Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2024, 03:33:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228032 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Dani California is Stolen.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dani California is Stolen.  (Read 11633 times)
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2006, 11:10:52 PM »

Long story short?? Let's not let Petty similarities ( ok? hihi) ruin two great songs.

That's brilliant.  hihi

They talk about the writing of the songs on their dvd, which is in the boxset. Maybe this was mentioned on there.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2006, 11:22:51 PM »

Yeah they do sound the same (and anyone denying that is just fooling themselves, take off the blinders), but I don't see what the big deal is....If Petty doesn't care then why should any of you???  Must be a slow news day or something.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2006, 11:53:47 PM »

We should care because we should strive for original, interesting music, not recycled songs.
spacebrain5000
Rocker

feelin' like a space brain one more time tonight..

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2006, 12:58:24 AM »

the rest of the song sounds nothing like dani california
I'm not even a huge RHCP fan but I mean, i feel the need to defend them because the thing about music is that it's really just a series of combinations of notes(and rhythms, etc). and there are really only so many combinations, and sometimes they overlap, but that doesn't make it a rip off...

robots.
damien24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2006, 04:25:45 AM »

i knew they're a bunch of theives.  i just knew it.   they steal their songs from tom petty,  they steal their clothes from walmart, they steal their guitars from the backs of vans of hard working indie-bands-  i hate them now more then ever now.   
damien24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2006, 06:24:17 AM »

i've given more thought to this subject, 
im wondering if this band has stolen any other great songs,  i mean who knows if 'under the bridge' or 'love rollercoaster' is'nt based off some other song too?   i cant believe people drone on and on about how 'great' the guitarist guy is- how goddamn amazing he is?   i'd be great too if i just ripped off other songs-   hell, i'd even be smart about it and ripoff a song thats not as popular.     
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2006, 08:26:56 AM »

im wondering if this band has stolen any other great songs,  i mean who knows if 'under the bridge' or 'love rollercoaster' is'nt based off some other song too?

well...Love Rollercoaster is a cover song so.. hihi

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2006, 12:47:46 PM »

I'm not sure if "dani california" is a rip-off or not....but it sure is a lame song.

I finally heard it today on the way to work....and as usual, the red hot chili peppers continue to baffle me with the success of their mediocre music.

this damn song sounds just like every other lame RHCP song...nothing great from the guitars, and the singer just talks in rhythm to the music in his stupid "rap-talk" style.

I guess if you do a show with a sock hanging from your genitals, people will think you're cool no matter what.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 12:52:51 PM by blues rocker » Logged
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2006, 12:51:56 PM »

They definitely have some similarities but it's not 100 percent, exactly the same.

Although I'm not impressed that the peppers have copied somebody.  Embarrassed
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2006, 01:03:18 PM »

I love the Peppers, but I do admit that a few weeks ago I heard Last dance with Mary Jane on the radio and it hit me. There is absolutely NO WAY this can be a coincidence.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2006, 01:37:36 PM »

I love the Peppers, but I do admit that a few weeks ago I heard Last dance with Mary Jane on the radio and it hit me. There is absolutely NO WAY this can be a coincidence.

Theres no way songs can have similar chord arrangements?
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2006, 01:48:53 PM »

Theres no way songs can have similar chord arrangements?

You're right.? With as much success as RHCP has have, why would they knowingly copy an already popular song?? I just chalk this up as coincidence, nothing more.

gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2006, 02:05:19 PM »

This happenned a few years ago with Mick Jagger.  He wrote a song that sounded similar to some song by KD Lang that he had nver heard before.  I think that some of you without good taste and sophistication are just looking for ways to bash the Chilis. 
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2006, 02:07:49 PM »

Have the chilli's released a statement about this subject? Dani California sounding similar to a song by mr. Perry.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2006, 03:13:54 PM »

Ahhh!!! The album is good.

It's not a masterpiece... but it's good. I like it alright and all, but come on, this album is overrated.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2006, 06:23:08 PM »

its just a pity that petty actually stole the riff from the jayhawks waiting for the sun

http://www.mp3.com/the-jayhawks/artists/3927/songs.html  click the sample mp3 half way down

hihi

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
RHCPfan 777
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2006, 05:18:19 PM »

i've given more thought to this subject,?
im wondering if this band has stolen any other great songs,? i mean who knows if 'under the bridge' or 'love rollercoaster' is'nt based off some other song too??

That makes sense because who knows how many people have listened to the song and it is regarded as one of the best riffs of all time   and with all this no one noticed the riff was taken from someone     

just shut up and let your balls drop

Markus Asraelius
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2006, 07:32:16 PM »

i've given more thought to this subject,?
im wondering if this band has stolen any other great songs,? i mean who knows if 'under the bridge' or 'love rollercoaster' is'nt based off some other song too??

? ? ? ? ? ? That makes sense because who knows how many people have listened to the song and it is regarded as one of the best riffs of all time? ?and with all this no one noticed the riff was taken from someone? ? ?

? ? ? ?just shut up and let your balls drop

you are out of line!
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2006, 10:40:58 PM »

Just listened to the Tom Petty / Chilis comparison and yeah, they're definitely similar aren't they! Shocked

But who knows, maybe it is just by chance that they sound similar.
I really doubt the Chilis would need to steal songs from other people to make their own.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
damien24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2006, 03:19:14 AM »

im wondering if this band has stolen any other great songs,  i mean who knows if 'under the bridge' or 'love rollercoaster' is'nt based off some other song too?

That makes sense because who knows how many people have listened to the song and it is regarded as one of the best riffs of all time   and with all this no one noticed the riff was taken from someone     

just shut up and let your balls drop

you are out of line!

i agree,  your balls have nothing to due with these theiving thieves,  no ones brought this up-  but i noticed while watching the video that they stole their clothes from other bands too-  how tasteless. 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: