Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:37:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Rock Throne
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock Throne  (Read 2311 times)
GNRLived
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: May 31, 2006, 08:45:28 AM »

Rock Throne
=============
Not sure what section this should belong in (I regard all other sections as the ?Recycle Bin?) so I will post it here and let the wind blow.

I remember reading an article about bands who have held the throne for "Greatest Rock band in the world". Only a few bands have ever held this. I was wondering does anyone here think that GNR could once again hold this or are we just going to have to wait for a new Rock giant to emerge.

I believe to be the greatest rock band in the world you have to have ALL of the following:
-- Great Music
-- Sell Out Stadiums in every corner of the world (North/Central/South America, East/West Europe, Asia. Basically you need to be able to sell out a Jungle in Kenya).
-- Be bigger than any other band AT THE TIME OF THEIR EXISTENCE.
-- Be Rock N Roll (No Simon & Garfunkel, No Pop/Rock Jovi).

Not many bands have held this throne. To me it was:
-- Stones -> The Doors -> Led Zepplin -> GNR -> ??

In the article (Which I would have to dig up, and could, its online somewhere) they had Aerosmith -> Van Halen in between guns. They also mentioned that no band has taken the throne from guns( but that they no longer have it themselves). I dont believe Aerosmith/Van Halen ever held this throne as both bands could not be considered the biggest band in Europe at the time.

Other bands that dont qualify:
-- U2: Although the biggest band in the world for the last 10 yrs, they follow from the Beatles, Floyd and dont possess the RnR attitude. These are not a direct decendent from the Stones(Creators).
-- Sabbath: Had the music, but could not be considered the biggest band in the world at their time.
-- Nirvana: Although they could probs sell out any stadium in the world now( if kurt wasnt Brown Bread ) they couldnt at the time.
-- Oasis: Can sell out a stadium in Europe(but not anywhere else) & U2 are a bigger band during their existence. They have the Rock N Roll, but not sure about the quality of their music.
-- Bob Marley: No RnR.

Can the new guns take back the throne?
Any guesses on where the next band could emerge from (Brit Rock Scene, New York, L.A)?
Anyone give a shit?
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 09:03:04 AM »

Err ... isnt this a discussion of other bands belonging in the "Bad Obsession" section?

Oh yeah, The Doors - hah. And its Led Zeppelin.

But, for the sake of arguement, the Who definately needs to be on there.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 09:05:01 AM by Tomorrows » Logged
BD888
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 09:19:21 AM »

I don't think the Doors were that big outside of the US.

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 09:32:30 AM »

well, if they get the recognition, roadstar could defo do it.

html sucks
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 10:54:42 AM »

How exactly is U2 not rock n' roll?   
GNRLived
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 11:13:15 AM »

U2 are not Rock N Roll for many reasons.
-- One and most important their music is more Rock n Pop than Rock N Roll.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 11:25:19 AM »

That's not a reason, Socrates, that's a conclusion.? Please share with us when you're ready to compile your "many reasons."
? ?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 11:28:31 AM »

That's not a reason, Socrates, that's a conclusion.  Please share with us when you're ready to compile your "many reasons."

well for one they dont write badass rocking songs with awesome riffs and badass solos lol

html sucks
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 11:33:43 AM »

well for one they dont write badass rocking songs with awesome riffs and badass solos lol

Awesome riff?  The Fly.  Badass solo?  Bullet the Blue Sky.  Those are just examples. 

Also, the Doors weren't big on guitar riffs and solos.  Are they not rock n' roll?
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 11:44:10 AM »

Well how about Queen?, they sold out Stadiums in all corners of the world, had great music, were bigger than any other band for a time their carreer, have given the best preformance by any band ever done....
GNRLived
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 07:02:18 PM »

Unfortunately Queen failed to break the states at the height of their popularity. As I said a lot of great bands have some of the attributes required but not all of them at once. Now queen could fill any stadium all over the world. But not back then. They had the majority of their success in Europe.

U2 do not have amazing solo's. The edges guitar is repeptitive and effects driven. The doors had multiple organ solo's and quite a few guitar solos. There is much more complexity in The Doors music than U2s.

Its nothing against U2. Seen them live this year and they always put on a great show. Just when I see them Live the Edge does not "Amaze" me. Bono does not "Amaze" me. Larry does not "Amaze" me. As a collective unit they are one of the greatest "Rock" bands ever but not one of the greatest Rock N Roll bands.
The fly is a nice riff and their are some songs that have nice melodic guitar, but nothing thats gunna drop your jaw. Doesnt mean its not a great song. Just not something that fits the type of stuff most Rock N Roll guitar gods aspire to play.

Just my opinion.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 09:20:14 AM »

U2 do not have amazing solo's. The edges guitar is repeptitive and effects driven. The doors had multiple organ solo's and quite a few guitar solos. There is much more complexity in The Doors music than U2s.

Its nothing against U2. Seen them live this year and they always put on a great show. Just when I see them Live the Edge does not "Amaze" me. Bono does not "Amaze" me. Larry does not "Amaze" me. As a collective unit they are one of the greatest "Rock" bands ever but not one of the greatest Rock N Roll bands.
The fly is a nice riff and their are some songs that have nice melodic guitar, but nothing thats gunna drop your jaw. Doesnt mean its not a great song. Just not something that fits the type of stuff most Rock N Roll guitar gods aspire to play.

Just my opinion.

Fair enough, though I kindly disagree.  In particular, I don't think guitar riff/solo centric rock that the "guitar gods aspire to play" has a monopoly on rock n' roll.  In addition to U2 and basically every great 3-chord punk rock band, you'd be leaving out a lot of great bands from your narrow definition of rock n' roll.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 01:04:44 AM »

If we are using this timeline:

Not many bands have held this throne. To me it was:
-- Stones -> The Doors -> Led Zepplin -> GNR -> ??

then I don't think U2 belongs up there.  GNR was dethroned in 92-93 - U2 is probably the biggest band since then, but not throne worthy.  They're like King Theoden in lord of the rings, hes on top, but he pales into comparison to Aragorn (Axl, haha)...return of the king baby! hahah

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: