Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:11:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Re-recorded AFD Live or Studio w/new Guns ?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Re-recorded AFD Live or Studio w/new Guns ?  (Read 20495 times)
AxlsSweetChild
Headliner

proof the band stands the test of time

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2006, 10:23:41 PM »

how bout he just focus on CD, im fuckin tired of waitin and its drained the life out of me to not listen to the leaks and i just want an album out, i can listen to AFD whenever i want

If you play My World backwards, Axl announces the release date for Chinese Democracy
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2006, 01:19:22 AM »

All I want is to here the New band jam on the old songs with Axl's voice today. I'd like to here the new guys version, I really don't care what some of you fucken think. I was there in 87' they flat out took over and ran like the wind. Nobody could compair and still Nobody can! I'd like todays version and if its a bonus, I'll take it! The new band is really good and I want there new material too. Guns N' Roses feeds from Axl's Attitude don't forget it!  He's a fucken STAR..............

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2006, 10:44:37 AM »

Humm Grin

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2006, 11:17:46 PM »

I can see that elements of AFD's production are a little clunky now, in that its a 1980s recording. (NB: I'm refering to the production only, I love the old band, and the songs, and the album rocks, its a true classic) - so like in a dream world it would be nice to hear it redone with modern recording techniques that would capture more how GNR actually sounded when playing those songs live.

However...in the real world (not my dream senario) I think it would be a terrible idea because:

1. It would (with reason) create *even more* debate and comparisions with the new and old band, which to me would add less focus on listening to great songs and more on fights and crap.

2. Axl's voice has a different tonality to it these days. I'm not saying its worse or better, just that it would sound a little different. To some it might sound better, others worse, endless debate and distraction, see point 1.

3. Musically it would be a waste I feel. I mean, ok maybe axl thinks those songs were never put down quite as well as he would have liked, but at least theres a tollerable version out there (note I say that with a cringe cos to me its like one of the best albums of all time not just tollerable! LOL) - but in terms of production - the version has been out there sucessfully, its not like the recording is so bad its murdered the songs and made people think that good material was a pile of crap. So like - given theres only ever going to be a certain amount of material released before an artist dies - it seems better to work on new stuff - rather than repaint portraints that are already considered masterpieces just cos new brushes have since been invented.

4. I dont dispute the new band rock out now. They are cool - i'm not kocking them. And being the current line up of GNR - they have every right to play all of GNR's back catalogue live and stuff. However, it also remains that (axl aside) these are not the guys that wrote these songs. This means an AFD recorded with the new band is basicly a cover album at best. Now some cover albums are cool (I love TSI even tho its trendy to bash it) - but really - a cover album at this stage is a waste of the kickass abilities of the new band. I mean come on - we've heard songs that have rocked my world like IRS, better, maddagascar - such awesome songs - lets focus on recording more unreal new stuff to add to the world - so that what future generations will look back on is like 10 great GNR albums rather than just a few.

5. I think it would be bad PR for Axl. (Although maybe he doesn't care!) - but i mean theres a perception amongst some people that the lack of releases for the last 10-15 years whatever it is now, means he is done. So releasing songs that are 20 years old, would just create a bit of a "has been vibe" - kinda like going to see jaws 57, its like it just gives you the idea that these people have given all they have creatively - and now all thats left is to rehash what they've done. NB: Please dont flame me for this, i'm just saying SOME people would hold that view. I personally think AXL is the best front man of all time, a truely great musician, and i'm SURE he has amazing songs lined up for the future. I love the new material that i've heard - it shows that he could write amzing songs for many years to come that would be true classics. I'm just saying, although we think he is great, many out there dont, and releasing an old album not new material would fuel the fires of those that want to hate.

6. Its history and should be respected for being a product of its time. Its a bit like when speilberg decided to re-do ET and remove the swearing and the guns. Or lucas' endless tinkering with the original starwars films. AFD was a classic album and has entered the public conciousness as such. For this reason alone - messing with it is strange for people - it wouldn't matter now good the new versions were - if the solo doesnt sound the same, or the vocals the same - then its not the versions of the classic songs we all know. Maybe they'd be better or worse - but to me and thousands like me - right or wrong - those songs exist as they are on the album - and any other version i heard would maybe sound cool -  but still incorrect - because like "its not how the song goes" now in my head. I think what i'm trying to say is that in a way - once a song becomes famous - the ownership of a song goes from the artist to the general public (as a lawyer i know this isn't true legally - but i'm talking more mentally) - you know - like Rocket Queen is no longer Axl's song in a sence - its a song of Axls that millions of people now know and have their own connection to. So like hypotheticly - if he was to rerecord it with a totally new outtro and dump the existing ending (i stress - there is no plan of this nature - its just an example) - the millions like us would be singing the old ending in our heads. I suspect i'm rambling and making no sence. I'm just saying some art, like starwars in movies and and like AFD in records, becomes iconic and exists in public conciousness in its original form that way - and so to try and modify it, to my mind is not a good thing to do.

So summing up - I really hope they don't redo AFD - but rather make CD and a bunch of other soon to be classic albums.

Here is another thought i had. Someone suggested having AFD2 tracks as b-sides. To be that would be a really insidious thing to do, cos your messing with the casual fan then. You know like say madagascar becomes a huge hit in the style of NR, so that millions of non GNR fans hear it. So they rush out and buy the single. There on the back (or track 2 i guess these days) is like "Mr Brownstone" (new band). Being a new kid - they dont have AFD yet, So they think its the only version of the song and if they meet a GNR fan and talk GNR they think they know what song he likes when he say that one. Ok - i'm not making any sence cos i'm too tried. But i just think its pretty weird. its like fucking with history and the sence of who made songs and when  they were made.

Roll on the new albums instead!

McDuff
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2006, 11:27:52 PM »

Ok, shoot it down or go with it, but I'd like to here a studio or live version of the now to be Guns N Roses playing AFD songs. After the NY shows I've now come to the agreement in my mind that this band is what was once again and that is GNR. WELL DONE GUYS! And before you start to cry about the New material- new cd keep in mind just your thoughts on the topic!

That would be the worst thing EVER in the history of rock n roll as far as i'm concerned. You can't improve on perfection! Only those too young and dumb to understand would want AFD re-recorded with these hired hands.  rant

I agree,I don't think I'd want to hear the new band re-record the old songs for a studio album,they do them live so that's good enough.
Gordi
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2006, 04:16:49 AM »

There was a rerecorded version of SCOM on the credits to big daddy I think it was. That's the only place I've ever heard it, it's not on the soundtrack and as far as i know, never been officially released. I think that song would be a fair indicator of how the new AFD sounds.
If anyone has that song... you know  Wink
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2006, 05:01:37 AM »

Legal issues with the old band would prevent its release even if Axl wanted. He would need permission from the other 4 guys, which there is no chance of happening. If the Donnington reunion concerts had happened and all the rights to the songs handed over to Axl, then it would be possible.  But right now, no way!

I don't think it's necessary anyway. We can hear the new band's take on the songs from the live bootlegs. No need for a studio version. I think some guy remastered all those songs from live bootlegs and took out crowd noises to make a new AFD, i'm sure it would be easily found.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: