Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:08:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Elitism
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elitism  (Read 1953 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: May 27, 2006, 05:08:25 PM »

http://www.allthingsmetal.net/forum/viewthread.php?tid=757

This article really made me think. I certainly see myself as elitist. I don't see it as a good or bad thing, but it's just what I am.
godiva
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 05:24:45 PM »

First time I ever heard of it, never thought about it really. Just like music because I like it, dislike it because I dislike it. I think that your own standard has a lot to do with the kind of music you like or dislike, but from reading the article, elitism can be different for different people. Depends on your own values??? Did I misinterpret your article?
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 02:04:39 AM »

I thought elitism were for snobs.

If you're an elitist, then you believe that your way is the right and only way. Or that's what I've been told.

Just like music because I like it, dislike it because I dislike it. I think that your own standard has a lot to do with the kind of music you like or dislike

I agree. That's the natural thing to do.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 02:17:03 PM »

The thing is, elitists enjoy sharing new music with others, but it's annoying that many bands are simply ignored. I'd like to see some small bands make it in the business, so their style will live on and inspire others. The kvlt crowd that refuses to share music and isn't open minded isn't elitist; they're poseurs who want to maintain a n3kr0 image.
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 03:09:37 AM »

Haha, my friend is an Elitist.
I think that it is pointless.  Elitists think bands that are "Evolving the genre" are the only good bands and everything else is boring.  The problem is that musical opinions vary, and who REALLY decides who is "evolving the genre"

That article also brought up a big thing: Liking bands because of popularity(or unpopularity).  The same elitist friend is like this also(i know the two things are separate).  He chastises me for wearing my AC/DC shirt just because a lot of people do it(and he does say the same thing about GNR and other various bands, and he doesnt know shit about GNR).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: