yelled at someone in the crowd to "cut that shit out"? not sure what they were doing, i saw some people flipping him off, but i think it was something else.
I think he was yelling at a security gaurd, actually...

Anyway, it was certainly a killer show.  beer

I'm the luckiest girl alive.
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2006, 03:45:12 AM »

how are Bumblefoot's solo's in between songs, does  he just thrash or do somethin' cool?HuhHuh

i seen him do a solo just by tapping on his guitar. not using his pick
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2006, 04:06:04 AM »

how are Bumblefoot's solo's in between songs, does he just thrash or do somethin' cool?HuhHuh

i seen him do a solo just by tapping on his guitar. not using his pick

was it cool or what hihi

what about Finck, was his solo's like the 02' tour?HuhHuh??

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
sandman
Legend

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2006, 04:09:57 AM »

truly one of the best shows of my life. it was better than friday night's show. just incredible. this band is reaching heights i wasn't sure was possible.

where was lindsay lohan sitting???

any other sightings???

ifinglovevr - nice costume. i saw you losing shit when you were crowd surfing. funny stuff.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2006, 04:22:04 AM »

see everyone tonight, I am still drunk, I hope I make it Shocked

didn't make it... I tried, I was near death I had to go home from the bar.. Glad you all loved it..
sweatybronson
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2006, 04:43:55 AM »

I was looking for celebs, but didn't notice any...my friend said he saw Shannon Elizabeth and 'That dude from N Sync, Lance Bass' coming out together.  that p.o.s. doesn't deserve to be anywhere near that hottie, or Axl et al. for that matter...

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2006, 10:12:23 AM »

I had a great time meeting some people who weren't around the last two shows, madagas bono pil all cool dudes... beer Little fly thanks for those fries hihi, gnr now that was  a great chat lucky dog teaching HS Wink As usual darknemus aka craig, good times and what a great story, VFW baby rofl Jazjme , MrI.great to see you again,,, Veronica nice to meet you too

I think if someone would have stabbed my veins and took a glass they would have had heineken...

See eevryone for teh last show, should be amazing

sorry for the names I forgot, but you all were great, glad we could all chat... beer
nothingman
Headliner

Kickin' back in the shadows

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2006, 11:36:30 AM »

When Axl (I think it's Axl) plays with Lightsaber, it's a pretty hilarious moment. LOL
I'm not sure it's Axl because it's completely dark.

The moshing at this show was just insane. No way I would venture anywhere near the front (or middle), especially if you plan on having a drink in your hands. The crowd surfing was cool though.

Robin starts then stops a few times the opening chords to Chinese Democracy a few times before really kicking off the song.

Another funny moment is when Axl refers to us as the "diehards" "the first day motherfucking ticketbuyers".

...downloading motherfuckers...
totalsellout
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2006, 12:18:48 PM »

you guys left out one of the most important parts - the richard & robin solo before rocket queen - it was, umm, christina aguilera's "beautiful"   Shocked

i'm embarrassed that i know that.   Roll Eyes
Barbie567
Rocker

I must be losin' my mind - are you blind?

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2006, 12:46:55 PM »

Dizzy should keep his shirt on.?

Why, you jealous?   hihi
sweatybronson
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2006, 01:17:36 PM »

Not jealous...it just looked creepy for some reason.  ok
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 01:19:36 PM by sweatybronson » Logged
JennaSide
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2006, 01:21:20 PM »

The light sabre cracked me up, too.

I also loved the story about going out with a sweatshirt on and a hat and sunglasses and trying to make himself not be noticed and then a guy in a truck pulls up and goes "Yo Axl!" (in a pretty good brooklyn accent) haha... he's like "How the hell did he know?! that's how New York has always been, they just know" He said a lot of cool stuff about NY. He said it's always been about NY.

And yeah, he was teasing us by talking about Izzy all night.. that was pretty tormenting, everyone was expecting him to show up.

And he yelled at a security gaurd, I think. I'm not sure what he was trying to make someone stop doing, but the gaurd came back looking pretty embarassed.

He also stoped in the middle of a song to ask "is that guy alright?" after some crowd surfer fell really hard. This was right in front of me and you could hear his head the bars and I cringed - which is what Axl saw I think 'cause he asked if he was ok... and I guess he was. The guy was so drunk I'm sure he didn't notice, but I bet he's feelin' it today!

And then yeah, when he was stuttering before introducing Baz... that was kinda funny.

I also loved when he came up to the front of the stage between songs and was like "Yes?? People always do that, they scream 'AXL!' and it's like, yeah, I'm right here. What can I do for ya?"

And my personal highlight of the night: ?So Sunday night I met Ron and I talked to him and joked around and shot the shit with him by the stage door. So last night I was front row against the gate again and he came over by where I was at one point and recognized me. He smiled and nodded at me, this huge grin as if he had just ran into his best friend or something. I was blown away. I went back to the door again and he came out and was like "hey! You're back! I saw ya out there!" and he asked me which night I liked the best, etc. ?I can't get over how nice that guy is. He's so cool... he really appreciates the fans.

I'm the luckiest girl alive.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2006, 01:35:02 PM »

you guys left out one of the most important parts - the richard & robin solo before rocket queen - it was, umm, christina aguilera's "beautiful"? ?Shocked

i'm embarrassed that i know that.? ?Roll Eyes

Right, I think people are trying to pretend it didn't happen.  I actually thought it was amazing.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2006, 01:42:06 PM »

wow, good times were had by all.  I had a blast.  Can't wait for the Wednesday show. 
Barbie567
Rocker

I must be losin' my mind - are you blind?

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2006, 01:44:45 PM »

I also loved when he came up to the front of the stage between songs and was like "Yes?? People always do that, they scream 'AXL!' and it's like, yeah, I'm right here. What can I do for ya?"

I could think of a few things LOL!   ok
Annie
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2006, 01:47:22 PM »

Last night's show was amazing! The coolest thing happened in the line! I saw the guy who invited me up front with him at the Allstate Arena 4 years ago! It was so cool to be able to thank him again for his kindness! I can't believe we 2 Chicagoans met up!
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2006, 01:55:34 PM »

you guys left out one of the most important parts - the richard & robin solo before rocket queen - it was, umm, christina aguilera's "beautiful"? ?Shocked

i'm embarrassed that i know that.? ?Roll Eyes

Right, I think people are trying to pretend it didn't happen.? I actually thought it was amazing.

i love that song, christina is great  and i hope there's a bootleg of this show.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
chinesedemocracy05
Banned
Rocker

SPRECHMAN!

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2006, 02:26:53 PM »

Best fuckin show of all time. Everything was perfect, it was my first GNR show, and now im glad that i didnt go back in 2002. Thats not the guns show I wanted to see. The chinese democracy songs were unbelievable. Robin was the greatest guitar player of all time. Tommy was energetic as hell. Axl sang perfectly. It was unbelievable.

The only down points of the night would be the rediculous solos in between songs, and Sebastian Bach, it was really cool that he came out and sang on my michelle, but Axl was singing it perfect, and he was screaming, I would of liked it better had it just been Axl. Any ways i saw axl live and he was everything hes ever been built up to be and more.

Oh yeah (you're crazy i beleive) while you were waiting online you were with some red haired guy, he was the biggest douche bag ive ever met. He thought he was cool hi fiving people on the street, I hate him. That was some shit I wouldve pulled in 6th grade, he was a grown man, he made himself look like a fool.

They just thought Id know better. Better.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: